Futuremark shows new 3DMark eye candy, delays release

On the heels of last week’s dazzling Fire Strike trailer, Futuremark has released a few screenshots of another test from the next version of 3DMark. Entitled Cloud Gate, this test is designed to run on older DirectX 10 hardware. Cloud Gate trades the fire and brimstone of Fire Strike for some scattered clouds with a chance of giant floating spaceships.

Here’s Futuremark’s official spiel:

Cloud Gate is a new test that is designed for Windows notebooks and typical home PCs. Cloud Gate includes two graphics tests and a physics test. Cloud Gate uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 10 making it suitable for testing DirectX 10 compatible hardware. Cloud Gate will initially be available only in the Windows editions of 3DMark.

You can view more screenshots in the gallery below.

Futuremark has used the occasion to provide a status report, as well. The firm revealed that it was "deep into final testing" last week, but it now says the new 3DMark won’t make it out this year. "As final testing continues and we gather feedback from our Benchmark Development Program partners, it is now looking certain that we will not be able to release 3DMark in 2012," the company explains. Futuremark adds that the Windows version of the benchmark is now set for a January 2013 launch, while the Android, iOS, and Windows RT releases will follow "soon after, pending further testing and app store approvals."

• ClickClick5

Hum…I think the map is called Slingshot on their own game Shattered Horizon. The second to last photo mimics that VERY well.

• lilbuddhaman

Reminds me of the warp gate / worm hole from the original Dune movie.

• ltcommander.data

Cloud Gate is Windows only right now, but since this only uses DX10 hopefully when OpenGL ES 3.0 drivers are finally released and more OES3.0 devices start showing up, they’ll port this over to iOS and Android. With OpenGL ES 3.0 just being released an eye candy demo would certainly be timely. More useful than a new DX10 benchmark this late in that GPU generation’s lifecycle.

• oldDummy

Seems awful heavy on tessellation.

needs more cowbell.

• ltcommander.data

Since Cloud Gate is a dedicated test for DX10 GPUs, it presumably can’t be using tessellation. Fire Strike is their DX11 test.

• oldDummy

my bad, I equate foggy/cloudy with tessellation for some unknown reason.

• torquer

3DMark makes a cool tech demo to show friends and family that may know nothing about hardware or PC games. A lot of their demo scenes are overall just a good demo of some advanced GPU functiones these days.

For me, the benchmarking aspect is really only useful as a troubleshooting tool. If I think I’m running abnormally slow, I can compare my scores to others to see if I’m way off base.

However the days of e-peening over 3dmark scores are long behind me.

PS – Intel won’t be taken seriously for graphics until they employ some shady benchmark optimizations :p

• flip-mode

Those are some awful dang bright/overexposed looking images.

• Ratchet

This 3DMark thing is still around?

• Meadows

Gorgeous. The FIRST thing they show us has to be some phallic construct in the middle of some glowy fog.

• NeelyCam

Well done… Although I was looking at that “0 comments” thingy for hours

• dmjifn

Coulda woulda shoulda!

• NeelyCam

Yeah. The truth is, I didn’t come up with anything clever with ‘first’ embedded in it, so I gave up.
          Meadows was clever, and deserves the points