New 3DMark released for Windows

After a lengthy delay, the next version of 3DMark is finally out for Windows. Folks eager to make their PCs sweat can download it here from Futuremark’s website. The benchmark is available in three flavors: a free Basic Edition, a more flexible Advanced Edition priced at $24.95, and an outrageously priced ($995) Professional Edition that’s "licensed for business use" and supports "command line automation," among other features.

Part of the appeal of the new 3DMark is cross-platform support. That’s not on the menu quite yet, though. Right now, only the x86 Windows version is available; Windows RT, iOS, and Android releases are scheduled to follow "soon." Futuremark said on that topic last Thursday, "We are aiming for a short gap between releases, think weeks rather than months."

Well, there’s plenty to keep geeks busy for now, in any case. There are new benchmark scenes with state-of-the-art eye candy (supporting DirectX 9, 10, and 11 hardware), plus an interactive graphing feature that plots frames per second, CPU power and speed, and CPU and GPU temperatures over time. Too bad there doesn’t seem to be any support for tracking frame latencies.

• DeadOfKnight

I want to see 3DMark running on game consoles.

• Krogoth

People still pay for tech demos that do nothing but pump out silly epenis scores?

I’m surprised that Futuremark is still floating.

• provoko

LOL @ $24.95

Just play any game running FRAPS.

• Meadows

Remember kids, Ice Storm is the tablet benchmark, Cloud Gate is the notebook or “home PC” benchmark, and Fire Strike is the actual gaming PC benchmark.

[b<]You do not need to run all benchmarks.[/b<] You can get 200,000 points in Ice Storm and it will mean nothing if Fire Strike still runs with 9 fps.

• Firestarter

[quote<]You do not need to run all benchmarks.[/quote<] Only if you pay for that privilege. Us plebs who don't spend a dime on silly graphical demos with numbers attached can only run all benchmarks AND demos.

• Meadows

Well that’s uncomfortable. Regardless, all scores are meaningless except the last one you get.

• Firestarter

> except the last one

Yup, and to pay for your insolence you have to suffer through all the rest of it unless you pay up!

• tootercomputer

I finally downloaded from Major Geeks (go to this page a wait a few seconds, the file will appear for download (don’t hit the download for a free scan):

[url<]http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=8126&file=15&evp=e3dfd361a19cccf826e5921a4613661e[/url<] This is a terrific 3dMark, great eye candy. Best 3dMark in quite a while IMHO.

• anotherengineer

So does windows include 98se? I want to bench this ati rage pro IIc AGP 1x with 4 MB of ram

• Meadows

That’s the kind of sparks Hawken should’ve gotten.

• vargis14

Well i downloaded the free version and benched my 560ti SLI @ 950core 2400mem and 2600k cpu @ 4.4ghz.

1st off it ran of only 1 gpu..second firestorm super stressful, Very choppy and very hard to see any detail of the fight @ maybe 10fps average. Some thing tells me firestorm xtreem is going to run slow on any single video card since I ran the basic firestorm and it crippled a single 560ti.

Also it did not give me a score.

Anyone else try it with more powerful GPUs?

• thecoldanddarkone

Yea I just ran the basic test. Fire Strike was, brutal. Like stab the heart brutal. i7 3820 @ 4.3/ gtx 560 ti stock (comparable with yours in single card config)

Icestorm

3136
      Physics Score
      10874
      Combined Score
      1129

• Firestarter

I guess Fire Strike is very heavy on the GPU. My 2500K at 4.3 and 7950 at 1100/1600 got this in Fire Strike:

3DMark Score 6972
        3DMarks Graphics Score 8035
        Physics Score 7860
        Combined Score 3226

• geekl33tgamer

Fire Strike didn’t complete for me (I got no score neither)…

I downloaded the free copy and watched. The first set of game benches were 800+ FPS (!), the 2nd game was hovering over 170 FPS most of the time. Last one = Slideshow (a very pretty one!) at 1-4 FPS only. I don’t regard my rig as exactly “low end” neither?

Still laughed that it crashed and invoked AMD’s VPU Recovery mode. Oopsie.

(Specs: ‘Dozer FX-8150 @4.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, 2 x MSI Radeon 6950 2GB, X-Fire Enabled)

• jihadjoe

The first two games are very CPU limited, then the last game is very GPU limited.
        Here’s my Q6600 @ 3.0 + GTX670
        [url<]http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/99079[/url<] Ice Storm: Score: 86665 Graphics Score: 131428 Physics Score: 39536 Cloud Gate: Score: 11642 Graphics Score: 44353 Physics Score: 3251 Fire Strike: Score: 5329 Graphics Score: 6487 Physics Score: 4812 Combined Score: 2449

• bfar

Some pretty tech demos, and always a fun challenge for extreme overclocker types who like to show off their latest scores.

I’m not sure how much practical use it is really though. Maybe if they’ve improved the ORB reporting tools? That could be a very useful database if only they made it a little easier to get the information out of it. The asking price is a little steep; I’d pay a fiver or not at all.

• Prestige Worldwide

Completely agree. 3dmark is useless to me in practical terms. All I care about is how well my rig performs in the games I’ll actually play, and I look to TR and other websites who detail such practical data in their reviews.

• Sam125

Overclocking got to the point where 3DMark scores were becoming pretty ridiculous due to the nature of the machines being built. I remember one rig being overclocked and cooled with liquid helium which lasted only long enough for one pass of 3DMark before boiling away. Legitimate? Yes. Realistic? No.

• uni-mitation

Enthusiast is defined as someone with an ardent zeal for a particular pursuit.

This is a site for hardware enthusiasts, fair enough. Who in their right mind would pay for a benchmark program?? Do we have some people that are so desperate and low in self-esteem that they would actually pay for this?? lol

I just couldn’t resist.

• tootercomputer

I totally hate the games they play in these downloads. It takes about five clicks to finally find the right download and not download a totally different program. I know these folks need to advertise, but it’s still a lot of BS.

• willmore

Look again, it seems you just did a web virus scan! Ha-haw! Try again.

• Firestarter

You can download it through steam, much better bandwidth than all the other options, too. I tried downloading it yesterday but non of the ad-ridden download sites where you had to look very carefully not to click the wrong button had more than 500kb/s to offer (and Steam didn’t work). Tried again today with Steam and got it quick like.

You can never remove it from your Steam library and mine is already way too cluttered.

Sorting, groupings and “favourites” aren’t synced proplerly between machines all using the same Steam account so that’s a bit of an arse as well.

• JustAnEngineer

3DMark installs under the “Software” tab instead of the “Games” tab in your Steam library. How many “Software” titles do you have through Steam?

• Prion

I still can’t stop laughing at this: [url<]http://steamcommunity.com/stats/3DMark/achievements[/url<]

• willmore

I actually LOL’ed.

• Meadows

Cool! Finally we can play 3DMark!

• mganai

Finally! An excuse for an Extreme processor. 😛

• Firestarter

I got BRAWN! Apparently, an HD7950 is too much GPU for a 2500K to handle.

• geekl33tgamer

Heh, and 2 6950’s are *apparently* too much for an FX-8150* too…

(No one say ANYTHING)… 😉

*Think I might change my processor, ngl…

• Meadows

I’m seriously considering an FX-8350 as we speak, and I keep having to tell myself to wait more because a new (even better) stepping is on the way.

I will probably break by March if we don’t get an update on the next stepping by then.

• Krogoth

/sisko_facepalm.gif

• bitcat70

Hah! If it had frame latency tracking it would be a first!

• Bensam123

How helpful would variance be if the demos are running at 6-9fps? How much meaning would it have in a experience players can’t even control?

I don’t think the purpose of benchmarks like this are to offer a clean playing experience as you don’t play them. It’s simply made to test the bandwidth of your hardware. That’s probably why they offer scores instead of average FPS as well. For all we know it could be taking into account frame latency.