New IE ad pokes fun at the haters

Let’s face it: Internet Explorer has an image problem. For years, Microsoft’s browser was synonymous with sub-par security, poor standards support, and sluggish performance. IE has made huge strides since then, but bad reputations are hard to shake.

Instead of touting the browser’s merits, the latest ad on the official Internet Explorer YouTube channel pokes fun at some of IE’s more hardened haters. The result is… interesting. Take a look:

Okay, that got got a few laughs out of me—and I was one of those guys not so long ago. The headings ("Curious?," "It’s good now," "No, really") on browseryoulovedtohate.com are cute, too. Microsoft does have a point: IE10 in Windows 8 is pretty snappy, even if Chrome still feels slightly faster to me. As TR’s resident web designer, I also appreciate the IE team’s new-found appreciation for web standards.

Microsoft’s efforts seem to be bearing fruit, anyway, because IE’s usage share is on the rise again. According to figures from Net Applications, IE usage increased from 52.6% to 54.1% between October 2011 and October 2012. It looks like those gains came at the expense of Firefox, which declined from 22.5% to 20.0% over the same time period. Chrome, Safari, Opera, and "other" browsers all saw modest share increases between October 2011 and October 2012, according to Net Applications.

• Bensam123

OPERA REPRESENTTTT!!!!!!

Really browsers have a lot to do with personal taste. I still consider Opera above all other browsers, but Chrome is pushing it hard. It’s still ridiculous how few people use Opera… or even know about it.

• albundy

Aigh!!! West side!

• pins

It’s the little things.
      Like the quick download box at the top of the transfers window.

• RainMotorsports

lol only I have to hate on Opera for having a bug that has persisted since at least 9 all the way into 12 and in 12 not sure when exactly this became in issue but I noticed while working on a template presents behavior slightly out of standards compliance while not being an issue in previous versions.

Thank god for their j2me browser back in the day though. Seems their current mobile browsers might not be up to snuff on standards like one would expect from the Opera crew but I am sure on some phones they are saving lives where other browsers just wont work.

Been using opera since v5 (’01/’02 ish?). Chrome is fine, but I don’t want to be part of their botnet.

• Welch

I’m not a huge fan at all of Opera on the desktop.. However Opera on my Atrix has easily been my favorite browser. I couldn’t stand FF on it, even prefer the default android browser over FF. My BIGGEST qualm with Opera mobile though… is that 1/6 pages I click on, it wont go to, it will instead act like its going to go to the page but then simply refreshes my current page. Its an issue I’ve seen others complain about, it used to do it 1/2 of the time so I stopped using it. Now it does it a lot less after many many updates.

If they could fix that issue and make it so some embedded videos ran better for resizing while the video is playing, it would hands down be flawless. I love the way it zooms in on text when you tap them if for some reason you select more than 1 item next to each other, making it easier to select the actual one you wanted, genius idea.

• Welch

I’ve not gotten a chance to try IE 10 out yet and will once Win 8 matures, but they tried to push IE9 down peoples throats and it ended up a failure for my uses. Myself and a few other techs attempted to use it at first and it went OK. Given some time we found ourselves migrating to Firefox. I managed to show another tech who was a huge IE guy how the browser kept failing with plugins where Firefox was faster and more stable right out of the box.

I’ve actually had someone who worked at MS for a good number of years tell us that he wouldn’t use IE if paid to. It also speaks volumes that the lead designer of IE for the last 20+ years jumped ship right after the release of IE9 and claimed he wanted to design a browser for a company that actually cared about its customers….. (No I’m not going to find the article right now, but it was reported here on TR a few years back)

I’m sorry.. but that video is simply rhetoric bullshit. I’d rather see those improvements shown and displayed rather than some inside attempt at humor. If the guys reason for saying IE sucks less is because of some karaoke thing, then Microsoft really has nothing going for it anymore.

As for it performing better in Windows 8……. its because its their own OS and they just released it. Firefox, Opera, Google chrome probably took queues from the rest of the world saying that Windows 8 was going to be crap and concentrated on the current largest market share (Windows 7).

Give it another 6-9 months and Firefox and Chrome will out perform IE on its own OS.

• Welch

If your going to down vote someone, the least you can do is reply and explain yourself. Or perhaps you allowed the video to make you feel like hating IE based on previous track records is now suddenly not cool with you. Ironic that MS would make their video a dude being cut down while posting online that IE sucks. Its exactly why they chose that rhetoric so that people would get up in arms when anyone posted anything negative about IE. Keep on playing along puppets.

• Krogoth

Most of IE’s flak comes from IE6 and earlier. It has been a decent browser ever since then.

Anyway, I still fail to grasp why non-web developers make a big deal out of web browsers. It is just as silly as the Coke-Cola versus Pepsi piss-fests. All of the major web browsers are shadows of each other. They incorporate the same basic standards and feature sets. The differences if any are trivial at best.

• l33t-g4m3r

Seriously? I guess you haven’t heard of extensions, which IE doesn’t have a lot of. IE7pro is the only one I tried, and it doesn’t work with newer versions all that well, if at all.

[quote<]I guess you haven't heard of extensions[/quote<] That's a weird way to spell bloat.

• l33t-g4m3r

It’s not bundled, is optional, increases functionality and serves a purpose, so it’s not bloat. Wrong definition by any means. If anything, bloat always describes Microsoft, and their browser hasn’t been competitive for a long time. The video is 100% correct in that the only nice description of IE can be is that it sucks less, or that maybe the latest version is tolerable. Once you get used to the extra functionality and stability of other browsers, you really don’t care to use IE anymore, especially when the latest IE is ALWAYS TIED TO THE FREAKING NEW OS THAT YOU AREN’T USING. In which case, the “sucks less” argument doesn’t even apply, because the un-updatable old version sucks a hell of a lot more. There isn’t a valid IE argument for people using older OSes, and they’ll keep using their alternative browser even after upgrading, and that’s why IE will consistently lose browser marketshare until IE no longer is used by the majority.

• sweatshopking

i’m using the new OS.

• jensend

?? IE7 wasn’t decent either. Its main benefit was that it gave people hope that MS might start really improving things. Its standards compliance was only very marginally improved over IE6 and its performance (especially on JS) was basically just as abysmal as IE6’s.

It wasn’t until IE 8 that MS started to really deliver on those hopes. IE 9 is the first one that I’d really feel comfortable calling decent. IE9’s performance and standards compliance were finally in the same ballpark as its competitors.

• RhysAndrews

This is probably the best approach to a new IE ad that Microsoft could have taken, so no criticisms here.

• mkk

Noticed how IE10 preview (Win7) has auto correcting spell checker that can not be turned off. (Edit: found a setting that was hidden under Extensions)

• thaneross

I’ll forgive IE after someone repays me for the hundreds of hours I’ve wasted over the years having to bastardize my standards-compliant webapps that worked beautifully in everything except IE.

• LoneWolf15

If you could integrate Adblock Plus into IE, it’d be a relatively decent browser.

Until then, Firefox FTW.

• MadManOriginal

IE has adblocking available…maybe it’s not ‘AdBlock Plus’ but it does the same thing. Plus ‘do not track’.

• Meadows

Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all have “Do Not Track”.

• MadManOriginal

Ok, so all they have feature parity in this area.

The only reason IE marketshare is growing again is because Mozilla have dropped the ball.

I loved Mozilla, past tense.
    I barely recognise the new Firefox, which became so much of an annoyance I defected having stuck with it since 0.8 pre-release.

I am running a mix of FF, Chrome, Opera on my three most frequent machines to keep an eye on which one will be the one to use going forward but every time I use IE9 I am reminded why it’s not in that shortlist, I believe the video sums it up nicely – that whilst IE sucks less, it does still suck.

• xeridea

IE SUCKS…. Less

This pretty much sums, it up, and is the story/problem with all IE releases.

• Meadows

Only a matter of time before Krogoth recites his “The browser wars are so 1999” mantra again in the comment section.

• indeego

AIM message sound? wh… why again?

This is hilarious. Still not using IE. I just want to control my web too much, sorry Microsoft!

• albundy

ahahaha, Internet Exploder FTW! so true!!! Are they really banking on advertising with inflated statistics? nothing will change the haters mind on IE. the new commercial should be: what keeps me away from IE? its the little HUGE things. when you right click on the FF menu, there’s something called CUSTOMIZE. being able to combine the Nav, Menu, Address bar, and Search box on one line isnt that hard to figure out. that and getting rid of Active X.

• Wirko

Customizing things? You’re so 2003. Yours truly, Microsoft Corporation.

• albundy

hah, yeah, but in the end, you aint gettin mah money unless you change that. Sincerely, the consumer.

• EsotericLord

Last I check, we haven’t had to pay for a browser since the Netscape days.

Can largely thank MS for that one too. Not that they exactly did it out of the kindness of their hearts though.

• shaurz

That was quite funny. But IE still sucks 😉

• lilbuddhaman

“IE Performs better on Win 8” – Gee I wonder why, maybe the exclusive hooks that other devs are locked out of?
    “IE available on Xbox360” – Because surfing with a controller is AWESOME, especially after surfing past the 7 on screen ads just to get to the browser.

IE STILL SUCKS!

• End User

As the desktop market share shrinks so does IE’s usage share (now at 28.13%): [url<]http://goo.gl/4fr36[/url<]

• jjj

IE should be gaining share because a lot of traffic from consumers shifts to mobile devices so business PCs (with users that don’t care or are not allowed to change the browser) are a higher % of the stats.
    In the end Net App sucks too and other stats provide very different numbers
    [url<]http://www.w3counter.com/trends[/url<] [url<]http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201204-201209[/url<] As for the viid it sucks on so many levels but the most important is that "IE sucks" is what sticks with the viewer and harming the product is not what an ad is supposed to do.

• willmore

No, the takeaway is that IE sucks… *less*. Talk about a strange message. Make a strawman of your oposition and then, instead of beating it up, surrender to it for the concession that you used to suck *more*. They never covered that when I studied debate.

No, it’s showing the “IE SUCKS” troll is trying to save face and realized it’s pretty good. He’s not going to allow that in his mind, though, so he writes “IE SUCKS…LESS”

• indeego

Small businesses outnumber large ones by an order of magnitude, and small businesses can be a lot more flexible with changing platforms/browsers/technology. Microsoft has the most to lose in this segment.

• rrr

Island of kittens? I’d use IE just for that. If it had anything like Video DownloadHelper, that is.

• chuckula

I’ll be happy to try out IE10 once it shows up in the Arch repositories.

• JosiahBradley

That literally made me laugh out loud. I have to run several VMs because MS won’t release their source…

• Sargent Duck

Haha, that was a funny commercial.

I’ve been using IE9 since it was available and have been happy enough with it. Yeah, there are little nuances here and there, but nothing major.

I was a HUGE Firefox user (going back to the days when it was Phoenix), but jumped ship after FF4. I’m pretty excited about IE10.

• l33t-g4m3r

FF has had some massive improvements since 4. Not saying you should switch, but you can’t use FF4 as an excuse for now.

• xeridea

Agreed. There was some growing pains with the big transition to FF4, but was fixed fairly quickly, and is a lot better now. Something that can’t be said about IE. It takes years for them to make another browser, there is no easy way to update the browser, and progress is usually small.

• jdaven

I’ve never had a problem with IE from a software point of view. I have a problem with market share so high that competition and innovation stalls. And when other players enter the market, anti-competitive business practices are used to stop the new player rather than compete with a quality product.

There should always be several roughly equal players that keep leap frogging each other with regard to innovation and features so that in the end, the consumer wins.

• internetsandman

Consumers never agree on anything long enough for big players to take notice and actually conform to what they want most of the time

• Kaleid

It still doesn’t work that well. I have IE10 installed on Win7 and there is still a compatibility button. Why is this still needed, I’ve never needed that with FF.

• willmore

Compatability with what, one might ask. Web sites designed to work with older versions of IE? They’ve got noone to blame but themselves.

• Beomagi

Takes me seconds to install and update firefox or chrome.

Why can’t I find an IE10 setup?

Why no XP? Lost of corporate environments still run it. Heck, even Vista is ie blocked. No IE9 either? so while i can run the latest chrome or firefox, I’m stuck with a max i.e. version of 8. Oh joy.

IE10 for Windows 7 isn’t out yet, that’s why so much focuses on IE9.

• Kaleid

A pre-release is available.

True, but running a platform preview on a production system is just asking for trouble.

• shaurz

Which is silly really. IE should just work on any version of Windows, but Microsoft use it as a wedge to force OS upgrades.

• l33t-g4m3r

Exactly. You can still install Opera on win98 while MS dropped IE support for Vista. I wonder why I’m not using IE, nor have any plans to do so in the future. The phony OS support game doesn’t help them at all, and FYI didn’t exist until the end of XP and Gates stepped down.

Also, IE doesn’t do extensions like FF, so that’s a nogo.

• sweatshopking

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_Explorer_extensions[/url<]

• xeridea

Sweet so there are 10 of them. They said “like” FF, IE extensions are far more basic than other browsers, and mostly totally useless.

To be fair, nobody else wants to support Vista, either.

• superjawes

I support Vista. I can’t count how many times I’ve let it cry on my shoulder while sobbing about how it just wanted to be loved…

• Firestarter

As long as I still have to support IE7 or IE8, I don’t care about the newest IE.

• xeridea

+10

At least I don’t have to support IE6 anymore, that was deplorable.

• GFC

I am that guy. I dont care. Ie left such a bad taste in my mouth that it’s gonna take decades to clear that up.

• Master Kenobi

I suppose you never worked on the corporate end of IT, where IE was the best game in town and Firefox even at its peak was every admins worst nightmare. Luckily in the corporate space cooler heads prevailed and we stuck with IE even with all of its faults.

• nerdrage

[quote<]Firefox even at its peak was every admins worst nightmare.[/quote<] How so? I'm genuinely curious...

• Norphy

IE can be controlled and locked down to the Nth degree. Any option that’s an option can be set centrally and secured and there’s nothing your users can do about it. In contrast, Firefox can’t be and in a controlled environment this is undesirable at best and downright dangerous at worst. (Yes, I know there are unofficial ADM templates for it but I’ve found these have been erratic at best)

We’ve recently (in the last few days) deployed Chrome to our network because Google have provided official templates to lock it down to the same degree.

• RhysAndrews

Firefox is a real pain in Mac OS X, too, for the same reasons. So I know your feel.

• albundy

Agreed! IE is so bad and a malware magnet, that it keeps IT peeps employed!

• xeridea

“all of its faults”
        There are about nine hundred trillion faults that IE has. That’s a lot of baggage to be carrying around touting it like its awesomesauce.

I guess because the lazy IT people don’t care to upgrade anything… ever, because they don’t see it worth their time. This at the expense of thousands of web developers who waste billions of hours hacking CSS to get their site to load in IE.

• Omniman

The problem I’ve had with IE is going to anti IE fanatic sites that program the pages to not load in IE. Generally get the popup saying something along the lines of “change your browser!” I’ve been using Chrome ever since.

• ludi

Anyone who is that petty does not deserve to have their webpage viewed.

• willmore

Why, it’s the oposite of what many web sites did back in the IE6 days. I can’t even count the number of times I got some kind of snarky “this site only supports IE, go download it and come back.”

• Firestarter

There are several techniques that Firefox, Chrome and your tablet/mobile phone can pull off without a hitch which are still, after several years, not used at all on important sites just because old versions of IE suck at the internet. There are workarounds and alternatives and so forth, but in the end it comes down to either doing fancy stuff, or make sure that everyone can actually view your website. And because bills have to be paid and views pay bills, we omit the former to enable the latter.

• xeridea

Obviously you have never created a website. IE is terrible. Tons of rendering glitches. There are many CSS2 and CSS3 features I would love to use, but can’t because IE doesn’t support them. IE9 is better, but still doesn’t support a lot of CSS3. Even without that, I still have to spend countless hours trying to fix stuff in IE. Even IE9. Things like if you have any debug logging at all, all your JS won’t work.

The browser looks terrible. The layout make little sense. Plugin support is deplorable. They have to craft biased “tests” to make themselves look better. There is much progress, but they still have a lot of catching up to do. As always, IE 10, 9, 8 etc are only better than their predecessors, not any other browser.

Even if IE10 was perfect, it will still be another 8 years before I can do useful things with new standards because most are still on IE6, 7, and 8. A couple years ago my company stopped caring about IE6 because its just not worth dumbing down your site and spending hundreds of hours trying to get things to work.

Making the browser only compatible with the latest OS is a terrible move. It means the masses will be stuck on their old crap for another decade.

• kvndoom

Firefox dev team is doing their damnedest to alienate the same people who used to spread the word and helped it become popular. They need to stop making it more like Chrome and start making it more like Firefox.

I love it and I still use it, but it has begun to grate my nerves. Their market share is deservedly lost.

• l33t-g4m3r

Except you can turn off the chromified GUI. No excuse for not doing so when you don’t like it.

• kvndoom

It IS turned off.. I’m not just talking aesthetics.

• indeego

It hasn’t grated my nerves, I still love it. Little concerned with the drop of the 64-bit version, but not overall malice. (Waterfox started sucking majorly, I pulled back to 32-bit Firefox instead recently)

• Sahrin

haha, well played MS. Would’ve liked to have seen more creative trolling – IE SUCKS once is OK, but you need more of the “Internet EXPLODER” type.

• yogibbear

IE SUCKS!!

• Byte Storm

Go get more coffee, you seem to be out in the video.

• yogibbear

’twas the numero uno post, and I thought being ironic was hipster and all.

• Byte Storm

That’s what I figured, my reply was meant to be amusing, and not insulting.