Samsung unveils 24” touch monitor for Win8

We’ve seen plenty of tablets, laptops, and all-in-one desktops with touch screens ripe for Windows 8, but surprisingly few standalone desktop monitors. However, Samsung seems intent on rectifying that. The company has unveiled a 24-inch multi-touch desktop monitor optimized for Microsoft’s new operating system.

According to Samsung, the SC770 Touch Monitor supports 10-point multitouch input. You can tilt the display forward by as much as 60 degrees, which should make for less uncomfortable interactions. The stand lets you rotate the panel into portrait mode, as well.

Otherwise, the SC770 Touch Monitor has a 24" MVA panel with a 1920×1080 resolution and 178° viewing angles (both horizontal and vertical). Samsung quotes luminosity of 250 cd/m², a contrast ratio of 5000:1, and a gray-to-gray response time of 5 ms. Those specs look fairly solid, even if more luminous displays are available with that same panel size. Oh, and the spec sheet also mentions HDMI input, a built-in USB hub, and integrated 3W speakers.

If you ask me, a nice multi-touch touchpad probably makes more sense than a touch-screen monitor for use with a desktop PC. Logitech’s T650 looks decent enough. I suppose some folks will want the full Modern UI experience, however, and having the option certainly can’t hurt.

Touching an upright, desktop screen with your fingers is wrong on so many levels.

• Haserath

*Slips on latex gloves*

Ready for this.

• Grigory

Dear Samsung, how about you make a monitor for Windows 9 in which all the retarded touch-nonsense for desktop computers went away? All the best, Grigory.

• Visigoth

I think we should knock on M$’s door first, though, as they started it with their Metro crap. >:(

• Grigory

“From my parents’ home in Wyoming, I stab at thee!”

• BIF

I think I would rather have my iPad (or a similar pad-device) as an on-screen navigational, cursor, and typing tool.

Here’s how I envision it:

My iPad (or an iPad mini, iPhone, or an Android or WP tablet or phone) would act as a small “window” to my desktop, offering a subset view of whatever section of screen (on whichever monitor) I want to see and work with.

Gesture to the top-left, the tablet sees the ribbon drop-downs for my application, “File”, “Edit”, “Options”, etc. Using the tablet, I press “File, Save As”, and then type in my file name, all navigating and inputting text with my tablet and its on-screen keyboard; no mouse, no physical keyboard needed for simple operations!

Likewise, say I’m in my DAW software, and I have the mixer display opened up. I gesture with the tablet to bring the mixer faders into view for tracks 1-4, and then manipulate the volume and balance levels right on the screen of the tablet, causing the DAW to mimic my gestures and touch-input. Again, no mouse, no keyboard, no mixer controller faders needed.

And no expensive 24″ monitors needed, unless I wish to draw or paint directly on the screen.

I don’t know, can we do this already in some applications?

• FuturePastNow

The only possible use I could see for such a monitor would be laying it at a 10-15 degree angle in place of a keyboard, for drawing or pretending I’m using LCARS.

But I wouldn’t want to actually replace a keyboard with it, so that idea is out.

• albundy

so they expect people to put this at the front edge of their desks? what a waste of R&D. this is really great for kiosks at tradeshows and such, but to expect people to make any usefulness out of this is far from near. do you expect people to stand while using this screen? i know my arms would get tired very fast.

• cynan

Square peg/round hole… Keep pushing hard enough, and who knows? It just might eventually fit. Sigh…

[quote<]If you ask me, a nice multi-touch touchpad probably makes more sense than a touch-screen monitor for use with a desktop PC [/quote<] Touchpads, for most desktop uses (and there's only so often the average person needs to zoom in on a photo - and if you're doing serious photo work you're better off with a real stylus/tablet set anyway), are compromised devices compared to a good mouse. They work great on laptops when a mouse is impractical. Otherwise no. Neither of these options makes much sense for 95% of average desktop use. Time to get out the hammer, Microsoft.

• indeego

Control F

[b<][u<][i<]WHY[/b<][/u<][/i<]

• sweatshopking

kitchen pc? something on the wall, you don’t want a keyboard and mouse for? it’d be banging for netflix while you did the dishes.

• yogibbear

Who’s kitchen sink faces their fridge? Seriously, how terrible is your kitchen’s feng shui?

• sweatshopking

I’m not sure I understand

• indeego

You haven’t thought this through, have you?

• tootercomputer

I think it’s great. To me, a touch screen does not have to be a 100% deal. If I had a touch screen, I would still use my mouse, my keyboard, I would use voice (Dragon 11.5 and above, which works great), and for some tasks, I would use touch. I could imagine maps, maybe some drawing programs, but even word processing, e.g., touch and highlight something. I suspect certain programs will evolve with touch features now that touch is available.

I always have thought touch would be a great addition to input, and now it’s becoming mainstream.

• DarkUltra

Panning the map with mouse-button+mouse-movement, rotate with ctrl-key+mouse-movement and zooming in and out with the scrollwheel will always be more precise and fast than a multi-touch monitor. You also have to move your hands from the mouse and keyboard to the display, and keep the monitor in reach. But if Microsoft and other developers force a touch-ui on users, I’m afraid people will never get the chance to learn ctrl-key+mouse movement.

Another example is reft-mouse-button+scroll-wheel+mouse-movement in FastStone image viewer to compare two images closely. Very useful if you have taken multiple images with your camera and see which one has best focus. Never gonna work with fullscreen and multi-touch.

• someuid

There’s a larger problem here, folks, than just the awkwardness of touching your desktop screen.

Our monitors will soon be dirtier than our toilet seats, just as our keyboards, mice, staplers, tape dispensers, coffee pot handles, door knobs, pens, pencils, keys, light switches, elevator buttons, credit card swipe machines, gas pump handles, service counters, shopping carts, the underside of women’s purses, and several other things are.

• GTVic

THGTTG Quote: “For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive–you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.”

• sschaem

“You can tilt the display forward by as much as 60 degrees, which should make for less uncomfortable interactions.”

Well, tilting bring part forward the rest farther away… making half of the screen real estate even harder to reach. You are then also looking at a distorted “full1080p” display.

Hope this come with a lifetime supply of Windex8 .

And I already see line forming at my chiropractor with a banner “Windows8 touch screen relief”

Carpel tunnel syndrom will be nothing compared to Brachial Plexus8 syndrome.

• liquidsquid

Properly executed, a touch-screen would be great for PCB board layout. Multi-touch would be awesome! Pin and drag, stretch, move parts… all physical domain stuff.

• Cyco-Dude

i’m not touching my goddammned monitor when i have a keyboard and mouse at hand. clearly not useful for a desktop application. maybe something else though (htpc? kitchen pc? server?) that doesn’t have a keyboard and mouse at the ready.

• Arag0n

Touch is optional, not required. However, once you have it, you get used and then you will think different.

• dpaus

[quote<]having the option certainly can't hurt[/quote<] You've obviously never used a 20" wide touch interface sitting about 30" away from you for an 8-hour work day. If it [i<]doesn't[/i<] hurt, you're holding it wrong.

• Farting Bob

Then dont use the touchscreen capabilities all the time. You can use it occasionally and continue to use a mouse for most things. Nobody wants to use a touchscreen all day every day, but there are people out there who want to use one occasionally.

• dpaus

Please get in touch with chuckula; he’s writing a book on ‘Internet Reading Comprehension’ and I’ve asked him to include a small sidebar called ‘5 Easy Ways to Recognize Internet Humor’

• BiffStroganoffsky

You probably should have added ‘eh…’ so he Bob would have a reference.

• Malphas

“Humour”? I think it would be very tenuous to try and claim your post was humorous, frankly. Failed attempt, maybe.

• Arag0n

There is one thing I can’t see in the picture about this monitor. Win8 needs bezel and screen to be at the same height so lateral movements to show charms, close apps and multitasking work properly. Any touch screen that ignores that is good for nothing with Win8.

• XTF

I guess you don’t play RTSs (multiplayer).

• indeego

Which really require finite mouse-pixel density control. A finger press in most RTS is a disaster unless it’s been designed for it.

• Arag0n

Funny to see people complain about it…. Win8 + Touchscreen + custom App = Damned good touch applications for small/mid size business.

For home users, I still think it has sense for some scenarios, such as strategy games and designers if pen-input is also enabled.

• trackerben

“…I still think it has sense for some scenarios, such as strategy games..”

ta-da!

• Arag0n

I also believe that the new generation that is growing now getting used to play touch devices as papa and mama’s phone and tablet will request touch input from their desktop/laptop as well.

• trackerben

I don’t know about the next generation, but right now I’m thinking how this could work for me in playing Defense Grid

• Arag0n

I don’t think I’m next generation and I also see the benefit 😀

I just mean that currently at least half desktop users think touch is useless but the kids that are less than 12 now, I’m sure no one will ever think like that almost.

• trackerben

Almost bought a 14in Acer M5 touchscreen notebook just to see how my favorite game may benefit. My fingers are a-shiver at the thought of this 24incher.

I guess few in our generation think like you and me 🙂

• Arag0n

Can’t you see how many people seems to be setup on fire because Windows now can be used also by touch? Touch is not required at all, but people seems so angry they added it! Since when adding options is bad?

• superjawes

I’m really crossing my fingers for some new input methods on computers, which will probably be driven by games at home. If nothing else, I’d just like to see what some people can come up with. Touch screens will probably not stick in business or home desktop settings, but you might get some camera motions or widgets that work.

• kvndoom

Tony Stark needs to patent and license his 3D computer interface. I could work with that.

• Metonymy

I have four large monitors sitting on the large table I use as a desk, and it makes me crazy if anyone even touches one with his/her greasy paws. But apart from that, I can’t imagine anything more miserable than having to take my hands off of my keyboard (in it’s drawer under the desk) and reach out and touch the screens. I suspect that after a few hours I’d just give up.

I get it on a tablet or phone, and perhaps laptops. But desk monitors?

I wonder how many people will wind up buying them because they have this idea that they need one for Win 8 or because they think touch is so cool on their phones.

• mcnabney

If I bought a big MVA display, I wouldn’t be putting my greasy &$%#beaters on it, that’s for sure.

• sweatshopking

family site… say it with me…

• MadManOriginal

it

• superjawes

it

• mcnabney

fixed

• Washer

Keyboard draws are awful.

• lilbuddhaman

From above:
    [quote<]24" MVA panel with a 1920x1080[/quote<] From other sources: [quote<]Samsung has developed a 4.99-inch touchscreen with a 1080p resolution[/quote<] Sigh.

• rwburnham

2560×1440 WQHD please.

• Decelerate

I’d settle for that, though WQXGA’s 2560×1600 is more tempting.

Samsung’s screen though has a nice simple form.

• Farting Bob

Making a very high DPI 5″ screen without defects is a hell of a lot easier than making a 24″ one. Also, the market for 5″ screens is very big and growing rapidly, the market for high DPI desktop screens is nowhere near as big.

Im sure they could make at least 4k screens for >24″ but it would get very expensive.

• GeneS

About [url=http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/sharp-unveils-a-5500-4k-32-inch-monitor-20121128/<]$5,500[/url<]

• yogibbear

The problem with a touch screen is that you have to sit too close to touch it comfortably. For comfortable viewing my monitor is just out of arms reach (and this is the point at which my arm feels like I’m stretching it). i.e. i’d have to sit ~10cm closer so that my arm isn’t locked at a right angle or sit higher as well…. meaning…. now my eyes hurt and I can’t see the screen as well.

• kvndoom

And the smudges… oh gawd the smudges! My OCD would never let me have a touch-screen.

• squeeb

This.

It would drive me insane.

• Farting Bob

On a matte screen the smudges wouldnt be too bad. All smartphones ive ever seen are glossy screens which obviously make smudges far worse, but on a desktop you can use a matte screen that will be far better.

• nanoflower

This! I have a glossy CRT that I’m still using and it irritates me to no end when I see a smudge on the screen. My next monitor will not have a glossy screen. I can’t imagine having a glossy monitor that was also a touch screen.

• superjawes

My iPhone is “glossy” because it’s glass, which gives it some resilience to touch input. Matte might seem like a better choice to avoid smudges, but I am not so sure it would have as much resilience, at least if your goal is to have a touchable screen.

I would personally prefer–if I had to use a touch-input desktop monitor–to have a glass screen that can be cleaned with ordinary Windex or a good cloth. It might look bad, but matte screens will get dirty, too, and being able to easily clean your screen without fear of damage trumps short term dirtiness, IMO.

• Vaughn

i’m with you on that kvndoom.

I almost smacked my girlfriend when she put a finger print on my IPS monitor trying to show me something on google maps.

You should have seen the look on her face when I said WTF are you doing. i’m not blind I can see what you are point at please don’t touch my the screen lmao.

Once I told her it was a $500 dollar monitor she stopped doing it!

• yogibbear

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpfydZdTE0[/url<]

• Vaughn

lol that video is jokes thanks yogibbear.

• Meadows

Ah, children. They need to be taught the value of things.

• rwburnham

Think of it as an excuse to stretch occasionally, which we should be doing anyway.

• geekl33tgamer

I’m sorry. I don’t sit close enough to my computer screens for this to be remotely useful…

• Firestarter

I can’t touch my monitor without leaning forward.

• Hattig

Glad to have a USB hub on the monitor, given how the slinkier shinier laptops these days only have a couple of ports themselves.

Win8’s tiles do pretty much require a touchscreen if you want to use touch to drive it, I don’t see how a touchpad would work for UI taps, it’s just another mouse replacement.

• pedro

This activity is still not fun with this form factor.