AMD: We’re not abandoning socketed CPUs

If you were reading the news last month, you might have noticed those slightly worrying rumors about Intel ditching socketed CPUs in 2014. Intel hasn’t sought to confirm or deny the speculation. AMD, however, has now chimed in, saying its plans are quite different.

Here’s the statement we received this afternoon from AMD’s Chris Hook:

AMD has a long history of supporting the DIY and enthusiast desktop market with socketed CPUs & APUs that are compatible with a wide range of motherboard products from our partners. That will continue through 2013 and 2014 with the "Kaveri" APU and FX CPU lines. We have no plans at this time to move to BGA only packaging and look forward to continuing to support this critical segment of the market.
As the company that introduced new types of BGA packages in ultrathin platforms several years ago, and today offers BGA-packaged processors for everything from ultrathin notebooks to all-in-one desktops, to embedded applications and tablets, we certainly understand Intel’s enthusiasm for the approach. But for the desktop market, and the enthusiasts with whom AMD has built its brand, we understand what matters to them and how we can continue to bring better value and a better experience.

That’s reassuring, to some degree, to know at least one of the two major CPU vendors isn’t abandoning us.

Of course, given AMD’s recent struggles, it’s hard to predict what the company’s product offerings will look like in 2014—and whether enthusiasts can really expect compelling desktop solutions. There have been whispers about AMD possibly putting itself up for sale (though AMD itself denies these allegations), and just last week, AMD took out the corporate equivalent of a home equity loan to free up cash. The chipmaker has also said it intends to deliver ARM-based processors alongside x86 chips for servers in 2014.

• WaltC

Just as I thought: Intel isn’t [url=http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_says_company_committed_sockets2012<]abandoning sockets[/url<], either...;) I often don't know what's more amazing...the people who originate these ridiculous rumors, or the people who always believe everything they see written on the Internet...;) These days, even if an article says, "This is just a rumor," there are people who ignore that part of the equation.

• rrr

That’s why I like AMD. Intel already castrated overclocking on most of its CPUs, now they’re gonna castrate configurability? Screw them. I can sacrifice a bit of benchmark scores in order to not support a company which doesn’t give a crap about its customers.

• ronch

This is good news, but the nagging question on everyone’s mind must be… how long will AMD be around?

Which this news article somewhat addresses:

[url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-mubadala,19550.html[/url<] They'll probably change their name to Arabian Micro Devices sooner than they'll abandon socketed CPUs.

• HisDivineOrder

Haha. I hope AMD isn’t going anywhere, but I have my doubts about their viability going past next year and I can’t help thinking statements like this prove they are desperate. In the past, AMD wouldn’t have needed to respond to this kind of thing, but if their fortunes are so uncertain they think people need to hear them affirming this, then they must be REALLY desperate.

Otherwise, wouldn’t we all assume that short of an announcement by AMD that they’d keep on doing what they’re doing? No one’s ever accused AMD of always doing what Intel does. After all, Bulldozer didn’t do what Intel’s doing now. It did what Intel did a decade ago. That’s not really the same thing, is it?

That said, I don’t think I care what they say they’ll do right now because
    1) I’m not sure they’ll be here in 2014
    2) if they are still here, their plans change so rapidly I don’t expect them to toss out a head’s up before they cut ‘n run
    3) even if they are still here and still keep releasing CPU’s, I don’t expect them to be anywhere close to the performance of Intel even if they go SOC-only because they keep delaying everything across the board (ie., discrete GPU updates, Steamroller updates to CPU’s, Brazos updates).

I’m just not sure they’ll matter by 2014.

• Sahrin

Not socketed CPU’s, just competitive ones.

• jjj

ofc they would be more than happy to cease the opportunity,hope they’ll have some decent products,otherwise it doesn’t matter.

• zzz

With Intel obliterating AMD in terms of performance and seeing AMD simply as ‘that company that saves us from monopolistic law and ARM being our new competitor’ this makes total sense: continue making a killing on pre-built computers, continue dominating (financially) the server market and leave AMD to the enthusiast computer market while they try to take over the hand-held/cell-phone market. I don’t like it but you can’t say you can’t see how that would make total sense in terms of maximizing profitability.

• tfp

[quote<]That's reassuring, to some degree, to know at least one of the two major CPU vendors isn't abandoning us.[/quote<] Yes I wouldn't call what is happened to AMD "abandoning" more like slowly dieing.

• Srsly_Bro

lol. It’s dying, you thilly goothe,

• tfp

I have heard they are planning on changes colors.

I think that would be dyeing.

• Srsly_Bro

[url<]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dieing[/url<]

• Bensam123

And there is AMDs take on it for the people saying how AMD is going to go the same way simply because they have brazos operating on the ultra low end.

As I said in the thread quoted. If this comes to pass and you appreciate having the ability to control what goes into your system, the price you pay for those components, I highly suggest switching to AMD.

• chuckula

I highly suggest getting Haswell in a socket. If you love sockets so much, wait for AMD to catch up to Haswell in 2015 or so and see if Intel *really* has “abandoned” sockets or has just pulled an AMD and slowed down its release schedule for desktop processors… in which case you’ll be buying a socketed Sky Lake in 2015.

• brute

dont forget to socket before you rocket!

• Bensam123

Wow dude, I don’t even…

• chuckula

… know how to make a rational response? Here’s a bet: Intel will have desktop systems for sale in 2015 that use sockets and that have better power efficiency and performance than their AMD competitors. Are you man enough to bet a case of beer on that? I am, and I also know I’ll win. Despite your dishonest and annoyingly copy-&-pasted shilling, you also know I’m right, which is why you either won’t take the bet or will welch out later on some technicality like “only AMD uses *real* sockets” or some other BS.

The easiest way to shut up a fanboy is with facts, which seem to be something you’ve never been able to include in your posts.

• Bensam123

It was more rational then your original response, that was the point and why it was funny. XD

PS real men don’t mark down posts simply because they don’t like the person writing them. *flexes*

• shaq_mobile

I actually really appreciate brute. He has some amazing posts. 🙂

• Tristan

Not only AMD does not leave socekts, but they stay with water cooling, huge coolers and heatsinks.
    Thanks AMD !!!

• jonjonjon

not sure why amd would even say this. the best thing that could happen to amd is intel abandoning the DIY market. the only thing this could accomplish is to make intel think twice about it. either way i dont think intel is going to make desktop cpu’s BGA.

• tfp

No the best thing that could happen to AMD is that they have a compelling chip that they can sell enough of to make a good profit for multiple quarter or even multi years in a row.

• Dygear

Intel is not thinking twice about anything AMD is doing, quite frankly they can’t even see them in the rear view mirror anymore.

• Grape Flavor

Yeah, that Intel rumor is kind of concerning, but then again Intel changes up the sockets so much these days that a new CPU and new mobo are already going together anyway.

It’ll be interesting to see how this works out with the OEMs. I guess Intel will just stop shipping CPUs directly to retail, and the CPU will just be a feature of the (now more expensive) motherboard.

• TurtlePerson2

Exactly. On the one hand I was upset about the change giving me less choice, but I’ve only ever done a same motherboard CPU upgrade once. My concern is that I won’t be able to buy an inexpensive motherboard paired with a high-end CPU or vice-versa.

• Grape Flavor

You’re right. Oh well, it’s not really convenient or advantageous for the consumer to have the CPU tied to the mobo, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world, either.

• Farting Bob

Thats my worry if it happens. For a motherboard, i will be quite happy with the cheapest board available of whatever chipset i desire.

If CPU’s only come on boards, expect to have no choice but to pay for one of the over the top overclocking boards with hundreds of features you will never need or want if you want a CPU that is even slightly above mid range.

Really i cant see any benefit from stapling desktop CPU’s onto boards at all, but quite a few downsides, most of which will mean i end up paying more money.

• mganai

The advantage will be at the provider end. Depending on their approach, they will be able to consolidate their product lines.

• Sargent Duck

True that. I just bought a core i5 3470 (quad core 3.2Ghz) and slapped it on the cheapest Z77 motherboard I could find (find either MSI/Gigabyte/Asus). The MSI-Z77 G41 lacks some of the fancier features of the more expensive boards and I could care less.

• Srsly_Bro

Ahh, I see you could care less, could you also perhaps not care less?

• Deanjo

I tend to buy higher end motherboards and a lower end CPU. Connectivity is a huge concern for me and later on if I need a more capable processor I purchase it later after the prices have dropped.

• MadManOriginal

[quote<]On the one hand I was upset about the change giving me less choice[/quote<] You read it on the internet, therefore it's true? This rumor has been debunked as a misinterpretation of a slide in an article that was speculation in the first place. At least wait until it happens before being 'disappointed by the change.'

• Alexko

At least it sounds like Kaveri is still in the pipeline and scheduled for 2013. That’s good to know.

• eofpi

Clearly, the way forward is ARM sockets.

*ducks*

• Grape Flavor

I have two arm sockets but they’re already filled. That seems like a bizarre place to put your CPU anyway.

• NeelyCam

Stealing derFunky’s joke? …[i<]without proper credit!![/i<] Shame!

• Grape Flavor

lol, actually I had made it up on my own, but I guess I wasn’t the first to think of it.

or maybe I subliminally acquired it without realizing.

• brute

not u . dude.

the thread maker stole joke

• MadManOriginal

derFunkenGoogle didn’t patent it…his loss, Grape Apple’s gain.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabcM9SOF-E[/url<] (because you liked the last AD reference I posted)

Thanks for watching out for me, Neely!

• Srsly_Bro

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER!

• albundy

careful, i got triple digit downvotes for my assumption last month.

• pragma

Well…. It’s years now HT was introduced, how long can we put off NUMA?
      Another thing to keep in mind is near threshold voltage computing.

Imagine: CPU’s and memory soldered together on a module. Server modules 0.5/0.7 Ghz, ECC and dual sided. Enthusiast modules 0.7/1.0 Ghz, single sided. TDP 15W maybe. Intel could make just a few different chips, to be combined in myriad ways. Perhaps no L3 cache needed since cpu and memory are very tight and clocks low. So, your gaming rig might be 4 modules each 16core/1Ghz+Turrrbo/8 GB. A modest little server might be 16 modules, each 2*16core/HT @0.5Ghz, 32GB ECC, totaling 512C/1024T and 512GB memory.

• brute

i guess AMD is just going to have the CPU generated heat melt the pins to make an improvised BGA style socket

interestly!

• Meadows

hey i like yours the posts how do you grammar

• tviceman

you capitalized i

• Meadows

That’s terrible. Fixed it now.

• grantmeaname

interestly!

• maxxcool

/facepalm/

• brute

hello friend

• chuckula

YOU’RE WINNER!

• NeelyCam

Your doing it wrong. Its either “your winner” or “you’re win”. You cant mix and mach

• chuckula

No… go read Wikipedia about Big Rigs, which was the source of this quote: [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing[/url<] here's the pretty picture: [url<]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/YOU%27RE_WINNER_trophy.jpg[/url<] You take all the fun out of it when you are pedantically wrong.

I actually had no trouble parsing what he was saying. It might take a little fixin’ up, and realizing that this is a terrible, worthless joke, but here goes:

I guess AMD is just going to have the CPU-generated heat melt the pins to make an improvised BGA-style socket.

Meaning the CPU will create the heat that melts the pin (worryingly so, because if it does that over and over eventually we lose connections) to permanently mount it to the board. It’s not like this guy is Krogoth.

• Squeazle

You changed nothing. I am sad now.

• Meadows

I’m aware. I read his other comments too, and chose to reply to this particular one because it seemed interestly.

Indeed, that last word is neat to say the least.

• anubis44

<<I actually had no trouble parsing what he was saying.>>

Where’s ThomasxStewart when you need him, eh?

• hoboGeek

Ah! Parsing…. There’s a job for a computer geek!
          And, most importantly, a parsing guru can always get a job as Yoda’s translator.
          Or should I say … importly?

• Arclight

Get a brain morans

That picture never ceases to be funny, other than the logo on the guy’s shirt.

[url<]http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg[/url<]

• xeridea

It’s Intel that has hot CPUs, with them using pocket lint for internal heat transfer material for Ivy Bridge.

• internetsandman

Our CPU’s are even cooler and more power efficient? Good, we can stop using solder for the heatsink cap, more money for us! Oh wait, that goes against the goal of lower heat outputs? Bah humbug

• anubis44

Pocket lint. LOL.

Could there be a worse transfer medium? Oh yes, that’s right. They could have simply left an air gap in there!

Bad Intel for shafting us enthusiasts.

• albundy

is that coming from someone that has never used an AMD cpu? figured as much.

• ronch

Interestly?

[url<]http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=interestly&go=Look+up[/url<]

• chuckula

Meanwhile, while Socket AM3+ is not officially “cancelled,” don’t expect any upgrades for it until mid-2014: [url<]http://www.worldhostingdays.com/downloads/2012-local/amd-eiserloh-kaiser.pdf[/url<] [EDIT: or a new socket for that matter] LMAO: I've got it! The new deciding factor that trumps all factors like "performance" and "energy efficiency" is now: Is it in a socket? In this corner: Haswell! According to the rumors, Intel will come in the night and kill you and your entire family if you buy one of their socketed Haswells in 2013 and dare to use it in 2014! In the other Corner: Trinity/Piledriver! They come in sockets too and you won't be doing any miraculous upgrades on either one until 2014 either! So in conclusion: Intel will be introducing a new desktop platform that uses the magical socket in 2013, while AMD will at best have retreads of what you can buy now. Therefore, it is only theoretically possible to buy an upgradeable system with AMD... CHECK!

• MadManOriginal

Hey Beavis, check it out…this guy’s name is ‘Anil’…uuhuhuh

• jdaven

Or AMD never had any plans to announce such a bone-head move and is capitalizing on this information from the rumor mill. It’s call a marketing department.

• MadManOriginal

I didn’t think AMD had one any more.

• Flying Fox

If they actually survive that long.

• Wirko

[quote<]the two guys left in AMD's marketing department read the threads and have put forth their spin in the hopes of getting street cred.[/quote<] This is what happens when marketers outnumber engineers by a large factor.

• anubis44

<<In other words… the two guys left in AMD’s marketing department read the threads and have put forth their spin in the hopes of getting street cred.>>

As opposed to the vast army of marketing people at Intel who came up with the idea to officially announce at great expense that they’re giving enthusiasts and small to medium-sized system builders the finger?

I’d rather hear an official AMD spokesperson respond personally on enthusiast websites like techreport, that they intend to retain an important platform feature like sockets, than to have them put out an expensively-created ad in mainstream media (which I tend not to watch anyhow). This way, they reach the right people in a more direct and personal way, without uneccessary costs.

Seems smart to me.

• chuckula

[quote<]As opposed to the vast army of marketing people at Intel who came up with the idea to officially announce at great expense that they're giving enthusiasts and small to medium-sized system builders the finger? [/quote<] Really they did? Please link to that official announcement then since I'd love to read it. Oh wait it doesn't exist? You mean the entire "Intel is abandoning sockets" hype machine is based on a poor translation of a Japanese article from a rumor site that doesn't actually say that Intel is abandoning the socket? Well that's not as much fun now is it!

• Sargent Duck

This announcement would make me excited if:

a) their chips were competitive with Intel’s
    or
    b) I knew they would be around in 2014.

• brute

you dont need to add qualifiers

it aint excitin. no big deal.

• Squeazle

This post was one of many in our effort to fight the drunk-commenting habits sweeping the nation.

Thank you Brute for helping others become more aware.
        Love your kids.
        Don’t drink and comment.

• Srsly_Bro

can i comment while i drink is that okay to do?

• paulWTAMU