Big retailers sign up to sell Ouya game console

Remember that Kickstarted Ouya game console? The $100 device features Nvidia’s Tegra 3 processor, Google’s Android OS, a custom controller with dual analog sticks, and the promise of loads of indie games. Over 63,000 people backed the console on the crowdfunding site, and those folks will get hardware starting in March. Don’t worry if you missed out, though. Ouya has inked distribution deals with big-time retailers, including Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop. Those vendors will start shipping the console in June, according to the Wall Street Journal, and Amazon has a pre-order page already.

If everything works out as planned, Ouya will have gone from Kickstarter project to widely available retail product in less than a year. It’s easy to see why there’s been so much interest. The console is supposed to be easy to root and hack, and XBMC has pledged to support it. For $100, you’re getting a game console and a media device.

The Ouya’s success as a game console will ultimately depend on whether developers embrace it. The list of upcoming games compiled on the Ouya forums looks pretty substantial, although it’s definitely short on recognizable titles. That’s sort of the point, I suppose. The Ouya is designed to shake up the console market by making it easy for smaller developers to create and distribute games.

Let’s hope there’s a good mechanism for sorting the higher-quality titles from the rest of the fray. The sorts of consumers who might consider buying this thing at Target probably have a different set of expectations than the folks who signed up to fund its development. It will be very interesting to see whether the Ouya can make the jump from Kickstarter darling to mainstream success.

• Building dreams

Im not saying there isn’t a market here, or that this doesn’t have it’s place. All I’m saying is that there are Gamers, then there are the rest. Even Roku has a “game” console now! of course I don’t play angry birds, but I do like to stream netflix in HD. You of all people will agree that this will not Satisfy you. and I’m sure it’s not meant to. Nvidia is the premier Chip manufacturer of performance vid for the industry, and while this unit will no doubt be bitch slapped by X-Box and the PS3 when it comes to performance, it will inevitably carve out a niche in the market for three reasons. 1. Price 2. portability and 3. availability And when I say availability I refer to the media upon it or through it. See while Sony and Microsoft have been getting into bed with their media providers attempting to monopolize the coveted attractions, Nvidia has been conspiring with these entities behind the closed doors of development meetings. While Sony and Microsoft have been endowing their systems with propitiatory software’s and license agreements protecting their way of life, Nvidia has been duping them into a false sense of security, all the while providing the necessary hardware to make their little game systems sing. Then they release a non threatening little cube. This thing can’t take the lime light away from Sony or Microsoft. Not yet and I’ll tell you why. because then thy will get wise. That’s right they will suspect that something is awry with their friend and partner Nvidia. They will become threatened, and retaliate. That is why I am sure while this system will be “cool” it will not meet my demands as a Gamer. But oh wait I haven’t even gotten to the good part! did you know about the Titan Cray XK47 ? in case you didn’t it just happens to contain Nvidia hardware as it’s core components. Also it is the fastest system in the world! but i stray from the commentary, that is the key Microsoft and Sony own the Gaming market, outright at this time. and that is big, to big to let their hardware supplier ruin it. but the day is neigh! First Nvidia unveils this cute UN-threatening cube, next the mass market of gamers realize that even though this system does not have the oomph they have come tho depend upon from Nvidia, that we know as FPS, They will see the unconventional titles and non mainstream productions available to them and indulge in a cornucopia of altruistic imaginary bliss within the games never before seen. Rockstar, U-Soft, EA, and the like will weep in shame for their sins in the beds of Microsoft and Sony. Then after this incredulous and ambiguous little cube shatters the the dogma of the mainstream gaming clique of developers/platforms Nvidia will strike in all their Glory! Let me give you a brief glimpse of the future, X-Box and Sony take huge losses as Nvidia releases their Real Game Console to the mainstream market after years of development based upon the cute little cube. All those tiny little games you loved on the cube have themselves been exulted to the status of lords and ladies within Nvidia’s court of affairs. the thousand year reign through Nvidia’s monopoly of both hardware and software has begun. First hit are all the hardware manufacturers, from Acer to Zotac. the real A to Z, any not willing to meet Nvidia’s demands are banished from the realm(no more production) then Nvidia now Married to Linux launches it’s attack upon the software domains and strongholds of this new world. Bill Gates Unable to sell his wares to his hardware sluts, due to Official Nvidia embargoes, takes his own life,First as his character in second life, Then with a pistol in his office, so as not to leave any loose strings. Apple, YES APPLE ( because every product apple creates is dependent upon Nvidia’s chips) cannot debut any newer versions of the wonderful little items Steve Jobs horded from the open-ware arena, slowly fades away into nonexistence as their loyal followers slowly die off one by one from” lack of agreeing ” withdrawals. At this point the Government attempts to intervene in the may-lay trying to do what it does best. Break down the monopoly’s it cannot directly control from within. This is when Nvidia reveals their best kept secret. Have you ever been playing a game and your display goes black for a couple seconds? Shazam! Pop! Bang! there it is Nvidia was running a test of their EDP (End of Days Protocol) They can shut down the Chips remotely! Embedded within every chip Nvidia ever created is a self destruct mechanism. Needless to say since the Government needs Tech they fold like a warm sheet fresh from the dryer. So the only choice to avoid this is to say no to the cube and let me build you a highly portable gaming system, here is my site [url<]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Building-Dreams/113531492018927?ref=hl[/url<] Building Dreams Nothing is impossible if you can dream it, It can be done. Just to be clear There is no EDP and I really posted this to be funny Hopefully Nvidia will succeed as I am an avid supporter of their products. besides it's about time they got a foot in the door in this arena under their own name for a change.

• yogibbear

I’m a backer 🙂 will let you guys know if it’s any good.

• jss21382

I’m eagerly awaiting my kickstarter version, ordered solely based on the xbmc support.

• Deanjo

I imagine a large chunk of the sales are solely because of that reason. The gaming aspect is more of a fringe benefit.

• indeego

The biggest thing this can change is every other game console getting complacent. We have never had fiercer competition for platforms before in gaming, and it’s apparently getting better and better.

I think we’ll see Steam, in the next few years, just offer 1000+ games from 2005 or earlier, for say $99. And so on. Why not? They earn more money on the interest from that money than it costs to market all of them to new users. And not everyone will be able to even play all those games, or use up tremendous bandwidth.

Good times.

Sadly, I don’t play games much anymore, why am I even here? 😕

• Bensam123

“The sorts of consumers who might consider buying this thing at Target probably have a different set of expectations than the folks who signed up to fund its development. ”

This. I think there is a pretty big separation between what is a neat idea and what is a fully supported product with easy to access and available content for consumption. I’m pretty sure people would rather have a Roku then this for media consumption… So that leaves it up to it’s games to make up for it…

And while there are some good indie titles… I think people really do hype up that category way too much. There definitely aren’t enough good titles for this to replace a console or a PC in the average gamers home. This seems more like the hipsters console (who doesn’t even play games).

• Deanjo

[quote<]I'm pretty sure people would rather have a Roku then this for media consumption... [/quote<] Only if they were completely ignorant on what the Ouya's capabilities were.

• Bensam123

You’re talking about the average consumer… and the average consumer doesn’t care. They just want something that works and they can play whatever they want on it.

Don’t just rate someone down the moment you reply to them because you disagree… that’s awfully petty.

• albundy

i ended up getting a micro USB to HDMI cable for my phone to the tv and used a ps3 bt controller for gaming. cost me about $10 for the controller and otg cable. kinda hard to justify losing a c-note for a box that does pretty much the same.

• d2brothe

No, its pretty easy, I’d much prefer a device that sits on my tv stand than hooking my phone up every time. Not to mention the cost of the phone. Also, does that work? I wouldn’t think it would play the same games?

• albundy

ok, tablet then. i dont see why it would make any difference. you have to charge the device anyway, so you gotta plug it in somewhere. i learned how to do it from a few youtube videos and thought it was pretty neat.

• Firestarter

Why would you have to charge the Ouya? It’d be hooked up and tucked into a corner and [i<]just work[/i<].

• lilbuddhaman

I backed this on Kickstarter, and plan on making it a streaming box to replace a full-sized asus laptop. If any exclusive games or whatnot come out to go along with it, “Yay”, but i’m not expecting much.

I heard about Splashtop2 yesterday (think onlive or nvidia shield), so i’ll probably be spending more time using my tv for emulation and some of the more casual titles I own.

Worth it? Maybe.

• ronch

At $100, this new console seems like a steal. I hope the Ouya store will be properly regulated and not have a bunch of crappy games, but I suppose any console has its share of those.

It’s open and you can side-load stuff from anywhere. It’s going to have all the crappy games available. All of them.

• ULYXX

Isnt one of the boasts of Ouya is that anyone can develop games for it? You can expect a lot of eccentric games at least

• Mat3

If Steam’s Greenlight program is anything to go by, it’ll be flooded with crap… though with some decent or better stuff here and there.

• gmskking

Meh

• ronch

That’s what the Apple sheep say! 😛

• ludi

Would those be “shapple?”

• ronch

iSheep.

• jdaven

With all the potential contenders (Apple TV w/ iOS, Ouya, Steam Box, PC SFF, etc.), the console market is getting pretty crowded. I think either the market will dissolve the console name and everything will become internet connected devices or one of the big 3 (Nintendo, MS, Sony) will exit the ‘console’ market officially with the new contenders fighting over the scraps of the departure.

• Price0331

Of the three, I think Nintendo will be here to stay for some time, as they are the only ones that offer an actually unique experience with their games. You won’t see Zelda, or Mario ported to PC anytime soon, while most Xbox 360 and PS3 games are regularly ported.

• Deanjo

The products that this will really hurt are the Apple TV’s, WD Live players, Rokus, Boxee Boxes, GoogleTV boxes etc more then game consoles.

• MadManOriginal

Yup. XBMC is 10x better than the junk the other set-top box makers put on their systems. Sucks to be them! They’ll either have to move down to ~$50 or try to compete by improving their hardware and software.

• Firestarter

I don’t see this competing with Steam Box, an SSF or the XBOX/PS3, it’s lower budget and more casually oriented.

• superjawes

Unless this can play “AAA” games, it will not compete with Nindendos, Xboxes, Playstations, or Steamboxes.

Now if it can offer streaming support and some gaming, then it might just grind out streaming-only boxes completely.

Apple has repeatedly porked the puppy by skipping out on games on the ATV. I don’t get why they’re allergic to money in THIS way but not all the others.

• RickyTick

It’s my understanding that it does not stream Netflix or Hulu. That could be a big issue. My kids spend more time on Netflix than they do playing games.

• Deanjo

Since it runs android both Hulu and Netflix should be available for it.

• sweatshopking

with all their bugs and crashes!

• Deanjo

You must be thinking of the Windows silverlight version. I haven’t seen them crash once on the Apple TV or on my Android devices.

• sweatshopking

i have REPEATED crashes on android. the slider thing causes issues constantly, and often won’t display video after you use it. videos often don’t work. i’m sure it works fine on your apple tv, but android is awful. it works beautifully in metro as well.

• Deanjo

Might be device specific then. Like I said before, stable as hell on my android devices.

• RickyTick

Looking at Ouya’s website, it doesn’t mention Netflix or Hulu as a feature. Of course that doesn’t mean that it can’t run these services at some point down the road. I’m sure there’s licensing agreements or something in the way. The Wii didn’t have Netflix at first either.

I just think Netflix is a Must-Have on any kind of entertainment device these days.

• Deanjo

The existing android Netflix app should work already.

[quote<]For now, you can install non-Ouya .apk files via adb. There is no need to mess with the AndroidManifest.xml for non-Ouya applications. I'm not sure how long the option will be available. I hope forever! When you have your device connect via adb just type 'adb install myAppName.apk'. These applications will not show up in the Games menu, but under Software in the Dev menu. I'm watching Netflix on the Ouya right now. Good luck![/quote<]

• RickyTick