Humble Bundle returns to indie roots

Just in time for last-minute Christmas shopping, the Humble Bundle folks have rolled another collection of of indie games. Like previous bundles, you can name your own price and decide how your dollars are distributed between the developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Penny Arcade’s Child’s Play charity, and the Humble Bundle organization. Here’s the promo video:

The standard bundle includes four games: Snapshot, The Binding of Issac, Closure, and Shank 2. Indie Game: The Movie is included along with the soundtracks for the aforementioned titles. If you spend more than the average—currently about $6—you’ll also get Dungeon Defenders, Legend of Grimrock, and their associated soundtracks. All the games are DRM-free and available for Windows, OS X, and Linux. Steam keys are included if you spend more than a buck, and really, who wouldn’t?

Of the bundled games, I’ve only played Shank 2, whose combination of over-the-top violence and beautifully stylized graphics is easily worth $6 on its own. I’ve also heard good things about Legend of Grimrock, The Binding of Issac, and Indie Game: The Movie. Even if you’re not interested in any of the games, this is a great way to kick in a few bucks for the Child’s Play charity. Gift codes are available if you’re shopping for someone else, too.

• l33t-g4m3r

Side note: GOG’s 75-80% off sale is over in thirty minutes.

• Forge

You neglected to mention the DLC for Dungeon Defenders and Binding of Isaac (BTW, not Issac).

From what I understand, the DD DLC is several packs at several bucks each by itself.

As ever with Humble Bundles, I’m in for one. DRM-free and multi-OS = massive selling point in my mind.

• Game_boy

Mac.
    Linux.
    DRM-free.
    Trivial minimum payment.

• jonjonjon

why waste your time developing your game for linux? if you think people on windows pirate games what do you think the freeloaders on linux will do? i know some linux tools will get mad but no one really cares.

• Forge

That’s hilarious. Did you even look at the sales/dollars-per-sale numbers on HumbleBundle’s site?

Linux folks PAY MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. Most bundles, the Linux folks pay more than OSX and Windows people combined.

Good or bad, games are thin on the ground in Linux, and we’re more grateful and more likely to pay well, by and large.

• MadManOriginal

More per user, but they are always the smallest portion of the sales, and with fewer people it’s much easier for one large donation to skew the average. So as trolly as jonjonjon was being, he does have a point about absolute dollar numbers.

• Zizy

Well, there are several things you need to consider, before making such claims (I still agree post you replied to was stupid):
        1.) Even if Linux users pay more on average (most bundles have 3:5:7 or so I think, this one seems skewed by Grimrock), total amount is still more than half Windows in every bundle I checked, right now it is about 75% or so. So, ideally, you would get about 25% more with a multiplatform than Linux only game.
        2.) Some people pay a lot. If you have linux.org.ru paying 444$, this skews the average and doesnt mean average users pay a lot compared to Windows and Mac people. Windows percentages also get skewed by things like that, but less, as there are more people buying bundles. To really claim Linux users (as in normal people buying the bundle) pay more, you would need more data. Ideally, graph of payments for each platform.
        1+2 together hint that you perhaps lose ca 10% of total revenue by making a Windows only game. Still something, true. But you might spend more making the game to run on everything. This brings me to the final point –
        3.) Development and distribution costs. Does increased revenue actually increase profit in the end? I cant compare XNA vs something else, as I only know the former. Did anyone here make a game in several of environments to compare?

I definitely agree with your last point, even tho I prefer Windows to any Linux I used (and still use). Honest competition is what we need, not winning cause you once came on top.

• Kharnellius

Video = :tup:

Might bite on this just for the Dungeon Defenders. Does that game have a survival mode and good singleplayer to it?

• khands

It’s much better as a coop game, and yes I’m pretty sure it does have survival modes.

• designerfx

from what I’ve read it’s fun but gets significantly grindy at high levels

• indeego

I did this once for some Indy bundle and one of the games was supposed to be released later. Never heard about the game again.

• sweatshopking

i’m not sure which one you’re talking about, but the humble bundle website does keep updating the versions of the games for downloading once you’ve logged in. you should check and see.

• LostCat

Probably the Frozenbyte one

• Washer

Has Splot been cancelled?

• jensend

No, Frozenbyte’s homepage is now saying Splot is “to be released on Windows, Mac, Linux and iOS in 2013.” It’s about a year and a half later than anticipated.

Yes, that’s a problem, but I think judging the entire indie bundle scene by one delayed game from one bundle of games is a little silly. Esp. since that was just the third bundle and they haven’t had any such problems since that one.

(Note that Cortex Command was also unfinished at the time it appeared in the second Bundle; while playable betas were available by the end of the bundle period, it didn’t hit 1.0 until this September, about 21 months after the bundle.)

• indeego

I paid based on the potential released game.

The potential was hype. I consider hype 6+ months out.

I won’t pay again.

Seem fair?

I don’t care. You lost me.

• designerfx

I’d be willing to bet that you never bought a bundle at all, or have no intentions to support indie devs.

• Forge

You’re going to let one bad experience put you off the idea forever? PM me your email and I’ll buy you HIB7, if you’ll give it another shot.

• Forge

Just went through my list and checked, I have almost every HIB to date. The only game yet to be released is Splot, and that particular mismanagement/error has been documented elsewhere in great detail. You must not have used a good email to register, I’ve gotten emails that mentioned Splot, and specifically HIB’s regrets that Splot has not shipped when expected.

• sweatshopking

i’ve got almost all of them too, but i’m going to sit this one out. i already have most of these games, and the ones i’m missing, aren’t my style.

• mortifiedPenguin

[quote<]Stream keys are included[/quote<] At work so I can't verify but should that be Steam keys (no 'r')?

• MadManOriginal

I’ll be honest…I buy these just for the soundtracks.

• Master Kenobi

Yea, I can’t say any of these games seem even remotely interesting. Maybe the THC bundle just spoiled it.

• demani

THC bundle? Or THQ bundle? Because the THC bundle is a COMPLETELY different kind of deal, and the “donation” to the “developers” is not so much such suggested as required.

• MadManOriginal

[quote<]Maybe the THC bundle just spoiled it.[/quote<] Yeah, that set the bar for Humble Bundles very high.

• sweatshopking

I’ll assume that as an old man, which you are, you’ve had the years to acquire better taste than the poor music in video games.

• MadManOriginal

Not all games have poor music, and I like a wide variety of music too. The ones that are generic-sounding ‘epic movie’ type soundtracks are boring just because they aren’t special, but not all games are like that.

But I’ve got to admit, I do miss listening to Orson Wells live.

• chuckula

[quote<]Legend of Grimlock[/quote<] Freudian slip for Legend Grim[b<]r[/b<]ock? I thought it would be a cross between Zelda & The Dinobots from the Transformers for a second there.

• Dissonance

Me Grimlock fail. Fixed.

• MadManOriginal

lol. Whenever I see that game name I think of Grimlock with a heavy stereotypical Asian accent.