Leap motion control tech coming to high-end Asus PCs

Ooh, interesting. Mere days ahead of CES, Asus has announced that it’s going to add motion control technology to some of its upcoming PCs. The company has partnered with Leap Motion, the same San Francisco start-up that unveiled a $70, ultra-precise motion controller in May of last year.

Leap Motion’s controller will be bundled with Asus’ "premium" all-in-one PCs and high-end notebooks based on Intel’s next-gen Haswell processors. The controller can purportedly "track movements to 1/100th millimeter . . . with no visible lag time." It features a "150-degree field of view" and keeps track of "individual hands and all 10 fingers at 290 frames per second." The demo video Leap Motion posted last year certainly looked promising:

It’s easy to see the advantage for tasks like scrolling, panning, and zooming. I’m not sure how well the technology works in practice for more subtle interactions, since your fingers aren’t directly touching the objects they’re meant to control. Still, the technology looks worlds more precise than something like Microsoft’s Kinect, and waving your hand in front of the screen is probably less tiresome than manually poking and prodding at a glass surface—and leaving greasy smudges. I wouldn’t be surprised if those upcoming Asus machines combined the Leap Motion tech with conventional touch screens, though, so users can get the best of both worlds.

• jonjonjon

boring. useless just like kinect and touch. would rather use a mouse.

• Hattig

This looks pretty amazing, especially for the price.

Touch screen monitors can go screw themselves and their greasy fingerprints!

However demos are great and all that, but it’s the real world support that matters. Getting it into more devices will encourage more development, and ensure the success of the device.

• Shoki

I pre-ordered this… when can I have it?

• njsutorius

I’m surprised this doesn’t have more comments. It seems very cool to me.. i means we are so close to minority report its very exciting.

• jessterman21

This has been in my YouTube favorites for nearly a year. I cannot believe how cheap this device is, especially if it’s as accurate as reported. As soon as someone develops a killer-app for it, I’m getting one.

• ghostpsalm

Killer-app; Windows 8? When you are not in production/gaming mode, you might recline, read a good TR page. This is casual gesturing at its finest!

• yogibbear

Hopefully the forum can interpret my finger expressions as replies 🙂

• lilbuddhaman

I want a scuba diving game using Crytek or Unreal 4 engine, with real dive locations as well as “fantasy” ones. (Think Endless Ocean but not on the wii)

• Deanjo

Complete with scuba gear including the tank and gives you the bends if you come up to quick.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Agreed about this vs. touch screens on the desktop. Touch screens make sense for mobile devices, but touch control on a desktop monitor just seems like it would be awkward and relatively useless. However I could see this combined with a touch mouse really giving the desktop experience an enjoyable new twist.

• MadManOriginal

If you have a touch surface mouse, this makes less sense because you’d already have the touch gestures on the mouse itself. It makes more sense to combine with a regular mouse because then you’d have both.

I can see it being cool if limited. For desktops replacing the mouse with touch doesn’t make sense if only for ergonomic reasons, but as an added input method it has potential.

• ghostpsalm
    • brute

what could the adult entertainment industry do with this?

• willmore

It might end a few arguements about whose is bigger.

• superjawes

[quote<]The controller can purportedly "track movements to [b<]1/100th millimeter[/b<] . . ."[/quote<] 1. Gotta love a good "purportedly" 2. I personally think "10 microns" would have sounded better and have a better marketing ring to it. Just saying.

• BiffStroganoffsky

But micron is so passe in the states whereas meter is so exotic…as it is so ‘foreign’ to American eyes and ears (but not the rest of the world).

• superjawes

I don’t know about you, but as an American, I rarely get a chance–metric or otherwise–to drop a good micron here or there.

Although if you want to sound exotic or foreign, at least spell it “metre.”

• MadManOriginal

Nah, that just makes you sound like a pretentious wanker.

• Arclight

If it’s not “nano”, marketing won’t like it.

• yogibbear

GIVE ME A POWER GLOVE GOD DAMMIT!

• RickyTick

I see a glove in the future too, however I think it’ll look more like what Seven-of-Nine had on her hands if you can picture it.

• willyolio

just wear the nintendo one with this controller, and pretend it’s the glove doing all the tracking.