Deal of the week: Graphics cards, SSDs, cases, and more

Been putting off your Christmas shopping until the last minute? You’re in for a treat, then, because both Newegg and Amazon have some particularly good deals on offer today.

Let’s start with Amazon, which lets you nab OCZ’s 128GB Agility 4 solid-state drive for just $89.99 after a $10 mail-in rebate. Shipping is free, too. The Agility 4 has 6Gbps Serial ATA connectivity and top sequential speeds of 420MB/s and 300MB/s for reads and writes, respectively, so it’s a pretty solid drive—especially for that price.

Also on Amazon, you can get Corsair’s excellent Obsidian Series 650D for just $139.99 shipped. This case is a staple of our System Guides, and we like it a lot. You can read our review here.

Newegg, meanwhile, lets you nab a retail-boxed Windows 8 Professional upgrade for just $29.99 after a $40 mail-in rebate. That’s cheaper than the $39.99 Microsoft charges for its download-only upgrade. Here, you actually get a DVD in the box—handy, should you ever find yourself needing to reinstall Windows without an Internet connection.

Last, but certainly not least, Newegg offers MSI’s Radeon HD 7850 2GB Twin Frozr graphics card for $174.99 after a $20 mail-in rebate and a $5 promo code. (All the details are on the product page.) Shipping is free here, as well. Considering 1GB versions of the 7850 typically sell for around $170, that’s quite a deal.

Folks north of the border can’t partake in these deals, but they’ve got NCIX’s Last Minute Christmas Savings sale. There, they can snag Western Digital’s Caviar Green 2TB hard drive for $89.99 CAD, Kingston’s SSDNow V+200 120GB solid-state drive for $94.99 CAD, and Asus’ GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU graphics card for $199.99 CAD after a $20 mail-in rebate, among many other items.

• mcnabney

For the Win8 upgrade deal – how much more will it cost to get me the full functionality I have with my Win7 premium installation which is a HTPC using Windows Media Center for tuning and DVR functionality? It is my understanding that I have to buy back WMC and MPEG support after upgrading.

Or vice-versa, what does Win8 offer that I’m not already doing with Win7? I don’t need remote support and I always ‘sleep’ my PC, so booting in 20 seconds is a worthless benefit because I only reboot when MS updates are installed. I am also concerned that Win8 might have troubles integrating with a WHS 1.0 backup service.

• JustAnEngineer

The Windows Media Center Pack for Windows 8 is free until the end of January.
      [url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs[/url<]

• mcnabney

Thanks!

• Price0331

I miss when TR didn’t include rebates in determining deal prices…..

• nanoflower

Agreed. I always take rebates out of consideration when looking at prices. That way if you don’t get the rebate money then you can still feel like you paid a reasonable price.

• Bensam123

Newegg has the p280 on sale for $80. It’s quite a sexy beast for that price tag.

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179[/url<]

• spigzone

Here’s THE killer deal … a 250gb Samsung 840 SSD for $149.00.

[url<]http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/latest/index-landing.aspx?cm_sp=emailsub-_-homepage-_-promo[/url<]

• Flying Fox

$149 was the Black Friday price. So it is as low as this will go for this year probably. A quick reminder that this is the “BW” drive, not the “KW” drive which comes with a 2.5″->3.5″ mounting kit for desktop install. So you should get a bracket if your case does not support 2.5″ drives.

• indeego

Or be ghetto and just plop the drive anywhere in a system. It’s a SSD, can take more shock than you can ever likely kill it with.

• yogibbear

And if you are worried: DUCT TAPE!

• JustAnEngineer

Velcro tape is more elegant.

• BIF

Velcro from the Vulcans!

• travbrad

Will it blend?

• Bensam123

Agh the 840

• chuckula

Agreed.. and they are so sneaky with the naming convention between the 840 & 840 Pro that you need to read the fine print every time (or if the price doesn’t look insane, just assume it is the 840).

• RickyTick

The link to the Corsair 650D shows a price of $166.49.

• superjawes

Amazon did that same price jumpy BS earlier this week with the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Rays.

• Bensam123

Yup, came to the comments to post this.

• RickyTick

Well, it’s down to $155.99 now. 🙁

• nanoflower

Amazon changes their prices all the time. One thing I’ve noticed is they are keeping a close eye on prices at Newegg. When Newegg has a sale Amazon will match their price. The difference is that Newegg labels it as a sale price while Amazon doesn’t label it as such. As soon as the Newegg price goes back up so does the Amazon price. I saw this a lot during the Thanksgiving week and the week after.

• MadManOriginal

That’s why I use camelcamelcamel.com … you can also check Newegg prices there.

• sweatshopking

in canada, i use shopbot.ca it’s pretty solid. use it and memoryexpress’ price beat for great deals.

• jonjonjon

pcpartpicker.com is also a great site.

• Shambles

[quote<]Folks north of the border can't partake in these deals, but they've got NCIX's Last Minute Christmas Savings sale. There, they can snag Western Digital's Caviar Green 2TB hard drive for $89.99 CAD, [/quote<] Not that we have a time machine but the 3TB was easily available for $90 over Black Friday. I'd expect to see that price again over boxing day.

• superjawes

$30 (or $40) to go from Win 7 home premium to 8 Pro…

Worth it?

• MadManOriginal

Yes. I have been playing with Windows 8 on a secondary PC and am finishing up setting it up on my primary. I like it a lot, people made way too much of a fuss over the start menu/start screen. The clean Modern UI design is pleasing because it’s less visually busy than Aero (although I liked the glass part of Aero.) Under the hood changes are nice, and the start screen live tiles are great for a quick glance at updates to email, news, social networking all at a glance.

• sweatshopking

GET OUT

• superjawes

So you say the under the hood improvements are good?

The remote desktop hosting and possible other features is what I’m really looking at…

The dilemma, however, is that I am perfectly fine with 7. It works, I know it well, and we’ve had a good run. I just don’t want to jump into something with Windows 8 and spend my time missing 7…

• ludi

For the money, it’s hard to say no, especially when upgrading from any “Home” version directly to Pro. I’ve upgraded two 64-bit machines so far (HTPC, laptop) and apart from learning where things are placed in the MUI and charms bar layout, the desktop experience is pretty must the same.

• maxxcool

win8 pro 15$ ….. just buy it before the 1st. go here : [url<]http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/[/url<] and tell the site you bought a pc after june 16th.... you will get a discount code and then you enter that on the last purchase screen. 15$, not too shabby.. *note, the installer has three options : "install now", dont do that... 😛 upgrade = evil "usb install", what i did "burn iso", what you can do also the last two allow you to clean install... *Note, the "downloader" is pretty dumb, if you are on a 32bit system it downloads only the 32bit os, if you are on 64bit it only gets the 64 bit os, the lisence is good for both btw...

• MadManOriginal

That doesn’t work any more unless you actually bought a PC and have a Win 7 license key to enter.

• superjawes

My PC actually came with Vista, which I upgraded to 7 when those cheapie deals were going on.

EDIT: looked at the program, and I am 99% sure I am ineligible.

• MadManOriginal

So you bought a new PC with Vista between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013? I find that highly unlikely 😛

I am positive maxxcool is talking about a flaw (intentional or not) with the $25 MS upgrade coupon where for a few days after Win 8 release it didn’t require a Win 7 product key because all he says is “and tell the site you bought a pc after june 16th”. Now it does require a Win 7 product key. I imagine that if someone bought a Win 7 PC before then but just put a qualifying date in it would still work, but Win 7 [b<]upgrade[/b<] licenses won't work - I know because I tried. Maybe any old Win 7 OEM key works too, I'm not sure on that.

• Deanjo

[quote<]but Win 7 upgrade licenses won't work - I know because I tried.[/quote<] The one Win 8 license that I bought worked with a Win 7 upgrade license.

• MadManOriginal

I mean for the discount coupon which is the subject of this sub-thread.

• Deanjo

So do I. On the selection of brands I put Home built and it went through just fine with an Win 7 upgrade license.

• Zarf

Do it, but you may want to tweak it a little once it’s done installing.

I did two things to make it better: I installed Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) which is a start menu “replacer”. It doesn’t actually replace anything, as everything is still in memory, but the footprint is negligible. It’s the nicest one I’ve used so far, but it’s not perfect, and I haven’t used Start8 yet.

The next thing I did was force the Windows applications to be the default for everything, instead of the Metro apps. It irritated me that I’d look at a JPEG in a folder, and it’d open it with Metro, and only open that image. It wouldn’t let me go back and forth between other images in that folder, unless that folder was within my Pictures Library. The regular Windows picture viewer is still there and works as it did in Win7.

After I did those two little things, it’s the best OS I’ve ever used.

• pcgeek86

VERY much worth it. I’ve been running Windows 8 since it came out, and performance is incredible. The new hybrid UI (modern / traditional desktop) is pretty amazing.

• rrr

Not really, unless you always have to have the newest thing out there.

I don’t see a reason to pay for fixing sth that isn’t broken.

• brute

north of the border but south of sanity

invade canada 2013. take their maple syrup reserves as our own

• Tumbleweed

And their Canadian ‘bacon’! As a bonus, we can finally end Poutine in our lifetime. Won’t anybody think of the Canadian children?

• Shambles

We’ll burn the trees before we let you get them!

• brute

course youll be blazin before we get there

damn hippies

• sweatshopking

i wouldn’t care. the country is essentially american these days. you see we’re breaking the UN refugee convention? yay…

• Deanjo

Go ahead and try to get past our genetically enhanced border beaver guard.

• JustAnEngineer