Ace of Spades combines Minecraft, Team Fortress

You know Minecraft has hit the big time when it’s the most popular game on Xbox Live, ahead of even the Call of Duty crowd. Now, imagine what would happen if Minecraft‘s sandbox building elements and retro graphics were combined with a class-based multiplayer shooter. That’s the idea behind Ace of Spades, an FPS game developed by the folks who created RuneScape.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun took an early look at the game in 2011 and now has word that the final version is heading to Steam in December. The beta apparently has quite a following, with 2.5 million installs to its name, and I can see why. This looks like a version of Team Fortress where you get to build your own fort. How can you not want to try that out?

The official website is a little short on details, but you can sign up to receive email updates about the game. There’s also a Facebook page if you feel compelled to like what you see.

• shaq_mobile

I still don’t get the appeal. I tried it out and it just didn’t click. I love city sims and other sims (lol go sim farm!!!) but this didn’t do it for me. I guess I got all that out of me when I mapped for half life all through middle and high school. I’m pretty stoked that people are exploring their creativity in video games through it though. I had a guy buy a computer from me just so his kids could play it together in the living room (they got rid of their TV.)

• Malphas

Looks like cheap cash-in crap to me. Cynically emulate the general aesthetic of a much more popular game but don’t bother with the hassle of its complex game mechanics, and instead just shovel in the same old dated multiplayer shooter gameplay we’ve seen repeated endlessly the past decade now.

• Spunjji

I’m sorry, are you saying it’s copying the general aesthetic of Minecraft or TF2? Because Minecraft definitely does not have complex game mechanics outside of that which the player base create for themselves, and it looks nothing like TF2. 😉

• Malphas

I mean it’s copying the aesthetics of Minecraft obviously. To be perfectly honest I’ve never played Minecraft and I’m not 100% familiar with it, but was under the impression it was quite innovative and original, which this game clearly isn’t as it’s just implemented the gameplay of a generic multiplayer FPS.

I don’t know if that’s fair; You’re complaining that it looks like Minecraft (where the world is made of single-sized building blocks) because it’s set in a world made of single-sized building blocks.

I suspect the aesthetics were intentional but you seem to be moaning about [i<]the lack of complex game mechanics[/i<]? Why exactly? Ace of Spades isn't even the same genre. It's an instant-action multiplayer shooter where Minecraft is somewhere between a MMORPG and a sandbox sim. [list<][*<]Ace of Spades and Minecraft are alike in that they're based on player-editable block worlds [/*<][*<]Counterstrike and ARMA are alike in that they are both objective-based modern shooters.[/*<][/list<] I don't see ARMA players moaning that CS lacks huge open game worlds and depth, because (guess what!) they're completely different games with different feels and different gameplay. They are both FPS games that involve shooting the other team member with guns modelled on real weapons; [b<]OMG COUNTERSTRIKE CAME FIRST, ARMA LOOKS LIKE CHEAP CASH-IN CRAP.[/b<] [quote<]the same old dated multiplayer shooter gameplay[/quote<] Uh, yeah - because CoD, BF3, CS, Arma, TF2, and all those other dated multiplayer shooters let you dig your own trenches, build your own bridges and covertly tunnel into enemy bases. Forgive the sarcasm, but this is perhaps the most interesting thing to happen to your "[i<]same old dated multiplayer shooter[/i<]" in at least [b<]a decade[/b<].

• Bensam123

Not seeing any sort of Beta signup… There are a lot of servers with a lot of people in them though.

Another one of said mentioned mods trying for money.

• Walkintarget

<Heavy>Who send all these babies to fight ???</Heavy>

• lilbuddhaman

Played an alpha, it was rough back then (and slow) (and buggy obv) but the core gameplay was interesting.

• donkeycrock

Played it. Really boring.

• yogibbear

If one party can start rocketing the bridge while the other team starts mining a tunnel from your spawn to behind the enemy spawn… this game could be GENIOUS!

• Forge

Interesting. Minecraft with guns/bombs. I’ll play that.

• sweatshopking

yeah. me too. the lack of actual game in minecraft was the main reason my account sits idle.

• brute

legos, laser noises and index fingers – this isnt new stuff.

• rrr

There is already such game, called BrickForce. Feel fee to try, my last experience with it was horribly buggy.