EVGA preps first Mini-ITX enclosure

Our Editor in Chief came across something unexpected in EVGA’s suite at the Consumer Electronics Show. Amid the company’s latest graphics cards, motherboards, and power supplies was an interesting new addition: a small-form-factor enclosure dubbed the Mini-ITX Box.

This is EVGA’s first stab at a PC enclosure, and it was designed "inside and out" by the company. EVGA plans to offer two versions: one without liquid cooling and one with an integrated radiator, pump, reservoir, and fill cap—but no CPU block. Both models will also include an optical drive, a 500W power supply with pre-routed cables, and USB 3.0 connectivity. (Don’t let the black hue on those front-panel USB ports fool you; EVGA confirmed that they are indeed SuperSpeed-capable.)

Now, the demo unit pictured above is a prototype. EVGA tells us the case will be refined with a black power supply and a removable brace above the graphics card. Initial shipments are scheduled for the June-July time frame.

Although neither version of the Mini-ITX Box will come with a bundled motherboard, EVGA already offers a Mini-ITX mobo based on Intel’s Z77 Express chipset. The EVGA Z77 Stinger is already available at Newegg for $199.99, or $179.99 after a $20 mail-in rebate.

• LoneWolf15

“Both models will also include an optical drive”

How do you access it?

If that case front is a hinged door, I consider that a fail; I’d either want a slot-load drive or a bay for a 3.5″ or slim notebook drive so I could use the case in areas where clearance could be minimal.

• libradude

The 3rd pic in the gallery shows a vertically-mounted thin optical drive, and the front of the case shows a vertical slit that looks like it would be for a slot-loading drive.

Just noticed that the PSU is bespoke.

Bespoke power supply for a bespoke design from a vendor making their first ever PC case is about as reassuring as an elephant skating on cracked ice at the end of a mild winter.

• libradude

Why would anyone want to do liquid-cooling in a mITX case? Low noise? Overclocking? Does anyone really *need* to overclock at this point? Lower noise, as others have pointed out, would be negated by that tiny fan in the Shuttle-style power supply. Fitting 500w of power circuitry in an area that small (between the cpu and graphics card, even) is a recipe for disaster imo… I love EVGA; they’re the only video cards I will buy after years of being continually impressed by their performance and build quality – I have a 7900 GTO that still works… but I’m really not impressed with this first case. I’d take my Silverstone SG05 over this any day. I have a 3570K (not overclocked mind you, just in case I ever wanted to or needed to in a larger case in the future) using the stock intel cooler on an asus z77 board, and just shoehorned an EVGA 660ti signature 2 card in there. Combined with the 830 ssd for OS and 3TB for storage, I think I’m set for a few years. Many thanks to techreport for the excellent recommendations 🙂

edit – and what’s up with those huge fans exhausting hot air out the top? If you’re water cooling, what exactly is getting so hot in there that you need that much ventilation? Unless…the water cooling system uses those top-mounted fans? I think I just answered my own question. 🙂 (I haven’t done water cooling before; never saw a need to)

• superjawes

Yes, water cooling uses fans. Basically, heat is transferred to the water, and the water flows to a radiator, and the radiator expels the hot air. Even though you still have fans, this allows you to open up space above the CPU (important for tall RAM), and [i<]possibly[/i<] use larger fans, which can move a lot of air without generating noise. I think the liquid cooling makes sense because you can confine a lot of hot components in once place, but they really need to get a passively cooled PSU, or just a better way to cool it.

• libradude

But you need a pump to circulate the water, right? Just one more thing to fail imo 🙁

• DragonDaddyBear

[quote<]integrated radiator, [b<]pump[/b<] reservoir, and fill cap—but no CPU block.[/quote<]

• DragonDaddyBear

Maybe it’s so you can fit high-end hardware in a small case and not have them overheat? I think a 125W CPU + 300W+GPU usually require more air flow than a little case like this can put out.

• libradude

I guess I see your point. I went with a 77w IB and medium-high gpu to help minimize heating issues, and the card I selected has a shroud that exhausts most of the heat out of the back of the case. The SG05 has very good airflow (albeit with just one front-mounted 120mm fan along with the internal psu 80mm) and “positive pressure” so I guess I wasn’t looking at it from an AMD cpu + gpu combination. I remember those can get pretty toasty from my old socket 939 Opteron.

• JoHowdy123

I just recently built a new mITX box and decided on a prefab liquid cooled setup, not because i wanted to jam as much as possible into the case (components wise), but because the size of the case, demanded i use water cooled setup to eliminate a fan near the CPU area.

With all the cabling and the location of the PSU in the case of choice, no way was any fan setup going to be a viable option and not have a cable falling into the fan blades and making the worst noise imaginable.

With the liquid cooled setup, the fan is located in another part of the case, much quieter i might add, and the CPU area is freed up and i have less concern with cables ending up in the fan blades, or the heat dissipation problem that may be encountered with a low profile (60mm) heat sink and fan setup just below a ATX PSU. (small form factor)
      Not only that, but I do gain a little thermal headroom for a i7 now. 🙂

• dashbarron

The irony and [i<]rage[/i<] when your 14 inch EVGA GPU doesn't fit.

• willmore

[quote<]Although neither version of the Mini-ITX Box will come with a bundled motherboard, EVGA already offers a Mini-ITX mobo based on Intel's Z77 Express chipset.[/quote<] Thaks for that, I was going to ask if they even made a mini-ITX MB. Most of the boards I've seen from them are in the super-huge category.

They seem to be trying too hard with the layout, styling, cooling – but at least they’re not making another six-cubic-feet monster with room for twelve drives, four GPUs and two dual-fan watercooling radiators.

mATX and mITX is the future, with everything getting smaller and lower power, [b<][i<]all[/i<] of the R&D money[/b<] is being spent on mobility and low-power products.

• JustAnEngineer

Micro-ATX has been the present for quite a while now. With four PCIe slots, it’s ready for all but the most extreme enthusiast PCs. You can buy excellent enthusiast motherboards and cases in the Micro-ATX form factor.

Mini-ITX’s single PCIe slot seems like it’s not enough.

• Amgal

That’s what dual GPU cards are for. The only remaining problem is fitting one INTO a M-ITX case. Although, I’ve seen people take dremels to the silverstone ft03-mini. Awesome.

• shank15217

heat might be the problem that dremel cannot solve.

• LauRoman

Is it just me or does the power supply seem to sit between the cpu and gpu? That or the case has some weird video output placement on the back.

• swiffer

That appears to be the case. (rimshot)

My concern with their choice of PSU form factor is the noise those 40mm fans make when they’re generating any kind of airflow. That could minimize one of the reasons hobbyists consider the move to water cooling.

• superjawes

Yeah…throwing small fans like that in there will basically negate any noise reduction of water cooling.

I think it was a Lian-Li concept, but I feel like this case would benefit from mounting the PSU toward the front of the case and route a power cord from the back. The CPU heatsink is awfully close to it in those pictures, and the GPU looks completely buried under those hot components.

• insulin_junkie72

[quote<]a small-form-factor enclosure dubbed the Mini-ITX Box.[/quote<] I realize it's their first stab at an enclosure, but their marketing department really needs to think of a better name for it.

• yogibbear

Condensed steam box?

• willmore

Aqua-zone ultimate punisher edition!

• internetsandman