Time names top 100 video games

When the mainstream press talks video games, they usually get it horribly wrong. That’s why I was expecting to roll my eyes at Time magazine’s list of the top 100 video games of all time. Turns out the list is a pretty good one, starting with The Oregon Trail and ending with Mass Effect 3. The games are sorted by decade, and scrolling through them is like walking down the memory lane of my youth.

There are some head-scratchers, of course. Half-Life 2 is named instead of its predecessor, perhaps because even the folks at Time magazine hated the original’s “Xen” levels. The Unreal Tournament, Battlefield, and Command and Conquer franchises aren’t represented at all, and the list seems to be entirely devoid of titles from the driving genre. Seriously, there’s no mention of Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Need for Speed, or even Mario Kart.

There are some pleasant surprises, like the inclusion of Thief and Braid and Leisure Suit Larry. Some will no doubt find the omission of System Shock and Minecraft to be unconscionable, though. The more I read through the selections, the less satisfied I am with them, even if a number of my own favorites are listed. I suppose that’s the problem with casting a wide net spanning multiple decades, platforms, and genres.

Among games released since 2010, only Mass Effect 3 and Batman: Arkham City made the list. Those are interesting choices, and they got me wondering: which games from the last few years will best stand the test of time?

• jonjonjon

original mario and ocarina of time 2 best game ever. what a bunch of scrubs they dont even have ocarina of time on the list.

• d0g_p00p

No System Shock, Fallout, C&C or Baldur’s Gate? How the hell could you not have those on the top 100?

• Washer

Some very confusing choices on that list. Given the entire TES series only a fool would choose Oblivion. If you’re choosing in the 2000s there’s a lot of far better games… like Morrowind. Then there’s 2010s where you could have picked Skyrim… also far better than Oblivion.

Or for instance Super Mario Bros. Really? Not SMB3 or Super Mario World? Both of which are far better games.

I’d say the same for Quake. Quake 2. It’s no contest.

I find BioShock, Gears of War, and Wii Sports all especially offensive entries.

• TurtlePerson2

To be honest I think that I could have created a list like this without too much effort. They probably just went to a website like Gamerankings or Metacritic and picked a bunch of games off the list so that they’d represent a bunch of eras, then chose the ones they liked.

There’s games on the list that very few people actually played, but are very influential, then there are games that tons of people played, but aren’t really a big influence on the industry. An example of the former would be Flower and an example of the latter would be Paperboy.

If this list had a more well defined and followed criteria for inclusion it would be meaningful, but it doesn’t, so it’s not. For example, they could have ranked the games by how big of an impact they had on the world. A game like Mario would have a very large impact, while a game like Dune II, while popular and great would probably not make the list. Obviously it’s hard to rank games like that, but at least it gives you more than a list of games that someone liked and thought were important.

• WhiteDesertSun

No Heroes of Might and Magic III makes this a sad day.

• dragosmp

It’s obvious they don’t really know what they’re talking about, we could do a better job @TR

• RenatoPassos

Actually, there’s no game of the Might and Magic franchise at all. And that is a mistake.

• Buzzard44

Lode Runner! I had completely forgotten about that game, but I loved it so much! This list has actually held some value for me.

• anotherengineer

Well since this is supposed to be a best game list, let me just say lolz, musta been done by a n00b!

80’s – I would expect to see Dragon Warrior 1 and Final Fantasy 1 – say what you will about Enix and Square, these games propelled them to legend status, and ended up with some awesome composers also, like Uematsu.

I think a real top 100 list should be broken down into top 100 of the decade and then broken down to top 10 RPG, top 10 adventure, etc.

Nice list n00bs, I mean Time, well maybe not total n00bs, I see Chrono Trigger made the cut, as it should, it’s awesomeness as a adventure/RPG single player (not online) game with excellent replay value hasn’t been matched or exceeded to this day, IMO of course.

• jimbo75
    • Price0331

This is why we have game journalism sites, because traditional media just doesn’t get it.

• Geistbar

All the major game journalists are just as bad, if not worse, in my opinion. Their lists usually feel more like a “Top 100 games as determined by the publishers who pay for our ads” than anything else. At least traditional media doesn’t have to worry about EA lowering its ad buy.

I don’t really think this is a [i<]good[/i<] list, but I've seen a lot of far worse ones.

• Price0331

I don’t follow journalists who make lists, or have stars, or scores. That’s kind of what I was getting at. Though I concede that a lot of “game journalists” out there are as equally bad as this list.

My two favorites are Rock Paper Shotgun and the Penny Arcade Report.

• Geistbar

Oh, sorry, I interpreted your comment as indicating that most game-specific sites would create far better lists.

I agree on the scores/ranking/etc — RPS is the only gaming site that I visit with any frequency.

• BoBzeBuilder

No “WHATEVER RANDOM GAME I PLAYED A DECADE AGO THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT BUT I HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT EVEN THO I KNOW IF THEY WANT TO INCLUDE EVERY GAME SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE THEIR LIST IS GONNA BE IN THE THOUSANDS” ???

fail!

• mcnabney

Western fantasy RPGs completely shut out in favor of MMOs (Ultima online, WoW, and Everquest) and hack’n’slash (Oblivion, Diablo2, and Thief).

• danny e.

Kings Quest but no Space Quest?
    No Gabriel Knight.
    No Far Cry

FAIL!

• eitje

click through the links: [quote<]Their company, Sierra, would go on to spawn other classic series such as Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, and several others.[/quote<]

• Krogoth

Total Annihilation is missing from 90s list? Pfft, it is the pinnacle of RTS games. It is spiritual successors (Supreme Commander 1, FA and 2) haven’t caught up to it. Starcraft (came out a year later) is only remembered because of its plot and characters not so much for its game mechanics. It is still “Warcraft in Space”. Total Annihilation introduced a large number of game mechanics to the genre (queuing, waypoints, unit stances, formations, mega-size maps and armies, a true 3D environment where indirect fire weapons functioned like indirect fire weapons, the list goes on). It still puts many of the “modern” RTS games to shame.

Homeworld is omitted for some reason. It is one of the best examples of a full 3D RTS where formations and attacks postures made a huge difference.

No Heroes Might of Magic III either? It is a worthy turn-based strategy and tactics. I’m sad that Balders Gate and Planescape: Torment aren’t there.

It is a shame that Wing Commander got the nod over Tie Fighter and Freespace. Don’t get me wrong, Wing Commander was awesome it is own right. It is remember mostly for its war drama backdrop then for its gameplay. Tie Fighter, Freespace and Independence War took the space sim genre to new levels. Tie Fighter = fixed most of the problems with X-Wing and you played as the antagonist. Freespace and Indepedence War for their game mechanics and story.

• echo_seven

Starcraft had one major innovation that made it better than “warcraft in space”, which was/is the unit balancing. Warcraft II’s sides were almost identical with the exception of some +1/-1 tit-for-tat differences.

• OneArmedScissor

If I had to name the “one major innovation” in SC:

Limitless “use map settings” games. I don’t think there’s been anything quite like that introduced to another genre since.

It was still going strong up until SC2 came out – 12 years! Modified editors and eventually modified AIs get some credit for that, but even that part is unique in being easy to use and accessible on Battle.net.

• OneArmedScissor

Krogoth not impressed on point.

The 90s probably should have been split into two parts – or maybe just be its own top 100 list.

How can you reasonably pick a handful from a decade that went from Doom to Unreal Tournament? The SNES to MMOs? Cartridges measured in KBs to multiple CD sets in GBs? Black and white Gameboys to 3D accelerator cards?

That was an abnormally busy time for video games, being both the pinnacle of 2D games and the rise of the same brands of 3D games still rehashed today.

In contrast, 2000 to 2010+ is Halo to…Halo!

• l33t-g4m3r

I agree, but the games listed aren’t bad either, so it’s more of an incomplete list than a “full” list. A full list would also warrant a multi-page article with short descriptions explaining why each game is on the list.

• Bensam123

Yeah, I’ve been generally unimpressed with big magazines or known organizational bodies trying to step into the realm of video games and do something like this, usually because they never played a video game or know anything about them. It leads to some rather weird and uninformed lists…

Sort of like video game news and review sites that are written by people who have only played console games or like LoL and MW2. Uninformed and usually pretty blatantly biased opinions.

• crystall

And after re-reading it… Monkey Island is not on the list. I hadn’t realized it the first time around, probably because it was far too unlikely for it *not* to be there.

• tanker27

What no [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants:_Citizen_Kabuto<]Giants: Citzen Kabuto[/url<]!!!! I'm butt hurt.

• tanker27

Obviously the person that thumbs downed me doesnt get the satire.

• superjawes

Or you’re the 12th person to make this joke…

• nanoflower

Hey, I liked that game. It wasn’t a great game but I had fun playing it.

• Star Brood

This is missing warcraft or warcraft 2. Warcraft 3 inspired more than world of warcraft, especially its nods such as DotA.

I was surprised starcraft made it even though they excluded its predecessors.

Pretty much a failure of a list, especially after reading the comments in here.

The Sims is another poor omission. So is sonic the hedgehog.

I think we should consider the whole list irrelevant.

• Srsly_Bro

Any list without Barbie Super Model isn’t a real list.

• DancinJack

zomg they didn’t include *insert title here*!!!!11! WORST LIST EVAR

ugh.

• rrr

Whining about whiners – new level of ironic failure.

• yogibbear

There’s tonnes missing… that IMHO is criminal…

But this is a list of top #100 that spans a long period of time, so there’s always going to be things left out. I much prefer lists that are either Top 100 from a certain decade, or Top 100 to a specific platform… as you always miss a game or three or 100 if you don’t give yourself certain limitations…

Like… Arcanum, The Witcher, BG2, SS2, Half-life etc. not being there is criminal in my mind… but if they’d done a Top 100 PC games from the 1998-Present they’d all be in there.

• Darkmage

[quote<]and the list seems to be entirely devoid of titles from the driving genre[/quote<] Not entirely true. They mention [i<]OutRun[/i<]. [i<]Hunt the Wumpus[/i<] is confusing to me. I don't recall it having much of an influence. Likewise [i<]Rez[/i<] and [i<]Paperboy[/i<]. And while I think [i<]Rock Band[/i<] is superior to [i<]Guitar Hero[/i<], the latter has had many more sequels and defined the rhythm music genre. Having both games on this list is a mistake. [i<]Half-Life 2[/i<] is listed, but the reasons why it is listed are silly. Yeah, it's better than the original. So was [i<]Assassin's Creed 2[/i<] and I don't see that listed anywhere. HL2 was innovative in that it had an amazing physics engine that allowed for tremendous flexibility in flinging crap at your enemies. That was a milestone, and the great story and dialog was a bonus. Hell, the original [i<]Half Life[/i<] should be on here as it was the first game in my memory that had an opening cinematic that was rendered in the game engine instead of a pre-rendered cutscene. I note that the article is not called "All-Time [i<]Greatest[/i<] 100 Video Games".

• nanoflower

I remember Jurassic Park for the physics engine. The game had a lot of faults (floating trees) but the physics engine was good for all the things they attempted back when the hardware just wasn’t that great for doing that sort of thing.

• Darkmage

Likewise, System Shock had a pretty decent physics engine. You could bounce grenades off walls, around corners, etc. Jumping was also pretty realistic and recoil was handled quite well.

However… in System Shock, there wasn’t anything to throw other than grenades. And I’ve got to give props to Valve: They made the physics engine part of the puzzle to get from point A to point B.

I never did play Jurassic Park. What did they do with the physics?

• albundy

wow, all gone south from 2010 onward?

• RenatoPassos

That is what happens when the article “researchers” forget about Dark Souls and The Witcher 2, just to name a few…

• brute

no snake???

wow im butthurting so much mad !!!!!!!!!

• lex-ington

No Bards Tale I & II ????

• Sahrin

Mass Effect 3 should’ve been excluded on the grounds of Spacely Joel Osmont alone.

• Yeats

No Archon?

…Racing Destruction Set?

…The 7th Guest?

meh

• Game_boy

You may personally have liked those games, but if they sold poorly and weren’t influential on future games they shouldn’t be in a top 100 list.

• nanoflower

Actually, I think you could include one of those construction set games from EA as those were probably the first time where the player was completely in charge of what sort of game they would experience. They took the pieces provided and built up their own game from those pieces. Sort of an early professional version of a mod kit.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] That's why I was expecting to roll my eyes at Time magazine's list of the top 100 video games of all time. Turns out the list is a pretty good one [/quote<] and [quote<] The more I read through the selections, the less satisfied I am with them [/quote<] is it just me, or are these statements contradictory? Solid list! but i think it sucks!

• Plazmodeus

No Homeworld?

• crystall

It’s ridiculous they left it out especially considering that they have Final Fantasy Tactics on the list, probably the only strategy game that you can finish purely by grinding away during random encounters.

• Omniman

I feel Resident Evil 2 should have replaced RE1. After playing the second one you don’t really want to play the first one ever again. The directors cut was only great for the terrible voice acting!

Forget the list itself, the poll results on some of these are astounding.

52% of respondents say that Zork should not be on the list.
    65% of respondents say that Adventure should not be on the list.
    62% of respondents say the same about Tempest.
    The fact that ANYBODY voted against Pac Man or Super Mario Brothers.

Like them or not, they’re part of history.

Some of the other choices…eeh…Marathon has no place on this list. Seriously.

• lilbuddhaman

I’d say “stupid 90’s kids”, but we’re to the point where I can safely say “stupid 2000’s kids” and be correct too.

• nanoflower

I never played Marathon but I remember it being lauded at the time. Also it helped lead to Halo which has certainly played a large part in helping the Xbox get into the public eye.

• Geistbar

They appear to be willing to double up on some fronts (Metroid/Metroid Prime, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Super Mario/Mario 64), and didn’t choose to double up to include Ocarina of Time? I know most of my favorite games will lack some degree of mainstream appeal or such to get included on “best games ever” list, but I don’t think I’ve seen any (recent) game that has been as universally treated as one of the best games ever.

I’m not much of a fan of TES games, but any list that chooses Oblivion to represent the series in a list of the top 100 games of all time is a pretty awful list. I don’t think there’s a single thing in it that Morrowind or Skyrim don’t do better. The list seems fairly weak on RPGs in general — no BG2, or Fallout 2, or Planescape Torment, or trending more recently, The Witcher (one or two).

I’m also going to agree with lilbuddhaman: ME3 should never be included in a list like this.

• RenatoPassos

Agree about everything – the list doesn’t seem seriously researched enough and it’s particularly weak when it comes to RPGs.

And no Dragon Age: Origins? Really? That thing alone was responsible for hooking me up to RPGs. Then they go on to miss Baldur’s Gate, Fallout, Witcher, Morrowind, etc, etc and etc!

They are also severely lacking in racing games and the fighting ones – no Tekken, Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur is a pretty glaring omission.

• Geistbar

I think I can understand DA:O being excluded, even as someone that enjoyed it: it didn’t add anything new to the genre. It was just a continuation on the path of previous great games. In the end, I don’t know that there’s anything that I liked in it that I didn’t think BG2 did better. Sort of a similar idea to why you wouldn’t include every 3D Zelda game on such a list — Ocarina covers the gamut already — or why people think it should have been System Shock 2 instead of Bioshock.

Speaking of fighting games, I’d include one of the Smash Bros. games in there — they’re different enough, stylistically, from the other big names in the fighting genre.

• RenatoPassos

About DA:O – I see your point and it makes sense.

Smash Bros – agreed; it’s kind of funny I forgot it…

• SecretMaster

How the heck did they leave out Baldurs Gate? It is basically the pinnacle of RPG gaming.

• crystall

Torment and Fallout were also excellent candidates, both being both innovative and quite successful, having none of the three is… surprising to say the least. Also, why putting Oblivion instead of Daggerfall or Morrowind? The former was truly impressive in its time and kind of defined the genre of free-roaming RPGs (greatly improving Arena which IMHO had too many rough edges) and the latter had an astounding depth, to the point that a lot of material that was made for it has been recycled in Oblivion and Skyrim.

• SecretMaster

I agree with you on Daggerfall/Morrowind over Oblivion. But at least the series got acknowledged. To completely leave Baldurs Gate off the list is silly, as again it is arguably one of the greatest RPG series ever made.

• LordEkim

This list is reflection of writer preferences, so there is no mention of really good classics :
    Interstate
    Lotus (from Sega)
    Golden Axe (also Sega)
    Another World
    Dune 2 (first RTS precursor to C&C serial) — edit : it’s on the list
    Full throttle
    Jedi Knight (first sword fighting worth of mention)

I found the Golden Axe games to be barely-playable, even in the 90s. If you want side-scrolling beat-em-ups, Sega had way better games. Streets of Rage, for example. Not to mention Capcom’s side-scrollers like Final Fight and Knights of the Round, and Konami’s awesome TMNT games.

• Ryu Connor

[quote=”Geoff”<]There are some pleasant surprises, like the inclusion of Thief and Braid and Leisure Suit Larry. Some will no doubt find the omission of System Shock and Minecraft to be unconscionable, though.[/quote<] Made worse by the fact they put [i<]Bioshock[/i<] in the list. [i<]Bioshock[/i<] was a poorly done rip of [i<]System Shock 2[/i<]. [url<]http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/590/shockrot.png[/url<]

• MadManOriginal

<X> game that I like isn’t included! WORST LIST EVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

• BestJinjo

There are some obvious problems though.

Oblivion over Morrowind or Skyrim?
      Solitaire and Minecraft?
      No Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time?
      Mass Effect 3 as the best in the series?
      No Uncharted games?
      Not a single racing game?
      No Super Mario Galaxy games?
      No Half Life 1?

They should have named it Time’s Most Iconic Games, not Top games. They also could have ranked franchises instead and then in the notes named what they thought was the best game in that series.

• superjawes

Even then, Ocarina of Time is certainly more “Iconic” than Metroid and Metroid Prime (both are good, but Ocarina certainly made a bigger splash).

• MadManOriginal

Teehee. I like how my post, which was written to be intentionally satirical, matches many later posts which are meant to be serious. Good times!

• sweatshopking

YOUR POST MADE ME HOT

• TurtlePerson2

The biggest omission that no one is talking about is Roller Coaster Tycoon. Everyone and his brother has played Roller Coaster Tycoon. I still play the original RCT on occasion.

• LostCat

I’m pretty sure me and my brother have not in fact played Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• lilbuddhaman

Well then I guess you know what you need to do this holiday season. Give the gift of RCT (and not the trash-smartphone version).

• superjawes

I would say depends on the criteria for “top games,” but I agree with this one. If you didn’t play RCT, you definitely saw it and know that it led to several “Tycoon” franchises, and multiple copycats.

• chasscF1

I loved that Myth TFL was on there. As a RTS lover that game and Myth II were a couple of my all time favorites. The multiplayer was awesome too. Got voted near the bottom, so looks like most readers don’t agree. Some of Bungie’s finest work. Hasn’t really been a game like it since.

• notfred

No “Elite” in the 80’s list?

• crystall

And no Frontier for good measure.

• RenatoPassos

And no River Raid. Go figure…

• RickyTick

Lists like this always seem to be missing a lot.

Just a quick glance, I don’t see:
    Medal of Honor
    Wolfenstein 3D, (or RTCW)
    Call of Duty UO
    Crysis
    and on..and on

Definitely the list is heavily based on the author’s preferences and missing the obvious. Perhaps a more useful list would be one based on sales numbers but weighed by their percentage of the total video games market size at the time.

I suspect some of the games you listed aren’t on the list because they either weren’t financially that successful or didn’t add anything utterly new that made you go “wow”

Wolf3D was surprising but I suspect it was from too geeky an era, where few people rich enough to own PC’s were ineterested in using them as a games console. By the time Doom and Doom II lande, a PC capable of running them was down to only $1800 or so and so they got a much larger audience.

Medal of Honour was utterly forgettable apart from the Normandy landing level, and even then, part of it was because it was riding on the back of the glorified scene from Saving Private Ryan.

It doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy playing those games, but they’re hardly “greatest games ever made” material.

• lilbuddhaman

Sales numbers alone (even weighted by their market size at release) would provide a horrible horrible list of games.

I guess it would still be a list almost entirely comprised of The Sims (+expansions) and the never-dying Crawl of Duty linear cutscene bonanzas.

• Game_boy

In terms of impact on gaming itself:

Monkey Island
      Pokemon
      Mario Kart
      Minecraft
      Zelda Ocarina
      Wii Fit

Remove from list as not important enough:

Mass Effect 3 -> Mass Effect
      Arkham City -> Arkham Asylum
      Okami (didn’t sell enough + basically Zelda)
      Flower (artsy puzzle platformers have been around a lot longer)
      Gears of War
      FF Tactics -> Some earlier strategy game e.g. Nobunaga’s Ambition.

Yeah, Mario Kart is an odd exclusion.

• faramir

The list is downright silly – Paperboy is on the list but Pirates! is not ? Tomb Raider is in but TIE Ifghter is not ? Plenty of other great games also missing from that list, like Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon (which is now available for free and improved in many aspects, by the way), Colonization, Baldur’s Gate 2, the multitude of Sierra’s <something> Quest series, Dynamix’ flight simulators (Red Baron, Aces of Pacific, Aces Over Europe), Medieval: Total War and its successors, Panzer General and its successors, X-COM (UFO Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep), Jagged Alliance, Maniac Mansion 2 (Day of the Tentacle) etc.

• Arclight

For me it was Street Fighter……back when i played it in the arcade.

• sweatshopking

i LOVE SF

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<] Turns out the list is a [i<]pretty terrible[/i<] too, starting with The Oregon Trail and ending with [u<]Mass Effect 3[/u<] [/quote<] Fixed. yes, it's because of the ending. There are a dozen other issues with the list as well that I won't mention.

• superjawes

Like Solitare on the list? Solitare? Really?

I don’t see any mention of criteria, poiting out the main issue when “the mainstream press” deals with things like this. Input? Influence? It’s basically just, “eat what we spoonfeed you and like it.”

• Deanjo

I would be disappointed if Solitaire wasn’t included. It has by far the largest market penetration of all the games listed and eons of human hours have been chewed up by it.

• superjawes

But like I said, what’s the criteria? Everything you said is true of Solitare, but does that really give it more influence than a game like Minecraft, which has upset the balance of power in the gaming industry?

And the explanations for each game leave a lot to be desired. There’s a description of the game, but nothing there to figure out why a game like Solitare is mentioned in the same breath as Legend of Zelda.

• Deanjo

[quote<]And even then, what of other games with similar market penetration and great influence like Bejeweled?[/quote<] Bejeweled doesn't even have 1/100th (dare I say 1/1000th) of the market penetration of Solitaire. Solitaire has been available on virtually every PC since Windows has become the default OS installed.

• superjawes

And unlike Solitaire, it’s a big part of the casual gaming market, not just included on Windows machines.

• Jason181

Bejeweled could (as in has the possibility to) have the market share given your facts, but I think the actual market share easily belongs to Solitaire. I’d be left scratching my head if either it or minesweeper wasn’t on the list (one of the two would be enough imho).

• superjawes

Let me be clear that I have nothing against Solitaire being on a list. The theme I’m trying to get across is “why is a game on the list?” Yes, Soliaire and Minesweeper are on almost every machine, but people don’t buy computers/Windows OS for those games. A game like Bejeweled is still VERY accesible, but it also has the potential to generate revenue. A game like Mass Effect requires Windows AND solid hardware, and you have to buy the game (directly generating revenue).

All of the games on the list might have merits, but I would likely put them at the top of several different lists for several different reasons. Putting such variety on the same list without explanation just leaves readers (see this entire comment thread) scratching their heads.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Bejeweled has several free versions, and I think you only need a plugin to play, so yes, it does have as much if not more penetration because you could get it on Mac and Linux systems as well as Windows ones.[/quote<] Which still does not even come close to being installed on virtually every PC system since 1990.

• lilbuddhaman

Solitaire is merely a digital version of a card game, played in exactly the same way. To me, in that regard, it does not qualify for the list. A game like Pong sits on the border of “same as the real version” and “a new entity”.