OCZ bundles Far Cry 3 with Vector SSDs

It’s game bundle season—again. On the heels of AMD, which kicked off its Never Settle Reloaded promotion this weekend, OCZ has started offering free copies of Far Cry 3 with some of its Vector solid-state drives.

Details of the OCZ offer, along with the entry form, can be found here on the company’s website. Only 256GB and 512GB Vector drives are eligible, and customers may only redeem a maximum of two Far Cry 3 download codes (with two or more Vector drives purchased). The download codes must be used before July 14. Oh, and the offer is open in all locales except for Africa and China.

Signing up looks easy enough. Just fill in your name, e-mail address, country of residence, and a few details about the Vector model you purchased. (OCZ wants to know the serial number, where you bought the drive, and the license key for the bundled copy of Acronis True Image.) There’s a captcha, too, but fret not—it’s actually readable.

Far Cry 3 has just passed its two-month release anniversary and still sells for $49.99 on Steam. OCZ’s eligible Vector SSDs, for reference, are priced at $248.99 and $569.99 for 256GB and 512GB capacities, respectively. Considering the Vector is one of the fastest drives we’ve tested, that’s not such a bad deal.

• Forge

If these redemption codes work as well as the ones Ubi was handing out before the holidays, don’t count on getting any games. I have a useless card on my desk that claims to give me Assassin’s Creed III with my GeForce 660 Ti. Ubi says it’s no good.

• Disco

Sorry I’m a bit late to this discussion. I had the same problem when I tried to redeem my FarCry3 code on the Ubi Uplay store. I contacted their customer service (which got back to me within 1 day!) and they pointed me to a different online store. Here’s what they wrote exactly, because the difference is subtle…

“You will need to purchase the item from the Uplay Shop and not Uplay PC. Make sure to use this link:

[url<]http://shop.ubi.com/amdfarcry[/url<]" It turns out I was trying to redeem on the Uplay PC shop. Anyways, I still had to set up an account for the download to work. But everything was fine. I hope this helps you out. I'll send this as a PM to make sure you get it.

• Forge

Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the PM. I was actually on the earlier promo for Assassin’s Creed III, not Far Cry 3. I adapted your instruction and still am told my code is invalid. I’m glad Ubi was able to help you out, they told me back in December that since my code was invalid I was not going to receive anything, and that I shouldn’t contact their support since I wasn’t a paying customer.

Granted, it was December, but hearing that certainly wasn’t convincing me to hand them any money, either. I’ve still got the code, it just doesn’t work, and it’s a reminder to me, that anything that’s not in the bag at time of purchase may not exist (applies to game bundles, special offers, and mail in rebates).

• Disco

Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve had pretty good record for receiving all my promo offers and mail in rebates. Last year I got two $30 rebates from XFX (one for the 7970 card and one for a power supply) in addition to the games bundle. Sorry that info didn’t work out for you. Maybe it’s because it’s an nVidia promotion? 😉

(i kid…)

• Jon

Anybody else having trouble signing up for Uplay in order to download a copy of the game? I’ve tried in FF and IE and I’m getting “You have entered an invalid information. Please try again.” So I tried signing up through the main page, it’s got a different UI. And I get “Account not created!”

They really don’t want people signing up huh?

• Srsly_Bro

I have the same problem. I have the code for FC3, and when I add it into my cart, and enter the code in the redeem code box, the price stays the same. I tried in FF and IE and had the same issue. I refuse to put my CC info in the billing because the game should be free! The free games was the only reason I bought a 7950, and one of the games I cannot play. I emailed AMD support, so we’ll see how it goes.

I created the account, but I can’t redeem the code. If you make up a number to put in the code box, it says “invalid code”. When I put my “real” code in the box and click redeem, nothing happens. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Ubisoft!

• Disco

Sorry I’m a bit late to this discussion. Here’s the solution. I posted this to Forge’s comment as well.

I had the same problem when I tried to redeem my FarCry3 code on the Ubi online store. I contacted their customer service (which got back to me within 1 day!) and they pointed me to a different online store link. Here’s what they wrote exactly, because the difference is subtle…

[url<]http://shop.ubi.com/amdfarcry[/url<]" It turns out I was trying to redeem on the Uplay PC shop. Anyways, I still had to set up an account for the download to work. But everything was fine. I hope this helps you out. I'll send this as a PM to both of you to make sure you get it.

• Jon

I have two of the OCZ Vector 256GB models configured in a RAID0 array, I’m hitting 1GB/s speeds in sequential tests. It’s pretty ‘fscking’ amazing.

These drives are worth the cost.

• DeadOfKnight

It’s my understanding that the OCZ Vector and Samsung 840 Pro trade blows on performance. For most consumers, which is really the faster drive as far as the performance numbers that would matter more to them?

• indeego

The one with a company that has the better support, long term feasibility, and reliability history. Easy. Samsung.

• 5150

Pretty much this.

• DeadOfKnight

I think Micron blows them both out of the water as far as firmware improvements and $/GB, no?

At least it seemed like that was the case with the last-generation Crucial m4.

• indeego

I guess I would take AAA Aardvark SSSSD Brand with Beta firmware over OCZ at this point. And be totally happy with this decision.

• faramir

Agreed 100%. Never going back to OCZ SSD again.

OCZ won’t even be around to honor the warranties in a couple of years.

• cosminmcm

The Vector.

• thudo

Samsung 840 Pro blows the Vector pretty much clean off on all benchmarks but Vector is quite close. Also, I am not ready yet to trust OCZ just yet as my data is a little too precious to lose. 😉

• Srsly_Bro

I think someone downthumbed you for your last sentence too. Dang OCZ Fanbois.

• TrptJim

I didn’t downvote him, but the last sentence has more to do with not doing proper backups than with OCZ.

• indeego

“pretty much clean off on all benchmarks but Vector is quite close. ”
            What?

• Sabresiberian

Where the Vector beats the 840 Pro is IO consistency; in this case, it provides a significantly better experience over use and time.

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6363/ocz-vector-review-256g[/url<] In my mind, these are the current top drives to choose from. I'd choose Samsung if a record of reliability was more important to you, I'd choose OCZ if I were willing to take what I consider to be a small chance that the Vector turned out to be less reliable and OCZ wasn't around long enough to back up their very nice warranty. Keep in mind, controller issues are not uncommon in the industry, and even Samsung had a problem with the 840 series test units released to review sites. They said no production units made it out with the problems, and I believe them, but still, there is the fact that they almost released drives that could have been DOA. There are other great drives and companies of course.

• thudo

Well I always make backups every other day (yes I am anal) but only important critical data I make creatively. Anyway.. I still would choose Samsung over OCZ right now but yes that can change if good street cred and track record says otherwise. So far haven’t heard any en-mass dead Vector drives which randomly fail on the users.

• uni-mitation

Everyone in the industry is realizing that is better to spend a couple of bucks on giving a bundle with your product than slashing prices.

It will continue on….

• Meadows

God I hope not, slashing prices is the way to go with me.

• BiggieShady

Me too, but our hope is in vain. Extra digital copy of a game costs zero extra dollars to produce, same goes for a million extra digital copies. Consumer pays for traffic and publisher’s hosting servers are already paid and running.

• cosminmcm

Better for them, not for the consumer.

• Srsly_Bro

Since when does the consumer come first with many companies?

• indeego

Business Literature says: ALWAYS. WE BOW TO CONSUMER.
          Business BackRoom says: LOL, Stupid idiots! We make them pay for crack, They so hard to resist!

[s<]fanboi says: I love company X because I invested a few hundred in it and I feel like a tool otherwise![/s<]

• superjawes

Depends. I always thought it made sense with games on video cards because you are presumably buying a video card to play games, and if a card has a game that you want, that’s easily $60+ savings.

Storage….i don’t know. Sure, it’s kind of nice, but I don’t think it’s as nice of a pairing. SSD + HDD bundles might make a bigger splash.