New Acer Chromebook costs $299, has longer battery life

Last month, Acer released a Chromebook with a shockingly low price tag—$199—and surprisingly decent specs—a 17W Sandy Bridge CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 320GB of mechanical storage. There was just one catch: the battery life, which Acer pegs at 3.5 hours.

Well, Acer has now added a new model. Priced at $299, the C710-2605 looks largely similar to its low-stamina sibling, but it has a beefier battery with a six-hour rating. Acer has also doubled the RAM to 4GB and increased the hard-drive capacity to 500GB. However, the system retains its cheaper counterpart’s 11.6" 1366×768 display and 1.1GHz Celeron 847 processor.

If you ask me, that sounds like a pretty solid deal for $299. I wasn’t very impressed with Google’s Chrome OS on the $249 Samsung Chromebook, but that system has an ARM processor and won’t accommodate a Windows installation. The C710-2605, on the other hand, should be able to run Windows 8 x64 (or Ubuntu) without complaint—barring some bizarre firmware-level restrictions, of course, but the $199 Chromebook C7 doesn’t seem to have any of those.

• willmore

It’s smaller, but other than that, how is this better than the Fujitsu LH531 which has a Pentium B940 (2 SB cores at 2.0GHz), 14″ 1366×768 display and 4-5 hours of battery life. I purchased this earlier this year for $299. I see similar (and slightly better) laptops at this price point consistantly.

Considering very few people see ChromeOS as a feature, I fail to see the interest in devices like this Chromebook.

What am I missing?

• link626

Netbooks 2.0

and you know how Netbooks 1.0 turned out

• sammied54413
    • sweatshopking

I DON’T KNOW IF YOU GUYS KNOW THIS, BUT I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT A CAPS LOCK KEY.

• brute

LOL

CAPS LOCK KEY

HOW FUNNY THAT A KEY LOCKS U TO CAPS INSTEAD OF UNLOCK

• MadManOriginal

I think you’d manage to get by – crazy glue + shift key = CAPS LOCK. And it would be PERMANENT! I THINK YOU;D ACTUALLY LIKE THAT BETTER!

• Squeazle

WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT BRACKETS[?]

• JosiahBradley

I’ve been caps-lock free for almost 2 years. Feels good man. I have 3 ctrl keys now.

• Squeazle

WHY NOT ANOTHER 10? I DON’T USE THE NUMBERS AT THE TOP OF THE KEYBOARD ANYWAYS.

• Squeazle

…I thought all caps was the natural setting and I just had a defective keyboard where I had to turn mine on.

• LoneWolf15

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME, DUDE.

• bbq_

No need to panic. ChromeOS will return your CAPS LOCK key this way:
      Settings > Device > Keyboard Settings ; In the Search drop-down menu, select Caps Lock

THEN YOU CAN GO ROCK THE WEB AT FULL VOLUME!!!

• ludi

Whoa — this is almost a perfect reincarnation of the Timeline 1810TZ at half the price. Now scare up an old XP license and then do the $40 Win8 upgrade, [i<]et voilĂ [/i<]...

• gmskking

$100 more for this is a ripoff.

• Deanjo

……and still not available in Canada……

The $199 Chromebook does seem to have some of those “bizarre firmware-level restrictions”

[url<]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acers-199-c7-chromebook/[/url<] [quote<]Finally, even if you could find a BIOS file compatible with flashrom, the C7's BIOS appears to be hardware-locked, which is standard for Chromebooks. The original Cr-48 Chromebook prototype had BIOS protection that could be bypassed by applying some electrical tape to the motherboard, but the C7 doesn't have any such quick fix that I could find. It's probable that more enterprising minds will be able to figure out how to convert the C7 into a cheap run-anything laptop, but in the hours I spent trying to unlock the laptop I was unable to do so easily. If you'd like to run Windows apps on the C7, the most feasible solution is probably going to be a virtualization program like VirtualBox, which installs and runs without issue on the C7 once Ubuntu is up and running.[/quote<] So no Windows.

• sweatshopking

THEN NO PURCHASE.

• Deanjo

[quote<]So no Windows.[/quote<] They should list that as a feature benefit.

• sweatshopking

YEAH, CAUSE YOU HAVE MS STOCK.

• Dygear

[quote<]barring some bizarre firmware-level restrictions[/quote<] Luckly, all Chromebooks come with a unlocked developer mode and a Cr-48 runs Windows 7 fairly well, so this should run it decently too.

• chuckula

I played with the $199 model that was on display at the local Worst-Buy. The performance seemed fine (it was sitting right next to the Samsung Chromebook). However there was one major issue: The trackpad on the Acer was complete crap to the point of being effectively unusable (the mouse pointer jumped all around the screen in a semi-random manner). I don’t know if that is Acer being Acer or if it was due to the display model being abused by people though.

• shaq_mobile

heh, id put my money on a combination of the two. people do seem to abuse demo models pretty intense. plus its a $200 machine. it probably won’t survive the typical, cro magnon, “testing” people who shop in worst-buy attempt. THIS NOT LOAD FACEBOOK, OOG SMASH. WHERE STEVE JOBS NEXT PRODUCT? OOG HEARD THAT ONE JUST WORK.

• MadManOriginal

Nice to see the ‘netbook’ class of computer evolving, even if it is Acer :p

2GB RAM, 320GB->500GB HDD upgrade (still 5400 RPM), and a bigger battery for $100. Without the battery upgrade it would be a ripoff but I can see the value for non-DIYers. I’d still get the base model, buy some RAM, an SSD, and the larger battery separately…keep the HDD for an external drive and maybe the battery for a backup if I really needed >6 hour battery life.