Deal of the week: Black Friday 2012 edition

Black Friday is here, and the deals are plentiful. If you’re sitting at home recovering from last night’s meal instead of mercilessly stampeding brick-and-mortar stores right now, good news: there are loads of online bargains on PC hardware and games ripe for the picking. In fact, there are so many we’ve had to lump ’em all in a big bulleted list. Here we go:

• Corsair’s excellent Obsidian Series 650D enclosure (see our review here) – $129.99 after a $25 mail-in rebate.
  • Corsair Hydro Series H60 liquid cooler – $39.99 after a $20-off coupon code (BLKFRIDAY63) and a $15 mail-in rebate.
  • Windows 8 Pro Upgrade DVD – $54.99 (down from the usual $69.99 for a physical copy).
  • Corsair’s TX650 650W 80 Plus Bronze power supply – $49.99 after a $25 mail-in rebate.
  • Antec’s Three Hundred enclosure – $29.99 after a $15 mail-in rebate.
  • Sony’s Vaio T13 13-inch ultrabook with Windows 8 and hybrid storage – $599.99.
  • Asus’ BW-12B1ST Blu-ray burner – $39.99 after a $35 mail-in rebate.
  • Mach Speed’s Trio-Stealth Pro Metal-7CM – $79.99 after a $20-off coupon code (BLKFRIDAY08), which is inexplicably cheap for a 7″ Android 4.0 tablet. I doubt this thing is on par with the Nexus 7, but then again, it also costs less than half as much.

As far as I can tell, shipping is free on all of these, and most of coupon codes are good until November 25. Stocks might not hold that long, though, so don’t wait too much.

There’s a wealth of PC games on sale, too. Here’s an alphabetized collection of the finest deals we could find at Amazon, Newegg, and Steam:

• Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City$9.99 for the two at Amazon.
  • Battlefield 3$29.99 at Amazon.
  • BioShock and BioShock 2$4.99 for the two at Amazon.
  • Borderlands 2$29.99 at Amazon.
  • Dishonored$29.99 at Newegg (DVD).
  • Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3$29.99 for the trilogy at Amazon.
  • Max Payne 3$14.99 on Steam.
  • Portal 2$4.99 on Steam.
  • Sleeping Dogs$24.99 on Steam.
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim$29.99 at Newegg (DVD).
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown$33.49 at Amazon.

The Amazon and Steam deals are all downloadable copies, while the Newegg ones are physical DVDs. I’m not all that partial to physical game media these days, but then again, Newegg does have surprisingly low prices on Dishonored (which I loved) and Skyrim. For reference, those games cost $44.99 and $40.19, respectively, on Steam.

• willmore

Fry’s has HD7770 1GB $69.99 after rebate:
    [url<]http://www.frys.com/product/7333444?site=sa:adpages%20page:P2_SAT%20date:112412[/url<]

• albundy

the only good deal this year! lol and a warm one at that!

• willmore

If I had any use for it, I’d get one, but I just shoved an HD7850 in my gaming PC. I’ve not found any BF deals this year that were good enough to get me to go to a store. Well, there were the bunkbeds for the kids, but that’s not quite TR material. 🙂

• ULYXX

Im still contemplating going back to Fry’s. :-/

• BloodSoul

The Fry’s by my house rarely actually carries their ‘good deals’ like this. They typically advertise a 7770 for 70 bucks and then tell you they are out but they have a 7750 for $90 that will be ‘just as good’.

• willmore

Ahh, you made the mistake of talking to the staff. 🙂

• LoneWolf15

Great price on the Corsair 650D case; I’ve been very happy with mine.

Didn’t see much of a reason to go BF shopping, which is good; I already put enough into my new home server project, which I started building today.

• My Johnson

Arma 2 is for sale for $14.99 on Steam for your DayZ frustrations. I usually lived about 20 minutes.

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ve been having fun playing Dark Souls. Still haven’t tried DayZ although I have the expansion.

• Srsly_Bro

I got Sleeping Dogs with my 7950, and I haven’t even bothered to redeem the key yet.

• l33t-g4m3r

is dishonored a steam(works) version? nvm. yes it is. dishonored is $5 cheaper on amazon.

Amazon’s install limits are far more draconian than Steam’s, at least in the digital download distribution.

• l33t-g4m3r

It’s the physical copy, and I don’t buy digital downloads from amazon unless it has no drm, or uses steam.

It’s not really possible for amazon to be more draconian than steam when you’re buying steamworks games.

Unless you’re claiming steam is draconian, which I’ll concede their EULA permits, but is rarely a problem.

• jessterman21

Cyril, you are my hero, man. I’ve been waiting for the Batman games to drop below $10 apiece for at least a year. Cuz I’m cheap. Yeah Black Friday!!!

• bjm

For all those SSD holdouts out there that need storage:

VelociRaptor 500GB for [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236244<]$79[/url<].

• jjj

Seagate 3TB @ 90$ -likely to sell fast EDIT: Sold out
    [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=qxo_hjWrEeKiqLZ5T1_aag0_yfXI3_WWK_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822148844[/url<] 50 inch Westinghouse at 350$ [url<]http://www.target.com/p/westinghouse-digital-50-class-1080p-60hz-lcd-hdtv-black-cw50t9xw/-/A-14161384?ref=tgt_adv_xasd0001&AFID=Performics_dealspl.us_0004cf363dbcfe5c0ae32349d5004471&LNM=Primary%20Banner#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=westinghouse%2050%22[/url<]

• redavni

Don’t mess with that Mach Speed tablet. There are a ton of no name Android tablets out there. They are uniformly awful. Anything with less than 4.1 is obsolete now.

• maasenstodt

For those on a budget, the MSI 650 GTX for $70 after rebate looks like a nice deal as well. Comes with two free games also.

And even $100 for the pre-rebate price doesn’t seem too bad. The fact that the games are more or less new releases is a big deal. AssCreed3 and Shogun TW 2.

Max Payne 3 is a no-brainer for me, since I’ve been waiting for a substantial sale to play it. Unfortunately with the 30GB download, I won’t play it until tomorrow…lol

• Prestige Worldwide

Tell me about it. I have a 60GB monthly cap. I think I’ll download half of it now and half of it in December 🙁

I have a 250GB cap, it’s just going to take for freaking ever to download 30GB.

But so far it’s worth it. I’m part-way through chapter 5 and it’s a ton of fun. Is it a kitschy film noir adventure like the first two? No. But it’s got tons of character and I can see why they wanted to use Max. His life was in shambles. James Mcaffrey delivers a great performance. Tons of fun, and they actually made enhancements that make sense to bullet time.

• Decelerate

Oh man I feel for you. I remember my 60GB/month days… at the end of the month I always had to unplug the modem for the last 2-3 days because I was at megs of hitting the limit.

And that was then. I can’t imagine what it would feel like now :O

• Prestige Worldwide

EDIT: BF3 on Amazon for $30 is PREMIUM, including all DLC. Origin version is just the base game.

Original post:

The BF3 Amazon deal isn’t much of a deal at $30. However it is $12 on Origin right now…

[url<]http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.origin-deals?easid=Origin_PROMOBLACKFRIDAY70OFF_Web_Hero_BuyNow#BlackFriday2012[/url<]

• lilbuddhaman

The Origin version is the “base” version, no DLC.
      The Amazon version is the “premium” version, which equates to the actual full game, with all DLC’s inlcluded.

Seeing as how the game has a woefully low amount of maps before the DLC, you’ll want to get the premium version for the extra bit more.

p.s. I think this whole process of blatantly ripping pieces of the game out, staggering their release as “DLC”, is an absolute horse**** practice that needs to stop.

• Prestige Worldwide

Ah. For $30 with all the DLC it’s not that bad then, considering how much premium normally costs. Thanks for pointing that out.

I paid $15 for BF3 + B2K through a friend that works at EA and can’t say I would have ever bought the game at full price. I’m interested in getting the close quarters pack but I can’t say it’s worth more than $5 to me…. I’m not a fan of the COD / BF $60 game and 4+ $15 DLC packs. Milk milk milk.

• DancinJack

[quote<]Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 – $29.99 for the trilogy at Amazon.[/quote<] If you don't have these games, go buy this right now.

• Star Brood

There is a 2gb visiontek radeon 7850 on sale for 150! I am surprised you guys missed this amazing buy.

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129230[/url<] That was a very good deal.

• My Johnson

Sold out.

hence the “was”

• sweatshopking

YOU MISSED THE BEST SALE: ORCS MUST DIE 2 FOR 7$ (on steam)!!!! GAME IS TOP NOTCH!!! BUY IT AND WE CAN HAVE 1 ON 1 TIME!!! WHAT YOU’VE ALWAYS DREAMED OF!!

• JustAnEngineer

If this game recommendation came from anyone but an intentionally-obnoxious troll, it might merit a thumbs up.

• MadManOriginal

Orcs, trolls…both good fantasy creatures.

• brute

SSK IS THE CREATURE OF MY FANTASIES

• dpaus

nightmare != fantasy. Just wanted to clarify that.

• sweatshopking

me and brute are bff’s!

• MadManOriginal

ME TOO!

• sweatshopking

wtf jae??!??! i thought we were bros?

• Srsly_Bro

he’s jealous!!

• Yeats

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STYsEXiuruU[/url<]

• yogibbear

If the game was called SSK MUST DIE I would pony up some cash for that…

Did somebody say pony?

[url<]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/536/1292102239519.gif[/url<]

• sweatshopking

you love it

• Srsly_Bro

HOW DO YOU KNOW MY DREAMS?? WERE YOU THERE???? I DIDN”T SEE YOU.

• Vanye

For those who have been on the fence for the latest WOW expansion, Amazon has it on sale for $20 for the physical copy.

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Mists-Pandaria-PC-Mac/dp/B0050SZBP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353692932&sr=8-1&keywords=pandaria[/url<]

• Voldenuit

(finally) Picked up Sleeping Dogs yesterday, and the game was a lot of fun. The environment felt very authentically Hong Kong, like the Cantonese movies I grew up with in the 80s and 90s (without being literally identical to the actual locales). Loved the juxtaposition of Cantonese and English, if anything, would have liked a bit more Cantonese.

Haven’t had so much fun with a free form crimespree game since GTA2.

• indeego

“(finally) Picked up Sleeping Dogs yesterday, and the game was a lot of fun.”

Done already is not quite a glowing recommendation…

• Srsly_Bro

Is the game worth redeeming my free code instead of selling it?

• sweatshopking

depends if you like GTA style games. it’s a decent game for sure. good combat, decent environments. is there a demo available?

I did not like the spiritual predecessors – the True Crime series was OK but a pretty tame ripoff of GTA3 at the time. So I haven’t given Sleeping Dogs a second thought.

• chuckula

Ooh! By the burn pattern on that turkey, I see you’ve been cooking over the heat-sinks of your old P4s again.

• dpaus

That Asus Blu-Ray burner deal is pretty tempting….