New trailers hype Aliens: Colonial Marines release

Finished playing through the annual deluge of holiday releases? Good, because there are numerous new games on tap for February. One of them is Aliens: Colonial Marines, which is being developed by Gearbox Software and is due out on the 12th. To whet your appetite, here are a couple of recent trailers for the game, the first of which was released today and contains language that probably isn’t safe for work.

Aliens is a beloved franchise in sci-fi circles, so Colonial Marines has a lot to live up to. Something feels off in these trailers, though. Maybe it’s the fact that the cinematic trailer released last year had a much moodier vibe that reminded me of the marine levels from the classic Aliens vs. Predator game. The newer trailers are certainly action-packed, but they don’t really convey the terror of being stalked by Xenomorphs.

Don’t get me wrong; Colonial Marines still looks like a lot of fun. The campaign has support for up to four cooperative players, and the story is supposed to be a direct sequel to the second Aliens movie. There’s reason to be optimistic about the narrative, too, since former Battlestar Galactica writers had a hand in creating it.

Unfortunately, Colonial Marines appears to be devoid of PC-specific goodies. This is a DirectX 9-class game, and the system requirements are relatively modest. The graphics in the trailers have a bit of a low-fidelity console feel, too. The lack of additional eye candy won’t matter so much if the gameplay and story deliver, and Gearbox’s recent work with the Borderlands series suggests they will. Fingers crossed.

• The Dark One

Trailer voiceover update from Colonial Marines writer and voice of Scooter Mikey Neumann:

[quote<]@mikeyface The dialog in the Aliens trailer today is not from the game. I also did not write it. Love you! [/quote<] [url<]https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/294483511069523968[/url<]

• TaBoVilla

People complaining about dated graphics, what gives?? if the gameplay is fun, who cares about graphics? I would rather be impressed by a game with dated graphics and awesome gameplay mechanics than to be dissapointed by an HDR eye candy filled HD textures whatever dubstep 7.1 sound crapfest

Top games being played right now according to steam:

Daily Top
    230,158 Dota 2
    55,657 Team Fortress 2
    76,284 Football Manager 2013
    59,868 Counter-Strike
    33,059 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

yeah, awesome graphics on the first 4 right? pfff

• superjawes

Numbers? Facts?! EVIDENCE?!?!??!!

EDIT: seriously, though, that list doesn’t include WoW and LoL, both of which probably beat Dota2 on the numbers and have less fancy graphics.

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<]according to steam, daily top[/quote<] If it's not on steam, it's not going to show on the list. But "most played" doesn't equate to "most fun". Dota is F2P (and dota type games are a "love it" or "hate it" affair). TF2 another F2P. Football Manager 2013 clearly a "non gamer" type of a game. In fact, all of the titles in that top 5 have tried and true gameplay mechanics, no innovation in >5 years. They are all due for upgrades in graphics engines, albeit Skyrim can be modded to be up to snuff, but it is still long in the tooth at it's core.

• superjawes

TaBoVilla was saying that it doesn’t really make sense for people to rip on a game for “dated” graphics (such as Colonial Marines) when several of the top Steam games also have “dated” graphics.

I presented WoW and LoL because they are not on the list, but fall under the same category and would definitely have numbers competing with or exceeding Dota 2.

• auxy

[quote<]Football Manager 2013 clearly a "non gamer" type of a game.[/quote<]Clearly you have never played it. Would you also call Nobunaga's Ambition or Romance of the Three Kingdoms a "non gamer" type of game? Football Manager may not be a fast-paced action game or a heavily-overproduced RPG, but it's a very intense and in-depth game requiring many hours of practice to master. (Note: I do not own nor play Football Manager.)

• sweatshopking

they do.

• swaaye

Some people look at this game and automatically want photorealism and judge it against other games they’ve played that they recall rose-tinted-style as being more photorealistic.

I couldn’t care less. I play DOS shooters now and then. Actually those prehistoric graphics sometimes fuel the imagination more than today’s waxy normal-mapped motion-blurred weirdly-animated visuals.

• ULYXX

The 20th Century Fox logo looked nice at least. 🙂 I kid, I kid. I agree with your comment about the gamplay. Im usually a sucker for cooperative games and hope they pull it off well. In my opinion the game looks like it has a mixed bag of it looking impressive even for DX9, but and then some of it looked unfinished. I hope thats the case and they finessed it for release.

• michael_d

XP? DX9? Seems like it could be a good game in 2005.

• Laykun

I like how none of it. Especially the dub step.

• thesmileman

Whats up with all the jagged edges in your promotional video? looks like you forgot to turn on anti-aliasing.

• The Dark One

Seeing this just makes me wish for the cancelled Aliens RPG Obsidian was making even more.

• Duck

Looks like some boring, repetitive, clichéd drivel…

• odizzido

Looks like it’s going to be another shooter where everything feels like you’re moving through molasses.

Deadspace2 was the same. It’s hard to feel terror when everything moves so slow and predictably that the game just becomes a shooting gallery.

I don’t think there will be a game any time soon that will give me the same sense of terror that I got from AVP1. In that game, aliens were climbing everywhere, were fast, deadly and the controls were perfectly responsive so you were just fighting the aliens and trying to survive. You didn’t have to fight terrible mouse code, like I am pretty sure you will in the new one.

Oh well, in a year after release it will be on sale for $5 and I will get it then.

• Arclight

The player models look as if this was a free to play game. What took them so long to release? Anyways, hopefully the gameplay will be entertaining………

• clone

the most cliched, uninspired, poorly scripted, cheesy, weak ass, miscast voice over work I’ve ever heard…. .oh yeah and while the game may be great the gfx are dated.

• HisDivineOrder

I’m just not feeling it. The whole point of Aliens at the end was that all the Xenos on the planet were caught in the blast. This feels like a retcon of extreme magnitude. Plus, Hicks never had a chance to send that message. He was practically unconscious by the time he got back to the dropship and definitely out cold when he got to the Sulaco.

If anything, it would have been Bishop sending that message.

Graphics are poor. I mean, really bad. The trailer looks like it’s for a game that was rushed out the door. Still, I know for a fact it’s been under development for years and years, so… perhaps it was a rework at a late stage and this is what they could crap out. I don’t know. This is one I’ll pick up during a Steam sale for like $10 and not complain too much since it was $10.

EDIT:

And the voice acting is horrible. I mean, I haven’t heard a game so poorly voice acted since… Duke Nukem. In fact, is the guy narrating how bad ass they are in the second trailer the guy who played Duke Nukem or is he just doing a bad impression of Duke Nukem doing a bad impression of Bruce Campbell doing a decent impression of Sarge from Aliens?

• DrCR

Bruce Campbell – I know that name exclusively from Tachyon: The Fringe. That’s one game I’d love to see a proper remake of.

• superjawes

Your limited knowledge of Bruce makes me cry a little.

• lilbuddhaman

Don’t you dare bad mouth Bruce Campbell.

• PrincipalSkinner

Dated graphics once more. Hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.

• sweatshopking

people still like the “aliens” franchise?

• Silus

Kinda of. To me it peaked with AvP 2 which is one of my favorite games ever in that universe. The way it ended it should have a sequel though…

Still, I’m sort of interested in colonial marines. I doubt I’ll buy it on release though.

• FranzVonPapen

Amen to that. AvP2 was one of the most enjoyable FPS I’ve ever played, despite the buggy netcode.

All three playable races were a blast to use while being totally different in attack style.

• chuckula

GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!