Ubisoft shows off Far Cry 3 map editor

You know, Far Cry 3 is starting to look awfully tempting. Over the past few days, we’ve seen glowing reviews from sites like Shacknews and Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Now, a freshly posted Ubisoft video has given us a sneak peek at Far Cry 3‘s map editor—and, apparently, it’s a fairly powerful one. See below:

Players won’t be given absolute control, but what the trailer shows is pretty close. Ubisoft has implemented everything from terrain generation and object placement to weather and time-of-day selection. I also like the community angle. Being able to share your maps with other players easily and find the best community maps quickly really add to the value of a game. Valve already offers a similar community modding platform with Steam Workshop, of which Skyrim players have already been making extensive use.

Far Cry 3 is coming out on December 4 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Folks in Europe will be getting the game a few days early, on November 29. Based on the trailer, I’m getting the sense that the map creation tools won’t be PC-only. The more the merrier, I suppose—so long as the PC version of the toolkit isn’t be hampered by crummy controls.

• glacius555

From the Far Cry 3 gameplay video a month ago:

“Jason hears the Call of Duty and sees an opportunity for a Medal of Honor. So he heads´╗┐ out into the Battlefield to try and resolve the Crysis in Uncharted territory. But it’s kind of a Borderland between the series…”

• yogibbear

Yeah when I was watching that vid… I was just waiting for the devs to stop the puns… but they couldn’t. Neither was willing to end the lame-fest. At first it was terrible… then by halfway through it was a laugh.

• moose17145

Neat. Also is there any word on how the DRM on this is going to be? I know Ubisoft SAID something along the lines of them ditching their DRM mechanisms… but I am still skeptical….

Also, last sentence…
    [quote<]so long as the PC version of the toolkit isn't be hampered by crummy controls.[/quote<] I think you mean "...isn't being hampered by crummy controls" or just "...isn't hampered by crummy controls" Sorry, not trying to be a grammar nazi. Just sounded weird to me when I first read it.

• Joerdgs

You’ll still need Uplay for first time activation, but it’ll no longer kick you out of your game session when your connection fails. So it won’t be worse than GFWL.

• south side sammy

A long time ago I read something about initial activation on install and then nothing after that Hope that’s all there is.

As long as I can use the entire right side of my keyboard as I could in FC2 I’ll be happy. Hate having “made for PC “games and not be able to use the proximity of the number pad with my arrow keys.

• yogibbear

GOING. TO. BE. AWESOME!

• sweatshopking

yeah, i’m pretty jacked for this too.