Nvidia’s Project Shield handheld caught on video

One of the great things about CES is that, if you know where to look, you can see freshly announced products and prototypes in action. Scott, our Editor in Chief, did just that yesterday with Nvidia’s Project Shield handheld, which Nvidia demonstrated streaming Need for Speed Most Wanted from a GeForce GTX-equipped PC:

Nifty. I think I can see a small amount of lag between the analog stick movements and on-screen action, but the game is clearly playable. Also, it’s running at the five-inch display’s native 1280×720 resolution, which clearly makes for some very crisp graphics. Since the rendering isn’t happening on the device itself, detail levels can be cranked up as high as the host PC can handle.

I’m still not sure I’d enjoy extended gaming sessions on such a small screen, but if the price is right, Project Shield could definitely make a nice sidekick for a gaming PC. As Nvidia revealed earlier this week, the device can also use its Tegra 4 processor to run Android games natively.

• Bensam123

Notice the brackets? No where else in the review does it say they’re working with Nvidia and brackets indicate the author of the paper put it in. The way he’s talking about it, it seems this technology will be built into Steam… but Nvidias technology directly competes against that functionality so I don’t know why they’d be working together.

• l33t-g4m3r

Project shield is just nvidia using the public to debug cloud gaming, without paying for cloud gaming servers or forcing people into a subscription model.

• AustinW

“The thing we’re working on with [Nvidia] is that you’ll be in your living room and your TV will potentially be connected either through wireless or ethernet. You’ll pick up a controller and Big Picture will come on.”

• Bensam123

I read that before… I didn’t see anything about them working with Nvidia… Unless you’re talking about them simply mentioning kepler?

• AustinW

TheVerge.com did an [url=http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming<]interview[/url<] with Gabe earlier this week and he talked about Shield a little bit. Apparently Valve is already working with Nvidia to get functionality like this into Steam. Relevant quote: "The Steam Box will also be a server. Any PC can serve multiple monitors, so over time, the next-generation (post-Kepler) you can have one GPU that’s serving up eight simultaeneous game calls."

• swiffer

I don’t understand.

How can there be gaming without a keyboard and mouse?

• cynan

Now that’s gotta make for some lagtastic gaming.

• NeelyCam

Did charlie tell you to say that? Because that’s the official stance of S|A

• Shoki

I want one.

• Bensam123

Unfortunately just delivering clean frame rates is a fraction of the picture. Input latency means the world to gamers, like myself. If you can notice input lag through a handheld camera from the floor across the internet in a video, then this has to be pretty bad in person.

I appreciate the concept, but this is on a closed circuit right next to the PC with little to no latency. They want to do this across the internet and we all know how well that worked with OnLive. You simply can’t remove the latency between the server and the device, at best you could limit it by installing a dedicated fiber backbone just for that device or (devices), which someone like Google may be able to do, but I’m guessing this uses the normal net.

There is just no comparison… This is software meant for a lan that they’re trying to turn into a product model it’s not capable of being. Just sell the software and sell the handheld device, be happy you’re making money and getting your name out there.

Oh yeah… Pstt… Valve… Something steam should be doing.

Just thinking about controller longevity.

After 2500 hours of button-mashing and stick-pushing or whatever it takes to completely knacker an Xbox360 pad, I just spend £30 and grab a new one. I’m on my fourth pad in about six years.

When the pad costs $400 it’s not such an easy pill to swallow.

• jessterman21

Dude, move your right thumb.

• Srsly_Bro

He spelled Haydn wrong. There is no “e”.

• codedivine

[quote=”Cyril”<]I'm still not sure I'd enjoy extended gaming sessions on such a small screen[/quote<] You can also connect it to the TV via the HDMI port, while using the Shield as a controller. Pretty nice way to connect your main PC (which can be anywhere in the house) to your TV thus removing (or at least reducing) the need for living room PCs.

• NeelyCam

No “first”? I am disappoint

• NeelyCam

[quote<]so don't be Hayden.[/quote<] Panettiere? Christensen?

• The Dark One

I thought for sure that the youtube link was going to point to this:

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWPXybVjYE[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro

Looks like you have a Handel on this.

• Arclight

Watch [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0<]out[/url<]

• dpaus

<blush> That’s pretty high praise, coming from you!

• Jon

Clever girl.

• sweatshopking

you’re such a nerd.

• dpaus

[quote<]detail levels can be cranked up as high as the host PC can handlel[/quote<] Bach, bach... As you try to render MozArt, you can still get Chopin. It's true, fanbois, so don't be Hayden.

Share this post with your friends!