Gigabyte previews fresh EasyTune software for Haswell motherboards

Gigabyte continues to tease us with brief glimpses of its upcoming Haswell goodies. A handful of tightly cropped board shots were released a couple of weeks ago, and now we’re getting a preview of the accompanying software. Gigabyte has posted screenshots of its next-generation EasyTune tweaking application, and it looks like quite a departure from the current incarnation.

As early as CES 2012, Gigabyte pledged to revamp its motherboard software. The existing collection of applications is rather dated, with inconsistent and sometimes clumsy user interfaces. This new version of EasyTune appears to be a big improvement, with a single application and consistent interface covering overclocking, power tuning, and fan control.

Based on the screenshot above, it looks like Gigabyte’s Smart QuickBoost auto-overclocking scheme now includes an auto-tuning mechanism on top of its preset profiles. The auto-tuner should do a better job of honing in on a system’s peak clock speed than the pre-baked profiles, which don’t take system stability into account. Auto-overclocking mechanisms are great for newbies, and even seasoned overclockers can use them as a prelude to manual tweaking. EasyTune is likely to provide plenty of advanced options for folks who want to get their hands dirty.

As platform integration makes motherboards more difficult to differentiate on the hardware level, features like firmware and software have become increasingly important. Modern motherboard software is certainly much improved over the throwaway apps and awful interfaces of yesteryear. The new version of EasyTune looks like a nice upgrade over Gigabyte’s existing apps, and I’m curious to see how, ahem, easy it is to use. We should know soon enough; Haswell’s official unveiling is just a month away.

• slowriot

Interface still looks HORRIBLE. Why can’t motherboard manufacturers use standard Windows UI elements? Why can’t they hire at least one person with UI design experience?

• indeego

Design Patents.

Because $$$.

• Derfer

Have you seen their UEFI? You can still complain but this is a pretty big step up for them.

• slowriot

My last motherboard came down between an AsRock and Gigabyte and I went with the AsRock in part because their UEFI implementation was better than Gigabytes. So yes… I have seen their UEFI. This is a step forward but I find it frustrating their still making many of the same mistakes.

• moose17145

[quote<]Fan speed controls are also included in the new EasyTune app, complete with a profile graph that appears to offer multiple manipulation points. Current EasyTune implementations feature a similar fan speed graph, but with fewer points along the curve.[/quote<] Still waiting for something that compares to what Abit was doing with its uGuru fan control from a DECADE ago...

• ColeLT1

My past 3 boards (DFI NF4 SLIDR 939, DFI x48 socket 775, and EVGA x58sli) all had fan controls based on different sensors. I could have my 939 x2 idling with the zalman 9500 passive cooling and temps in the low 30s, and the fan turn on >40, the power fan header hooked to the rear case fan and it would cool the power area (x48 board had this tower cooler thing that you attached to the digital pwm chips), the northbridge fan (remember those) adjusting to load, and all the case fans adjusting to board temp.

Now my Asus z77 vpro adjust ALL FANS on CPU temp alone. So my corsair 800d has 3x140mm fans and 3x120mm (on top radiator) all dependent on one reading, my cpu temp. So if I fire off something small, like check windows for updates, all 6 fans are going to rev up, then back down.

• ronch

I don’t know if it’s just me, but over the years I’ve grown indifferent towards these utilities that board makers bundle with their hardware. Is it because they tend to be clunky and slow? Or unreliable? Or those Taiwanese just can’t make software that feels professional and not like they’re just quickly hobbled together so they can put one more cheesy logo on the box?

Perhaps this is an exception but again, I’ve grown indifferent.

• MadManOriginal

It looks like a nice improvement, but I’d prefer to see tuning options like this in BIOS first. It’s not as big a deal any more, but having a bunch of software running in the background all the time is less than ideal.

• smilingcrow

With the Asus utilities suite I had to give 7 different processes security privileges every time I booted and 2 when coming out of sleep! Un-installed as I only wanted fan control and Speedan works better than Asus on my Z77M board. Shame as the ASUS fan controller is good, with the software version better than BIOS.

At least Gigabyte dropped the awful GUI they used to have back in the day. That was really ugly.

• epoon2

If the software is not crappy, software wins 90% of times vs BIOS.

lol, now, a big IF.