New Crysis 3 vid shows eight minutes of single-player

Yes, there’s another Crysis game on the way. Crytek already teased the eye candy and new multiplayer modes earlier this year. Now, the studio has posted a fresh trailer that shows an eight-minute glimpse of the single-player campaign. If you’re at work or around impressionable youngsters, be warned: the trailer is laden with English-accented profanity.

Here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of what goes down, if you’re too lazy to sit through all eight minutes of it:

The unnatural power of the Nanodome has transformed the train yards of New York City into a grassland teeming with wild vegetation & opposing CELL artillery. Prophet and Psycho must venture through the heavily guarded Field to meet up with the rebel insurgency. Prophet’s use of the Nanosuit and alien weapons will be critical to to get through the sandbox of the Fields level.

Crytek has always done lush, natural environments very well, but Crysis 3‘s post-apocalyptic twist gives it a much more distinctive vibe, I think. I’m getting flashbacks of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 2, and they’re definitely not unwelcome. The gameplay looks fun, too. It’s nice seeing a shooter where you have some control of the environment instead of being stuck on a predefined path between cut scenes.

Crysis 3 is due out next spring on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

• NIKOLAS

If it is 8 minutes of game play, why does the video only run for 6 min 20 secs?

• provoko

reality distortion

• RickyTick

Just slightly off topic, but why do so many games have to be so inundated with vulgar language. Is this what sells?

Cleaning up the language wouldn’t make them less fun. Would it?

• Rakhmaninov3

If you were in that situation, would you use squeaky-clean language? Just a thought 🙂

• RickyTick

Valid point. I served in the Marine Corps, so I’ve seen and heard it all. Maybe I’m a little out of touch, but I just get tired of hearing one f-bomb after another, and that goes for real life too.

• Geistbar

I think there’s a balance though. Well used swears sound organic and natural; either the speaker is really and truly angry/stressed/similar, or they have tourettes, or…

In here and in many other AAA entertainment products (not just games), the swears instead come across as being carefully analyzed by a focus group to get across the appropriate amounts of “gritty”, “visceral”, and interest for less mature customers.

You could have someone saying four letter words every 3 seconds come fit in better than someone using one every 5 minutes. The quantity wasn’t bad in the video, but the feel was bad.

• jessterman21

To me, it’s a sign of immaturity and insecurity. Profanity can be very appropriate if there is need for special emphasis, but there is absolutely no reason for the superfluous and often somewhat embarrassing f-bombs I have to put up with in Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. I think the level of expletives in the original Crysis was appropriate.

Lol, just another reason the original was superior…

• OhYeah

Here’s the problem. I buy games from different studios for different reasons. I like Valve because of their originality and the way their games always turn out to have tremendous re-play value when it comes to multiplayer. Half-Life games are legendary, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 have thriving online communities and competitive scenes. Left 4 Dead series games offered something truly unique, in essence binding two separate games into one. Most of the games have been ported to consoles and the graphics can be described as “adequate”, at best. But that doesn’t really bother anyone. Valve’s games arent about drop-dead gorgeous scenery.

But Crytek’s games are. Or the term “were” is maybe perhaps a little more accurate. The original Far Cry gave us something we had never experienced before. A real open-world game on a tropical island with jaw-dropping environments. And then came Crysis. It is still to date the most beautiful game and I doubt any game will claim that throne unless it is specifically developed for that purpose, and on PC only.

So this is my reason for disliking Crysis 2 and me not even bothering with Crysis 3. They have gone down the “generic military shooter with vague sci-fi connotations” route, and franky, it has been done to death. Terrible storytelling, unappealing characters, mediocre graphics, boring gameplay.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Meadows

Okay, I watched the video.

4:28.

Fixed reflections on water.
    Well done Crytek, now I know what game not to buy.

I know it’s in alpha testing, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until they finish the graphics features. (I might be too optimistic however, considering they’re apparently [i<]testing the game with console controllers[/i<].)

• Meadows

I also hope those are placeholder models, because I see neither Prophet nor Psycho.

• Ryu Connor

The player is Prophet.

Well, sort of any way. It’d be spoilers to explain.

• Meadows

Okay, but where’s Psycho then?

• Ryu Connor

Pretty sure Psycho is the Brit you’re scouting with at the begining of the video. The one dropping the f-bombs with the queens english.

Doesn’t look like he has his nano-suit anymore.

• jessterman21

Hahaha I saw the same thing. FREAKING CUBE-MAP REFLECTIONS. I know they’re easy, but Crysis was not meant to be easy!

I also noticed an incredible addition just a few seconds after the horrible reflections – at 4:36, light reflected off the rippling water being thrown onto nearby surfaces. Amazing.

What a dichotomy within 10 seconds.

• kamikaziechameleon

I noticed both first time through and couldn’t process how they were present in the same game engine let alone game scene.

• sweatshopking

how does it show 8 minutes of single player, when the video is only 6 and half minutes long?

• albundy

the camera makes it shrink 2 pounds, i mean minutes.

• jessterman21

FYI, lens flares and crosshairs are toggleable – or at least they were in the alpha.

This video made me so happy. I hope the highest difficulty forces sprinting to drain energy, armor mode to only withstand 3-5 shots (normal mode 2-3 shots), and enemies to be more intelligent. This video looks like it was played on Easy difficulty.

Love the vegetation physics 🙂

I hope the textures are well done, and when tessellation is implemented, the models look good – there were a lot of sloppy mistakes in the DX11 patch for C2. Thankfully, Maldo fixed almost everything in [url=http://maldotex.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/maldohd-40-beta.html<]his mod[/url<].

• Bensam123

It definitely looks pretty, but the gameplay looks to be an exact carbon copy of Modern Warfare. Pretty much all the scene cuts happen right before he’s going to die. It reminds me a lot of Crysis 2. You’re frantically fighting against ridiculously shitty AI that always knows where you are and makes sure you’re constantly under fire. They don’t take cover unless you shoot directly at them, they don’t attempt to run away, they don’t reload, they don’t run out of ammo, they instamelee you when you get in range. It generally makes for a very unpleasent experience.

I still remember watching some bots do a dance in the middle of a open field because they thought there was cover in front of them when there wasn’t. They just hid behind cover that didn’t exist.

Will we actually get 8 minutes of gameplay without crappy cutscene interruptions?

I noticed plenty of cuts in that video, and almost every game is headed [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA<]this way[/url<], sadly.

• odizzido

I’ve never seen doom look so terrible. At least doom done today has a count down before you die if you go somewhere you “aren’t allowed”. When I tried CoD it just killed me instantly with no warning. So stupid.

• sirsoffrito

Graphics look good, but we’re expecting that from a Crytek game anyways. I’m overall impressed with the artwork, and the physics seemed to have improved, with the exception of the soldiers disturbing the water around 2:25. Overall, I might be interested in playing this except 1) the story is something I really respond to as a player, and it looks terrible and 2) actually playing this game looks obnoxious. Every time that character got hit, it jostled the view and threw everything out of focus.

This is the future of gaming folks!

I spent six bucks on the Humble Bundle for my Android tablet recently, and I will probably extract many more hours of enjoyment from those simple games than I would out of this (what I’m sure will cost) $60 game [DLC NOT INCLUDED.] I cannot honestly believe I’m saying this. Maybe I’m just getting older.

• OhYeah

Crysis 3 is due out next spring on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

Oh okay, not interested then. My jaw still drops when I occasionally play the original Crysis. Nothing of the sort happens with Crysis 2, or any other modern shooter to be frank. It’s very simple: you can’t expect Xbox or Playstation to keep up with the performance of the PC and as long as studios keep developing for those platforms, no game ever will beat Crysis 1 in terms of sheer beauty.

• alwayssts

While I totally agree with this statement, I feel that they do a better job than many at using the additional pc resources to scale from the baseline experience, which is really all you can ask for until the next-gen crops up. Let’s be frank…we don’t have that long to wait in that regard.

While it’s fine to crap on Crytek for things like the ‘press start’ screen, It can’t be easy develop for the vast swatch from 720p/30 on console hardware to 1080p/30 for probably the biggest pc market, to 1080p60 at around the current gamer sweet spot, to 2560×1600/30 for high-end chips…or even 2560×1600/60 if you count the upcoming high-end. That’s asking a lot.

Considering that when you look at Crytek games they have at least pushed each resolution/playable setting per segment with features (granted again, some of them are useless or ridiculous) that may more-or-less be baseline for the next-gen of consoles at somewhere around 1080p/30, when others will do almost nothing other than a port, it deserves some praise. At least they’re making the attempt to bridge the gap in a worthwhile and realistic fashion.

• rrr

That doesn’t look much better than Crysis 1 or 2. If it’s gonna have obscene requirements, this will be a failure.

• Silus

If Crysis 1 has obscene requirements then complain that it doesn’t run on most machines acceptably
      If Crysis 2 runs on most machines acceptably then complain that it doesn’t look as good
      If Crysis 3 has obscene requirements then complain…

It never ends…meanwhile Valve games and whoever develops CoD games, use the same shitty engine from decades ago with tweaks and they’re praised and/or have huge sales numbers, while having the same basic gameplay as all the other previous games (Portal being the exception)

• Krogoth

It is more like investing everything into a demanding tech demo is not a good business strategy in the current gaming market.

• rrr

And where did I glorify Valve or CoD guys (IW/Treyarch, IIRC)?

• indeego

Logic parse: This will be a commercial failure because it is exactly like two previous commercial successes.

• rrr

Syntax error.

• Mourmain

You know… I was really looking forward to trying out Battlefield 3 (I know, we’re talking about Crysis 3, but this looks very much the same, only with more fantasy in it).

I haven’t played a shooter since the Half-Life 2 series. The graphics on these new games looks amazing, but once I did sit down in front of BF3 the gameplay left me frustrated and stressed out. The newly free-to-play Battlefield 1942 was way more fun than the frustrating experience with BF3.

• Grigory

Yeah but does it run… oh, never mind.

• alwayssts

…on cards without having to super tessellate non-critical or non-visible objects?

Hope so.

• Squeazle

What? I need my straight sided concrete wall to have ALL the polygons!

• Duck

Plus the tessellwater under every map!

• Krogoth

Nice tech demo.

• cjava2

They have truly surpassed id Software in making a tech demo disguised as a video game.

• tfp

8 Minutes of game play, that’s gotta be almost half the game!

• Meadows

This is my favourite comment.

• DeadOfKnight

Here’s another good one:

[url<]http://youtu.be/_2LX8bEmhDc[/url<]

• esterhasz

[quote<]If you're at work or around impressionable youngsters, be warned: the trailer is laden with English-accented profanity.[/quote<] I'll make sure to turn off the sound when bathing my toddler in the edifying display of gratuitous violence.

• Arclight

He meant for a scenario in whitch you are the onlty one watching the vid. Otherwise don’t watch the video as it’s nsfw (it’s video about a game on youtube, multiple sins not allowed in many offices around the world) and it’s rated for people above the age of your kid, probably.

• Arclight

I still don’t get it. Why do they have to fight against Cell during an alien invasion instead of helping them? Quake 2 and 4 single player made sense, this doesn’t.

• carpo

Would be nice if someone shed some light on this matter…

• Arclight

It doesn’t make any effing sense in Crysis 2 nor will it in Crysis 3. I mean at the begining of Crysis 2, Prophet SUPPORTED by the militrary asks for support (or evac, i can’t remember), he ends up saving Alcatraz, a soldier, and now, right after Alcatraz gains conciousness and gets a pistol and he starts to kill Cell operatives with no explanations given. Well what a WTF extraordinaire moment.

• Ryu Connor

Cell was the enemy because they had orders from Commander Lockhart to kill Prophet. Lockhart wanted you dead due to an axe to grind from Crysis.

The better question is who is controlling Cell in Crysis 3. As the story Pyscho tells in the video is a little surreal.