VivoTab RT slips to $549, keyboard included

Hoping to stick a Windows RT tablet under the Christmas tree this year? Then you might be hard-pressed to do better than Asus’ VivoTab RT. The device seems to have gotten a fresh price cut, and right now, both Newegg and Amazon have it listed for $549.99—that’s 50 bucks down from the launch price.

Of course, the trimmed price tag includes the VivoTab RT’s keyboard dock accessory. While the dock doesn’t actually come in the box, Asus is letting folks request one for free until December 31. Users just need to register on Asus’ website and provide a purchase invoice and a photo of the label with the serial number.

As we pointed out in our review, the VivoTab RT is well-built, offers solid performance, and elegantly combines standalone tablet and removable keyboard dock components into a pseudo-netbook. In addition to a full QWERTY keyboard and touchpad, the dock adds extra connectivity and battery capacity, bringing web browsing battery life to over 21 hours by our count. On the flip side, Windows RT is still very much unproven, and its lack of support for x86 software curbs its appeal.

Asus initially intended to charge $599 for the VivoTab RT without the $199 keyboard dock. Just before the launch, the firm decided to throw in the keyboard for free. With this latest price cut, the VivoTab RT is looking like a potentially better value proposition than Microsoft’s Surface, which starts at $499 sans keyboard. The $599 Surface comes with a Touch Cover, but that accessory doesn’t include extra battery cells—and, since it attaches magnetically rather than with a hinge, the Surface appears awkward to use on your lap. (Thanks to Neowin for the link.)

• trackerben

I’ve tried the VivoTab for about an hour. It’s like nicely built netbook, although the keyboard does not correctly [i<]snick[/i<] into the connector unless you guide it somewhat carefully. WinRT runs fast and fluid and so does the Office RT which appears to be much like the stripped-down x86 version. But it should never have been priced at or beyond the Microsoft Surface, which is of a far better design and quality. Asus's push gives the sour impression that OEMs are looking to establish an overly high price umbrella in order to provide for indefensibly high profit streams into the future. But the category as it is evolving simply does not lend itself to this strategy. Consumers aren't going to pay for something as costly as the premium tablets and yet looks and performs mostly like a nice yet cheap Atom-class subnotebook in its Transformered configuration. If Asus should sell the tablet only at no more than $399, and the battery-bank keyboard at around $99, then they would be offering a viable second-tier alternative to the Surface.

• Anarchist

hey asus, keep the keyboard, mark-down the tablet to $329 and see if that stirs any activity.

• MadManOriginal

If notebooks like this are going to be available, I’m not sure how much Win 8 tablets of any sort will sell a lot at $500+ [url<]http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/ASUS-VivoBook-X202E-Touchscreen/productID.257339400[/url<] (The only bad thing about that one is the small battery.)

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t see much hope for humanity if people buy these ripoffs. They could sell them for $200 and make it up on the software if they wanted, since you don’t have a choice otherwise. I’m not even sure if you can format them and install linux, with all the drm on these things. Being $550, you’re better off to buy a cheap laptop that can run real programs, since most people already have a touchy app device with their smartphone, which also happens to be more functional. Even if you buy an older device with window 7, shills should be happy to know Microsoft offers an upgrade for $15. There isn’t any downside to avoiding these RT tablets that I can see.

• MadManOriginal

You know, your post could be about any tablet on the market.

• l33t-g4m3r

The nexus 7 is cheaper and you can unlock it, and android has multiple stores.

• sweatshopking

oh no! woe is humanity for they bought an overpriced computer!!!

• Beelzebubba9

Good point because what everyone actually wants is a poorly built Windows 7 laptop with a terrible TN screen and half the battery life of a tablet at only twice the weight and size!

I’m glad we had this chat. 🙂

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t see much difference between them besides the OS, and you can do far more with windows 7. Also: [url=http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-X202E-DH31T-11-6-Inch-Touch-Laptop/dp/B009F1I1C4?tag=duckduckgo-d-20<]THIS.[/url<] There is no point to a RT tablet other than wasting your time and money, unless you return it, then you're just wasting time.

• Beelzebubba9

My point was that the laptop you linked is twice as heavy as the tablet, comes with a terrible TN screen and will likely get much worse battery life. I’m not trying to argue that one solution is “better” than the other or that Windows RT is a compelling option, but if a consumer’s usage model is better aligned to what a tablet provides then a tablet is a better purchase for them.

I’m surprised at how hard it is for computer enthusiasts to [i<]actually[/i<] accept that their usage models and preferences do not reflect the majority of the market without having to devolve to condescension or the dismissal of contrary perspectives.

• l33t-g4m3r

Laptop I linked to? I did no such thing until AFTER your post, and it’s the win8 pro edition of the RT tablet for the same price, and like I said earlier, THERE IS NO POINT TO THE RT TABLET. Other than ripping you off and forcing you to use Microsoft’s App store. Nothing I’m saying here has anything to do with personal preference when both are the SAME PRICE, both have touch screens and access to Metro Apps, but the Pro edition can run win32 programs. The RT tablet is a ripoff scam, and it’s [i<]very[/i<] sad to see people here trying to foist off an inferior product on people who don't know better, much like a slimy used car salesman. Sure, older windows 7 laptops do have downsides, but price and app availability aren't one of them. However, if you really have a hard on for low resolution tiny touch screens, like you apparently do, then Windows 8 Pro hybrids are a much better deal than the RT. It's not like the RT is selling for $300 less than the Pro, because it's not. They're selling for the exact same price, and at that point, I'd take App availability over a small difference in battery life. But if you still want an ARM tablet, your best option is a nexus 7, as it's far cheaper and has more available programs. RT tablets are just not a smart purchase at this time, in any possible way, even if that's what you like. Not until a massive price drop and the RT app ecosystem has grown.

• Beelzebubba9

[quote=”l33t-g4m3r”<] Laptop I linked to? I did no such thing until AFTER your post, and it's the win8 pro edition of the RT tablet for the same price, and like I said earlier, THERE IS NO POINT TO THE RT TABLET. [/quote<] You do realize that you linked to a Windows 8 laptop sort-of ultrabook with a 5400 RPM hard drive, a battery an iPad would laugh at and a TN touchscreen, right? Not the 'win8 pro edition of the RT tablet' as you claim. It does pretty clearly say 'laptop' all over the page. Also, looks like a laptop in pictures. And doesn't actually address any of my points about screen quality, battery life, or form factor. But that's ok, reading comprehension is a construct of the liberal media conspiracy so it's smart of you to keep up the good fight. After all, when I wrote this: [quote="Beelzebubba9"<] I'm not trying to argue that [snip] Windows RT is a compelling option... [/quote<] I [b<]clearly[/b<] meant low resolution touchscreens give me an erection. Glad to see one real, true, American out there is willing to stand up to the truth all of the Sheeple can't see.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] reading comprehension is a construct of the liberal media conspiracy so it's smart of you to keep up the good fight [/quote<] lolirl

• Arag0n

Without the surface and only the Asus Vivo RT at 800$ the Windows RT market would never be able to kick start. Now the surface is by no means cheap, but it’s selling at a good rate and it’s going to shape the Windows Store market and show the way for RT to be successful, just as Nexus devices did for Android at the beginning.

• PixelArmy

Why would I want a free box?

• MadManOriginal

I’ve all but decided that I will get an x86 Windows 8 tablet.

• Srsly_Bro

🙂 Can we be friends?

• MadManOriginal

Only after a week of meme punishment.

• NeelyCam

I will resist until Haswell is out

• Beelzebubba9

But what about Valley View?!

• sweatshopking

WHAT ABOUT SWEET VALLEY HIGH?!

• sweatshopking

compelling product at that price. would be better with an atom or i3, but it’s not bad for 20 hours with arm

• BobbinThreadbare

You can get an Asus Transformer for 399. Is Win RT worth 150 bucks?

• sweatshopking

IMO, yeah. i really dislike android. i get that i might be a minority, but that 150$ gets me windows network support, office, a UI i like, and other stuff. i wouldn’t purchase another android tablet for any amount. the one i have, with ics, isn’t use AT ALL because i dislike it so much.

• BobbinThreadbare

I have had no trouble accessing samba shares or DNLA devices with the couple Android devices I have.

That just seems like a huge difference in price to me, for not much in the way of actual features, just banking on personal preference.

• MadManOriginal

[quote<]...dock doesn't actually come in the box...[/quote<] So, no dock in a box?

• phez

Asus, wheres my Transformer Book?

• chuckula

ARM IS DYING!

And now time for a play:

ARM Fanboy dad to son: “Where did you learn to make idiotic and hyperbolic posts like that when the drop in price is related to a whole slew of factors including macroeconomic conditions, software availability, and supply chain management?”

Son: “IT WAS YOU! I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!”

• 5150