New Last Light trailer comes with free copy of Metro: 2033

As part of a promotional push for Metro: Last Light, THQ is giving away copies of the game’s predecessor. All you have to do is like this page on Facebook, and you’ll be able to download a free copy of Metro: 2033. The game scored 81 on Metacritic with an 8.1 user rating, so it’s definitely worth grabbing.

THQ is hoping that playing the old game will pique your interest in the sequel, which is due out in March. To whet your appetite for that title, there’s a new gameplay trailer dubbed Genesis. Have a look:

I’ve only played a little of Metro: 2033, and Last Light looks very similar. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. The graphics are gorgeous, even if they don’t stray too far from the classic Quake color palette. There’s a hint of emotion in the trailer, as well, and I get a bit of an Aliens vibe from the frantic action sequence. Plus, no dubstep!

The Metro: 2033 freebie offer expires December 16, so you have a few days to sign up. Last Light can be pre-ordered for $50 if you like what you see.

• jessterman21

Free game, yeah! Anyone have some config tweaks to make it run better on Very High? I’ve already disabled DX11 DOF, but that didn’t raise my framerate much… Also not seeing much of a performance difference between AAA and 4xMSAA, so I’ve got it set to the latter + MLAA forced through the driver – looks amazing, but drops below 30 when I’m outside.

• Bensam123

Da, leave it to the Russians to redefine game trailers.

Giving away the last game as a precursor to your next game is pretty ingenious. Too bad most developers are retarded in that respect (or publishers).

• PenGun

No facebook, not never. I have the game so it makes little difference but it is a stupid to require a facebook membership for a free copy. I wonder if they make any money from that scam?

• BobbinThreadbare

Why does it bother you so much? Just make a fake account with a spam email address.

Also, this is obviously a way to reach people and get “viral” marketing done.

• PenGun

Only the facebook wienies. I think it’s probable facebook encourages things like this to suck in … suckers. I would not be surprised if they make some $s because of that.

• Waco

It’s marketing. You get a free game, they get a great targeted audience.

I’m okay with that trade.

• PenGun

Not me.

• Duck

After I got the code and added it to Steam, I unliked it.

I am an evil genius ¬.¬

• Prestige Worldwide

They still have collected the info from your account.

I redeemed my code with a fake account I have for work. I have many because my studio makes Facebook games among other things 🙂

• sweatshopking

they’ll get your deets anyway.

yes i’m sure nobody else thought of this. lol

• Duck

🙁

• way2strong

Thief.

• Arclight

Go like them RIGHT NOW.

• BestJinjo

Here is a 12-minute Metro Last Light gameplay trailer:

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPbuN5tgVk&feature=g-hist[/url<]

• Arclight

[quote=”Geoff Gasior”<]The Metro: 2033 freebie offer expires December 16[/quote<] By that you mean the game will stop working on that date or that people can redeem their free serial keys only until that date? BTW, thanks for the heads up, dl now.

• Prestige Worldwide

I got Metro 2033 for free from [url=https://techreport.com/news/19593/metro-2033-and-msi-big-bang-winners-claim-your-prizes<]Tech Report and MSI[/url<] a couple of years ago. Metro is a great game and I have recommended it to many friends and always tell people when it's on sale on Steam. I thought it was a little clunky and choppy on my old GPU, but I've been replaying it on a GTX 670 and it feels a good deal smoother and more enjoyable. Metro has a fantastic atmosphere and I can't wait to play the sequel.

• RickyTick

Wasn’t Metro 2033 one of those games that was supposed to REALLY stress hardware?

• sweatshopking

• RickyTick

thought so…thanks

• cynan

On “Very High” settings, Metro 2033 is pretty much second to none at bringing graphics cards to their knees, despite being a 2-year+ old game. [url=http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1886/10/<]Just look[/url<] at the puny GTX 680 and HD 7970 struggle to produce 30+ FPS at 1080p Edit: Doh, meant to reply to second post..

• kvndoom

This is a smart move on THQ’s part, and more companies should do the same. Give away the original to pimp the sequel.

I also got 2033 with the Humble Bundle. It’s next on my list once I play through Jade Empire a couple times… or maybe sooner if I can’t get past the stupid “stuck guards” bug and give up on JE altogether.

• cjyoda78

This is also available in the THQ Humble bundle [url<]http://www.humblebundle.com[/url<] where you pay what you want (i think min is $1) i personally always go above average to pick up the extra titles.Its not quite free but it comes with steam codes and a bunch more games.

Yeah, that’s how I got it the day that bundle came out. I haven’t gotten to Metro yet, been playing Company of Heroes, but eventually I’ll get to it.

• willyolio

holy crap, check your email. they just added 2 more games to the bundle, and if you paid over average you get them too.

Yeah I got the emails about them, got the Steam keys, and added them to my library. 😀

edit: since the start, they added Titan Quest, a Red Faction DLC, and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War GOTY edition. Pretty slick for a few bucks.

• Helmore

You can also add this game to your Steam account if you want to.

When you ‘Like’ their page they send you to a page that shows you a game code. You can also copy this code into Steam and have a free copy of Metro 2033 added to your Steam account. Just go to the Games menu in Steam and then ‘Activate a Product on Steam….’, where it’ll ask you to enter a code. Very nice if you prefer your games to come through Steam.

• danny e.

Firstly, just let me say that I own Metro 2033. I liked it better when it was called Stalker.

• Srsly_Bro

r u srs?

• TurtlePerson2

They’re really not similar at all, except for them both being developed by Ukranian people. This is like saying Call of Duty = Deus Ex, they’re not even really the same genre.

• willyolio

plebian. i owned it before you, when it was called DOOM.

• danny e.