Friday night topic: Whose tweets to track?

Ok, I’ll admit, I have a bit of a Twitter problem. Checking my feed is, quite honestly, a great way to find relevant info and breaking news about the things we cover here. It’s also a bit of a compulsion that sometimes veers toward the unhealthy. Thing is, I’ve taken some time to seek out and follow some people who have interesting things to say that are relevant to my interests, so naturally, there’s lots of good stuff to see in there—everything from game developers to comedians and joke accounts to news sources.

I even tweet some myself.

But I’m wondering: who’s worth following that I’ve not found yet? Have any recommendations of Twitter accounts to follow? If so, which ones and why? Discuss.

• lilbuddhaman

Seeing as how both Twitter and Facebook have been flooded with advertising that is not only purposely interwoven into “real” content but also tailored to your data habits that rarely even relate to your actual buying interests (whether in “private” or “public” usage of the site ), I use neither.

Someone call the grammar police on that run-on.

• yogibbear

Only twats tweet about twatting about and other generally twitterish twattle tweets of twattish twit-esque twat-worthy twatty-mouthed TWEETFACE!

• willmore

GearBox for golden keys in BL2. I created an account just to do that. I tweated once to say that there’s no reason to follow me because I’m just here to do that. Sadly, I can’t get the iOS Twitter app to do push notifications, so I still have to poll it–which sort of defeats the whole purspose for me.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Same here. @GearboxSoftware and @DuvalMagic (Randy Pitchford’s account). They also post codes through the Gearbox Facebook, and once they did it through a Claptrap episode on YouTube.

However, I have stopped caring so much about those codes now that I know about the Geary chests (look it up; it’s guaranteed purples and you can do it as much as you want). I’ve gotten some VERY nice weapons out of it. None nicer than my level 50 orange amp shield that does just shy of 40,000 in amp damage and takes absolutely nothing away from my capacity, but some very nice ones regardless ๐Ÿ™‚

• willmore

Yeah, I’ve not done them because they require multiplayer, right? On that note, friend me on stream and you can help. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• moose17145

Like a few others here, i dont tweet, and i dont facebook. I fully understand why you follow it, or at least some of it, as its beneficial to what tou do for a living… but honestly the whole social media thing to me left me feeling MORE isolated. Not less. I prefer to get outside and do thing in the real world. Seriously… there is some pretty cool stuff out there for those willing to venture outside. Why should i look at some pretty picture someone took at a lake when i can just go there and see it in person

• Heighnub

How would you know about the lake if not for the picture?

• ronch

People post enough lame stuff on Facebook, and I sometimes feel the urge to unfriend some people for posting things I don’t give the least crap about which just clutter my main page. Now imagine if there’s this guy who tweets every single thing he’s thinking 24/7 to you? Like I effing care.

• ludi

In general, I still share [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61820#p875459<]UG's opinion[/url<]. I can see where it might be useful for someone in Scott's position, but I avoid it.

• Kevlar

horse_ebooks ‘NUFF SAID

• Srsly_Bro

I only follow SSK.

• Sam125

I do occasionally read tweets to find where food trucks are going to be located. Other than that, I never use Twitter.

• BIF

I don’t tweet. I don’t facebook.

One wrong word and your story is there for all to see. Worse than one’s pants falling down in public. Which would probably also get tweeted by some damned fool. With pics. It’s bad enough already, and the world doesn’t need me making it worse.

• ronch

Yeah. It’s better here at TR where we’re all hiding behind a username, isn’t it? ๐Ÿ™‚ /sarcasm

• travbrad

It’s extremely unlikely for a future employer (for example) to find a post by “BIF” on TR and link it to a real person. It’s a lot more likely for an employer to check Facebook/Twitter accounts of potential employees and be able to link them to a person.

So yes, hiding behind a username and not posting pictures of yourself after having 10 shots of tequila is better in a lot of ways. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can also use more than 140 characters here which is nice if you want to actually have a real discussion about something.

• ronch

Except some folks abuse this anonymity and say whatever they want to. There are both pros and cone to being exposed. With Facebook, for example, you have no choice but to be at least half decent else people who actually know you will see what you’ve been posting.

• BIF

Except when somebody gets it in their head to crap all over your page or follow you around like some internet stalker type. The history pages never go away, even if you are innocent. Nothing good can come of this.

Thanks, but I’ll pass.

• albundy

last time i used twitter for fandango codes to get free movie tickets. otherwise life preoccupies anything tweets and fb have to offer.

I like funny stuff. If you like funny stuff check out:

@HonestToddler
    @Badbanana
    @TNG_S8 (parody plot synopses of a purported ST:TNG season 8)
    @bluthquotes (amusing lines from Arrested Development)
    @chuckwoolery (actually he’s serious, but knowing that he’s hysterical – didn’t realize people still thought like that)
    @TextsFrmBennett
    @TFLN (texts from last night)
    @ConanOBrien
    @alyankovic
    @AnaheimAlbert

Great recording/home studio advice from
    @joegilder
    @recordingrev
    @RyanCanestro
    @PuremixOnline
    @CreateMusicPro
    @prodAdvice

I follow some folks from here, like Scott, Cyril, Jordan, Forge, SSK, pcgeek, alphacheez, and codedivine. There are some folks I know and others I don’t. I’m really not worth following, myself.

• codedivine

I mainly follow developers. Some recommendations:

1. Johan Andersson of Frostbite engine (BF3 fame) @repi
    2. John Carmack @id_aa_carmack
    3. Aras Pranckeviฤius of Unity @aras_p
    4. Jan Gray @jangray is an experienced developer and often tweets about very interesting articles about FPGAs or semi industry in general.
    5. David Kanter @TheKanter of Real World Tech @rwt is worth following. Many of you probably already know him since TR often posts references to his articles and he was also on one of the TR podcasts.
    6. Developer relations accounts of various companies like Qualcomm @qualcomm_dev have been helpful in getting info, they often respond to small requests.
    7. Also, instead of following a lot of accounts, you can search for specific terms (for example, I search for “OpenCL”) and get latest info about that topic which I would have missed otherwise since developer related news is often hard to find.

Twitter is an actually useful tool if used correctly. I don’t use it for general “social” things, and try to avoid following say politicians or film celebrities, but good way to get into contact with interesting people all over the world.

• shaq_mobile

The fake madden ones are friggin hilarious.

• glynor

Your exchange with Anand today was hysterical.

I tend to appreciate people who:
    1. Say intelligent things.
    2. Actually use it to engage the audience, rather than just using it as a one-way channel.

If you tweet John Siracusa, for example, you have a decent chance that he’ll respond, if you say something useful or interesting. Others, not so much.

I try to target people who have lower follower counts.

• Bensam123

I don’t think twitter is worth using or following. It’s like Facebook for those with add.

• Sam125

Yeah, but the ADD crowd is apparently growing! lolsad

• MadManOriginal

Yeah they sure…WAIT WHAT’S THAT?!?

• James296

When I was still in my teens, had a doc tell my mother I had ADHD and they started pumping me full of drugs (as high as 330 mg, 3×110 mg pills). after a several months I took a special test that proved I didn’t have ADHD….I was just unmotivated xD

• Mourmain

It works! You were cured!!

• ronch

330mg and you’re already full of drugs? What are you, a mouse?

• l33t-g4m3r

Agreed. I don’t see the appeal of these invasive social networking sites that don’t respect your privacy, and are also good gateways to malware, spyware, phishing, theft, and generally annoying people. Diaspora maybe, but not facebook, myspace, or twitter. If I want news, I read a newspaper. If I want to talk to somebody, I use a phone, or face to face. Social networking is garbage, the Jerry Springer of the internet. It’s like 4chan with a permanent memory that’s easily traced directly back to you, and posting stupid things can irreparably damage your reputation.

Zuckerberg doesn’t think too highly of his website’s users either:
      [url<]http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2010/05/report-zuckerberg-called-facebook-users-who-trust-him-dumb/24459/[/url<] I suppose there are aspects that aren't all bad, such as using an account for professional or family reasons. I just don't think there's any point to sucking the general public into such a system, other than the government abusing it for precrime, or turning some people's lives into a 24/7 reality show. The negatives just keep me from bothering with the positives I guess.

• Meadows

Ah, your paranoid agenda again. I’m sure people still take you seriously.

Also, Zuckerberg’s quote was from [b<]years ago[/b<]. People submitted information to him [i<]without any privacy statements or provisions, or ever questioning what could happen[/i<] with that information later on. I'm not protecting Zuckerberg here, but calling those people irresponsible (or in his parlance, "dumb fucks ") was, and is, right on the money.

• l33t-g4m3r

More serious than you when the [url=http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-woman-lost-her-job-over-a-facebook-post-and-she-deserved-it/<]facts[/url<] [url=https://rt.com/usa/news/facebook-marine-interview-raub-866/<]are[/url<] at my side, and all you have is insults. Any standard google search will pull up multiple examples of people being arrested for facebook posts, but that's just work for people living in reality. You don't need inconvenient things like facts to throw your accusations around, just throw out buzzwords like paranoia and that automatically makes you right. I do agree with your analysis of zuckerberg's comments though, since he's right. Anybody who posts stupid things on facebook and doesn't expect consequences is an idiot.

• Meadows

You’re not even consistent. For example, the links you gave with your first sentence here have no connection to the response you yourself made to Bensam123 earlier, and have even less connection to the original topic started by TR.

I suggest psychiatric help.

• l33t-g4m3r

Right, you’re the expert, and when you speak [i<]Ex Cathedra[/i<] your opinion magically overrides logic and facts. Better watch my words then, wouldn't want to be declared a heretic for claiming the Earth is ROUND. My "agenda" here is what exactly? Making you think for yourself and act responsibly? Oh, the horror! The links are a response to your "paranoid" comment. Facebook [i<]is[/i<] monitored with keyword software, and posting stupid things can get you in trouble other ways. It generally isn't worth using because of that, outside of certain professional or family reasons. Unless you want your employer knowing about your poor taste in raunchy jokes and drunk pics. Your insults are baseless and unwarranted, really. Not that I care what you think, aside from the sheer entertainment value. +1 Enjoy.

• Bensam123

I don’t have anything against social networking such as Facebook… I just think Twitter is pointless. You can make ‘tweets’ on your FB page and just set them to public or simply make a public profile (there is a special public only mode thing, I forgot what it’s called though).

• travbrad

[quote<]I don't have anything against social networking such as Facebook... I just think Twitter is pointless.[/quote<] You say you don't have anything against Twitter, but have you ever considered that maybe I want to have my thoughts restricted to 140 charac

• esterhasz

It’s quite interesting as a tool for professional use. This may not be true for all domains, but in the field I work in, there are a number of highly specialized accounts groomed by both institutions and individuals.

While I certainly despise the social chatter aspect of it, just being subscribed to these accounts has provided me with a number of extremely useful references. I have to grudgingly admit that that’s real a plus.

• Goofus Maximus

I agree. My philosophy is “Neither a tweeter nor a tracker be.” I may one day be dragged, kicking and screaming into the morass of Facebook, but I SWEAR I shall never become a twit! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Sargent Duck

Never tweeted and can proudly say I don’t follow tweets. I’ve read some in passing (there was a conference I attended that had live tweets right beside the main viewing screen) and occasionaly I’ll scroll over Scott’s tweets, but I think it’s less than 10 times…

Whole thing seems silly to me. I enjoy reading blog posts and love reading the blogs of TR staff, but tweets? Nope.

• MadManOriginal

No one.

• alphacheez

I mainly follow nerdy people or people who do nerdy stuff.

If you want more info about phones and the mobile side of tech I like @nerdtalker, Brian Klug from Anandtech. Also, you should follow @anandshimpi, who started AnandTech, if only so you could have seen the back-and-forth he and @scottwasson had about the intel press event earlier today and any such future encounters. He also does some great reviews that are the closest thing to what you find here at TR.

If you want to hear someone complaining about Microsoft and development, @DrPizza, Peter Bright of arstechnica is good and he’s often funny too.

For info about law and patent stuff I like @reckless, Nilay Patel of The Verge; he covers things in a very even-handed manner, from the perspective of someone who is now a tech journalist, but went to law school.

If you have or would like a drinking problem @alispagnola, Ali Spagnola is fun; she created a Power Hour drinking game of 60 one minute songs she wrote and performs herself. She wrote the “Robots for Everyone” song that appeared on Galaxy Nexus smartphones and it a muscisian, artist and computer programmer.

If you like nerdy stuff @wilw, Wil Wheaton is good; among other nerdy things he has a show called “Tabletop” on Felicia Day’s @feliciaday ‘Geek and Sundry’ Youtube channel all about tabletop and board games. He plays with a bunch of other nerds of various levels of fame through a bunch of interesting games. He’s also a funny, interesting guy in general.

For Mac/Apple news and urban gardening updates (not so much in the Winter) @ejacqui, Jacqui Cheng of arstechnica is good.

Science journalism coverage is good from @drgitlin Jonathan Gitlin of ars and @j_timmer John Timmer also both of ars.

I could go on with more, but I think I’ll stop myself now.

• glynor

I agree about @wilw and @drpizza, for sure.

• brute

ive yet to track my first tweet

• brute

i think i made a tweeter years ago for some contest thing but never ever uesd it. i see the whole thing as kinda dumb. sort of a mass text message that few people will notice and even fewer will pay attention to

• 5150

Nor have I. I don’t think I’m missing out on much though.

• ratte