Video shows Chromebook with high-DPI touch screen

An interesting video is making the rounds on gadget sites today. Purportedly the work of ad firm Slinky.me, the clip depicts a Google-designed "Chromebook Pixel" with a high-DPI touch screen. The video was posted on Google+ by developer François Beaufort, who claims the machine has a 2560×1700 display resolution and "is actually tested at Google right now."

Android Authority has some additional background info. The site identifies Beaufort as "the guy who provided the screenshots of the new Notification Center on Chrome OS," and it suggests the video may have been stolen off Slinky.me’s servers by hackers:

Soon after the video hit Google Plus, the clip was taken down, but we were able to snatch a copy. The video description suggested that the clip was made by a company called Slinky.me, whose CEO Victor Koch then took to Google Plus to announce that its servers were attacked by hackers. Attackers than allegedly made several videos of projects that Slinky.me was working on available on YouTube.

I don’t know if this whole thing is a PR stunt by Slinky.me or something else. This isn’t the first time we’ve heard rumors about a Google-designed Chromebook with a touch screen, though. Hmm.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think a high-DPI touch screen is necessarily a good fit for a Chromebook. I mean, most of the web still doesn’t use high-DPI graphics, and web browsing is just about the only thing you can do in Chrome OS. Chrome OS’s user interface also has small icons and menus that might be awkward to poke at with your fingers. Oh, and Google already offers a machine with a high-DPI touch screen—it’s called the Nexus 10.

• moog

This high DPI screen might lure a few more suckers.

Chrome is a poor substitute for Windows. Even Asian tablets have more functionality.

• NeelyCam

You’ll be downvoted for that 8000, just like I always am. Resistance is futile. Americanized Anime is always superior

• willmore

Yes, and that’s why I say it’s 8000.

• d0g_p00p

Thinkpads are far from ugly and the new HP Elitebook Folio’s are pretty much a Macbook Pro clone. Dell’s Envy line and high end Asus laptops are really nice looking machines as well.

• sweatshopking

NOBODY LIKES ANIME.

• Deanjo

[quote<]A lot of people seem to be missing the point of the SteamBox. People seem to have the idea that it's some kind of Linux-powered game console, when that's never been stated -- it's just been assumed.[/quote<] When you are wrong, you are wrong. [url<]http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958162/valve-steam-box-cake[/url<] [quote<][b<]Newell confirmed[/b<] to us that Valve would be making its own Steam Box: a Better box, [b<]based on the Linux operating system[/b<], with a recipe it hopes others will borrow.[/quote<] Also it was confirmed long before the regular media sites got hold of it over at Phoronix.

• auxy

WHAT?! NINE THOUSAND?

• auxy

A lot of people seem to be missing the point of the SteamBox. People seem to have the idea that it’s some kind of Linux-powered game console, when that’s never been stated — it’s just been assumed. I’m quite certain the SteamBox is simply going to be a wired version of Nvidia’s Shield idea — a set-top box with a native Steam interface that streams the gameplay from elsewhere.

If you look at the specifications of the so-called SteamBoxes so far revealed, they’re hardly suited for playing games themselves.

• Bensam123

Hey look a touchscreen attached to a laptop!

Now if only they did this with netbooks and made it swivel over on itself…

• Deanjo

Chrome OS and Googles efforts to push it takes me back to the late 90’s and Sun promoting how Java was all that was needed and web apps were the greatest thing ever and we all know how that ended.

• thecoldanddarkone

Honestly I think it’s damn ugly but I can ignore that more importantly it’s another notebook that wants to slit my wrists… I hate sharp edges.

Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, please take note:

This is how you make a computer that isn’t ugly.

Thank you.

• Walkintarget

Pardon me whilst I leave this here for your perusal:

[url<]http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/It%27s_Over_9000![/url<]

• Cyril

This is the second time you’ve complained about “incorrect” Chromebook coverage on TR this week, and this is the second time you’ve either misinterpreted what I wrote or read too much into it.

I’m familiar with Chrome OS. I’ve used Chrome OS. I [url=https://techreport.com/review/24016/a-review-of-samsung-249-chromebook<]reviewed a Chromebook two months ago[/url<]. When I say web browsing is "[i<]just about[/i<] the only thing you can do in Chrome OS," I don't mean it's is the [i<]only[/i<] thing you can do. I mean Chrome OS is largely restricted to the web and web apps, which is the entire point of the platform. Similarly, when I conclude an article about a 14" HP Chromebook with a 1366x768 screen with the words, "I don't expect to see any PC enthusiasts pulling these out of expensive messenger bags," I'm talking about that particular system, not all Chromebooks on the market. Seeing an enthusiast carrying, say, an Acer C7, wouldn't surprise me at all. Now, for the record, I don't agree with your assertion that Chromebooks have "far more functionality than tablets." Chromebooks do some things better, but for the time being, tablets still offer faster, richer apps and better games. (And they also run many of the same web apps.) My impression of Chrome OS is that it's a work in progress, not a mature productivity or media consumption platform. Not yet, anyhow.

• willmore

*cough* That’s a 3:2 ratio, but, yeah, we’d have heard about it from trade shows and industry chatter.

• willmore

And they can stare at you blankly because they don’t know. Those of us who do know will just shake our heads because we *know* it’s supposed to be 8000.

• bthylafh

The point is that it’s tiresome to see the same goddamn whines from the same people every time $PRODUCT is mentioned.

• rxc6

I would say that if anybody is responsible for the incorrect representation of the capabilities of a Chromebook, it is not the Tech Report, but Google. They are the ones selling the idea that you can do anything from the browser.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] I don't see other products receiving such shabby (and again incorrect) treatment. [/quote<] ever heard of windows phone? how about windows 8? both of those get trashed even though they're decent or even great. chrome books ARE real computers, it's just that the computers are running a crappy os (just teasing). the issue for many people is that given the x86 compatibility we don't understand why somebody would choose it over windows. I've read your repeated complaints about bias, but i've yet to hear a compelling argument on WHY it makes sense. schools aside, i can't imagine, as a consumer, why i'd purchase this over a similarly (and there are) priced windows machine.

• Bauxite

2560×1700 is clearly an error on their part, 1600 or 1440 of course.

If anyone had been making a 4MP 1.5:1 ratio panel, it would have leaked out in the hardware channel a long time ago.

• Walkintarget

I’m holding out for the 9000 DPI screen. Then I can say “OVER 9000 !??!!??!!??” when people ask. 😉

• AntiSp4wn

1.) Chromebooks have a touch-optimized mode that Google has been working on for at least a year, it’s behind a flag. It’s no secret Google has been working on touch Chromebooks for some time now.

2.) The suggestion that a touch Chromebook wouldn’t be on the table because Android exists doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

To say that web browsing is the only thing you can do on a Chromebook is like saying apps are the only thing you can run on an iPad. You know what else you can do on a Chromebook? Mount external volumes. Extract archives. Open the majority of common file formats (movies, images, pdf’s, office documents, archives, etc.).

Chromebooks are real computers, they have far more functionality than tablets. I’ll say it again: as a long time reader and fan of the Tech Report I’m growing very tired of the continually incorrect, often times disparaging remarks made over Chromebooks. I don’t see other products receiving such shabby (and again incorrect) treatment.

• odizzido

I hope this is a successful product, not because I have any interest in it, but because maybe game devs will start making their games so that they can be ported/compiled easily on any OS.

Same reason I hope that steam box does well.

• jjj

A high res screen is stupid because it would push prices too high but you are going way too far when saying “web browsing is just about the only thing you can do in Chrome OS” .
    There is a lot you can actually do in a browser if you try, but you are an Apple fanboy so i guess objectivity is hard to come by.
    Think about something that you believe it can’t be done in a browser and google for it, chances are you’ll find a few services offering that.

• WillBach

I think think that in light of Google’s track record of performance and feature improvements in Chrome Browser and Android OS it’s not disingenuous at all. I saw the ad and thought it was a valid comparison to the “computer rot” that seems to affect many competing laptops.

• pedro

It ends up being able to play Crysis.

• boskone

I disagree with the jist of the last statement.

Chromebooks don’t need high-DPI screens like regular laptops don’t need high-DPI screens. But they’re still nice.

For the current batch of Chromebooks in the rather-lacking 1366×768 resolution, $200 is pushing what they’re worth. However, if they could keep it to $300 or so, an HD+ or full HD screen would still be vary nice. The menus are kind of a non-issue; that’s what resolution scaling is for. Too small? Have the OS make everything 25% bigger.

• sweatshopking

because it’s a dumb os. now they want you to use touch on chrome? isn’t that the point of android? doesn’t android support mice?! then wtf?! just make it all android, and kill chrome.

• sweatshopking

i think that when you make claims like “and your computer actually gets better over time” they need to have something to back them up. i think saying “you can install updates” is a dishonest method of marketing. NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTER has changed. the software has changed, and it’s nothing new. it’s slimy marketing that is designed to confuse and distort the reality. see apple’s vs pc ads for great examples of other disingenuous marketing.

• Arclight

It looks nice.

Video is at 720p….

If I was going to buy a notebook with a Google OS, I’d buy one with the OS that actually gets a lot of developer support (Android)

I don’t think you need to go that high for a non-phone device. Bigger displays like this will more likely be farther from you. This is a touch device, but I bet it’s still farther from your eyes than 12″.

• bthylafh

In b4 “why would anybody run ChromeOS cheap thinkpads wharrgarbl”.

edit: yeah, I might as well do this with every Chromebook-related post, because it always happens.

• StashTheVampede

High DPI screens are wonderful. The sooner we can move as many devices to >320DPI, the better.

Share this post with your friends!