Sapphire doubles memory for hot-clocked Radeon HD 7790

Just a few weeks after the release of AMD’s Radeon HD 7790 graphics card, Sapphire has rolled out a second hot-clocked edition. The existing “OC” model combines a 1075MHz GPU speed with 1GB of GDDR5 memory running at 6.4GT/s—modest improvements over the reference config’s 1GHz GPU clock and 6GT/s memory. For an encore, Sapphire has whipped up a 2GB OC edition that doubles the onboard memory. This new model has the same memory speed as its 1GB counterpart, but the GPU runs 25MHz slower, at 1050MHz.

The 2GB card also has an updated cooler; the heatsink is connected to a metal plate covering the memory chips on the back of the circuit board. Sapphire says this design improves “PCB rigidity” and lowers memory temperatures by as much as 13°C.

While the back plate is a nice touch, the cooler doesn’t look as beefy as the unit affixed to the 1GB OC card. That cooler has dual fans, but just a single spinner is nestled in the heatsink adorning the 2GB model. Perhaps that’s why the GPU on that card runs just a tad slower.

Both versions of the Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC have DisplayPort, HDMI, and dual DVI outputs. Thanks to the firm’s FleX tech, you can run three-way Eyefinity setups without using the DisplayPort out. Even with 2GB of memory, though, the 7790 doesn’t have enough horsepower to run the latest games at the ultra-high resolutions possible with triple-display configs. Heck, you probably don’t need more than a gig of video RAM to play the latest games on a single 1080p monitor. However, with the PlayStation 4 packing 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, future titles may be more capable of exploiting additional graphics memory.

Sapphire’s press release doesn’t mention a price for the 2GB card, but I’d expect it to ring in a little higher than the 1GB version, which is currently selling for $160. The only other 2GB variant of the 7790 I see at Newegg is a Gigabyte card priced at $170. Those prices include two free games, by the way. Thanks to the latest incarnation of AMD’s Never Settle Reloaded bundles, anyone who buys a Radeon HD 7790 is entitled to download codes for BioShock Infinite and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.

• kamikaziechameleon

Current GPU’s have enough issues with driver stability, must we also see them degrade the hardware stability with these OC’s???

• sammiej230oo
    • Bensam123

Not a fan of these crappy little coolers… I currently have one that looks very similar to this on my Gigabyte and the bearings where down on them super fast (guessing it’s a sleeve). It makes a lot of noise and rattles when it gets up to speed. I definitely prefer the stock coolers. Guessing this thing doesn’t cool the VRMs either judging by where those heat pipes come from.

• Goty

You’ll have to teach me how you can identify the bearing just by looking at the fan. That’s a neat trick.

• Bensam123

I was identifying the flimsy plastic, which is also usually accompanied by a shitty bearing. It’s easy to identify the bearing by spinning the thing by hand.

There is of course an exception to every rule and I’m sure you can find some totally awesome long life triple fan coolers on the market matched with super flimsy plastic enclosures that wobble and rattle when they spin.

• Goty

Ooh, feisty! 😉

• CaptTomato

This looks similar if not identical to my old saphire 6850 cooler, if so, there shouldn’t be any problems with heat or noise+ my 6850 lasted nearly 18months before a storm retired it.
      I should point out that I’m moreso in favour of the 1 gig 7790 models rather than the more expensive 2gig, at which point moving to either a 7850/7870 would make more sense/game bundle notwithstanding.

• gmskking

I replaced an old 4670 with a 6670 the other day. The 4670 outperforms the 6670. Just thought you would like to know that.

• Star Brood

2010 called, wants its graphics card comparison back.

• Arclight

Did you read any reviews comparing their performance prior to purchasing? My suggestion would be to return the 6670 and ask your money back or pay the difference for a better card.

Check [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011<]this one out[/url<] You could use [url=http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_650_Power_Edition/27.html<]this[/url<] as a performance guidline.

• CaptTomato

Meaningless post….the 7790 is a bit faster than a 6870, actually I should see where it is in comparison to a 6950.

• ULYXX

That sounds like something Wimp Lo would say….

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY[/url<]

• gmskking

We need a few more models of crappy video cards. Get on that, AMD.

• CaptTomato

For the price, 7790 is excellent for a budget gamer, also, as I’ve been saying, with single GPU, AMD have very good drivers.
      Like my 7950, this card also has built in HDMI, so no more dongle’s to control a HDTV, admittedly, dongle did the job.

Paragraph about spiffy, new backplate on the 2GB model.

Eight images showing the front side of the card….

• Derfer

If bumping up the memory makes it the same price as the 650 Ti boost then you didn’t really accomplish anything given the large performance advantage of the boost at the same price.

• albundy

based on the previous review, i would have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to get this when the 7850 has been going for $130 the past month. i am unsure how the 2GB flavor performs, but I still wouldn’t mind paying less and getting more.

• ColdMist

Sapphire is a great company. I use their passively cooled cards exclusively in my HTPC builds. I’ve never had a single problem with any of the cards.

Great designs!

• Star Brood

For $10 more one could have a free copy of Tomb Raider and an HD 7850 with the same memory. The only market I can think of for these cards is at retailers who are preserving the launch MSRP, and not the adjusted prices.

• alwayssts

I think in reality the purpose of the products are to compete with 650ti (old 1/2GB) and 650tiB (1GB). Not saying 2GB is a great sell on a card like this, but 650tiB 2GB is clearly priced against 7850…therefore they will be priced lower.

People hopefully realize MSRP and launch day prices don’t last long. 7790 will quickly be ~130-150 parts, if not slightly less. The difference between 7850 and 7790 is one has been on the market for a year, the other a week.

FWIW, and not that it makes a huge difference, I think this Sapphire model is clocked at 1050mhz because they wised up to the fact 896sp is bottle-necked by bw. 6400mhz is the most anyone can safely guarantee and it’s not enough for where the core can scale.

It likely makes no difference clocked at 1075mhz (pure case of why the design would have been better with 192-bit/5ghz or 128-bit/7ghz, and hopefully Hainan does not share the same fate). It’s possible they simply wanted to keep tdp at a certain level with the added ram, but if the case the former likely still influenced the later.

• Khelgar

and no photo of its memory cooler? Back of card is most often visible, one with a nice plate, like the Asus DirectCU or similar is a big selling point for me, be nice to see what it actually looks like.

• DPete27

[url=http://www.techpowerup.com/182843/Sapphire-Announces-Radeon-HD-7790-2GB-OC-Graphics-Card.html<]google is a great tool[/url<]

• Goty

It’s just a backplate, nothing to see.

• DPete27

But this backplate has awesome pinstriping!!! That would look sooo cool in my case….until I put the side panel back on……