Windows 8.1 may boot to desktop, resurrect Start menu

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Windows 8, but the biggest one is no doubt the new Start screen. A lot of us dislike how it replaces the old Start menu and appears like an uninvited guest at every bootup. Why isn’t there an easy way to keep it out of sight?

Believe it or not, the next major version of Windows due out this year may address that. ZDNet’s Mary-Jo Foley reports that Windows 8.1, a.k.a. Windows Blue, could let users boot straight to the desktop and bring back the Start menu.

The boot-to-desktop option is "now looking like the plan," according to one of Foley’s sources, while the Start menu’s resurrection is reportedly being considered. There’s some additional evidence for the boot-to-desktop feature: according to WinBeta, a leaked build of Windows 8.1 has a variable called "twinui-CanSuppresssStartScreen." The Start menu’s return seems less certain, although considering the sheer number of third-party Start menu add-ons for Windows 8, Microsoft would be foolish not to include the option.

I’ve learned to live with the Start screen since I upgraded to Windows 8 last October, but I sympathize with the haters. Modern UI doesn’t really fit on a dual-monitor desktop workstation. There’s something clunky and awkward about it, especially when you’re navigating with a mouse and a scroll wheel instead of your fingers. Letting desktop users muzzle Modern UI would be a step in the right direction—one that could make Windows 8.1 more appropriate for businesses, too.

• PenGun

Why does a short script in the boot initialization not fix this? Oh wait … wrong OS.

• NovusBogus

Windows 8 is based on the same kernel as Windows 7 so there’s no technical reason it’s not capable of all of this and more. Win8 Pro needs to offer “classic UI” that’s 100% the same as Win7 (i.e. no Metro features at all) but has all the performance and security enhancements.

It’s just a matter of whether post-Sinofsky Microsoft is capable of delivering what the customers want and rowing back on the Jobsian “we know what’s best for you” BS. Given that I play games and don’t particularly relish reaching a point where I can no longer do that because the OS maker has gone down in flames, I hope they turn this boat around post haste.

edit: Oh, and they need to split Windows back into two distinct products: one for mobile devices and one for desktops. The environment and use cases are just too radically different for a single product and code base.

• LostCat

DX is being worked on. There’s just no point releasing a new one when they haven’t even gotten most devs using dx11.

[url<]http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/follow-up-on-directxxna/[/url<]

• BiggieShady

What happened to brace yourselves?

• Diplomacy42

he who would trade liberty for security deserves neither,

i will take hackers bullshps in exchange for OS access any day.

• Diplomacy42

you have to then click on “options” on the right to bring up the OS core crap. you should probably type defrag at the very least, def bings up 61 results.

• Diplomacy42

*worthless icons that don’t help me find the programs i want or effect the system in the way i need

• Diplomacy42

start–> power settings, results 0
    start–> power off, results 0
    start–> off, results 0
    start–> power, results 5, none of which turns off computer.

the reason? power cycling is not an application. so, in this instance it is actually:

start–>power off, switch to mouse/touchpad/click “settings” click “turn off your pc”–> stop bitchin

they also removed the power down button from the ctrl alt delete menu the start screen, the fing quick launch toolbar…

• boing

Heh I have friend who’s was furious when they removed the “Go” button in IE and he had to learn to press enter after typing in the url instad of clicking go.

• GrimDanfango

Not entirely like DOS… there’s no dir command now, you just have to remember every single program you have installed, and exactly what they’re all called.

Far too much of Windows 8 seems to rely on memory for my liking.
    I thought the most important underpinning of a graphical user interface was that it should present things to you visually. Apparently not.

• clone

you’ve been eagerly accusing everyone around you of being stupid, morons, stupid morons…..when everyone is at fault & doesn’t understand… it’s probably you that are at fault and don’t understand.

the complaint is genuine, the answer brutally simple, the concerns totally valid, Win8 solely to blame.

to open a search causes the previous windows to be covered, so if you forget what exactly you were going to type you have to close, find the approx file name you were going to use, and then reopen the app….. this is a pain in the ass and more notably it’s a brand new pain in the ass introduced in Windows 8 an OS that was supposed to be an improvement….. WinXP didn’t suffer from this, Win Vista didn’t suffer from it, good god man not even Windows ME suffered from it… win98se, nope, win98… nope, maybe win95… nope… but Windows 8 does because the new interface favors if not outright imposes reducing a number of windows to a window despite it being the user who wants ready access to all of those open windows and to be able to open more.

it’s a core failure of Windows 8 that only became because it benefited mobile.

• bender

This reminds me of when they took away the ‘up’ button in Explorer. I believe there was some nerd rage (mostly from me probably) and they assured us that they knew what was best for us.

But hey – they put the up button back in 8.

Just seems like they pick some weird fights.

• bjm

Very glad to see this.

While I’ve had no serious issues with Windows 8 since I’ve always used Classic Shell, the removal of the Start Menu was a very legitimate grievance by those who voiced it. After all, nobody but enthusiasts know about these Start Menu applications. For all the general public knows, the Start Menu was gone for good. The next move that I’d like to see from Microsoft is opening up the WinRT platform. Android has shown that a default store can excel even when built on an open platform.

Android’s openness as a platform is doing to iOS and Windows Phone what MS-DOS/Windows did to all the early vertically integrated platforms: pummeling the competition with sheer ubiquity by openness. It’s unfortunate that during Apple’s meteoric rise since the iPhone, Ballmer and co. were simply awed into submission and copied both their business model and “we know whats good for you” attitude. Instead, he should have been referring to Bill Gates’ play book from the 80s and 90s. It’s still very early in this next-generation chapter, though. Perhaps this can be a turning point. Or not.. we’ll see.

• MadManOriginal

Only because people ALWAYS want to blame someone or something else. But ok, tell me how any search is going to work well “with names which have the first ten to twenty charachters in common?”

• Scrotos

There’s a “your mom” joke in there somewhere.

• clone

blaming the consumer for Win8’s failure was the moment you lost….. nothing else you’ve said matters no matter how much you want it to.

note: edited to fit in a title.

• Khali

Yes, Classic mode please. Face it, every one learned to use windows with the various versions up through XP and got used to the look. Then along came Vista, 7 and now 8 with the look and location of things changing. Some people might like change but the other 95% of like things to stay like they have always been when it comes to a OS. Make all the improvements under the hood you can but leave the look and location of things alone for Gods sake!!!

• MadManOriginal

Let’s stick to the particular topic at hand: We have someone complaining that ‘defragment’ doesn’t come up in search. Apparently they tried it, didn’t see the result right away, and didn’t even take 3 seconds to look at the screen but instead threw up their hands and gave up (btw…there is one way that is exactly the same as Windows 7, Control Panel.) ‘Waaaah no this isn’t exactly the same as I’m used to.’ 3 seconds is literally how long it took me to figure it out and it is [b<]not[/b<] something I especially knew about beforehand...I tried it to test the results and figured it out right away. That's why it is 'common sense'...it was incredibly easy to figure out. Am I jsut that much smarter than everyone else, or do I not come in with predetermined bias, or am I just more willing to learn and then figure out whether it's better or not? Is it 'common sense' to see every type of result in one huge list instead of organized into some kind of categories? Hmm, yeah, I'd rather have to look through a huge number of results including programs, settings, and files, rather than look at a category. Maybe everyone else keeps their computer in a state of utter disorganization with everything dumped into one folder and so has to use search as a crutch to support their mess or personal files and so expects results to show everything with no kind of organization. I don't 'like' Modern UI in some fanboy way but I don't knee-jerk hate it like so many people either. I am just not stubborn and unadaptable and at least give it a chance or figure out how it works. I rarely use Modern UI, which is rather telling because it means that all the complaints about it are a bunch of hot air, it's not hard to avoid it at all.

• MadManOriginal

I’m not misrepresenting anything. Shouref is making up stupid examples that would result from a stupid user and blaming Windows 8 for the problem.

[quote<]Rubish. I sometimes have more than 10 windows open.[/quote<] What has that got to do with being able to remember what you were searching for? [quote<]And do you really think it's that easy when you have several programs from the same publisher with names which look alike?[/quote<] How does that make Windows 8 search bad? You'd get the same 'several results' from Windows 7 search too. [quote<]Or with names which have the first ten to twenty charachters in common?[/quote<] Really...who makes filenames with the first 10-20+ characters the same? And no search would make the results any better, that's not a 'Windows 8 problem' it's a 'stupid filename scheme' problem. And, just like people love to hate Windows 8 because of Modern UI while pretending it doesn't have a desktop mode, there is the improved file explorer. So, if you're not a moron whose files are all dumped into one huge directory but you keep them organized but still want to search, you use file explorer within the correct directory....just like you would have in Windows 7.

• clone

he’s trolling, vehemently.

• Horshu

And PLEASE rewrite all those Metro “apps” that you let your interns write.

• spigzone

All I wanted was Windows 7 with reset/refresh. Is that too much to @&^$%(#*$&#* ask???

• sschaem

No need to assume anything, you got down voted because you dont have a clue.

clue : start menu != full screen search tool

• sschaem

The low level access is controled my Microsoft, not ATI or nvidia.

So Dx12 could have a ‘console’ mode. where it run your game in a ‘VM’ in a close to the metal mode.

We also dont have Virtual memory in DX yet. yet the HW got support since 2011
    Would be nice if Dx12 allow this so people like Carmack doesn;t have to hack the feature in software.

etc…

For desktop users, Microsoft dropped the ball 3 years ago by switching all its priorities to tablets.

For them its more important to take the time to REMOVE existing features, like offering a desktop start menu, so people are forced to use Geto-Retro-Metro then advancing the platform.

I woudn’t be so bitter if Linux grabbed that lost momentum, but it doesn’t seem like anyone care about ‘us’ desktop user anymore .

• Airmantharp

Actually, I think they can be addressed by DX and Windows, if only in a roundabout way.

Microsoft can tie application and driver latency requirements to a screens refresh rate while requiring hardware-level reporting from both GPU outputs and various input devices.

Basically, they could set a standard for ‘game latency’ and ‘render latency’ along with overall ‘system response latency’. The amount of time it takes the game to respond to user input and the GPU to render game output (along with game output latency) could be measured and aggregated.

The result would be a defined experience metric, where the time that user inputs take to affect what is being displayed on the screen could be measured and held to a standard or set of standards.

• Wirko

Oh, you too remember the good old DOS programs! Blue background and burning red, magenta, green and cyan rectangular patches with some text inside! (Orange wasn’t invented yet.)

Oh wait …

• Airmantharp

That’s actually expected- RT requires a recompile for ARM and the platforms it runs on use completely different hardware (and thus drivers) than the full-fat version on x86. There’s just too many variables to place the blame squarely on Windows 8.

• oldog

Just to add to the confusion. I will assure you that using the KEFs through the USB connection is a no go with Surface RT.

• cphite

There is really?!? Ya don’t say!

Yes, I am aware there is still a desktop. However, I personally find it convenient to keep a lot of the various tools and applications that I use less often in my start menu, and now that has been replaced with a Start Screen that takes up my entire monitor, spreads my stuff over approximately three horizontal pages, and completely obscures whatever else I happen to be doing when I use it.

The point is, previously I could use my desktop for what I wanted, and my start menu for what I wanted, and the two worked together quite nicely. Now, my desktop is obscured – even if only briefly – by an ugly interface that offers no real advantage over what it’s replacing. I find that annoying, and consider it a step backwards in functionality.

• MadManOriginal

Are you aware there is still a desktop you can use in Windows 8?

• Airmantharp

Reading up on the linked articles/threads above, it looks like this is more of an issue between the USB interfaces on the DACs and USB controllers on the motherboards in question. It’s likely a quality control issue, as people with the same hardware and software are reporting different results, and there is little other ‘hubbub’ to be found about it.

If it was a general Windows 8 -> USB DAC issue, the audio subforums of gaming sites would be stuffed with threads; as it stands it looks like this is limited to some people’s equipment when trying to do asynchronous audio, where the DAC includes its own clock generators in order to match various available sample rates.

And I’m not really trying to downplay the issue or claim that there’s nothing ‘really’ going on; I’m actually very interested in using an external DAC/Amp solution when my X-Fi dies.

• cphite

For me the Start Screen is just clunky and inefficient. I use a lot of different applications, and I dislike having to scroll two pages to the right just to get to something I need. With the desktop, I can place icons wherever I want and they’re always right there. I can see how the Start Screen might be useful if I was using a touch screen, but I’m not – and have no interest in a touch screen.

Sometimes I want to have an application open while I’m looking for a program; for example a document. I don’t like having my screen completely filled by a menu. For me, that’s intrusive and annoying – for a less technical user, who might need to look at a document to follow instructions for example, it’s even worse when they keep having that document obscured by a pointless full-screen menu.

Some might argue that these sorts of issues are small and that they’re just something to get used to; and that may be so. And, it may be true that some people actually prefer the new setup. For me, it’s clunky and inefficient. In my view, it’s a touch-based interface that seems to have been shoehorned into using a keyboard and mouse, as opposed to one that is designed to take full advantage of a keyboard and mouse.

• c1arity

I’d use Windows 8 if it just allowed me to use it in a more desktop friendly mode. I uninstalled it when I was playing a game and my palm hit the windows key then I hit “w” to move forward. Windows 8 then proceeded to go back and forth between the “settings” screen and my game. Except, everytime I hit “w” it would go back into the settings screen tabbing me out of my game. I know there are ways around it but I should be able to go into a “desktop” mode.

I understand why Microsoft did what they did with Windows 8, I just think it was a bit premature and would have been nice to at least give their consumers the option of using their computer the way they want to. All people wanted was an option.

That being said, I love my Lumia 810.

• hansmuff

Absurd statement. Driver or application stalls simply can not be addressed by DirectX or Windows.

• l33t-g4m3r

Oh, the irony.

• 5150

My mom is a saint!

• kamikaziechameleon

This is good. The whole of the OS seems half baked. Like they literally pushed it out into the wild to get feedback, like MS was afraid to over invest in such a revolutionary design shift. Ironically that is what is hurting them, that and the wonky protocols for syncing and lyncing devices is rather stupidly integrated.

• guruMarkB

Yes, Microsoft missed the boat big time with Windows 8 and choosing to remove the start menu. But it’s not that bad as all you need to do is install CLASSIC SHELL (http://www.classicshell.net/) or any of the other Start Menu shells (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8), I’ve installed Classic Shell on 5 Windows 8 systems and then boot up right to the traditional Windows desktop with a start menu in the normal lower left corner on the taskbar. Problem solved.

• jihadjoe

Thank you sir, I rest my case.

It’s fun to rageblame Win8 because more often than not you’d be right. USB 1 devices that have been properly working on every other OS, including previous versions of windows are failing in Win8, and yes problems are are widespread.

[url<]http://www.thestreet.com/story/11762958/1/microsofts-windows-8-poses-audio-problems.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/dragonfly-dac-and-windows-8-snap-crackle-and-pop-14078/[/url<] Just to clarify when I said "no drivers required", I meant that the third party manufacturer doesn't need to provide their own drivers, as Windows should have its own standard USB 1 drivers. This probably goes for a lot of standard stuff, like keyboard and mice. They all require drivers, but no one jumps on the manufacturer when the driver goes wrong because Microsoft does it.

• Zizy

Yes. Instead of forcing superior OS, they listened to other ignorants.

• l33t-g4m3r

Who, Microsoft?

• shank15217

well, they are ignorant

• Zizy

Yeah, OGL has advantage of being available on other platform, but from a dev financial point of view, does it matter? Indie developers might have non-profit reasons to support OGL, but for major studios the only thing that matters in the end is $$$. More money on multiplatform = good. More costs on multiplatform = not good. good-not good = ??? Usually ends up on not good, as most studios use DX.
    There could be also a question why DX. I have no idea, I have never used any of these two and disliked both DirectCompute and OpenCL. But there are two DX benefits I have heard of – more people use it + better API. Enough? For most studios looks like it, yeah.

• kmieciu

From outsider point of view this look interesting. Most windows desktops I have seen in my life were full of icons, not documents but shortcuts to launch apps. Most users used start menu just to drag shortcuts to their favourite apps to desktop and never looked back there again. And when MS gives people neatly designed equivalent of that, with additional quirks like ability to scroll and resize launchers then all the rage begins…

• MEATLOAF2

I would love if OpenGL got more attention, if you think about it, OpenGL being what it is certainly makes it a more desirable option than DXinsertnumberhere. If only it got more support.

• MEATLOAF2

If only these “Revisions” weren’t unique to the OS, I would be perfectly fine. If a new version or revision is the only thing that entices me to update the OS I will kindly decline.

• Auril4

Windows 8 is doing more harm than good. There are people with brand new Laptops very eager to downgrade to Windows 7 right now.

• Meadows

The real kind.

• Ringofett

word. People hate economics, because free markets disagree often with how people FEEL the world should be, and instead show it as it really is. The failure of the last quarters PC sales and Windows 8 in general is writing on the wall, people can deny the product is the biggest failure since Vista or even ME, perhaps biggest failure ever since Microsoft is more vulnerable to changing tides then ever before, but the markets have spoken. People agree with us, the UI is okay for tablets, but they dont want it in general on their PCs.

• Ringofett

Okay, so to go from the desktop, you have to dump the desktop by going in to full-screen start screen, type it in, then change from apps to settings. How is this superior to hitting the start menu up and navigating to it, or typing it in search there, all without exiting the desktop environment? Are you the one trolling, or is the point is that its possible, not necessarily an improvement over Win7?

• Ringofett

Can fit everything on the start menu, in a logical organization, versus the mess that Start Screen is by default. 90% of the time I use the Start menu it’s to go to something through that list, since my common stuff is pinned to the task bar, and I can do so with classic shell without some jarring transition to an interface everyone with an IQ above 10 understands was obviously designed for tablets, not desktops.

• jihadjoe

I am lost

• oldog

I do have the X300A speakers. And yes you are correct, the device manager in Win 7 shows that the KEFs are using a driver. What is also interesting; it seems that the KEF DACs are using an MS driver written in late 2010.

There is no manual installation of drivers required. It is “plug and play” or not play as the case may be.

• jihadjoe

Fair enough.

• MadManOriginal

No, that’s not how it works. Just because you don’t have to manually install drivers doesn’t mean drivers aren’t required. I can 100% guarantee you that a USB DAC that supposedly ‘doesn’t require drivers’ will have driver files listed when you look in Device Manager. What you’re talking about is USB Class 1, if those didn’t work in Windows 8 it would be a *very* widespread problem since that covers the vast majority of USB audio devices.

But hey, it’s more fun to rageblame Windows 8 instead of the device manufacturer, right? Because all manufacturers always make drivers for the latest OS for all their devices.

Anyway, let oldog answer, he’s a big boy. There are USB DAC chips that require manual driver installs, primarily they are ones that tout ‘asynchronous USB audio’ and are USB Class 2.

• jihadjoe

Win 7 had built-in support for USB DACs up to 24/96. No drivers needed.

If oldog has something like the X300As, then no he didn’t need any drivers and this fkup is entirely Windows 8’s fault. A lot of DACs are specifically 24/96 because Windows 7 and OSX support them with no drivers up to that resolution.

• MadManOriginal

Do you know what the DAC receiver chip is? Does it require a manual driver install or is it automatically recognized by Windows, whether older versions or Windows 8?

The reason KEF would say it’s happening to ‘many other DACs’ is because there aren’t all that many USB receiver chips so all DACs using a given chip might be affected. I honestly think that the USB chip manufacturer is being negligent in making new drivers, and then KEF is passing the buck as a ‘Windows problem’ when it’s really a driver problem the chip manufacturer needs to fix.

• oldog

Your assumption is correct. These are DACs connected via USB. They are housed in my KEF speakers. The tech folks at KEF tell me that this is a problem in Win 8. Win 7 works flawlessly with the same setup.

Interestingly, a pre-release copy of Win 8 did not exhibit this issue. It showed up in the final version of Win 8.

KEF tells me that this is not unique to their DACs but to many others manufacturers DACs connected via USB.

• slowriot

You keep misrepresenting peoples anti-Windows 8 arguments. Why?

EDIT: The only tactic or “point” you keep repeating is that people are using it wrong or haven’t used it. Neither is true. You didn’t present any kind of argument against Shouefref, you threw out only insults.

• gamoniac

Currently, when you type “def” in Win8 Start Menu, the search results are categorized in three groups — Apps, Settings, and Files on the right hand corner, together with the number of hits displayed. It’s not intuitive. Luckily, there is enough negative feedback that Microsoft is combining the search results (like Windows 7) in an upcoming fix, according to ZDNet’s Foley.

However, on slower PC, the number of hits is sometimes not displayed next to “Apps, Settings, and Files”. So new Win8 user wouldn’t know to click on them to look at more search results. When I first upgraded my wife’s PC from Win7, I thought the “missing hit number” was an upgrade bug. The MS tech support who remoted into her PC did not seem to know about this issue either. I hope they do now.

• sammiej230oo
    • FuturePastNow

Why the heck should I have to cover up all of my open windows just to search for something? I’ve got a big monitor, man.

What if I’m watching a movie in a window and decide to write out a little note? On Windows 7, I hit the windows key, type “no” and notepad opens in its own little window. I don’t have to pause the video I’m watching or even take my eyes off it.

On Windows 8, I get a screenful of wasted space and hope I don’t open a Metro notepad app, trapping me in that non-desktop hell. I hope I haven’t missed the shower scene.

Also, I downvoted you because your mom.

• MadManOriginal

That makes some sense as a possibility, and the most obvious guess would be that USB receiver chips which don’t have proper drivers for Windows 8 and don’t use standard drivers might cause problems. If so, that’s really the fault of the USB chip manufacturer, not Microsoft.

• internetsandman

I’m assuming that would be for DAC’s connected via USB? I can’t imagine a S/PDIF or other digital audio connection causing problems

• MadManOriginal

Could you explain this problem? I haven’t heard of anything, don’t have any problems myself, and a quick search didn’t find anything about external DACs.

• absurdity

Fixing frame latency issues would sure sell a lot of copies.

• absurdity

I completely agree with you – my only gripe with it is that there is no button. The start screen itself I was unsure of, but after using 8 for about an hour I started to like it quite a bit. It occurred to me that, hey, why have we been limiting ourselves to a tiny part of the screen to display the start menu? When I go to the start menu, I’m looking for a program to run, so why not take advantage of all the screen real estate when doing this?

• End User

Microsoft funk

• moog

Tile sizes and tile colors are coming.

• oldog

All I ask is that MS fixes the problem they created in Win 8 for external DACs.

• Grigory

A lot of things were better in the nineties. Just saying.

• Bensam123

So that’s a start. Just finish getting over your ego trip and strip the UI and replace it with W7. Problem solved. Why not even add a ‘classic mode’, which everyone will use as soon as they find it.

• willg

I dont like the jarring paradigm shift between desktop and metro start screen. But I dont really miss the start button either as most of my desktop apps are pinned to the taskbar. The only annoyances are shutting down and searching.

If there was a way to address those, I wouldn’t miss Start at all.

• Deanjo

MsBob, Windows 1-3, hell even Tandy Deskmate = start screen

Pin to bar OS KDE long time ago and OS X in 2k

[quote<]btw, a Linux fan like yourself really shouldn't be talking down about typing to do stuff.[/quote<] I have to drop to powershell in windows far more then I have to in Linux to get things done. Just because a person can use cli doesn't mean they have to as there are a ton of GUIs out there for pretty much every task.

• shank15217

u can try safe mode

• kamikaziechameleon

I don’t care about the flipping start menu, just take me to desktop. I think the start menu is outdated and pointless beyond the search feature that was replace by a better query feature in win 8. But I don’t believe there is any merit in forcing consumers to the start screen, I like it as an option and actually prefer it but I see why in many instances the desktop is the preferred start point. I do wish they would invest just a hair more into integrating the desktop and tile interface in a way that made sense.

GIVE ME MORE TILES!!!
    I WANT LIVE TILES ON THE DESKTOP!
    I WANT MORE OPTIONS FOR TILE SIZES PERIOD!

What we got was sorta… bland and boring in execution. Could have been amazing and would really have promoted the flipping store for desktop allot better.

• Sahrin

You’re not going to win me back with half-measures. Start Menu is shite, I’m not upgrading from my old Win95 machine until they bring back booting into a CLI.

• moose17145

No… I will not watch your video. I shouldn’t have to. What I am looking for comes up right away in windows 7 without me having to do anything extra. Why can’t you see that for all the good under the hood improvements MS made with windows 8, that they equally botched the front end? You love it… fine… good for you… but in case you haven’t gotten this through that thick skull of yours… people don’t like things being forced down their throats. Companies do not like having to spend extra time and money retraining half their work force to use a new UI that gives them ZERO gain in productivity. And people do not like having options torn from them that they used to once have!

But hey… your right… having options taken away from us is a good thing! You should consider a Mac! I bet you would love it! No choices on what kind of hardware you can run it on, everything is already configured for you the way Apple thinks you should be using it, and you are powerless to change it! Seriously you would love it!

• moose17145

Common sense is NOT something that applies to Windows 8 MMO, and you full well know it. Common sense would have suggested that MS would have given the option of which UI people prefer to use. But according to you, wanting to have choices in how you use your own computer is apparently trolling. No one here is trying to take your precious Metro UI from you, since you apparently love it so much. But MS is trying to force the rest of us away from a UI that we all know how to use, and prefer to use for a desktop with a keyboard and mouse. I think Metro is fine for touch devices, but it’s just terrible for the desktop where your input is a keyboard and mouse. Honestly some of your pro-windows 8 arguments are so out there that I often don’t know if you are just that big of a M$ fanboy or are trolling yourself. Every time someone says they wished that they had not forced us away from the start menu, and instead made it an option, you come out saying matro is the best thing since sliced bread and that we are all bitching over nothing. Well it’s not bitching over nothing! MS’s sole purpose in existing is to make money by providing it’s customers with an experience that is better than what the competition provides (often times for free in the case of linux) which justifies the cost of their software. For most people, Windows 8 failed on that miserably. And to make it worse, MS spent EXTRA time and money to tear out the start menu! It would have been cheaper and easier to just make it an option instead of tearing out all the code for it!

And while we are all trolling you for wanting our OS to have options that we have come to like having… I also want Aero to come back! I LIKED the Aero Glass interface… I think it made the OS much easier on the eyes when looking at the computer for long periods of time and think it looks a lot better than the flat looking pastel colored mess that is windows 8…

• MadManOriginal

Wow, you guys…it’s not a ‘search setting’ you change, it’s looking at the SETTINGS search results instead of APPS or FILES. Watch the video, pause at 14 seconds. Look at the search box area in the upper right…pausing might help it get through your thick skulls.

Or, just use the same old Control Panel that’s virtually unchanged since Vista, which btw does come up under APPS in search results.

• moose17145

I was just going to say that… So you go to search something, but have to change settings in order for it to show up, compared to windows 7 where it would just show up without having to change any settings…

To go back to MMO’s willy wonka meme… “So you have to change search settings to find what you want? PLEASE tell me how that is better or easier than the way Windows 7 did it?”

• MadManOriginal

Are you being stupid to troll, or are you really that dumb and didn’t even watch the video for 20 seconds?

First off, changing defrag options isn’t ‘typical’, it’s a system setting – there’s that word – that is changed *very* infrequently if at all.

Second, did you even watch the video? Look at 14 seconds. When you type on the Start Screen there are three categories under the Search box. Apps, SETTINGS, and Files. Click SETTINGS and defragment is one of the results. It took me less than 5 seconds to figure it out using Windows 8, and I hadn’t especially known about it, I just looked at the screen and used a shred of common sense. I guess that’s too hard for some people?

It can be navigated to purely with the keyboard too: type ‘defr’, tab over to the Search box area if the cursor isn’t there already, down arrow to SETTINGS and press enter to see the results for SETTINGS. Something else I just figured out by trying for 10 seconds…OH MY GOD, EFFORTZ, THEY IS HARD!

• FireGryphon

What MS needs is the same core OS with a different UI for appropriate form factors. This is the second step in that direction.

• BIF

[quote<]I don't understand the dislike of the Start Screen. It's perfectly functional. [/quote<] Functional for [u<]you[/u<], and that's great! What chafes most is that so many here like to tout themselves as understanding, good humans, whatever; but they have ZERO empathy when somebody says, "I'm having trouble with...". So here: I understand where you are coming from. You like the SS. Awesome, yay for you! Now there: Please try to understand that it just doesn't work for me. Not so awesome. Please try to understand that I "had" something that worked, and it was taken away. No yay for me.

• MadManOriginal

What? Was there a Start Screen or pinned taskbar icons in the 90s?

btw, a Linux fan like yourself really shouldn’t be talking down about typing to do stuff.

• Deanjo

Oh so you prefer the 90’s interface then?

• BIF

So you’re saying that searching “typical” things such as “defrag” will only work if I have to change a setting?

That’s really funny. How’s that better than having to install Classic Shell or another alternative that “just works?”

• MadManOriginal

Yeah man, all those icons on the Start Screen or pinned in the task bar are just for show.

• Deanjo

Guess that makes Win 8 users stuck in the 80’s where you have to type your application name to launch it.

• MadManOriginal

Sure, that’s a problem if you’re a moron who just dumps every single file you have into one directory with no kind of subfolder organization whatsoever. Or you could keep your files organized and use file explorer like you would have in previous versions of Windows. It seems to me that such filenames would have the exact same ‘problem’ if you want to call it that in any version of Windows anyway.

Contrary to what Windows 8 haters think, you don’t have to use Modern UI! The desktop still works fine, as does file explorer, pinned taskbar programs, and even desktop shortcuts.

• Tristan

With Win 8, MS accelerates into Post-PC, Post-Microsoft era

• PsychicMuffin

Little things like how downloads to my desktop always appear on my primary monitor annoy me. I mean…that’s where I have my web browser open. I obviously want files to not go behind it. Yeah I can just click it from chrome to open it, but I often want to open it again later, and forgot it was behind everything. No, it’s not that big of a deal, but how hard would it be. Multimonitor support just needs to be improved in general.

• MadManOriginal

It searches ‘Apps’ by default. To search settings you have to click *ahem* Settings in the top right. If I type ‘defr’ instead of just ‘def’ I get 0 apps, 2 settings, and 0 files.

Maybe this would help you: [url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/search-apps-files-settings?ocid=W8_start_search[/url<]

• ColeLT1

Ok, this just happened to me, just build 4 boxes w/ssd needed to turn off scheduled defragment. 3 of the employees wanted win7, one wants 8, to learn it, and I understand that.

Win 8 = Start, typed “def”
    My 2 choices were “Default Programs” and “Windows Defender”

Works fine on my win7 laptop. And same thing with “power” to get to power options.

• MadManOriginal

You’ve literally never seen a picture of the Start Screen, have you? To paraphrase 2001: A Space Odyssey “My god, it’s full of icons”

• Shouefref

Quite true.
    Not to mention all those file names who are the same for the first DOZENS of characters.

• Shouefref

Rubish. I sometimes have more than 10 windows open.
    And do you really think it’s that easy when you have several programs from the same publisher with names which look alike? Or with names which have the first ten to twenty charachters in common?

• Shouefref

They have introduced icons on the desktop so that we shouldn’t remember the name of programs.
    So stop bitching about that “just type a few letters”.
    It’s probably a trick by MS to make sure we only know THEIR program names, and not program names from their competitors.
    By the way: if you use some programs occassionaly, you might even forget you have them. There you are with you fancy “type first few letters of program you want to launch”
    And another by the way: if that’s such a good system, then why did they introduce the whole she-bang of the graphical user interface?
    Typing in a few letters was exactly how we did it with MS-DOS. You remember? MS-DOS? Stone-Age or there about?

• MadManOriginal

[url=http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37051629.jpg<]Willy Wonka[/url<] on using the Start Menu versus Start Screen to launch programs.

• BIF

First off, I love Windows 8. Stable, reliable, fewer issues than Windows 7, which was pretty clean itself, and even Vista before it was also pretty clean, if installed from a Vista installer disk and not pre-installed on a Dell box.

Even the Win 8 Start Screen isn’t all that bad. But it is very bad for some people like me. So just admit it and give us options. That’s all I really wanted from the beginning. Options! Freedom! Liberty!

Bring it back, sure! But don’t “force” it on. Don’t “force” it off, either. Let me choose! Sometimes I like melted cheese, other times I want to taste the garlic. And on Fridays I want both cheese and garlic!

Thanks!

• tanker27

Apparently, the forums are rife with people that kowtow to Redmond.

And yes I currently use 8, still cant get over its annoyances even after I find work-arounds. But hey at least it was free with my MSDN subscription! (that I dont pay for BTW)

• BIF

Please stop giving out advice that doesn’t work. 75% of the times I tried, “typing the first few letters” would NOT yield what I want.

This made Windows 8 too difficult to use and after struglling for two weeks, I considered it a “major Fail”. It was the primary reason that I gave up the Start Screen and installed Classic Shell.

• Dr_b_

no native boot to desktop and removing efficiencies for desktop users by eliminating things like start menu = bad

Put that back and it will be more viable. Desktop and laptop use is not the same as tablet or phone. wouldn’t mind having touch on a laptop with a keyboard, but it wouldn’t be the primary input method.

All MS had to do was build an improved win7, they took a chance with win8 and added metro or whatever its called, and broke it, badly.

Didn’t feel like had any control over system with win8.

• BIF

Additionally, I would LOVE these mulitmonitor options to be added to the taskbar:

1. “Launch on this monitor”
    2. “Launch on Monitor X”

It could be called “Monitor Affinity”

…and for applications already open but on a different monitor…

3. “Snap to this monitor”
    4. “Snap to Monitor X”

It could be called “Monitor Tractor Beam” or “Magnetic Monitor”

• BIF

“stuck in the 90s” sure sounds like an attempt to embarrass people into silence. Not right, not fair.

What’s wrong with letting people decide what they want or need to pay for?

• BIF

Dark days of the late 90s? Puh-lease.

• Xenolith

You haven’t tried it yet? What kind of geek are you?

• Ryhadar

It’s only $3.

I think I’ve spent more on an app for my phone that’s less useful.

• Deanjo

[quote<]MS doesn't particularly need to add new "features", but fix efficiency problems and include better mechanisms to address frame latency issues. [/quote<] None of these require a new DX 12 API, at most items like those would be a small incremental update such as a DX 11.2. A new DX full release generally involves adding new major capabilities. [quote<]One thing that should be added as a feature though is a generic physics api. Nvidia's PhysX needs to die, since it's not helping the gaming community as a whole, and only serves to further fragment the market.[/quote<] Developers already have a large selection of non vendor specific API's at their disposal for physics simulation.

• Visigoth

That’s because you haven’t used StartIsBack yet. It’s so far ahead of all the other Start Menu clones, yet manages to do all of this with the native “plumbing” of Windows 8, no emulation or other self-made b.s. here.

• slowriot

Can I customize it to not take up the entire screen? No you say? Well, then I’ll continue not using it.

• MadManOriginal

Craziness…my use of the desktop ‘computer OS’ for the last 6 months must have been a hallucination.

• Tristan

Yes, losing Metro-crap is bad thing for MS, but not for users. With Metro they have more money and much more control over users and software makers.

• Firestarter

> Who pays for utility software any more?

apparently a lot of people. People stuck in the ’90s if you ask me

• PerfectCr

Classic Shell is free. 🙂 Works good too.

• raddude9

It’s fine that they are there, but they should be optional.

• gmskking

But why are there tablet functions on a desktop O/S at all?

• HisDivineOrder

I actually think that the Start8 idea of putting just a SMALLER version of the Start Screen is actually the cleverer way of accomplishing both. You get your Start Screen with its tiles, etc, but you also get to see your desktop and have most of the benefits of the start menu’s size. The Start Screen just isn’t great for a user running 2560×1600 and plastering it all across their huge monitor. It’s a waste of space, if nothing else.

I wouldn’t mind it if they’d make the Start Screen have a transparent background so I could see my desktop underneath it, too.

Or more thoughtfully, they could just add in an option to have the tiles from the start screen just sit on the background instead. Give us back our start menu, put the tiles on the background, and let it scroll up and down like a normal up/down we’re already used to.

Instead of the start screen replacing the start menu, it’d just replace the mostly useless desktop background. Tiles become infinitely more useful as gadget replacements.

Oh, and let apps function like they do in ModernMix where they can be turned into windows, snapped, and minimized to the taskbar.

Suddenly, Windows 8 is the best version of Windows ever.

• gmskking

Completely remove the tablet portion for the desktop O/S. This is all you need to do.

• uni-mitation

LOL, are you sure you don’t work for microsoft? They surely need someone from your marketing acumen! lol

• spigzone

F U Microsoft.

Steam Box can’t get here fast enough.

• HisDivineOrder

They definitely could make themselves truly epic by charging users to add the “Start Menu module” and “Boot directly to the desktop module.”

I’m thinking since the unofficial mods are mostly like $4.99, they could get $9.99 for the official versions.

$17.99 bundle for the “Classic Windows Nostalgia Bundle Module.”

ITS A BARGAIN!

• superjawes

Is anyone else stunned that l33t made a joke, and a [i<]good[/i<] one at that?

Gratuitous?

• uni-mitation

This gave me a chuckle. Leave it to microsoft to take a feature in one product, expect you to pay, and then in the next product to give back that feature and say “look, we sorry, bend over as we shaft you with this schizophrenic wreck of an OS”.

Bravissimo!

• anotherengineer

DX12, nah, need some OpenGL love 🙂

• Meadows

Oh look. Windows 8 continues the old habit of making itself desirable only after the first service pack. I might even give it a go later.

• anotherengineer

Sounds promising Kowalski
    [url<]http://nick.mtvnimages.com/nick-assets/video/images/penguins-of-madagascar/animation-elevation-penguins-of-madagascar-character-image-spot-kowalski-N14028-08.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white[/url<] Sorry couldn't help it 🙂 My win 8 pro key is collecting dust, if MS can improve it for multi-monitor desktop/workstation use, then I may actually install it.

It’s not that we fear change, it’s that we dislike [i<]change for the worse[/i<]. If Microsoft provides a start menu, boot to desktop and then pushes something else as an optional UI, perhaps people will try it out without hating on them for forcing the issue. All I know for certain is that using my offices as a sample size, only three people out of ~500 can even tolerate ModernUI, and I am begrudingly one of them.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]One thing that should be added as a feature though is a generic physics api. Nvidia's PhysX needs to die, since it's not helping the gaming community as a whole, and only serves to further fragment the market.[/quote<] DirectCompute and OpenCL are already available as APIs. But there needs to be more affordable physics SDKs so every developer doesn't have to reinvent the wheel.

• l33t-g4m3r

MS doesn’t particularly need to add new “features”, but fix efficiency problems and include better mechanisms to address frame latency issues.

One thing that should be added as a feature though is a generic physics [s<]api[/s<] SDK. Nvidia's PhysX needs to die, since it's not helping the gaming community as a whole, and only serves to further fragment the market.

• mcnabney

I want Mediacenter back in non-Pro installs at no charge. You shouldn’t have to pay $210 for the most expensive version of the OS to get Mediacenter when your computer doesn’t need to sign into a domain. They should also move Remote Desktop to the regular version to assist people like me in supporting a dozen friends/family members when they screw something up.

• Deanjo

[quote<]and start working on dx12.[/quote<] You keep crowing this but you never specify what DX 11 is missing or if additional features are needed why they cannot do like they did with so many other DX version by releasing a revision to support minor features like they did with DX9, DX9b, DX9c,10,10.1, etc. It seems like you have a bad case of versionitis.

• flip-mode

Your points are *actually* valid, rather than the Start Screen rage. I have *actual* complaints about Windows 8 too! Windows 7 still offers a less problematic experience – i.e. there are problems that manifest under Windows 8 that do not manifest under Windows 7. But they’re pretty minor. I have made myself the Guinea pig at work and have been running Windows 8 on my daily workstation for about 3 months now. Um, it generally does fine, but there are still quirks.

• zzz

Native boot-to-desktop is nice but the Start Screen has grown on me: I can hit one key to see all the utilities to maintain the system and all the games I have should I want to play one (I don’t play games often) grouped and ready to go, all the while not cluttering my desktop. Win key+typing for obscure programs and Win key+x, how I use Win 8 and not at all using live tiles says to me that MS had a good idea, implemented awkwardly.

• flip-mode

LOL – love the meme!

• Game_boy

The fact it costs money reminds me of the dark days of the late 90s. Who pays for utility software any more? All the things you’d want your computer to ‘do’ (extracting archives, burning discs, managing files) are now open source.

• danny e.

It would be nice if Microsoft went that route. I’ve been saying, it is 2013. It’s not hard to program options. Let the user decide how they want things to work. For those that only use the “new” start screen, can leave that the default behavior. Just give people the option to boot to desktop.

The start menu would be more useable if it opened in a larger or full screen also.

• PerfectCr

I installed Start is Back. Excellent little Start Menu replacement and boots direct to Desktop. I’ve never used the Start Screen again. Quite pointless if you ask me for Desktop use.

[url<]http://startisback.com[/url<]

• MadManOriginal

Which you invalidated by posting. OMG logical conundrum!

• NeelyCam

Interesting.. a ‘last’ post.

• OneArmedScissor

I’ve been testing Windows 8 with everything stock, including Internet Explorer 10. I’m trying to pretend I’m a “normal” user and see how I adapt, because gourd knows people are going to bug me about it when they get new computers.

Overall, I think it’s an improvement in terms of out of the box performance [b<]for the average person.[/b<] The update should fix the quibbles of most enthusiasts. However, it's not clear it will fix the one thing that's driving me nuts: shut down is not right there on the start menu and can't even be pinned to it. But don't worry, now there are several new and more convoluted methods, safely concealed from grandma! [url<]http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3txspb/[/url<]

• Sargent Duck

Start menu for desktops
    Modern Interface for tablets and phone

It’s that easy. I wonder if they’re hiring…

• Deanjo

When you are coding CTM you are generally not dealing with drivers at all.

• superjawes

Do you mean “Windows Key” instead of “Start”? That still isn’t as apparent to users unfamiliar with the function, and as hoboGeek pointed out, not everyone wants to go to the MUI environment.

• Ryhadar

I’ve never seen this. I wonder if it’s not setup properly for some reason. I’ll take a look, thanks.

• absurdity

…wait, what? There have been customizations for Windows forever, it’s never meant Microsoft is going to stop making operating systems.

• csroc

waa waaa

I don’t really miss the start menu, I’m fine with 8. The only change here that I think is useful is to make it easier for people to boot to desktop mode (granted since I don’t reboot often I’m not much bothered by it one way or the other). If MS really wants us to move on from the start menu I don’t really have a problem with that.

• gamoniac

So you never have to search for a folder with arbitrary name (GUID, etc) or a photo with unique name on your PC?

And as I said, it’s about continuity. My comment applies to switching between apps too. Imagine someone sent you a screenshot of an error; you can’t copy it. Now try to search for it in IE10 Metro without looking at it again — Error code: 0xe0438752645240

How about that?

• Barbas

It’s pretty easy to boot into the Desktop with Win8 too, that’s what I do.

• LostCat

Windows Updates alert you with the little action flag in the corner.

It’s also the new shortcut to get there (right click on it.)

• MadManOriginal

And the major one, greatly reduce BSODs due to bad drivers. Low level hardware access is a completely foolish thing to ask for. (Maybe this falls under ‘simpler development.)

• Deanjo

[quote<]If anything, petition AMD and Nvidia to bring the kind of low level access they allow on consoles to the PC.[/quote<] That would require a huge major change to Windows itself to allow that kind of low level access which was removed in favor of security and simpler development.

• Ryhadar

There are a few things that irk me about windows 8 still. Scheduled tasks can’t be set up to send e-mail or display a message, for example. Windows updates don’t alert you on the task bar. Microsoft expects you to download programs from the store to replace one’s they didn’t supply with the OS by default.

I could go on, I guess.

It’s not a bad OS and I definitely don’t mind having it on my laptop (I even like the the appearance better than Aero) buuuuut I’m not “upgrading” from 7 any time soon on my other machines.

• Deanjo

Just like DOS! Welcome to 1981.

• MadManOriginal

If you can’t remember what you were looking for 3 seconds prior you’ve got more serious problems than whether the Start Screen/Menu is full screen or not.

• MadManOriginal

I’m not sure you’ve even used Windows for the last 6 years.

• gamoniac

The problem is not giving people choices. Microsoft has failed in change management and customer expectation in a big way.

As far as usage, with Start Menu, you can’t see the other windows on the desktop. You have to flip back and forth if you can’t remember what is it that you are searching for. Continuity is lost. The same issue can be said about Metro apps in general — you have only one Window. It should have been called “Window 8”, not Windows 8.

Typing from “Window 8 Pro”, Metro IE10.

Edit: minor update for clarity.

• hoboGeek

I work in Desktop environment, if I press “Start”, I go back to MUI… I don’t want that

• Game_boy

What do you want in DX12 that can’t be accomplished with shader programs?

• 5150

“Start” -> type first few letters of program you want to launch -> “Enter” -> Stop bitching.

I’ll just assume that the downvotes are because I types “Start” instead of “Windows key”. Yeah, that’s it. I’m not even going to fix it because I care so very little.

• Delphis

You say that like losing this ‘Metro’ crap would be a bad thing?

Computer OS for my computers, tablet OS for my tablets. One size is never going to ‘fit all’ so stop trying, Microsoft

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t like the start menu in 7 either. It was much better in XP, which is why I use classic shell, which gives you a classic start menu with search and graphical enhancements. I don’t need or want a full screen start menu, nor do I care to participate in a vendor lock-in app store scam.

Truthfully, this controversy is just what we’ve needed, as now there are multiple start menu alternatives available, and you can pick and choose which one you like best. There are even versions that make Metro run in a window. I think the community has outright taken over Microsoft’s job and implemented their own fixes.

IMO, it’s only a matter of time before the only thing MS really offers is the kernel, and everything else will be customized 3rd party apps.

• Tristan

If MS bring back start button and booting to desktop, then they really back to win 7 philosophy. By this way Win 8 will not get more popularity, and their ‘Metro philosophy’ will be lost.
    I think that they speed up modernizing Modern UI, instead of back to nonwhere.

• Airmantharp

I haven’t used Windows 8 for ‘work’, but Windows XP is still running on two of the three machines I use every day (please, please laugh). On my personal machines, though, it doesn’t make any difference for usability. Yeah, stuff moved; but then I found it.

And that’s without using the Start Screen. I spend most of my time in Desktop Chrome for browsing and Netflix.

• tanker27

YAY? Whatever. >.<

• l33t-g4m3r

It’s a [i<]start[/i<]. Now bring back Aero, fix scaling, and start working on dx12. I'd also like to see a return of the customizable features that have been slowly disappearing since vista, including the taskbar, explorer, and the control panel.

• maxxcool

hahahahahaha file this up there with mr. fired ala #getoverit ….

• MadManOriginal

I agree. And also…[url=http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37042717.jpg<]this[/url<].

• henfactor

I see what you did there- thumbs for you sir

• brute

well put

• flip-mode
    • flip-mode

I use the Start Screen. It’s completely non-problematic. It’s easy to customize and organize. It’s easy to find stuff.

I still have to customize the Start Menu in Windows 7 – but it’s not as easy to do as it is in Windows 8, and stuff is harder to find unless you’ve pinned things and customized things.

I don’t understand the dislike of the Start Screen. It’s perfectly functional.

The chaffing over the lack of an actual *button* to get the to Start Screen is somewhat understandable, but only somewhat. Sheesh, move your mouse to the corner. Or press the windows key.

• Oldtech

From another web site:

Open gpedit

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization

Choose “Do not display the lock screen” and change it to enabled.

Never mind. This is for another annoyance: the goofy screen with the clock on it.

• Shambles

Not really a reason for me to upgrade. The last time I saw the “Metro” screen was about 10 minutes after installing Windows 8.

Share this post with your friends!