Rage DLC coming later this week for $4.99

Maybe it was the short, somewhat bland single-player campaign, or perhaps it was the unremarkable multiplayer. Either way, Rage fell off the radar pretty quickly last year. id Software hasn’t abandoned the game, though. Publisher Bethesda says a downloadable expansion for Rage will be out later this week.

Entitled The Scorchers, the expansion will add some fresh content, a new high-difficulty setting, and an option to play past the end of the main campaign. Here’s Bethesda’s full spiel:

In this brand-new adventure spanning six all-new areas, you will fight alongside new allies to defend the Hager Settlment from a maniacal bandit clan known as The Scorchers. Along the way, you’ll participate in a new season of Mutant Bash TV, encounter new mini-games, and wield the overpowering and brutal Nailgun.
In addition to the new content, this DLC includes ‘Ultra-Nightmare’, a new high difficulty mode, as well as an ‘Extended Play’ option that allows you to play past the original ending of the game – giving you the opportunity to finish collecting items and achievements.

The Scorchers will be available for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It’ll set you back $4.99, or 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live.

I guess I’ll have to suffer through the 20GB+ download to reinstall Rage from Steam. I’m actually looking forward to it, though. For all its failings and bugs, Rage was fun to play, and Carmack’s megatexture technology made it look both unique and gorgeous. id Software definitely knows how to build a solid first-person shooter, even if the end result isn’t the most exciting thing in the world. (Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.)

• link626

…and no chits were given

• kamikaziechameleon

Rage’s engine still has serious popin and audio mixing issues even after all the patches and tweaks available. I won’t waste my time with the game that simply doesn’t want to run well or properly render its environments for me.

Rage was okay; Twenty boring autumn hours whiled away whilst I played the campaign and all the side quests. I will probably bite on the DLC if it’s only $5 – after all, I can’t buy a beer for that in this country.

I would give Rage a “meh” rating, with zero replay value and a serious lack of originality, but I don’t regret spending $16 or twenty hours of my life on it.

• l33t-g4m3r

I enjoyed rage, and will also pick this up since it gives you the option to play past the ending.

cfg tips:
      Don’t use Cuda, software mode looks better. Higher cache sizes now crash dead city. Don’t override the control panel’s maximum, same with anisotropy.
      rageconfig.cfg
      seta com_skipIntroVideo “1”
      seta r_useNewPrivateLighting “1”
      seta r_useHardwareTextures “1”
      seta r_useSMP “1”
      seta r_dimShadowForceHighQuality “1” //(0 DEFAULT)
      seta image_lodbias -1
      seta vt_lodBias -2
      seta vt_minlod -1
      seta vt_feedbackLodBias -1
      vt_qualityHDPLossless “1” //good quality/speed & saves memory.
      vt_vmtrcompression “HDP” //(DCT, HDP and none)
      mt_genCompression “HDP”
      vt_upsamplenoise 2 //default 8 is too high
      vt_upsamplesharpen 96
      vt_upsamplefilter 4 // 4 best quality/performance (turn on in panel)
      r_swapInterval “-1” //swap tear -1
      pm_togglesprint “1” //toggle sprint
      seta jobs_numthreads 4
      seta vt_maxPPF 64
      s_maxEmitterChannels “32”

Just like fixing quake2 with gl_round_down “0”, id games have always needed a bit of cfg tweaking. This is what I’m using after some trail and error. Works pretty good. Also, steam disables achievements with the console on. That’s pretty stupid considering source games are ok with it.

I ran it on a Radeon and filled up my achievements quote with just the in-game tweaks.

I picked it up about three months late though, so the worst issues and main graphics tweaks were already patched in I suspect. Looked nice enough, anyway!

• l33t-g4m3r

Yeah, the latest patch does fix things to a good enough status. The tweaks are basically icing decorations on the cake, and not a requirement. The texture smoothing option does seem to increase details as is, but I like to move it up one from default, and tweaking the texture compression settings helps with artifacting. Just depends on if you care about that extra 1% improvement.

• MadManOriginal

You don’t locally backup your Steam games before uninstalling them Cyril? I do for anything that’s over a few hundred megabytes, even if only to save on download time, and storage is cheap enough. If I had download caps I would do it for everything.

• Silus

After the PC and especially PS3 debacle over Skyrim’s DLC, I’m not going to touch a single game/DLC where Bethesda has its hands on. Their second rate treatment of part of their fanbase is unacceptable.

• CaptTomato

I don’t think they can make their large open world games work well on PS3 due to the way it shares memory.

The Skyrim stuff was paid exclusivity by Microsoft.

• jonjonjon

i liked rage. too bad this dlc didnt come out a year ago.

• shank15217

Wait, what difference does it make?

• Arclight

I think they missed a great opportunity on multiplayer for this game……..i would have loved a big open fps class based game with 3 factions battling for different resources/objectives……

The 3 factions could have been arch survivors vs mutants&bandits vs the faction that retained and developed technology over time. I didn’t buy the game due to the weak multi player but when the price drops low enough i will purchase it.

BTW did they ever release mod tools for the community? That could have helped…..

• CaptTomato

Cyril=Nvidia owner!!!
    Ultra nightmare sounds interesting, but will it run on AMD…..

• ClickClick5