Natural Selection 2 is out, costs $24.99

I have fond memories of playing Natural Selection, arguably one of the finest mods for the original Half-Life. The mix of action and RTS elements, plus the widely different character classes, made for some unique (and often terrifying) multiplayer matches.

Now, 10 years to the day after the mod’s 1.0 release, Natural Selection 2 has arrived on Steam—and it’s no mere mod. Natural Selection 2 is a standalone game based on its own, proprietary engine, and according to the official debut announcement, it was over five years in the making. The launch trailer suggests the wait was worth it:

Yeah, that definitely looks nice. Early reviews on Metacritic look overwhelmingly positive, as well.

You can purchase Natural Selection 2 right here on Steam. The asking price is $24.99 for the regular version, $39.99 for the Deluxe Edition, and $74.99 for a four-pack, in case you plan to enlist your friends. (The Deluxe Edition includes the original soundtrack, concept art, wallpapers, custom Steam avatars, and an "exclusive in-game marine model.")

Oh, and for what it’s worth, the game doesn’t sound too taxing on hardware. Steam recommends a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and at least a Radeon HD 5770 or a GeForce GTS 450.

• rrr

Another generic sci-fi shooter. Yawn.

• golemaster

Tremulous 2.0?

• squeeb

Its a great game. I’ve seen it mature from an unplayable alpha to where it is today.

• kamikaziechameleon

For a small developer color me interested.

• shaq_mobile

8 guys. Buy it!

• eitje

dudes should really hire a PR firm to do their video.

• Grigory

Maybe I am getting old but the trailer was a little too frantic for my taste. NS1 had a certain horror aspect to it that this game seems to be mostly missing. Mostly.

• Ethyriel

It’s hard to say, they could have been focusing on combat rather than building defenses. The later cuts seem to suggest a lot of the anxious RTS elements.

• travbrad

Yep I think the trailer was just trying to be “exciting”. It’s always better to check out gameplay videos of a game to see if you’ll like it. Trailers are rarely a good representation of a game.

There’s still plenty of building or repairing defenses/equipment/etc, and the game still relies heavily on the commanders (who is in the top-down RTS view)

• Sargent Duck

Yep, the elements of the first NS1 are there, compelete with turrets. This trailer only shows to highlight the action, but there are video’s out there of the gameplay.

Recording of an actual Marine game: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhu9T0Hn7nM[/url<] Recording of an actual Alien game: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duiNW-hoDzw[/url<]

• Grigory

Thanks, guys! 🙂

Edit: I bought it after watching the videos. I loved NS1 and NS2 really does seem to re-capture lots of the good stuff of NS1. :]

• Bensam123

Yeah, if this game came out like five years ago when it was supposed to the wait might’ve been worth it, but it didn’t…

If you’re interested specifically in the hybrid RTS/FPS genre Empires also does it and so does Nuclear Dawn. Empires is a mod and Nuclear Dawn a standalone game. I would say Nuclear Dawn does a better job of it then Natural Selection does too. The graphics aren’t really any better and you can have ND for like $15, less when it’s on sale.

I’m still unsure as to why they built their own engine from the ground up, it doesn’t look all that amazing, it doesn’t look like it does anything special. The source engine could’ve covered all of this and they could’ve released the game a lot sooner… or Crytek… or Unreal… or Frostbite…

You know it’s sorta interesting, over the last few years all the good mods have dried up and now are being released as actual games for $15 or so dollars. Just looking at Steams front page right now, like half the games on it look like something that used to be a Source mod. I guess people finally figured out what their time was worth.

• Sam125

[quote<]I'm still unsure as to why they built their own engine from the ground up[/quote<] If they have the programming talent for it, then why not? It's pretty clear this game is all about the game itself and team play. Graphics takes a backseat in those situations so it's not a huge negative IMO. Now, if this were a AAA title on the other hand... [quote<]Thats about what NS2 is worth IMO, $10-15. I would buy it at that too, but $25 is pushing it.[/quote<] Killing Floor was $20 when it was first released and that was quite literally a free mod converted to a standalone game and sold as is. Considering how well that game did on Steam, $25 isn't such a bad price point.

• Bensam123

It takes longer and costs more in the long run as you’re paying people to build something that doesn’t need to be built. It’s like reinventing the wheel.

Just because another game sells for a lot and it’s also not worth it doesn’t mean this game is worth it even if it’s better. Same could be said about the $60 price point or collectors edition of crappy games for $100.

• Sam125

That may be true for a business but it sounds like this was a group of developers who are either friends and working on a project (hence the lax release date) or a group of developers who worked for a cut of the game sales. It was probably a good experience. Nuclear Dawn does look pretty good just from a graphics standpoint, but again, graphics aren’t everything and how the game plays is much more important.

What? I thought Killing Floor was totally worth twenty bucks. I didn’t pay full price but even if I did pay full price I felt that I certainly got my money’s worth from the amount of gameplay I got out of it.

• Bensam123

The gameplay in Nuclear Dawn is pretty sweet too. I haven’t played it in awhile, but last time I fired it up for a late night game there were only like three servers with a handful of people in them. That wasn’t during primetime mind you. I hate when good games die out.

I bought KF, but I wouldn’t pay $20 for it. I bought it during one of the steam sales for like $8. It’s a fun diversion, but it is most definitely quite rough around the edges… Very rough.

• shaq_mobile

One of the issues they had is they were not able to do the “creep growth” that they wanted to in Source. Overall I think it was a wise decision. They may have had to wait a year longer, but the game looks much cooler and doesn’t have that Source feel.

• David

If it’s as good as the original mod I’m happy to give them $25. In fact, I did give them $25 a month ago to pre-order it.

• The Dark One

In the Giant Bomb Quick Look EX for the game, the Unknown Worlds guys said that they’d placed the source code for a large portion of the game in the install directory, which is probably something they couldn’t have done with a licensed engine.

For what it’s worth, they [i<]were[/i<] working with Source at one point: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMMiKKv7g7s[/url<]

• Bensam123

Yeah, that was a long time ago though… I played the original NS and kept up with NS2 till they decided to make it a normal pay game.

I didn’t hear about them doing that with the source code… I can’t imagine that going over well with hacking…

• David

So, you kept up with it until they decided to get paid for their efforts?

• Bensam123

Yeah… As companies like that tend to go under or don’t make it to production. There are plenty of those. I’ll pay for the game when it comes around, if it comes around, for what I think it’s worth. That’s what happens when you make a product.

Good play on sentiment though.

• dmitriylm

Why does everyone look like Master Chief?

• ULYXX

To trick halo fans, they dont know what a good FPS is? 😛

• sweatshopking

they seem to, halo 4 is a 91% on metacritic. TBH i hate halo. but it seems a lot of people don’t.

• shaq_mobile

That reminds me of an old quote from Churchill about the best argument against democracy…

• NeelyCam

For the FIRST time in a long time, I feel like I should build a PC gaming rig again..

• anotherengineer

Check out those requirements, just look for a 4yr old PC lying around somewhere and you are go to go.

I will sell you and old s939 4600+ with an x1900xt if you want 😉

• Bensam123

What I was thinking. But knowing Neely, she was probably trolling. XD

• NeelyCam

Well, did you see the “FIRST” in there..?

Truth be told, I don’t think my SB rig would be able to play it (I don’t have a PC with a discrete card at the moment)..

• BoBzeBuilder

Neely is a she? MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!

• sweatshopking

man, we’ve been using her name, tiffany, for like EVER. where have you been?

• Bensam123

Tiffany is hawt.

• shaq_mobile

lol thats awesome. i had no idea human females were so good at trolling.

• Bensam123

…they aren’t.

• ULYXX

You can never be so sure. Maybe were falling for bait as we speak!

• shaq_mobile

wink wink

• travbrad

Those requirements must be for playing at 1024×768 or something. With my 2500K @ 4.5ghz and a GTX460 @ 800mhz I had to turn off/down most of the settings for it to run smoothly at 1080p (and it still drops down to 40FPS sometimes).

[url=http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119506&st=20<]If you check out their forums[/url<] the only people who can run smoothly at max settings have very fast video cards, like 7970/680 or SLI/CF. It's a really fun game though, and already my favorite multiplayer FPS of the year. 🙂

• shaq_mobile

Don’t let those requirements mislead you. This game is demanding. My OCed 7950 and 3570K @ 4.4ghz with 8gb ram on medium settings on my 2560×1440 IPS runs between 30-100fps. Sometimes gets down to 15 during certain super intense battles.

If you’ve never played NS, it’s fast. Really fast. The skill cap is extremely high with some lifeforms/marine setups. The difference between you winning and losing often hangs on those few frames. The game ranges from the slow building/repairing and jogging across the map to phasing in and shooting aliens flying across the room at 80mph. You’ll want those frames. Trust me.

Also, the dev team is 8(?) strong. Built their own engine. Built massive maps on that engine. It’s worth $25. Natural Selection 1 was the highest quality mod for half life and still has an active playerbase… 10 years later. NS2 is a bit different, but about on par with the last one. Better in some ways, worse in others. Get the game ASAP if you wanna play commander. People are still somewhat forgiving if you’re learning, so now is your chance.

• dashbarron

Since you like to go FIRST and want everyone to know it, maybe TR should hang you FIRST and make a public example of it.