HTC may be planning 7-, 12-inch WinRT tablets

Look like another phone maker has a Windows RT tablet up its sleeve. Earlier this week, we heard that Nokia has a 10" device planned for a late February launch. Now, Bloomberg reports that HTC, too, is on board—at least according to a "person familiar with the company’s plans."

Word is that HTC has not one, but two Windows RT devices in the pipeline: one with a 12" display and another with a 7" panel. The 7-inch device will reportedly let users make cellular calls, which could give it a leg up over similar-sized offerings from Google and Amazon. I don’t recall seeing a "Phone" app among the default Windows RT software—but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8 all share a common software foundation, and HTC could probably code up its own app.

Bloomberg says HTC’s Windows RT tablets will come out some time in 2013. The site also quotes "one person" who expects HTC to use Qualcomm processors. Interestingly, HTC is said to have scrapped plans for an Intel-powered Windows 8 tablet "because the company determined it would have to charge too much." The device would have cost around $1,000, Bloomberg says.

HTC Sense was my least-liked Android experience, worse even than Motorola Blur.

I’m not looking forward to seeing how they bastardise Windows8.

• MadManOriginal

From all the reviews, Sense 4.0 is much better.

Microsoft doesn’t allow [b<]any[/b<] changes to Windows RT or Windows Phone, let alone 'bastardization.' So it will be the same OS as every other Windows RT system.

• sweatshopking

it’s true. there are no changes. my wife’s (started out as mine, but now it’s hers) 8x has an easily removable htc app that has a big sense style clock. MS keeps the os on lockdown, and everyone (with the yet unexercised exception of nokia) has to have everything removable and be able to go stock.

• Arag0n

What did you get to compensate the 8x? I may be delaying my 920 plans now and I pushed the surface in front of phone renewal, just got it this Wednesday.

• sweatshopking

what do you mean compensate? i got nothing else. i got the 8x on bell, initially with the idea of using it myself, but then my wifes cell phone started restarting, and now she says she wants the 8x. I’d go for the 920 if it was me. if you’re not worried about the size (which i think is fine) then you’ll probably like it better.

• vaultboy101

Hi ssk. Since I am moving to Canada soon, which is the best carrier for Ontario? I know you hail from Nova Scotia but I hear a lot of good things from folks about Rogers and I do prefer Windows Phone cellphones. TELUS is the other one I hear about. How does Bell Canada fare against these two?

Funnily enough I have the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK on EE 4G and it has been very problem free which is surprising coming from an iPhone 4S. Just wish there were more decent apps and games… sigh

• Arag0n

The apps and games will come, we just need patience, markets are getting to 5% in most Europe and over 3% in USA. Now is the time, the average income per WP user is higher than iPhone and there is 1wp for every 5iphones sold now outside USA, so it’s likely things will change fast next 12 months. Once market reaches 10% in Europe and 5% in USA it will be unstoppable!

• Arag0n

Nah, just that I know you are a wp8 lover, so i was wondering if your wife got yours… Which phone did you buy for yourself?

• ludi

Meanwhile, the HTC Passion (a.k.a. Google Nexus One) was one of the first and best of the near-4″ smartphones. The initial runs even used OLED displays, although later, they did use conventional LCDs for some markets in order to increase production volumes.

HTC’s problem isn’t their capabilities, it’s that they make phones for every pricepoint and the lower-end products use some truly terrible corner-cutting to save costs.

• sweatshopking

does anyone want a 7 inch phone? i sure as heck don’t.

• trackerben

Neither do I. But it would make for a nice auto satnav with Google Maps and a cheap data plan.

Is that what your wife tells you? Or was it NeelyCam?

• sweatshopking

haha smarty pants. if my wife said that, it would be a 5 inch phone.

• NeelyCam

Galaxy Note is almost a 7-inch phone already

• ludi

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t want a tabphone myself, but supposedly Samsung sold more than 5 million of them in the first two months after release:

[url<]http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/746304.shtml[/url<] Assuming a holiday sales bump, they might sell 14-15 million by the end of the year. I guess if you figure that a lot of users might use either speakerphone or a BT headset, and then have the Note on their lap or desk to act as a conference call terminal/browser/notepad, it makes sense.