Fresh BioShock Infinite trailer shows new gameplay

If BioShock Infinite were coming out this month, it would be on my Christmas wish list for sure. It isn’t, though. The game isn’t actually due out until March 26. However, Irrational Games isn’t leaving us BioShock fans out in the cold. The studio has released a fresh gameplay trailer for Spike TV’s 2012 Video Game Awards, and the spot has popped up on YouTube:

Short and sweet. I like it.

For some reason, the combat in the latter half of the video reminds me of American McGee’s Alice. I guess there’s something about the weird, ethereal vibe of Columbia, the floating city in the clouds, not to mention strange foes, colorful explosions, and the sheer violence of it all. Of course, Irrational isn’t exactly known for cookie-cutter art direction and level design.

More to the point, the combat in BioShock Infinite looks both varied and fun—key criteria all too many modern titles seem to forgo. Now that I’m done with Dishonored, another mold-breaking shooter can’t come soon enough. (Thanks to Shacknews for the tip.)

• kamikaziechameleon

I thought it looked amazing. But apparently it was just me.

• Game_boy

I read the comments hoping to see what people thought of the gameplay compared to Bioshock. 7/8 are about appearance. Nice to know your priorities guys.

• lilbuddhaman

Now I’m certainly not innocent of starting an “appearance” tirade, but I’ll tell you this:
      You can never, ever, ever, trust a trailer (especially of a sequel) when it comes to gameplay. Does the rail+hook mechanic look cool? Yes. Do I know from looking at the trailer if it’s fun? Nope. Do I know if it’ll “feel” right or “fit in” to the gameplay while playing? Nope.

Hell even demos are misleading representations of gameplay. Far too many games are exciting at first, but quickly become monotonous, or your character becomes overpowered by early mid-game. (Far Cry 3 and Skyrim for example)

If I pick this up, it will be for the story elements interwoven into the gameplay, hopefully done well; and hopefully an end-game that builds upon the early parts into real challenges. It seems Bioshock 2 was missing both of these elements, where Bioshock 1 (mostly) succeeded at both.

I am sad that Elizabeth’s bodice and corset have been replaced with a boring blouse, but I guess the art style is [i<]American Civil War[/i<] and not the French Revolution. Probably for the better. I can concentrate on blowing things up instead of being distracted by eCurves and iJigglies.

• Meadows

The voice acting is very good, but the body animations are off. A little too straight, controlled, and Disneyesque. If their intention was to revisit Snow White in Wonderland, that’s fine by me, but in every other case that’s wrong.

Edit: watch the girl from 0:45 if you want to see what I mean.

• Bensam123

Yeah, I think that has to do with the model being hastly replaced and the changes aren’t smoothed out. Check out some of the prior Bioshock footage.

• Bensam123

…what happened to the main character? She was replaced by a alice in wonderland make up doll? WTF?

• phez

I liked her other hairstyle much more.

• sweatshopking

YOU GUYS ARE PERVS

• tbone8ty

take off your blouse Elizabeth

• sweatshopking

Looks super loud and I’m not sure I want to listen to such a cacophony. Combat looks like the other games combat. Idk, I liked the first one, couldn’t get into the second at all, I’ll have to see on this one…

• vaultboy101

I’m coming to Canada this xmas ssk! Any plans for you and the wife? 🙂

• sweatshopking

why you coming to in canada?! it’s a big place! i have no plans! let me know if you’ll be near nova scotia!

• vaultboy101

Well i’m coming over from UK (where I live for now) to see my relatives for Xmas and New Years so that should be good. However I am going to Toronto and then onto Ottawa and Montreal so it is going to be pretty busy.

I know that Nova Scotia (New Scotland) is a far way away from Ontario but would like to visit one day.

PS Also I am emigrating to Canada next year so will be making arrangements etc. Hopefully I will be able to come to the TR BBQ next year in Michigan and say hello in person to you and the TR guys!

• sweatshopking

i would love to get down there! we’ll have to see! me and my wife are both students, so it’ll be tight, but stranger things have happened!

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ll agree with this. The first was decent, but I don’t have much interest in the sequels. I somewhat got caught up in the sshock “spiritual successor” propaganda, which turned out to be complete nonsense, and dead space pulled that off instead.

Speaking of, is DS3 not being released on steam? EA is starting to piss me off with this origin garbage, although it probably is too early to call.

• sweatshopking

:hugs:

• brute

dude bro EA quit putting stuff on steam like a long time ago homie

remember?

• l33t-g4m3r

No. I haven’t been remotely interested in any of their games for a long time, aside from DS3.

At worst I’ll buy physical and find a way around origin, but I’d rather purchase through steam.

• kvndoom

I see Liz got boob reduction surgery at some point during filming of Bioshock Infinite. Must explain the delays. I wonder how many scenes they had to re-shoot because of that.

• nico1982

Yeah, that’s a shame 🙁

• lilbuddhaman

/v/ was pretty upset about this. They blame feminists trying to push censorship in the name of “equality”. Let me know when the main character gets replaced by an overweight balding slob.

• l33t-g4m3r

Ironic since feminists have those slut walks and think birth control is a human right. Whatevs. I don’t think feminists know what they want, only that if enough of them complain loud enough they get away with anything. Maybe that’s the real point.

It’s a spill coffee sue happy culture that we live in.
        [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw[/url<] IMO, those people need to check out Postal 2 before considering harassing a game dev over a character model, but perhaps the change was an independent choice, in which case is perfectly fine. Brilliant idea: I'm offended by political correctness, so let's start a group that sues politically correct groups for being offensive. Win/Win. Nvm, It already exists, time to join Westboro.

• superjawes

Let’s save the feminism lecture for later…(probably belongs in R&P anyway).

On one hand, I do think that the developer deserves to make their own decisions, but on the other, video games overall have an issue with how women are portrayed. MANY female characters are overly sexualized even though the industry overall wants to include more female gamers. This creates a conflict because women are less likely to enjoy a game where their only female counterparts are tailored to appeal to 13-year-old heterosexual boys.

If we had more “normal” and realistic female characters, the occaisional Lara Croft figure wouldn’t bother anyone.

• lilbuddhaman

But videogames aren’t all reality. VG’s are fantasy. Devs shouldn’t be forced to censor themselves, or present characters realistically, if they choose not. Nor should they be forced to portray their worlds in “normal” or “realistic” ways if they choose not.
            —-

And then there’s that whole “make them games you want to see, feminists” argument; which is EASILY done, despite claims that the industry shuts out women. And to further push that point across:

This woman who asked for money to buy games to make videos discussing them:
            [url<]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games?ref=live[/url<] And an independent game developer with a main character a female: [url<]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game?ref=card[/url<] Both with successful kickstarter campaigns. Which one do you think is helping the industry? which one do you think is pushing "positive" female presence in the industry? (p.s. Anita is behind her schedule and bans users who ask her about her delivering on the product promised) Apologies for turning this into way too much of an R+P debate. I'll stop now. (edit2: ok i lied about stopping, I'm getting all worked up on the subject) edit: I thought the maker of SeaLark was a woman, but his/her full name is Joshua Cross, and no mention of gender. I had assumed he/she was a female due to the nickname "clairvoire", but I'm honestly not 100% sure.

• superjawes

I understand that (all) VG’s are fantasy, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t an image problem and a conflict associated with that. There are a lot of people (myself included) who wish that we could shift the typical representation to something more “normal,” and leave the more sexualized stuff for when it suits the game. My issue isn’t that stuff like that exists, but rather it seems to be the standard right now.

And a developer CAN make whatever they want, but consumers can also criticize such choices as loudly as the like (that’s what freedom of speech is).

But let’s focus on your edit before we close this. We make all of these assumptions and try to put everything gender into one of two boxes, when everything is more complicated than that. This goes to the core of my argument because there just seems to be the “female video game character box” that most female characters end up in, which really limits what you can do with characters.

• lilbuddhaman

The argument fails, in my opinion, because males are represented in exactly the same way. If you’re going to argue for de-sexualization / de-stereotyping of one gender, then argue for both. The 5’10” rugged male with short hair, a slightly coarse but appealing voice and 6 pack abs is rampant in videogames. Do you see that issue getting pressed as a sexist one?

(this next part is tongue in cheek) And if I were to make a utopia in the sky, I’d prefer to bring not only brightest minds, but also the most beautiful bodies.

• grantmeaname

You know the average height for men is 5’10”, right?

• lilbuddhaman

cherry pick more. I’m 5’4″.

edit: and you can’t possibly tell me that women are presented in a sexist manner height wise.

• Geistbar

[quote<]This woman who asked for money to buy games to make videos discussing them: [url<]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games?ref=live[/url<][/quote<] You mean the same woman [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Sarkeesian#Kickstarter_campaign_and_subsequent_harassment<]that received[/url<] an insane quantity of sexual harassment after launching her Kickstarter? If your argument is that "the industry"* is inclusive, you picked a really poor example with her. Sure, it has a happy ending -- the controversy likely increased the amount she was able to raise -- but she had to receive a horrifying quantity of harassment first. * Why are you using Kickstarter successes as an example of industry support? Kickstarter is closer to the opposite of that -- it's support from consumers.

• lilbuddhaman

If you take the time (that the vermin of the internet have ), you’ll find that she
            Has not met her goals, yet has had time to travel the globe doing PR appearances. Deletes ALL commentary on her facebook, twitter, youtube, kickstarter that does not fit her agenda. This includes meaningful discussion and questioning of her views. While there were insults and sexist remarks, there were also a large amount of legitimate concerns. That agenda of hers being an extremely skewed one.

Using kickstarter as an example that making and funding games isn’t some exclusive club that women are locked out of. If women gamers want to be buying X product, then either MAKE X product using the resources available, or support ones that already do exist.

In my opinion, Anita could care less about feminist issues and is trying to create brand name for herself, not to actually fight for any cause. But we’ll have to see how it all ends up in the coming months with her.

Going back to the whole Bioshock breast reduction thing, that is a still a conspiracy theory. It could have simply been an artistic decision. BUT I will also remind everyone that nearly the entire dev team has left the project, and in that time frame Elizabeth has changed significantly. What changes to the game aren’t as noticeable that we’ll be shocked with at release???

• Geistbar

[quote<]If you take the time (that the vermin of the internet have ), you'll find that she Has not met her goals, yet has had time to travel the globe doing PR appearances.[/quote<] Her actions [i<]afterwards[/i<] are not at all relevant as an excuse or counter to the sexual harassment she received [i<]beforehand[/i<]. If that is correct than she deserves criticism for it. Truthfully, I don't care if it is or is not because it isn't at all relevant to the current discussion; the people that funded her can worry about it. We aren't discussing her competence or commitment here. Your argument was to include her as an example of the "industry" not doing anything to lock women out. How many women, after seeing a woman receive "threats of death and rape, racist abuse, and an extended attempt to have the campaign suspended" after starting her KS are going to say "I want to through the same thing to start a project I care about too!" ? The story of her KS is a perfect example of how women are still not treated equally to men in the world of video games.

• lilbuddhaman

Edit: (didn’t respond to another point)

I didn’t use her as an example of the industry not stopping her, but rather as an example of the “wrong” support. The actual game dev, making a female in a positive, non-stereotypical role, is able to get funding and make a game, in the so called male-controlled industry. Whereas she (with zero knowledge of the industry btw), wants to make a video to complain about the situation. The point was that there is no barricade but the people themselves making it that way. “Actions speak louder than words”, “be the change”, etc etc. These little catchphrases stick because if you bother to follow them, they tend to work.

The story of the her KS is a perfect example of how women are not treated equally in the world in general; because they keep throwing their support (and publicity) behind the wrong people / wrong ideas.

Extremists makes extremists statements (Anita).
            Crazy people come out of woodwork (Threats of murder / rape)
            Extremist shouts from the rooftops “Look, see I told you” (p.s. they were expecting this response)
            Huge media response is made. Support/Money pours in.
            With the light on them, the flaws of the extremist’s arguments start coming out.***
            Extremist starts by censoring these people and tries to lump them in with the crazy people.***
            People slowly realize the extremist is no different than the crazy people.
            Extremist fades to obscurity after being exposed as fraud / crazy / hypocrite.

*** – Where Anita is at currently in this cycle

And what actual progress towards equality is made?
            Well either nothing (the negative backlash ends up cancelling whatever positive points of the message)
            or someone with some actual power/control buys into the BS and we end up with yet another degree of censorship in our lives.

edit 2: I urge you to go ahead and watch one of her videos. Please. You might see why I consider her views “extremist”.

[i<]And remember folks, this is my opinion. I could be wrong.[/i<]

• Geistbar

[quote<]The point was that there is no barricade but the people themselves making it that way.[/quote<] And my point was that you can't really say that "threats of death and rape, racist abuse, and an extended attempt to have the campaign suspended" is not a barricade. That is the treatment that she got, and it doesn't matter in the slightest if she is or is not an extremist. At the absolute worst possible amount of extremism (which I'm not going to hunt down: if you think she is then you can prove it with examples) then others have stooped down to an equally low level. At the more probable levels of "extremism", then she has still gotten horrifying levels of sexual harassment; all for anyone interested to see, which will make other folks wary of doing similar projects. [quote<]The actual game dev, making a female in a positive, non-stereotypical role, is able to get funding and make a game, in the so called male-controlled industry.[/quote<] You must have missed the part earlier where I pointed out that KS is not "the industry" -- it's support from consumers. You can't use it as an example of publishers being any less (or any more) male-centric. It's apples and oranges. You seem to be using your personal distaste for her / feminists to justify the harassment she received as somehow acceptable. It was not, and never will be. You justify it by painting her as an extremist, yet provide no proof, and I certainly can't see any hints of extremism on the KS page itself.

• lilbuddhaman

example/proof: in her video about the “top 5 worst christmas songs” she claims that “Baby, It’s cold outside” is “the christmas date-rape song”.

Please, watch one of her videos. Just one. ANY one. Go ahead.

edit:
            As far as the whole Kickstarter thing and “the industry”. I guess that I mispoke in the initial post using it for “examples”. What I meant to say/use it for, was to show that there are avenues to get INTO the industry, and that whatever barriers that are supposedly there, aren’t actually barriers. I meant to highlight it as one of the many methods of getting support to break into the industry… and that there are “good” ways of using this tool (to actual promote a game) and “bad” ways (promote extremist ideals).

I am extremely poor at putting my actual thoughts/feelings into words, and even after reading over my own posts several times, I fail to see how easily they can be misunderstood until I get responses. not to mention I absolutely fail at keeping things concise. I ramble on and on constantly. /shrug

• LukeCWM

How often are male characters also anatomically correct? Consider the physiques of most male characters in video games: rippling with more muscles than pro body builders. Should developers also shift to more accurate males in their games, making characters the stereotypical balding fat guys or skinny twelve year old kids in need of a haircut?

I think developers have captured the desired image with most males, in that the player wants to have the physique of the character he is playing. But this is more difficult for females, since most are wired to be less sensitive to image or looks.

• superjawes

Male characters tend to have the flexibility, however. Link, Leon Kennedy, and any of the Left 4 Dead male protagonists come to mind. None of those characters are strictly confined to an image, and they all have some pretty unique differences.

And I am inclined to give that stereotype of pro body builders a bit of a pass since they seem to appear most often in modern shooters, so the body type fits. It’s more often that a female character doesn’t NEED to have 36DDs but gets them because that’s just how things are done.

Even worse are games like Tera, where high-level armor for female characters covered less skin than wearing NO armor.

Still, developers need to have the freedom to do what works, meaning that they CAN and SHOULD make stereotypical “balding fat guys or skinny twelve year old kids in need of a haircut” if it makes sense for the character. Female characters should be no different. I just don’t like how female characters tend to default to a very limited set of body types and personalities (and usefulness).

• Geistbar

Most of the male characters in exceptional physical shape are in situations where that would be rather beneficial. Most games in question have some aspect of violence being central to them. Being very strong is going to be useful in a battlefield; having big breasts or wearing a chainmail bikini will not be useful in a battlefield. The unrealistic aspect that they give male characters is functional; for female characters it is not.

• MadManOriginal

Sure it would be useful – if they’re fighting males, the males will just pause and gawk, then the female blows their head off… 😉

• Meadows

Birth control is a human right.

• l33t-g4m3r

No it’s not, and never has been since the beginning of time. This is clearly another attempt at implementing an utopian communist society where morals and the family doesn’t exist, and the state raises your children. It’s a destructive and immoral philosophy that originates from Plato.
            [url<]http://suite101.com/article/platos-ideal-state--plato-and-the-aristocratic-government-a278155[/url<] If you want birth control, pay for it. It shouldn't be the state's job to cover for your irresponsibility. Don't need any more weed heads using their access card to pay for cigarettes and gasoline, which of course will at some point reach critical mass and implode society, resulting in a great purge. Have fun with that if you're a dependent, or are an enabler. This behavior will not end well down the road.

• Meadows

You’re the communist. You want to decide what morals others should live by. An unborn and underdeveloped baby, however much of a lifeform it is, should be disposable at the mother’s discretion while it’s still not a liability.

Your idea of forcing long-term decisions on people when they have technical exits is turbo-conservative and overly male chauvinist.

I don’t recommend screeching it on and on.

Edit: in [s<][i<]China[/i<][/s<] some countries they should extend it to living children, selected by net worth.

• l33t-g4m3r

Wow. Hardcore. Kill em all, they’re not human. Up to age 3 too.

• Meadows

Also, condoms are birth control, pills are birth control and celibate is birth control. You’re saying nobody has a right to any of those. Good luck.

• lilbuddhaman

now you’re stretching the definition. Celibacy is “birth control” by a loose definition, but in the terms he was speaking (and which you are intelligent enough to know he was speaking), it isn’t inclusive.

I won’t go into my opinions on *that* matter any further than that.

• l33t-g4m3r

Lies. I’m saying buy it with your own money. Condoms are cheap enough. Stealing money from the people through force of government to fund immorality is wrong, and is not and never has been a natural human right. It is a socialistic privilege, that can easily be revoked to keep the party in line. ALL of the UN’S rights are revokable privileges. Not that it’ll ever reach the point that you ever have access to all of those privileges, since society will implode long before that.

You have to have people working to keep society running, and make it profitable, otherwise nobody will stick around to stock shelves to support the useless eaters.

There’s enough studies out there saying it pays more to live off welfare than to work a minimum wage job, so who’s going to do the work when the majority decides to give up working? It really is quite amusing that anybody believes this system is sustainable, when it is rapidly imploding as we speak, and gun sales are freaking out liberals to the extreme. Quite hilarious watching the cockroaches scurry about when the lights turn on. Obama better do some real cuts if he wants to keep the gravy train rolling. Hell, they’re even infighting with the legalization of MJ. It’s not going to work. Obamacare is going to be the final push off the cliff where low/fixed incomers are forced to pay for a service they can’t afford or don’t want. Government assisted charity care with tight regulations on cost would have been a better model, but I don’t think a working system ever was the goal.

W/E. If the SHTF, I’m joining the Amish. The rest of you can have fun in the fema camps.

• sweatshopking

you’re right that there are significant problems with the economics/morals/etc. of society, but you lose people when you say things like [quote<] Quite hilarious watching the cockroaches scurry about when the lights turn on [/quote<] We all agree there are serious changes needed, let's try to discuss them in an environment of love and unity, leaving our ego's out of it (hopefully in the R&P section so scott doesn't 🙁 ) . i think we'll have better outcomes. not that meadows is any better.

• l33t-g4m3r

Well, I do find it somewhat amusing, and the metaphor fits, especially with their morality. They’re philosophically parasites, like the hyenas in the Lion King movie, or the grasshoppers in Ants, while their leaders are like Bane from Batman. Regardless, I quite agree with the spirit of cooperative reform. Dunno if that is possible with corrupt politicians, but I definitely agree with the idea of trying it. I doubt the right can pull the country out of socialism, but cooperative reforms should prevent a complete collapse.

The problem with giving gov all this power is that the power is not safe with bad politicians. Both Bush and Obama have been horrible politicians, and we’d all be better off if they had less power to affect the country. But I suppose that’s the end result of any power mad despot who ignores natural law, and it’s the public’s fault for allowing it. It will take a massive overhaul to turn this ship around, but it can be done.

Just be prepared for the entitlement reform protestors. There’s a literal army of them.

• sweatshopking

i’m not wading into this, but i just wanted to ask which charter/country/law has this included? i’m not familiar of any.

• Geistbar

A Google search for “birth control human right” turns up [url=http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/191475/un-declares-birth-control-a-universal-human-right/<]this[/url<] and [url=http://www.policymic.com/articles/19272/un-declares-birth-control-a-human-right-and-america-falls-short<]this[/url<] showing that the UN has declared it to be a human right, fairly recently as well it seems. One of them also mentions a 1994 conference where 179 nations said, more or less, the exact same thing.

• sweatshopking

That conference declared ACCESS to it a human right, meaning it shouldn’t be blocked, and women shouldn’t be prevented from getting it. idk if that’s the same thing. maybe it is?

• Geistbar

I think it would be. Access would just be a distinction to ensure that there isn’t any expectation to force birth control on people — it’s there for people who want it, and only them. Ultimately, the only way to guarantee someone has access to it is to subsidize (partially or wholly) for at least some people, as you’ll have to deal with the very poor who cannot afford the full price; if it isn’t subsidized for those people, then they do not have access to it, as they have no ability to acquire it (you can follow this line of thought easily to see why poll taxes were ruled unconstitutional in the US — charging people for prerequisites to vote denies access to voting for those that cannot afford those costs).

• sweatshopking

yeah, i think it’s still kinda grayish. likely on purpose.

• Geistbar

To be honest, I’m not seeing the grayness at all. What is the distinction between “access to x” as a right and “x” as a right, when x is acquired through specific physical objects?

I dunno, I just don’t see it.

• shaq_mobile

guys, dont feed the trolls

• brute

let me know when the main character’s bulge from from the boobs in the shirt to a huge dong in the pants

• RhysAndrews

All I know is that I gain a lot more respect for a game and its developers when the characters bodies are realistic. I’m sick of big bouncy boobs in video games. LIke somebody said, if they were occasional I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Screw the “fantasy” argument. It detracts from the quality of the game, and it’s a bad idea.

• superjawes

[quote<]I'm sick of big bouncy boobs in video games.[/quote<] You know we have a problem when someone says THIS...

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<] [u<] IF [/u<] It detracts from the quality of the game, [u<] then [/u<] it's a bad idea.[/quote<] Fixed that for you.

• Bensam123

Name a bouncy boob style game besides Tomb Raider and anything from the erotic genre?

There is actually artificial normalization in video games and even on TV compared to real life. Everyone sits firmly in the B category. I’ve seen a lot more A’s in video games then Cs or Ds too. This being one of them.

If you go outside, at least where I live, the majority of women aren’t completely flat chested (A’s). That’s actually more of a outlier then women with Cs or Ds. This reminds me of cartoons pre-90s where the females had no discernible female characteristics besides different hair styles and voices.

Women go through puberty too.

• Geistbar

I don’t know what you mean by “style”, but assuming you just mean games with them in it: [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JigglePhysics<]here is a moderately large list[/url<]. There's some rather well received & seriously taken games in there, such as Okami, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Resident Evil 4/5, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Metal Gear Solid 3/4, Final Fantasy 10, Dragon Quest 8, Dragon Age 2, World of Warcraft, Soul Calibur, and Dead Or Alive. You can't exactly say it's rare in games.

• Bensam123

Where the point of the game is just to show off breasts. Besides some beach volleyball games that’s not the highlight of most games, except those catering to fan service or the adult genre.

Heh I read the WoW example in that link and it’s most definitely stretching it…

“World of Warcraft features jiggle physics. Most female playable-characters in the game have some form of jiggle, but Female Tauren and Trolls have it particuarly blatant – their idle animation has them stand there breathing while their huge boobs bounce up and down like they’re busy on a trampoline.

The female night elves are even more blatant. Their most common idle animation is to hop up and down on their toes several times. Bwoingyboingy!”

None of that is present. If you look at the taurens their breasts go up and down [i<]because they're breathing[/i<]. All characters in wow, male or female, have breathing animations. And yes, because females have breasts in wow, they actually move when they breath because their chest moves. It should also be pointed out that taurens have all of maybe C cups for their huge size, maybe smaller then that because they're so massive. Even more ridiculous is the Night Elves that are pointed out with their all of A cups jiggling... Their whole torso moves when the do the the flipper jump and their breasts don't magically bounce all around like this list is implying. A lot of the examples look as though they include them as long as they move with the character, such as the wow example. They're quite stretching it. Soul Calbur example: "The ninja Taki, whose breast movements, while they don't bounce too much, appear to be timed one full second behind the rest of her body." Spore makes that list too... because physics are used on everything... It's definitely rare. There are all of maybe 30 games on that list (including WoW). I didn't count, but the amount of games that have been released has to be closing in on a couple thousand over the last 20 or so years. 30 out of 1000 is 3%. That is being really conservative... Wiki answers lists 5 million and a thread on digitpress takes a stab at 50,000.

• Geistbar

The nice thing about using a large list of examples is that even if someone wishes to dispute one or two, there’s still several valid examples in there. You’re also rather disingenuously cherry picking with SC — if you bothered reading past the first example, you’d see:
            [quote<]Of course this was all thrown out in Soul Calibur 3, in which all female character with the exception of the underaged Talim have been given larger breasts and costumes that allow these to bounce around in a ridiculous manner, such as when you SELECT them in the character selection bit. Astaroth's chest jiggle is still intact. If you leave the shop while one of the storekeepers is gesturing, their boobs jiggle up at a ridiculous height, and then go back to normal.[/quote<] You asked if I could name a game outside of the erotic genre. I named several, partially so as to avoid the pointless bickering over whether I can provide at least one valid case. You can't just look at this as a percent of games released -- volume matters too. If game #1 sells 10,000,000 copies, and games #2 through #1,000 each sold 1 copy, then anything in game #1 is excessively common and anything that happens to be in every one of the other games is rare. A lot of the examples I used were for games with some rather high sales. You also can't go as far back as 1992 -- most games weren't 3D then, which would have made this technologically impossible to include. It isn't rare -- it might not be the plurality either, but it some unheard of thing that people don't encounter.

• Bensam123

Or you add a bunch of games to a list that wouldn’t normally make it to make a very small and niche list (especially when a few of the games mentioned are simply part of the same series) wouldn’t otherwise be anything noteworthy.

What does copies sold have to do with how many developers have actually implemented this sort of thing? More copies sold doesn’t increase the number of games that have ‘jiggle physics’.

For that matter jiggle physics in a lot of these examples amount to animations and not actual physics. Meaning if you move left and right the breasts don’t reflect actual physics (the WoW example being one). If there isnt a animation they’re simply part of the model as well, which has nothing to do with physics.

My original post wasn’t about jiggle physics though, it was about having ridiculously large breasts that aren’t normal as to create fan service. Artificially small breasts aren’t normal either.

• lilbuddhaman

And the men in those games have 100% realistic proportions that are in no way heightened to increase their sexual attractiveness.

And…..Googling several of these games shows women with varying sizes of chests, from small to large. I mean some of those in your list there are REALLY stretching. (WoW? really!?)