Haswell convertible Ultrabook has 10-hour battery

One of the downsides of today’s Ivy Bridge-powered convertible tablets is their mediocre battery life. For example, the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T we reviewed last month ran out of juice after just 6.4 hours in our web-browsing test—and the screen went dark after just 5.3 hours of video playback.

Happily, Intel’s next-gen Haswell processors should improve those figures dramatically. The folks at Engadget got to play around with a Haswell convertible at an Intel event in London, and they say the machine is supposed to run for 10 hours in tablet mode. Connecting the tablet portion to the keyboard dock, which contains additional battery cells, is supposed to lengthen battery life to an impressive 13 hours.

Yeah, that’s an improvement for sure.

This Ultrabook prototype has another interesting feature. The screen is a 13.3", 1080p specimen, but according to Engadget, "Intel designed [the machine] so that when it’s undocked from the keyboard, the screen shrinks to a more hand-friendly 11.6-inch capacitive display that will ignore your grip along the sides of the screen." It’s not clear whether the reduced resolution has an effect on backlight power use—and thus battery life—but it sounds neat regardless.

Haswell is expected to debut on the desktop in early June. There’s no word yet on when the first ultrabook-ready variants of the chip will arrive, though.

• Grape Flavor

Everything I read about Haswell and Windows Blue sounds like a big step forward. It sounds like we’re finally going to get to see the full potential of this new vision for computing. I just hope the flawed Win8/Ivy experience we have now hasn’t poisoned the well so badly that people won’t even pay attention to what’s improved.

Looking forward to this.

• HisDivineOrder

I’d rather have the larger screen than have my screen use software to reduce itself.

• maxxcool

bs metric. half brightness, idle sitting on a desk. give me a laptop that at 80-90% brightness (so i can see it in a well lit room without pressing my face to it.) that lasts 8 hours without weighing 6+ pounds,… then call me.

• smilingcrow

Well at least leave a number!

• cynan

I can’t see how having a smaller screen in tablet mode translates to a good feature. Not to mention, being encouraged to grip the device by the screen just seems to be asking for problems above and beyond the increased fingerprint accumulation around the edges of the display when you re-dock it.

• Peldor

Seems perfectly obvious to me. You get a 13″ laptop screen without a fat border around it which would turn this into a much less portable device. 11.6″ is still a very large display for a tablet (which is held closer than a laptop frequently), and you won’t be obscuring the screen or getting erroneous inputs every time your fingers shift while holding it in tablet mode.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]when it's undocked from the keyboard, the screen shrinks to a more hand-friendly 11.6-inch capacitive display that will ignore your grip along the sides of the screen.[/quote<] This is a little weird.. I think I'd personally prefer it being 11.6" at all times, so when I undock it, the tablet would be lighter and smaller. I remember the laptops from some 15 years ago with 3" bezels. Those looked so odd

• anotherengineer

Bah, need at least 17 hrs.

Make the entire outer skin of solar cells for the cool gloss black/charcoal look and see what you can get out of the battery then.

• cynan

Unless you normally use computers outside, in direct sunlight, not much more.

• anotherengineer

Be interesting to see, my calculator runs fine on solar inside under florescent lighting, although it is a lot less power, but then again the solar cell is a lot smaller.

[url<]http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8416646/Solar-Power/18W-Solar-Panel-with-7A-Charge-Controller[/url<] Seen then for half price, so should be able to get about 8-10W, that could extend an ULV's runtime quite a bit, but probably wouldn't help durability. Hey make it an option ($75 - solar cell covered lid) 🙂

• NeelyCam

Good think you’re in the 1% so you can afford that

• anotherengineer

I have been collecting the small solar cells from pocket calculators for a long time now 😉

• forumics

just a couple of years ago, laptops were expected to last 2 – 3 hours.
      to expect 17 hrs now would simply be asking too much don’t you think?

why not you try putting $100 into a bank and see if you’ll get $500 after a couple of years?

• anotherengineer

You could get a lot more than that in the 80’s when interest rate was at 14%.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m excited. Between this improvement and a number of other tweaks like actual docking ability for a win 8 pro tablet I’m excited to see what happens with the next gen surface. Its a product I’m eager to try out and it isn’t so half baked this time, buy!

• deruberhanyok

You know, I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have a laptop that lasts 5-6 hours on a battery charge.

I didn’t realize that was “mediocre” but then, my laptop only makes it about half an hour on battery at this point (it’s 7ish years old), and last time I’d looked “about 3 hours” was considered pretty good.

This bodes well for a future laptop purchase!

• NeelyCam

You must have an AMD laptop. My Intel CULV laptop from five years ago (which I’m using to type this message) still gets about 6h on battery.

• forumics

my 5 yr old intel run for only 10 minutes.

lesson learnt: never run your laptop connected to your battery when its not needed. the higher temperatures will kill the battery really fast

• deruberhanyok

Truth!

• NeelyCam

Which OEM? Must’ve used a crappy battery..

• deruberhanyok

No, it’s an old Intel Pentium M system. Before the “Core” series.

That’s pretty awesome, though.

• ludi

Please. My CULV laptop from four years ago also gets about 5 hours, but that’s because it’s a CULV with an 11.6″ display, not because it’s an Intel.

• deruberhanyok

yeah, 15″ screen here. It’s been a good laptop, but after 7 years I’m happy I can still get half an hour out of it, to be honest. 🙂

• NeelyCam

Smaller display helps a bit, but most of the low power consumption is because of the CULV goodness.

• ludi

But not every Intel notebook is (or was) a CULV.

• NeelyCam

Sure. But ludi’s and mine are, and that’s what ludi and I were talking about

• Derfer

You must have missed the CULV explosion. We had latops running 10-14 hours all over the place. Then Intel decided laptops have to be thin enough to cut people in half and we lost all the battery space.

• travbrad

[quote<]Then Intel decided laptops have to be thin enough to cut people in half [/quote<] They prefer to call it real world hyper-threading.

• deruberhanyok

Yes, it’s an old Pentium M system, from before the “Core” series and the CULV line came out.

• dragosmp

At work I use some finite element software and what helped the most in these last few years are the SSDs.
    For the most part I don’t care about Haswell consuming less power, ARM has got that covered for the moment. I would like Intel would go further on the path of increasing single threaded performance and memory access latency – Haswell seems to do very little on per thread performance; if the eDRAM is used like a huge L4 cache this could improve quite a bit the average access time latency for a give workload, thus performance.

• shank15217

Why wouldn’t you just run these on servers?

• DancinJack

^This

• mganai

Alas, they have no competition on the high end.

Intel sees more money to be made from the lower power segments. And by extension, ARM as their competition.

• pedro

This gen is all about ‘low power’ and I, for one, am very happy that Intel have taken that road.

• hasseb64

Well, Haswell is about “low power” AND “improved GPU”