New Catalysts fix bugs, improve Far Cry 3 performance

I don’t know if AMD was totally serious when it announced plans to slow down its driver release cycle earlier this year. The company has been churning out incremental updates to its Catalyst 12.11 beta release like there’s no tomorrow lately. Radeon users can now grab the Catalyst 12.11 beta 11 release along with a matching 12.11 CAP2 application profile update. All of the goodies of past releases are included, and AMD has added a handful of new bug fixes and Far Cry 3 performance enhancements.

According to AMD, Far Cry 3 performance can go up by as much as 25% if you crank up multisampled antialiasing and ambient occlusion settings at 2560×1600. Folks have to install the CAP2 update to reap those benefits, though. The following bugs have also been squashed:

• Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
  • Resolves an intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in a CrossFire Eyefinity setup.
  • Resolves image corruption found in certain DirectX 9.0c titles
  • Resolve missing fonts issue in XBMC
  • Resolves no video issue found in Media Player Classic Home Cinema when using full or half floating point processing

Download links for the new Catalysts and the CAP2 profile update can be found here on AMD’s knowledge base site.

• sunner

My Post#6 got ‘downrated’ 15x. I’m an AMD supporter, not a troll trying to kick AMD, a company I admire. My post was meant to be a good humored joke. But all it proved was: “a Comedian, I ain’t”.

• Fluffmeister

Far Cry 3 performance test using these and the 310.70’s

[url<]http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/[/url<]

• Bensam123

Hmmm so AMD went from releasing a driver monthly, to releasing it every couple months, and replaced monthly releases with a beta cycle?

I actually sorta like this as it gives you a faster turn around for people that are after key features, while still maintaining a stable driver for everyone else.

• Firestarter

[quote<]Resolve missing fonts issue in XBMC[/quote<] yay! edit: I can confirm that it indeed resolves the issue.

• lilbuddhaman

I’m actually excited for this, I’m averaging ~45fps at max settings 1920×1200 on my 6870×2, and *maybe* this will effect my cards in a positive way and *maybe* I add some MSAA or just plain have a smoother experience (it gets jerky sometimes).

Game is really easy but it is fun and the story is interesting enough.

• lilbuddhaman

Update:
      60fps w/ MSAA 2x where I was getting ~45fps before without msaa. I still get dips and stutter though (my frametimes are probably horrible)

1920×1200
      All settings on High/Very High/Ultra (whatever the max is)
      MSAAx2
      V-sync 1 frame
      max pre-render 2 frames
      HBAO (HDAO = huge fps loss)

6870×2 , i7 @3.5ghz 8gb ram, installed on a mechanical HD (i dunno how the content loading is in this game, maybe installed on my SSD would improve framerate, it does tend to happen when moving fast from one place to another)

Hope others have tried it out.

• sunner

AMD’s list of new “bugfixes” is missing the most important one….
    “AMD won’t be going belly-up.”

• willmore

Is it just me or are the troll just not trying as hard as they used to?

• yogibbear

As long as that stops more of them coming…

• MadManOriginal

Lazy troll is lazy.

• Arclight

nVidia being envious
    [url<]http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-310.70-driver.html[/url<] [quote="www.nvidia.com"<]This GeForce driver is recommended for the best experience in the blockbuster holiday games. GeForce 310.70 drivers add optimizations for Far Cry 3, providing up to 38% faster performance. These drivers also include the previously released optimizations for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed III, providing up to 26% faster performance in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and up to 18% faster performance in Assassin’s Creed III, as well as smooth, shimmer-free graphics with TXAA antialiasing in both games. [...][/quote<]

• cjava2

Uh, no. Quite the opposite.

nVidia’s first beta drivers that offered 38% performance boost for Far Cry 3 were actually released back on November 28, 2012:

[url<]http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/53349[/url<] AMD's beta drivers were released December 3, 2012.

• Arclight

I was just pointing that they released a driver in the same day…..wasn’t really that focused on improvements, i just quote a small tid bit from the release notes to attract attention for interested readers.

• just brew it!

[quote<]I don't know if AMD was totally serious when it announced plans to slow down its driver release cycle[/quote<] Given that it is now December, I would say that they definitely [i<]have[/i<] slowed down, in the sense that the official 12.11 release is now officially late. 😉

• LostCat

They are still betas, and there are (were?) serious issues in their Win8 drivers.

Considering that, they can release all the drivers they want.

• just brew it!

Yes, they are still betas… for a driver that was originally intended to be released in November. At this point they should just rename it to 12.12 beta and move on.

• Narishma

How do these performance improvements in updated drivers work? Do they have profiles for each specific game or do they just improve their general Direct3D or OpenGL implementation, and thus the improvements apply to any game or application that uses them?

• BobbinThreadbare

I think it’s a little of both.