Report: Samsung prepping 11-inch Nexus, Galaxy tablets

Modern tablets come in all shapes and sizes, and even more variety may be on the way. SamMobile has published purported details on several upcoming Samsung slates, including two models with 11″ screen. One of those will be the Nexus 11, which is being built in cooperation with Google and should run a stock version of the company’s Android OS. That machine will apparently feature an 11″ Super PLS panel paired with Samsung’s octa-core Exynos 5410 processor. There’s no word on the pixel density of the display, but we can probably expect a resolution of at least 2560×1600. The existing Nexus 10 has a 2560×1600 display, and the Chromebook Pixel boasts a slightly higher 2560×1700 resolution with an unusual 3:2 aspect ratio.

SamMobile doesn’t name its source, but the site claims the Nexus 11 will be joined by the Galaxy Tab 11. The Galaxy-branded tablet will supposedly share the same screen technology but sport a less exotic dual-core Exynos 5250 SoC. A microSD slot is planned for the Galaxy Tab, SamMobile says, and the same feature is “rumored” for the Nexus 11. I wouldn’t hold my breath for Nexus-branded device with SD expansion, though. Despite the presence of microSD slots on loads of other Android-based devices, the Nexus 4, 7, and 10 all go without.

If you prefer smaller screens, Samsung appears to have several new models in the pipeline. The most interesting is the Galaxy Tab 8.0, which is supposed to have a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor and a 1080p AMOLED display. That model is likely being prepared to do battle with Apple’s rumored iPad Mini refresh. The SamMobile story also mentions the Galaxy Tab Duos 7.0, a super-sized phablet with a pedestrian 1024×600 display but support for dual SIM cards.

As smaller tablets in the 7-8″ range grow more popular, I wouldn’t be surprised to see device makers experimenting with designs larger than 10″. Microsoft’s Surface tablets are already pushing toward 11″ territory with their 10.6″ screens, and I suspect Intel’s upcoming Haswell microprocessor will spawn a stack of convertible tablets with 11-13″ displays. As long as the weight can be kept down, larger slates do have some appeal—especially for couch surfing, where portability is less of a concern.

• trackerben

The usefullness of such a system would also depend much on its battery life. Running four radios at a time is a very tasking profile.

• HisDivineOrder

The only reason people ever doubted the popularity of a 7-8″ tablet was because Steve Jobs said so. Steve Jobs was a lot like Doctor Who. He was quirky, demanding, charming, abusive, alien, more human than humans are, and intelligent in many ways while ignorant in many others. But most of all, the number one rule for Doctor Who is true for Jobs. He lies. A lot.

The man said a 7″ tablet would be like using sandpaper because Apple did not have one to sell and had not yet worked out a cost-effective way to do so without it costing so close to the iPad that it would have been pointless. He didn’t want to cannibalize sales of the iPad he already had to sell another one that would simply reduce iPad sales and increase cost to manufacture each device due to less sales per unit (and reduced economy of scale).

So he said it would be horrible. He always planned a smaller version when it became cost effective and on the day he released it, he would have espoused it as magic and awesome and finally being the very first 7-8″ device that worked “simply the way it should.”

He had such clout that he actually convinced lots of pundits and tech bloggers and regular people that 7-8″ tablets would not be something they’d want, but a lot of that came down to the RDF, which has already diminished considerably now.

The 7-8″ tablet space was always going to be big and just about anyone with a brain who didn’t have an existing 9.7″ tablet to sell you should have known and said this.

• willmore

Yes, that alone, would be a reason to get the 11″.

• willmore

Dot pitch? That’s a CRT term. There is no ‘dot pitch’ in LCDs. Pixel pitch, maybe, but PPI is the general term used for LCDs.

If you’re complaining about the PPI of a 7″ 1280×800 tablet, then you’ve got even better eyesight than I do.

• Spunjji

There is no pleasing some people. Behold:

“There’s no word on the pixel density of the display”
    Seems to be addressing dot pitch pretty directly to me.

Even better:
    “we can probably expect a resolution of at least 2560×1600″
    Not sure how that’s at all obfuscatory. Given that we are given a good bash at the panel type (PLS, so 3-subpixels) and we know the size (11”), we can use some nice easily available tools to do the rest:

[url<]http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html[/url<] Happy now? 🙂

• Spunjji

16:10 is a very good compromise; even 3:2 is preferable. 4:3 is simply not a good ratio for all-round usage on a device that’s geared towards media consumption.

Even so, I can understand the desire to see more variety.

• Spunjji

You explained the answer in your opening paragraph: “larger was better if you were willing to carry it”. These products are the answers to the question “what am I willing to carry”.

Rather than getting picky about the rest of that post, allow me to summarise with a quote:
    “All garbage, clearly.”

• shaurz

The Nexus 10 needed an SoC upgrade. Exynos 5250 is a tad underpowered for such a high resolution.

• dalingrin

What a silly post.
    Just because there are a variety of screen sizes doesn’t mean they expect you to need all of them.

You explained why there are different size devices yourself.
    “When it came to laptops, larger was better if you were willing to carry it and had the battery for it”

Why do you think this doesn’t also apply to phones and/or tablets?

• MadManOriginal

I’m not sure why you expect the ideal screen size to be figured out for a type of product that for all practical purposes has only been around for 3 years.

• Sahrin

Disagree. As long as the vertical resolution is about 1080 (ideally in the 1600 range) then a 16×9 is fine (maybe even preferrable) because sites can be comfortably read in portrait. The key is to keep the vertical dimension as big as possible with as high a resolution as possible – not to squish down the horizontal, which is absolutely crucial for video content.

• Sahrin

I’ve often read the hardware sites (including TR) bitch about the dot pitch in displays, particularly those in notebooks.

This article goes on for quite a bit about the panel in the “Nexus 11″ – but not once does it address dot pitch. It continuously regurgitates the manufacturer’s completely obfuscatory ‘resolution’ spec. If TR was serious about the dot pitch issue, it would stop talking about it, and instead report dot pitches and diagonal sizes. Give readers meaningful data, not blind numbers.

Also, I hate the 7-8 inch range. I’ve now owned 2 different 7″class tablets and neither of them was satisfactory in any respect (weight, performance, screen size). 7″ tablets are the new netbooks. I’d almost prefer a shitty panel in a 10″ tablet to a 7” tablet with IPS. (…you know what, strike the almost).

• rechicero

What the Android market need is more 4:3 tablets. It’s sad to have to go brands like Archos to find a reasonable 4:3 Android tablet.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]I'm willing to pay a premium for some exotic battery material that gives extended battery life without increasing size/weight.[/quote<] You and every car and plane manufacturer in the world.

• nico1982

They can alleviate the issue by having a slightly larger docking station: 2-3 cm in the back like the Dell Adamo are not going to limit the mobility. They would also be able to fit an ethernet port while keeping an overall thin profile when closed.

• smilingcrow

Just pre-ordered one for my band’s drummer.
    I think it supports Android 5.11 (code name: Inexplicable Drowning)

• Vulk

On that last point you’ll be waiting awhile.

• Neutronbeam

Wow; it goes all the way up to 11!

• NeelyCam

[quote<]I suspect Intel's upcoming Haswell microprocessor will spawn a stack of convertible tablets with 11-13" displays.[/quote<] Detachable ones seem like they'd suffer from center of weight issues when they are in the "laptop" mode.. I wouldn't want one that tips over (or has no angle adjustment). Overall, something like Lenovo Yoga might fit my needs/wants better. But no larger than 11.6", please.. Oh, and I'm willing to pay a premium for some exotic battery material that gives extended battery life without increasing size/weight.

• holophrastic

wholly carp, those are a lot of sizes for the same device. Useless or not, 4,7,10,11 all for the same device just showcases the lot nature of an industry that hasn’t the foggiest notion.

So help me out. When it came to desktop monitors, larger was better if you could afford it, and had the desk space. Each and every time for everything. When it came to laptops, larger was better if you were willing to carry it and had the battery for it. Each and every time for everything.

So when do I want my pocket-device to be 4, and when do I want it to be 7 and when do I want it to be 11, and when do I want it to be 10? Is this supposed to match my man-purse, or my pocket, or my task? What the hell kind of application requires 4 but can’t use 7, and when I need 11 to I throw out my 4?

Does someone want me to have a 4, and 7, and 11? 4 for the sports car and 11 for the truck? And 7 for what, the minivan?

All garbage, clearly.

• dpaus

[quote<]a super-sized phablet with a pedestrian 1024x600 display but support for dual SIM cards[/quote<] My First thought is that this could be a perfect system for world travellers who don't need a lot of local computing power (i.e., sales reps, consultants, etc.)

Share this post with your friends!