Lower-power Ivy chips coming to ‘select’ systems

Remember those rumors about lower-wattage Ivy Bridge processors possibly showing up before the Haswell launch? Well, they’re not rumors anymore. We now have confirmation—or rather, CNet News does—that Ivy Bridge chips with TDPs below the current minimum of 17W are indeed on the way.

"Limited SKUs" of Intel’s 3rd Generation processor, aka Ivy Bridge, will have a power rating below 10 watts, allowing the processor to throttle down to a sub-10-watt power envelope, an Intel spokesperson told CNET. This "will enable new ultrabook designs" and the chip is "coming very soon," he added.

That’s about it as far as specifics go, unfortunately. CNet News just adds that these power-sipping Ivy Bridge models should be available only to "select laptop and tablet vendors." Presumably, that means we’ll have to wait until later this year for Intel’s next architectural refresh, Haswell, to usher in widespread sub-10W goodness.

• cartman_hs

Great news…bring them on…i’m already sick of low performing arm chips….

• moog

I’m sick of the ARM monopoly.

• green

*yawn*

every time they offer a lower TDP chip, it always comes in at lower clock speeds than the previous TDP range. meaning all they’re doing is offering a lower clocked chips and adjusting the “max” TDP accordingly. which we already know will use less power as the amount of electrons moved over time is less. but because all these next-gen computer users have no idea about what’s going on underneath, they see it’s using less power and think it’s some voodoo magic that means more battery at the “exact same performance”. it’s not a bad thing, but it’s nothing to get your jollies over saying “oooh i hope it’s in the next mac-blah i-thingy whateva”.

hate to use a tired turn of phrase, but wake me when it’s ACTAULLY lower TDP for the same clock speed AND performance
    of course that will generally come for new processor steppings, process shrinks, or architecture changes (or by not penny-pinching on the TIM between die and heatspreader).

• MadManOriginal

Wow man, relax. Although the general public doesn’t know ‘all the details’ they aren’t totally clueless. Clock speeds are still advertised and the general public does know that clock speed is directly proportional to performance. And yeah, lower TDP parts of the same process node and architecture are made by downclocking and thus binning for lower voltage. It’s not anything new whatsoever, it goes back ages in laptops, what’s new is the push for form factors that need such low TDPs.

• ltcommander.data

I wonder if Apple will use these lower 10W chips to go ahead with a retina MacBook Air refresh early with Ivy Bridge rather than wait for Haswell?

• MadManOriginal

Only if they go for a 6 month refresh cycle. (Personally, doing that rather than a 12 month refresh starts to smell of desperation to me but anyway…) The current MBA came out around June of 2012, so a 1 year refresh in June of 2013 is perfect timing for Haswell, if there was a 6 month refresh we’d already have heard about it. I think they’ll add a ‘Retina’ display as well.

• dpaus

Every time my eyes read ‘select systems’, my brain registers ‘with stupid-high price tags’

• willmore

So you think they’re going to be in Mac’s, too, huh?

• Haserath

No, surface.

• dashbarron

I just have to say this:

[b<]Every time[/b<] I see Haswell, all I can think of is: "Haswell that ends well."

• windwalker

I hope some OEM will be able and have the sense to keep at least one of their existing external designs but with significantly longer battery life.

Is this TDP low enough for fanless designs?

• Goty

“Sub-10W” isn’t very precise, but there are likely chips that could get by with passive cooling. Conduction through a metal chassis or the like might be feasible.

• willmore

My 17W E-350 MB is passively cooled, so I hope so. Think I should go down into the basement and check it?

• Arag0n

Surface Pro anyone?

• OneArmedScissor

That’s regular 17w, according to recent news:

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6486/microsoft-announces-surface-pro-pricing-and-availability-17w-ivb-starting-at-899-in-january-2013[/url<] 17w CPUs have been adjustable to 13w for some time, so going even lower is probably for 9" tablets.

• JustAnEngineer

I can’t complain about the performance of the 17-watt Ivy Bridge CPU in my notebook.
        [url<]http://ark.intel.com/products/65714[/url<]

• Arag0n

Next year then maybe… Surface 2.

• Flying Fox

The last rumour I read was that they are looking at AMD for Surface (Pro) 2. I would really hope they can just get a limited run with these 10W Ivy’s in the current gen. But I guess at this point, MacBooks > Surface so we can probably guess where these fancier Ivys may end up.

• Arag0n

Touche, Macbook Air is likely to get those fancy Ivy. I wonder if MS will do a half year upgrade from current Ivy to lower power Ivy. 2 upgrades per year, one specs only and the other one for design/usability/software.

• pedro

Give me slim or give me death!

• Helmore

Sounds like a bad case of anorexia.

• Mourmain

No, he’s just a big Eminem fan.

• Haserath

Wouldn’t a bad case give him both?

• Shambles

Give me battery life or give me death.

• dpaus

Once the battery runs out, you’ll have been given both – score!!!

• Haserath

Oh, I didn’t even see that until I posted. D:

Now I feel like a lame duck repeating the same joke.