New Skyrim DLC is available for pre-purchase

Sick of Skyrim yet? Hopefully not, because Bethesda is about to unleash its latest slice of downloadable content for the game—and you can already pre-purchase it on Steam. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Dragonborn will set you back $19.99 and is set to unlock on February 5. If I’m reading the countdown right, the unlock time is 2:00 PM Eastern or 1:00 PM Central.

In Dragonborn, players will venture beyond Skyrim and travel to Solstheim, an island just off the coast of Morrowind. (Here’s a map for your reference.) The place is apparently full of Dark Elves and some native Nords called the Skaal—not to mention “new dungeons, creatures, weapons, and more.” Bethesda also promises new shouts that will let you “bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons.” Oh, and judging by the screenshots, the Dark Lord Cthulhu himself will make an appearance… unless I’m misinterpreting one of Bethesda’s character designs.

Anyway, considering the add-on costs a third of the full game’s price, I hope there’s a decent number of gameplay hours packed in there. At the very least, though, this ought to be more exciting than the Hearthfire DLC.

• NeelyCam

I just put $25 to my PSN wallet for this. Waiting not-so-patiently…

• CaptTomato

On PC, FO3/NVegas and Skyrim{fully patched} aren’t buggy….at least for me with 100% windows comp PC.

• ish718

Skyrim= overrated

• CaptTomato

Nonsense.
      One of the best games ever made.

• NeelyCam

I approve this message.

• Kaleid

They really need to start making something to the combat, as it could be vastly improved.

• brucethemoose

I haven’t gotten into the morrowind expansions yet, but the Shivering Isles was easily the best and most expansive DLC I’ve had the pleasure of playing.

I’ll be surprised if they meet that bar.

• HisDivineOrder

Cthulhu, you so crazy.

• crsh1976

Hrm, pre-ordering a DLC?

• Arclight

I’m really digging the music.

• wintermane666

Spoiled content is worth alot less then NEW content and thats the cold hard cash fact devs have to deal with.

I wont pay alot for spoiled games or dlc just wait it out till its cheap.

• HisDivineOrder

Yeah, I got the other DLC’s on sale from Steam for a pittance compared to what they want full price. I think I’ll wait for more of that because they gave me the DLC later than Xbox.

But you know who I really feel bad for? The PS3 players who’ve waited and are still waiting until Feb to get any DLC. And you know they’re going to charge them full price, you just know it…

• Silus

No, PS3 players are getting a 50% discount on all DLCs, including Dragonborn…when they get them in Feb. It was the least Bethesda could do….Actually they should’ve done much better for PS3. Hearthfire should be free, Dawnguard 75% off and Dragonborn 50% off.

But it’s with Dragonborn that the problem lies, since both PS3 waited as much as the PC to get it, yet only the PS3 gets a discount. The PC might not get a 50% discount, but it should at least get a 20-25% one for something released two months later…

• Price0331

I’m exited. This DLC looks like a for real expansion, like shivering ilses, in that you have a whole island to explore. I never got around to Bloodmoon much in Morrowind, so this will be all new to me. $20 might be steep for some, but I got tons of hours out of Dawnguard, and this looks like a better amount of content. But yeah, the exclusivity sucks, and Bethesda has gotten a lot of flack for it, so maybe they will hold off on doing that anymore now that the contract is supposedly up.

• moose17145

I will just do what I did with oblivion. Wait till the game and all the DLC / expansions / whatever can all be had in a game of the year edition for 20 dollars or less. I just bought Oblivion again this christmas. Paid $6.25 on steam for the game of the year deluxe omg roflcopter edition. Prior to that I paid 20 dollars while I was in training for the army for the game of the year edition at the PX (sucks that I misplaced the game disc while moving).

That being said… I still hate how everything is going away from CD/DVD and how games want you to have a internet connection just to launch the game even if it’s a single player game. Seriously… not all of us have internet all the time. In fact the times I usually have time to play a game and want to play a computer game are the times I do not have internet access. As a result many of the games I play are from 2003 – 2007 typically because they don’t require me to have internet to play them / launch them. That also means I haven’t purchased any new games since about 2009. Last game I bought was BF3 in the hope it would live up to BF2. Man what a disappointment that was… I think I only played about 5 hours of the game before I just could not stand it anymore.

• Bensam123

You didn’t think that you were the only one?

They definitely could’ve made him look a bit more exciting. At least deck him out in a awesome version of dragonbone…

In other news, still surprised a video for Cyberpunk 2077 hasn’t hit the front page…

• Silus

Let’s not forget the piss poor job Bethesda has been doing with the DLCs for Skyrim. They pissed off the PC crowd with timed exclusivity deals with Microsoft and above all the PS3 crowd that were greeted with 8 months of nothing and a vanilla game that barely worked.

But now, they are giving PS3 users a discount for ALL DLCs that should be released in February, but for Dragonborn particularly, PS3 users waited as much as PC users, yet PC users are expected to pay full price…They waited 2 months, were spoiled to death by Xbox players (the VIP customers for Bethesda) and now they are expected to pay full price….Yeah Bethesda, you can keep your DLC and shove it you know where…

THIS type of behavior by companies like Bethesda is exactly what makes PC Games what they are today i.e. for the most part, crappy console ports. But as usual most of the people that complained about this, will probably buy the DLC at full price anyway and thus sending Bethesda the message that they can keep doing this all they want….which is sad, since in the end, PC players, instead of voting with their wallets, are being part of the problem…

• odizzido

It is a shame more people don’t stand up to these companies. They just get pushed into the mud and beg for more.

• lilbuddhaman

Eh…Skyrim on PC has modding, which is supported quite well through Steam. The downside is that they add misc engine features that a normal modder can’t make in each DLC pack, which means to use the better mods, you need the DLC’s…

..but there are plenty of vanilla-only mods that add quite a bit of content.

They’re fools to be trying charge a PC user $20 for anything short of a full-on expansion pack.

• RandomGamer342

Except the modding kit was released a couple of months too late, doesn’t save files in the actual official format, doesn’t have proper debugging messages, is ridiculously unstable, and isn’t actually able to do a lot of things.

To use the creation kit properly, you need an unofficial enchantment modification, and most likely the SKyrim Script Extender(if you intend to do anything decent in it, really)

Bethesda’s insistence on steam workshop integration led to the few months of delay, following a rushed release and a splitting of the modding community. I can understand how workshop is a good idea, but it has no place in a scene like bethesda games where conflicts between mods and stupid bugs are commonplace, especially when the tools contribute to half the problems.

The double whammy of the delay and split pretty much killed off a part of the modding scene. Currently, the mods can be categorised by the ones that don’t need the CK(model/mesh changes), shitty mods cobbled together with makeshift tools pre-CK(moonpaths to Elswyr comes to mind), mods relying on external plugins(SkyUI with SKSE dependency, which was made long before the CK), mods that fix bugs, and terrible mods made using the CK.

Most mods were made before the creation kit using stuff the community made, and the release of it hasn’t led to much more than bugfixes and shovelware mods(giant mudcrab etc)

Where’s the massive overhauls changing most of the game for the better? The super-polished 30 hour+ questlines in their own worlds that could substitute DLC? The really clever puzzle quests(puce moose, anyone?) and action filled missions?

This time the modding community had to make the modding tools, not just the game, better than bethesda managed. What’s left of it.

• Deo Domuique

Interesting info pal… Even I, that I wasn’t in the Skyrim’s mood until recently ( I’m patient ’cause I hate semi-baked games ), I could understand something truly messy is going on. Your message has put the $hit together for me.

From the first time, I was trying to find only essential mods that improve the game, like SkyUI. I haven’t even think about mods that extend the game and its action, yet. Still in search for a mod that makes the quests better organised. Now I see 30 quests one above the other, and some times it seems so messy that it discourages me!

And I don’t understand why Esbern is still buggy… Main-line quest character…

• Silus

So mods that people OTHER THAN Bethesda make i.e. people that make no money out of their modding work (for the most part), somehow excuse Bethesda for treating part of their fanbase as second class customers ?

• NeXus 6

With Steam sales more gamers are starting to wait for 50-75% off. As for Bethesda, you get a lot of value out their Elder Scrolls games so complaining about the price seems a bit unwarranted.

• Silus

If you had read my entire post, you would understand that I complained about much more than just the price.
        It’s about the second rate treatment that Bethesda is partaking with part of their fanbase with the DLCs for Skyrim.

I’ve bought games that I thought were a bit overpriced, but wanted to support the developers because they made a great game.
        But I cannot in any possible way, support a company that treats part of their fanbase so poorly, not only by prioritizing just one platform in detriment of others, but also by not being forthcoming and actually communicate their intentions.
        Actually they lied quite a few times in all this debacle, especially to PS3 players, that they were working on Hearthfire and Dawnguard which are still MIA, to come out a couple of months later to say that they stopped working on Hearthfire and Dawnguard to work on Dragonborn.

How incompetent can Bethesda be to not even be able to add such crappy content as Hearthfire, which is nothing more than a few new materials for house building and adoption dialogue options to Skyrim ? It’s ridiculous.

Everything changed with Dragonborn, because it was no longer about just the Microsoft deal and the timed Xbox 360 exclusivity, since Bethesda delayed the PC version in order to not make the PS3 players left out even more than they already were. But at least PS3 players are getting a deserved discount on all DLCs. The PC however, waited as much for Dragonborn as the PS3, yet is expected to pay full price….second rate customer, spoiled to death by Xboxers and is offered the same price as Xboxers got 2 months ago, even more so considering how buggy Bethesda games are ? No thanks.
        To buy this DLC at full price for the PC, is supporting behavior like this. It’s acknowledging and supporting such incompetence and second rate treatment that I simply cannot tolerate.

• NeXus 6

They aren’t forcing us to buy the DLC. I waited for Dawnguard to drop down in price and skipped Hearthfire.

I can agree with the console BS but that’s where the money is. Voting with your wallet does no good because us PC gamers are low man on the totem pole.

• Deo Domuique

I’ve been wondering about our behavior for long time… Why we keep doing this? Eventually, I’m pretty sure, not just we can’t win, but we can’t even fight it. Corps like Bethesda and EA DICE keep treating us like… But we still keep buying.

This is how we lost the “right” for a properly released game ( without one ton of bugs to meet deadlines set by their investors ), long time ago. Now, if you see what EA DICE actually did on BF3, you’ll understand we’re going to lose even the after-sale support… EA DICE for instance, they haven’t release a single real patch, with true bug fixes. Only balance adjustments so far, which means, they played with numbers on a .txt file for half an hour with their coffees; and even these came untested! You know, patches require time and bring no money. On the other hand, BF4 and fast-made DLCs bring/will keep bringing. Since people keep paying a lot for their “premium” services, why EA DICE should waste time fixing the game?

Sigh!… In short, I don’t understand why are we so tolerant towards their broken games? What else do you buy unfinished in this world? Do you buy a semi-baked bread? A semi-finished car? An unfinished toy for your kids? A game in order to be released, it should be truly polished. Unfortunately, a semi-baked game became the norm…

Meanwhile, Bethesda’s games are the most buggy you can ever find. Second comes EA DICE. Their ideas are nice, but their abilities to implement them… I think incompetence is included, too.

P.S. Once EA DICE’s PR guy said, “this is business” -meaning this is the right way to do business, in order to appeal of course at their investors… Not a word about the customer! Not a single word! I couldn’t believe how and why he tweeted that. Perhaps he was a bit drunk, I don’t know.

• Silus

Some of us do not do it, but unfortunately the majority does. That majority is like a drug addict that needs its fix and until it’s released, he/she complains about not having it yet…but when it is finally released, they just forget about all the problems that the company releasing it, caused.

This is one of the causes for PC Gaming in such a poor shape, since if PC Players actually showed these companies that they do not tolerate such behavior (by not buying the games, at least not a full price), then things might change. These companies care about their bottom line and nothing else. If that bottom line is hurt, then it might give them the reason to improve.

Some like to argue that that might also lead to companies dropping PC development altogether, to which I reply. I’d rather have 1 company focused on PC Gaming, than 10 giving me console ports.

• NeXus 6

This is nothing new. Console gamers are just as guilty if not worse than PC gamers. It’s pretty much expected these days for a game to be a beta version when released. PC version usually gets the shaft because it’s not a huge revenue generator.

Don’t look for much improvement. This has been going on since the dawn of PC games. It got worse when money was the sole driver for making them. I single out EA and Activision, but feel free to add your own to the list.

Indie games and Kickstarter projects might be the future for PC gaming. Those companies really care about the games they make and the gamers that support them.

• Aveon

Whoa ! 20 bucks to ride a dragon and re-live the life of Dovakhinn. That’s a little too much 🙂

I hope they add a shout to activate nude mod 😛