Windows 8 upgrade sales beating Win7

Despite reports that Windows 8’s adoption is falling short of expectations, Microsoft says it’s sold 40 million licenses for the new OS. There’s no word on how many of those licenses apply to pre-built Windows 8 systems rather than separate software sales, but the demand for upgrades appears to be strong. According to Microsoft Chief Marketing Officer Tami Reller, Win8 upgrade sales are outpacing those of Win7.

To be fair, Windows 8 upgrades are cheaper. Until January 31, you can move an existing Windows install to the latest version for only $40. Windows 7 upgrades dipped as low as $50 for Home Premium and $100 for Professional versions of the OS, but those prices were associated with a limited-time offer that lasted only two weeks. Consumers have a lot more time to cash in on discounted upgrades this time around, and some early adopters may be in no hurry to upgrade as a result. The longer discount window has allowed me to put off upgrading my own desktop system to Windows 8.

Of course, Windows 8 has considerably more appeal for tablets and convertible notebooks than it does for desktops. There are loads of touchscreen-equipped Win8 notebooks out in the wild right now, but the selection of tablets and convertibles remains thin and largely limited to ARM-based Windows RT devices that can’t run traditional x86 software. The situation should improve as more Win8 systems roll out in the coming weeks and months, but I’m surprised the tablet options are so limited a month after the OS’s release.

Ars Technica points out that Windows 7 sold 60 million copies in the ten weeks after its release, 40 million of which were attributed to the first month. Windows 8 appears to be on track to match the success of its predecessor, at least, but that doesn’t mean it’s meeting Microsoft’s expectations.

• ultima_trev

For $40 there is no excuse to not upgrade to Windows 8, especially if one’s PC is using Vista or older. Or heck, you can install the upgrade over the consumer preview (as I did). Windows 8 Pro for this cheap is a ****ing bargain.

At first I thought the Modern UI Start Screen would be its undoing, but after the learning curve (five minutes at most), it’s actually fantastic. Amazing even, especially if one has more than one screen at their disposal. I feel the need to iterate that one does not need a touch screen to get the most of Windows 8.

• sschaem

Again, those license are to OEM and means nothing to Win8 measured success.

In the US Windows 8 took 1.77% of internet usage one month after launch compared to 5.21% for Windows 7 following its introduction.

[url<]http://gs.statcounter.com/press/windows-8-slower-out-of-the-traps-than-predecessor-windows-7[/url<]

• phez

Windows Marketing Chief says own product is doing “awesome”.

In other news, flying pigs found in the Borneo forest.

• rechicero

This is not about hate, it’s about sending a message. Win8 is a great OS for tablets. The thing is I use a desktop, so my message is “when you sell Win8 Desktop Edition, I’ll buy it.”.

And I don’t want to buy additional programs just to be able to use my desktop as it’s intended to use, thanks. If MS wants to use its muscle to promote its App Store, it won’t do it with my money.

• rrr

World is full of morons. Nothing surprising.

• jdaven

Windows sells new licenses of the latest version because they stop selling the old version. With an 85% marketshare the number of licenses sold will be very high. But a high number of licenses sold doesn’t mean we have to like the OS. It also doesn’t mean customers are choosing the OS. Unless computer sales drop to zero or Linux/Apple sales increase a thousand times, the only choice when you buy a PC is windows 8 and nothing else.

• sweatshopking

luckily, windows doesn’t suck like linux or osx!

• jdaven

Why would you say that? I thought you were all about getting along and loving each other. What is wrong with competition and multiple players competing with each other? Why say something sucks?

Now don’t get me wrong. It is okay to criticize a product and hold it up to a standard. Some here have valid criticisms of Windows 8 and other OSes. But to like something just to like it without any means testing is not a good way to innovate. Same goes for hating something just to hate it.

Try Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. Keep an open mind. Switch when one doesn’t do what you want. Switch back when it does. Or use multiple devices with different OSes that are best suited for the device and your needs.

i was just teasing you.

• rrr

You call your momma linux or osx? Or is this some kind of a safe word?

• Krogoth

I’m very curious to know what the breakdown is for the “40 million licenses”. I would be surprised if a sizable bulk of it are SMB/Enterprise users.

• willyolio

i’m still of the opinion that one should only buy odd-numbered windows.

• MadManOriginal

That would have been an awesome time for the years between Windows 95 and Windows 7.

• Bensam123

People were leery to upgrade from XP after Vista… After the coast was clear, people migrated to W7. People currently think W8 is another W7 and not another Vista, so they’re buying it up.

• Krogoth

I think a good portion of W8 licenses who are picking-up additional licensees for their personal use since a single-seat W8 license is very affordable and it is just Window 7+ with an app-store front-end. I’m wondering if some of them were *cough* causal pirates *cough* that didn’t get legit copies of Vista/7 because of their single-seat license costs.

• yogibbear

Quick time event “tap screen to win”.

• Xenolith

I have 4 PCs and upgraded one to Win 8 just so I have reference. I’m actually fine with it, especially after installing RetroUI. But I don’t see the need to update my remaining PCs.

• emorgoch

Questions for those that may have done so:
    a) Where can I buy the upgrade?
    b) I don’t want to install the upgrade at this point in time, I wish to delay it indefinitely. Just feel that a $40 upgrade fee is reasonable to future proof. What do I get when I purchase the upgrade, and how long can I put it off?

• sweatshopking

[url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/upgrade-offer[/url<] and yes. you can put it off as long as you like. it's an upgrade key. it'll work indefinitely.

• PixelArmy

FYI, the free Media Center upgrade key must be used before Feb 1, 2013.

• Voldenuit

Link to Free Media Center Upgrade: [url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs[/url<]

• sweatshopking

yes, media center must be, but the upgrade code doesn’t matter.

• Forge

Ah, so that’s how MS closed that barn door. I knew they would do something, it’s kind of cheap that they’re doing that without advising anyone that the terms changed.

• MadManOriginal

The terms for free Media Center were always that it had to be activated no later than 1/31/13.

• ludi

If he’s looking for the $40 upgrade on a PC purchased before June 7, 2012, that link is easier to find here:

[url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light[/url<]

it IS easier there!

• Forge

You can download the upgrade assistant, pay 40$, make media (ISO or USB), and then simply never use it. That’s AOK.

• nanoflower

Except that doesn’t work the Media Center upgrade, correct? How does that work if you want to reinstall in December of next year? Is the Media Center key no longer going to work so you will have to pay for that functionality or does Msft have a way around that issue? Obviously doing a clone of the boot drive and reinstalling should work but that’s not something most average people would be comfortable doing.

• Arclight

Adding another proof for the impending Apocalypse to my list.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Heeee Hawww
    [url<]http://www.neowin.net/news/ballmer-several-windows-8-apps-have-had-one-million-downloads[/url<] 2013 is becoming the year of Windows 8 haterade.

• Deanjo

So they hit what Angry Birds does alone in a day.

• sweatshopking

you know they only sold like 40 million ipads all last year (is a lot, but MS is going to have the largest user base pretty quickly)? ms does that in 1 month. cool story bro

• Deanjo

You know that iOS 6 was upgraded to 60% (246 Million) of iOS devices within the first month. True story bro.

• sweatshopking

what’s your point? it’s not a fair comparison. they’re not the same thing. one is an appliance with a free upgrade, the other is a complete purchase for computer. even YOU can understand the difference.

• Deanjo

OS X 10.8 adoption 20% within 5 weeks. Not bad considering the amount of macs that could not upgrade because they did not meet minimum specs.

• sweatshopking

that’s like 20 people. i can’t believe you ACTUALLY think that the 2 markets are comparable.

• Deanjo

Excuses excuses SSK. MS deeply discounted their upgrades and despite having the same basic requirements as their OS that came out six years ago and still can’t generate the excitement for their newest OS. You are right they are not comparable. Apple can market to their users, MS has alienated theirs.

• sweatshopking

generate excitement? it’s the fastest selling windows in history. man, the RDF is strong with you

it’s also free, automatic and mandatory. Windows 8 is none of those.

• Scrotos

It’s not mandatory. My wife is keeping her iPhone 4 on 5.x because she fears and hates the new maps app. I didn’t use it enough to care so I upgraded my 4S to 6. So free and mostly automatic, yah. You gotta accept the upgrade manually and you can just not upgrade if you don’t want to.

• Deanjo

It’s not automatic or mandatory.

• sweatshopking

it will be. apps require new versions of iOS. you’re splitting hairs.

• Deanjo

You mean like how some programs require Windows 8 before running such as metro apps? Sorry, but I still have iOS systems that are running iOS 4.3 and [b<]hundreds of thousands[/b<] of apps still run on it just fine and are available for it. Nice try.

• sweatshopking

you seem to have a failure with logic. nobody said that metro apps didn’t have lock in. don’t be so crazy.

• PixelArmy

If we’re going to compare irrelevant stuff… Win8 is poised to surpass iOS in web traffic, which according to a few commenters, is all that matters.

[url<]http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-overtakes-android-in-web-traffic[/url<] (past Android, a few more weeks for iOS to go down.)

• Forge

If iPads were 15$, I would have bought a dozen, just like I did Win8. Half a dozen times 15$ = cheap futureproofing.

• kvndoom

H8r’s gonna H8, yo.

[url<]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/536/1292102239519.gif[/url<]

• thanatos355

This is from a person who hated every slip and rumor of Windows 8 including the Dev. Preview.

Having said that…

I installed Win8 out of boredom a couple of weeks ago. The log on screen and the Start screen are just as horrible as I knew they’d be. They just don’t work well with a “classic” desktop environment.

However…

Upon installing Stardock’s Start8, the entire experience changes. So far, It has been a [b<][i<]solid[/i<][/b<] experience. Start8 sockets right in and looks OEM. An option to auto-skip the Start Screen makes getting to the good stuff even easier, though I do wish that it loaded directly to the Desktop, but that split second flash of Start Hell can be overlooked. I am really liking some of the changes MS has made too. The speed graphs for file transfers are a nice touch. Much better than the old bouncing back and forth countdown timer. This way gives you some useful information and more of a sense of control over things. The highly tweaked Task Manager is startling in it's comprehensiveness. Though I don't particularly care for the move of the Startup section from System Configuration to a tab in the Task Manager. As far as Windows Apps and the store. For the most part it's rather gimmicky, but that's understandable at this early stage. The one "app" that I've really bothered with so far has been Netflix. On Win7 I had the choice of running it in a browser window, which was inconvenient for me personally, or via a [i<][b<]shoddy[/i<][/b<] WMC plugin that was just painful to even look at. Having the ability to use a separate, quality, application to watch Netflix on has been great. However, being able to run those "Modern UI Apps" in windows from the Desktop would be a great improvement. I'm really amazed that, with a few tweaks, I actually enjoy using Windows 8.

I agree with you, for the most part.

What’s so frustrating is that with [b<][i<]minimal effort[/i<][/b<] Windows 8 becomes likeable - proving that Microsoft are actually going [i<]out of their way[/i<] to shovel their "unified interface experience" crap down our throats, to the detriment of every non-touchscreen device user on the planet. Very few people like this touch-centric interface when they don't have touchscreens. If we had the option of switching it off without the need for third-party hacks like Start8, I'm sure Windows 8 would be getting a [b<]MUCH[/b<] warmer reception without all the nerdrage. They wouldn't need to lie with statistics, which is what they're doing at the moment; [url=http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-40-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-so-far<]Microsoft is being particularly coy[/url<] about how many of those 40-million licenses have actually been sold to end users, rather than OEM and refuses to add what the actual adoption rate for existing desktops/laptops is. I can't find concrete information but someone has mentioned that actually, despite the fancy press releases, Windows 8 adpotion is 5x lower than Windows 7 adoption after 1 month, based on impartial statistics like web-traffic and driver downloads.

• yogibbear

They’re relying on a stat that was referenced on TR as well that was about pre-release adoption (i.e. Microsoft Tech licensed folks).

• thanatos355

To me, Vista was much the same way. With a few (ok, a bunch) of tweaks, it was a really good OS. It was radically different in a lot of ways and MS had some zany ideas it was playing with, but once you compensated for those ideas all was well.

I had forgotten I was going to mention something about boot times being drastically reduced, especially with an SSD. Thanks for mentioning it. 🙂

I still prefer XP for networking though. 😀

• LoneWolf15

No guarantee MS won’t break Start8 or Classic Shell during the Win8 update process going down the road. At this point, I don’t trust them not to, through deliberation, or a mistake followed by indifference to their customer base –after all, so far they’ve been indifferent to those who want the option to choose the alternative.

• thanatos355

I can’t really see them deliberately interfering with a third-party program’s functionality. They’re not Apple after all. 😛

But, it’s nice to know that, out of everything I wrote, your only problem was that MS [b<][i<][u<]might[/b<][/i<][/u<] "break" a tweak program and keep it from running as designed/expected.

• bjm

That’s quite a stretch.

If you’re point of reference for this is Microsoft changing the .scf hack behavior which prevented booting straight into the desktop, then you’re sorely mistaken. Despite the many articles that ran all over the internet that third party start menus were being deliberately disabled by Microsoft, properly coded applications like Classic Shell and Start8 have never stopped working.

Sure, they made changes that affected the compatibility of hacky implementations (the types of implementations that relied on legacy code which just so happened to be the consumer/release previews), but proper implementations were never affected. If you wish to continue using those types of apps, then you have a different problem altogether.

• Ringofett

I haven’t had a chance to confirm it either, but I saw someone say (possibly here?) that the Modern UI Netflix app isn’t silverlight, therefore everybody that bought a Zacate E350 and its kin (like me and my HP dm1z) that have been pissed off about the inability to do something as common as watch Netflix in HD finally can with hardware acceleration.

The next question I face: Do I really want to drop $40 to update a dm1z just for Netflix? Mmm, not really.

• Forge

Start8. I have no idea why so many people jumped on this.

Granted, it’s only 5$, but Classic Shell does the EXACT SAME THINGS, and more, and it’s 5$ less than 5$, and is open source software to boot.

• thanatos355

I’ve tried both.

Classic Shell isn’t anywhere near as polished as Start8. Start8 looks like it belongs with Win8. Classic Shell looks like an ugly lump that someone slapped on as an after thought, which both actually are.

Start8 does exactly what I need it to do and it’s aesthetically pleasing to boot.

Not a hard choice there, mi compadre.

• RedAdmiral

Same here. I am actually very surprised but I like Windows 8. I was going to downgrade on my new laptop, but once I got a decent start menu in, I started to like it. Still rough edges I could do without, like you said not being able to run Modern UI apps directly from the desktop, and I still have a hard time going between the taskbar and the Modern UI apps list, but all in all not a bad OS.

• Kaleid

“Great”. Now more tablet crap is more likely to come to windows 9 too. My desktop PC will never be a tablet or a cellphone, keep that crap out from the OS or at least make it optional.

Windows is getting the same change as games did a few years ago. They all have to be multiplatform, and for this quality suffers, it becomes mainstreamed.

• Scrotos

It’s not the multiplatform, it’s the consoles and their limited hardware that people complain causes games to be stagnant. Multiplatform could be a PC game ported to Windows, OS X, and Linux. The console ports are what are “necessary” to recoup development costs and blah blah blah etc.

Just clarifying the traditional “PC gaming is dead” rant for ya.

• Kaleid

Ok, So my chosen words were not perfect, but the goal is to integrate various platforms into a similar look, feel and the way they are used. And it’s clearly not working that well for desktop use.

[url<]https://techreport.com/blog/23833/my-six-days-with-windows-8?post=683791[/url<] [url<]http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Usability+on+PCs+for+Novice+and+Power+Users+Blasted+in+Study/article29246.htm[/url<]

• moose17145

and yet there still seems to be a market towards real PC gamers out there…

[url<]http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/[/url<] Various other kick starters have already proved this too. Glad to see people with original ideas and a plan to actually make it happen being able to break free of the likes of EA, Ubisoft, etc., who always just shot them down for having a great original idea.

• MadManOriginal

Despite the sales figures, h8rs gonna h8.

• sschaem

Those are not meaningful sales figure. Its just the number of licenses OEM committed to.
      No love or hate. The fact speak for themselves.

• sweatshopking

did you read the ars article i linked?

• BIF

I was just thinking the other day how much I <3 to h8. I think it’s in my DNA.

But I’m usually a gentle h8er. h8 with a smile I always say.

• StashTheVampede

Got on the deal for $15, wonderful. It’s installed and usable, but not perfect. All of my apps are in the legacy interface, so I’m shown a quick glance of Metro and immediately open Chrome, BF3, etc.

Even at $40, it’s not a bad deal for a legit license. While there are many apps that add the start menu, I figure it’s time to learn what MS is trying to push (even if I don’t care for it). Over time, it may be used more, but Metro quickly gets out of the way with one button press.

Win8 was really built to have a touch interface at all times. The sliding interface works well and it’s mostly consistent between peeking at information, pinning items, etc. After using it, I’m really looking at Windows mobile phones as my next phone.

• Voldenuit

Upgraded the wife’s X230T tablet to Win8 Pro for $15 last night. Install was relatively painless. Upgrade tool prompted me to uninstall incompatible drivers, then did an in-place upgrade (I didn’t even need external media!).

I had already read up on which drivers were needed to make the X230T fully functional on Win8, so it didn’t take me long to restore touchscreen, bluetooth and pen functionality. Swipe to activate charms bar is a little laggy – it may suffer the same problem as the yoga does with putting the touchscreen to sleep after inactivity. Will disable sleep on the touchscreen tonight and see if that fixes it.

Not a fan of the interface. I thought I knew what to expect, but was still taken aback at how dichotomous the split between keyboard, mouse, touch and pen interfaces is on Win8. Win7 with the pen was klunky, but familiar. Facing a steep learning curve and still not sure where all the analogous controls for different input methods are located.

Technically, it’s pretty decent under the hood – blazingly fast bootup on the SSD, and very responsive (once the touchscreen wakes up to register swipes). But the UI feels unfinished and inconsistent. We’re probably going to keep it on Win8, but it’s definitely not something I would pay more than $15 for, ever. And I wouldn’t get it for a non-touch-enabled computer.

• StashTheVampede

The “under the hood” improvements and legit license cost is why I went with Win8. Improvements to using SSD is wonderful, along with the additional changes to boot/restart time.

Metro is fine by itself, providing you never have to “leave” it to open and run another application. I don’t like the restrictions between how some of the Metro apps and current “desktop” equivalents never “share” items, but I understand the decision and hope more items go to the Metro interface (as MS wants as well).

My biggest gripe is that the tutorial for the new interface is really f’ing poor and there aren’t enough forms of “hints” to help lost people (definitely couldn’t find the Shutdown location, easily).

• superjawes

“Windows 8 upgrade sales are beating Windows 7”

“That’s not true…that’s impossible!”

/Win8hate

• Deanjo

A lot of people did not upgrade to Windows 7. They stuck with their old system and XP during Vista and upgraded by buying a new system when 7 came out.

• sweatshopking

come up with more excuses. keep at it! you’ll think of something!

• Scrotos

That’s what our entire business of 50-ish seats did. I don’t think we bought a single “upgrade” of any OS from Win2K to XP to Win7 (skipped Vista).

I’ll probably buy a copy or two of Win8 just to play with. Why? Because it’s relatively CHEAP. That’s the ONLY reason. And you know, that’ll be more copies of Win8 upgrade than I ever bought for Win7 or WinXP, so I guess that stat’s valid.

But if enthusiasts are buying it because it’s cheap and just to have it to maybe one day use, I don’t feel that’s a wholehearted adoption of the OS no matter the raw numbers. Just sayin’. Heck, that’s why I started upgrading OS X on my macs… CHEAP! If they were still $100 a seat or whatever they used to be, I wouldn’t have bothered.

• Deanjo

That’s what most companies did. And there are probably more so this time around with Windows 8. They will skip it because it brings no improvement over 7 in a working environment. In fact forcing their employees to use 8 would just decrease their productivity.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] In fact forcing their employees to use 8 would just decrease their productivity. [/quote<] long term citation needed. nobody thinks 8 is going to sell like gangbusters to enterprise. 7 has been. quit being silly. the point is that you're pretending 8 has failed when there is no data to support that. it MIGHT fail long term, but it's to early to call, and you're pretending it already has when [i<] it's the fastest selling version of windows in history [/i<]

• Ringofett

I can’t remember the pricing and feature difference, but for some reason I decided to not upgrade from Vista with an upgrade license. I bought an OEM license.

In fact, Win8 is my first upgrade license I’ve ever bought. All the others have been OEM.

• sschaem

Those are licenses to OEM. Acer, Lenovo, etc..

They buy them by the million and they sit in a database ready to be printed on stickers.

40 million with low windows8 presence on the web is not encouraging for OEM, they might be sitting on millions upon millions of unused licenses. But hey, MS will spin that any way they can.

BTW, windows8 upgrade where 15$ for the longest time and you can still find them for 25$. (50$ with a 25$ coupon/gift card).. MS is DESPERATE. If they show a bad number this quarter the stock will be hit soooo hard as this will confirm wall street mantra “The PC is dead” and down goes Microsoft with it.

• PixelArmy

Even if this is true, it would also be true for Win7 in comparison, so the OEM standpoint is not really relevant (unless the OEMs are buying more now, which is unlikely given the economy and PC growth/sales/demand). Additionally, for people purchasing systems right before the release, the equivalent $15 Win8 upgrade, would have been the [i<]free[/i<] Win7 upgrade.

• sschaem

No, because windows7 web traffic after 1 month was 5x higher then windows8.

So the difference is that Windows7 had a 5x higher user adoption.
        So It might take OEM 5 time longer to burn those 40 million Win8 licenses then they did with windows7.

• PixelArmy

I was just pointing out that Win 7 similarly had a bunch of licenses to OEMs and an ultra cheap upgrade period. That makes a fair comparison, [i<]in terms of the story[/i<]. I didn't see that edit to add web traffic in... Link? How accurate is web traffic in lieu of app store apps? Anecdote alert, I upgraded my HTPC, but never use the browser... apps on the start screen, provide a good dash board in that situation. Also, if you could link the $25 upgrade... I'd be interested in another copy, that may or may not add to web traffic. 😉

• Forge

Win7 was never available for 15$ a copy. Hell, Windows 8 is 0$ a copy right now, if you try at all.

• MadManOriginal

$0? Do tell..

• sweatshopking

bizspark.com 0$ for 10 keys!

• Forge

Actually, OA3 says that the OEMs should only be purchasing licenses they have used (on a PC) or are planning to use shortly (production systems can do real-time license procurement from MS), so the only reason for the OEMs to have consumed millions of licenses is if they shipped millions of PCs with 8 already on.

BTW, there are no more stickers with the serial on them. OEMs just have generic “OEM Windows FER REALZ LOL” stickers, and the serial is written to firmware.

Good or bad, MS did make major changes to Win8 to make it less simple to pirate. Some worked better than others, though, as the “free Win8 with your free MCE” debacle is illustrating.

• RickyTick

Okay, so Windows 8 may not be the operating system that YOU wanted it to be, but it’s not the colossal failure that many predicted (or hoped) it would be.

• Omniman

I would gladly still spend more for Windows 7. I do have 8 on my laptop but certainly not the same feel as Windows 7.

• vandy

ugh, just run classic shell and be done with it. seriously, what do you mean by “same feel”. take out the metro start screen via classic shell and uninstall the metro apps it “feels” exactly like win 7 with the added benefit of under the hood improvements.

• Deanjo

There are quite a few functions that still throw you into a Metro UI even after installing Classic shell.

• sweatshopking

which is nice, cause it’s pretty.

About as pretty as xfce 1.0

lol

when the new ois stuff trends to look like metro, are you going to suddenly come on board?
            [url<]http://www.autoomobile.com/news/ios-6-vs-android-jelly-bean-wp8/1006804/[/url<] [url<]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/technology/apple-shake-up-could-mean-end-to-real-world-images-in-software.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0[/url<]

• Deanjo

I bought it, but I won’t be installing it. I just took advantage of the $15 offer and downloaded it for future use if MS ever fixes the usability issues in a future update.

• GTVic

Translation: “I have no idea if Windows 8 is usable and I prefer to simply repeat what I’ve heard elsewhere”

• BIF

He never said he has no idea, so you may be jumping to conclusions here.

For all you know, he tried it on the RP or RTM trial (like I did) and he has excellent reasons for holding off (like I am). I have not bought it either but I plan to. And I might not install it right away either, also waiting for usability improvements.

• bjm

Why wait for Microsoft to fix when Classic Shell already has?

The newer version completely bypasses the Metro screen now, you don’t even see it anymore. In the earlier versions, it would show the Metro screen then auto-switch to the desktop. Now, it immediately goes to the desktop upon login if you want. After you disable hot corners, it’s like Windows 7, but with a new theme and all the improvements Windows 8 brings. Unless you really really like the Aero theme, there is no reason to stick with Windows 7 if you already have Windows 8.

• Deanjo

The theme is a peeve of mine as well. To simply put it, it’s fugly when compared to 7. Then there is also other issues that I have ran into with incompatibility and items like going and selecting shutdown but instead getting thrown back to the login screen.

[url<]http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/W8ITProPreRel/thread/be4fd1a8-f8c8-4adb-a500-4448feba9f3f[/url<] Then there is the whole fact in a lot of areas you still have to deal with the metro interface even with classic shell and it becomes a complete hodge podge different ui looks.

• xeridea

Even the desktop portion, Metro is is present. It looks terrible and is harder to use. Why go through all the hoops when you can just stick to Win7? Win8 brings 0 usability improvements of any sort. There is a small memory usage improvement, that doesn’t really matter on desktop since RAM is about 3 cents per gig, and 4-8 gig is standard. There are also some incompatibilities.

• yogibbear

You might have to wait till Windows Blue… at the fair price of $100 for the equivalent of SP1 :/

• Deanjo

Hey I had to use that $15 MS gift card sometime.