New GeForce drivers optimized for BioShock Infinite

Attention, GeForce owners. For the third time this month, Nvidia has new graphics drivers. The green team dropped a 314.14 beta primed for the latest games on March 4 and followed up with a 314.21 refresh to fix Tomb Raider issues last week. Today, we’re getting a 3.14.22 release that bids farewell to the beta tag with Microsoft’s WHQL seal of approval.

This new driver comes 10 hours before BioShock Infinite unlocks on Steam, and it’s the release you’ll want to use. Nvidia claims performance in that game is up 41% versus previous versions. The firm’s GeForce Experience software also has optimal configuration profiles for different system configs.

The boost in BioShock performance refers to the GeForce GTX 680, which is used to illustrate the other gains on tap. Your mileage may vary, of course.

GeForce GTX 680:

• Up to 41% faster in BioShock Infinite
  • Up to 60% faster in Tomb Raider
  • Up to 23% faster in Sniper Elite V2
  • Up to 13% faster in Sleeping Dogs

GeForce GTX 680 SLI:

• Up to 21% faster in Sniper Elite V2
  • Up to 14% faster in Sleeping Dogs
  • Up to 10% faster in StarCraft II
  • Up to 15% faster in Civilization V

Those figures are versus the last WHQL release, by the way. The only thing major that’s changed since the most recent beta seems to be those BioShock tweaks. You can peruse the full release notes here in PDF format. The GeForce 13.14.22 drivers can be downloaded from Nvidia’s website or via the updater built into GeForce Experience.

Nvidia blamed Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics for providing the final build of the game just days before the release, leading to issues with GeForce cards that were subsequently addressed in the 3.14.21 betas and a patch for the game itself. The previous 3.14.14 betas were supposed to be Tomb Raider-approved, so let’s hope things go more smoothly with BioShock Infinite. Nvidia says this release is "Game Ready"—in italics and everything—a badge not bestowed the old beta’s Tomb Raider status.

• squeeb

Great game, runs nice on my aging rig with almost all the candy turned up.

• Pax-UX

Every new game new drivers… at this point they might as well just embed the drivers into the games

• Meadows

What about sporks?

• Arclight

From the driver’s release notes:
    [quote=”314.22-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes”<][page 27]Applications issue: Adobe Flash 10.x/11.x–1080p video content stutters during browser playback in full-screen mode. The issue is resolved with Flash 11.0.1.83 and later. ................. [page 32]Windows 8 Issues -When upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, the system fails to retrieve the installed WHQL display driver. [1024416] See the Microsoft KB article KB2743349 [url<]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022[/url<] ................. [page 34]Flickering Black Screen Occurs After Installing the NVIDIA Drivers on Windows 8 Issue After installing the NVIDIA drivers on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen.[...] ................. [page 37]NVIDIA PhysX System Software Cannot be Installed or Uninstalled in Windows Safe Mode Issue Beginning with Release 280, the NVIDIA PhysX System Software is not included in the NVIDIA driver installation/uninstallation under safe mode ................. [page 38]Previous Driver Files Remain After Overinstalling with Release 256 or Earlier Drivers[...] Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers[...] Uninstalling Drivers Using Device Manager is not Supported[...][/quote<] Pretty interesting imo.

• End User

My system is stable running OC’ed 570s. I keep my drivers current.

Are you checking GPU temp? Do you leave the fan on auto?

• sarahNL93144
    • beck2448

No problems with my 680 at all.

• kamikaziechameleon

Think it’s an AMD problem too, lockup at least once a week

• kamikaziechameleon

Lmfao, thanks for the great humor +1

• VIIII

Was unaware. Will avoid spoons in the future.

• Arclight

There were no problems with my nvidia card when the BF 3 beta drivers launched and caused TDRs and it was fixed after half a year or more with the advent of new drivers. Sure some might indeed have faulty card, but it can’t be that many.

• Arclight

The performance gain claims for the GTX 680 are pretty big, dang.

• Airmantharp

From what I’ve seen (for the most part), if it’s not CoD, expect it to drop in price in a month, and be dirt cheap in six (or less if close to Black Friday or New Years). If it is CoD, well, I’m sorry.

• Duck

Yep, come back in 2015.

• HisDivineOrder

Can’t say I’ve seen this problem myself. Makes me glad I took a pass on the Starcraft 2 installment plan series, though.

I’ve had probably 3 instances of this lockup in the SC2 HOTS campaign, but give it 10 seconds and it starts responding again. Super-annoying, for sure. Not sure if it’s Blizzard’s fault or nVidia’s. Does it happen on AMD hardware?

• Airmantharp

I agree with your premise as a point of general concern, but I don’t think the severity you imply is there. I think the real impact of moving to ‘compiled’ control logic really only affects those games/engines that seek to push the performance and quality envelopes, which means that those coding outside the mass market/high appeal/high revenue brackets will need to test their software more or focus more on using standardized functions.

I also won’t dismiss the advantages of the software approach- Kepler Lite (GK104) punches much higher than one would expect based on bare specifications alone.

• Airmantharp

You’ve got some unstable or faulty hardware there. Not saying it’s your (or anyone’s) fault or trying to devalue your opinion or experience, but in general, Nvidia’s drivers are rock-solid from a stability standpoint, and have been largely above reproach in recent years. In general, most stability/compatibility problems originate from game engine design more so than drivers or hardware from either manufacturer, though many ‘solutions’ are usually arrived at by the combined efforts of the driver teams and the and engine writers.

• Airmantharp

Many people ignore most games until they have time or go on sale- there are very few games I’d pay full price for, and that list gets smaller with time. And since BioShock is a single-player story driven affair, you’re not missing out!

• Deanjo

Yes there are engine optimizations as well however most engines are heavily modified for each game which is why you can see for example a poorly performing UE game and then next that uses the same engine absolutely smoke in performance.

• MadManOriginal

tsktsk, why quote one sentence when the next sentence acknowledges that but puts it in context?

If there are game-specific optimizations, that’s ok, but if there are also game [i<]engine[/i<] optimizations that end up covering all the games that use that engine. What I meant was that the game specific optimizations may end up being part of broader optimizations too.

• Deanjo

[quote<]I don't think drivers have the 'quake/quack' issue of old where all optimizations are tied to a specific game, do they? [/quote<] They still do on many titles.

• JohnC

I have no issues at all with either beta or official drivers with my Titan and GTX680 cards. People are doing something wrong…

• MadManOriginal

There’s also game engine-specific optimizations that can cover a large number of games.

I don’t think drivers have the ‘quake/quack’ issue of old where all optimizations are tied to a specific game, do they? Specific game optimization happens but so does general optimizations, I think I’m ok with that because it’s not practical to have game-specific optimizations for every single game.

• BoilerGamer

Yeah I have a job, 2 hour a night on weekdays and 4/10/8 on Friday night/Saturday & Sunday. A bit crazy but now I am through with Campaign I won’t be playing that much.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Of course, this also means anyone playing a game that nvidia hasn't optimized for is SOL. That means beta's, f2p, indie, and open source. You're screwed.[/quote<] And yet the performance is identical, if not a little better in many of the situations you list. Nvidia's linux drivers for example do not carry game specific optimizations but still perform on par with their optimized windows counter parts.

• Deanjo

No issue here either on the GTX-580 or Titan.

• brute

got a job? Just call the IRS!

• BoilerGamer

30 hours of Starcraft 2 last week on my 314.07 driven GTX 680, no such trouble.

• l33t-g4m3r

After seeing the performance increases in Tomb Raider, and learning that Kepler eliminated hardware control logic in favor of the software compiler, I think we’re going to continue witnessing “amazing” performance gains of new games with new drivers.

Of course, this also means anyone playing a game that nvidia hasn’t optimized for is SOL. That means beta’s, f2p, indie, and open source. You’re screwed.

• brute

spoons make people fat, guns kill people, and drivers ruin games

• My Johnson

Bummer I have to ignore BioShock until this summer.

• Star Brood

They are still not addressing the complete system lockups that a lot of people are getting, primarily in StarCraft II but not limited to it. It’s across their whole product lineup as well.

Requires a hard shut down or no response at all. Sometimes my monitors will even shut themselves off after the lockup. The newer GeForce drivers are more like Radeon drivers of infamous history.

Share this post with your friends!