Swapping out a mechanical drive for an SSD is usually pretty easy. Transferring your OS installation can be more difficult. Fret not, though, because Corsair has your back; the company has released an upgrade kit designed to smooth out the process.
Priced at $24.99, the SSD & Hard Disk Drive Cloning Kit includes data migration software, a USB to Serial ATA cable adapter, and a manual. The cable supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds up to 180MB/s and is, of course, backward-compatible with USB 2.0 ports. As for the software, Corsair touts support for all versions of Windows from XP onward, plus OS X. There's a three-year warranty, too, although I can't imagine why you'd need tech support for a cable adapter, a paper manual, and a CD-ROM.
Well, maybe if you don't have a CD drive, which may be the case if you're trying to upgrade recent notebook PC. Considering the kit's $24.99 asking price, I would have liked to see Corsair include the migration software on one of its USB thumb drives instead of an optical disc.
In related news, Corsair has also released the SSD Toolbox, a free utility with all kinds of monitoring and management gizmos for Corsair solid-state drives. I'll let Corsair outline the features:
- Drive Information – Displays model, size, firmware, serial number, other key data, and updates SSD firmware
- Over-provisioning – Allows allocation of SSD space to enhance endurance and performanceSMART Status – Displays Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology status of drives
- Secure Wipe – Securely erases data from drives
- Optimize – Allows scheduling of TRIM command to optimize SSD performance
- Clone – Copies entire contents of one drive to another (coming in a future update)
The SSD Toolbox is available on the "Downloads" tab of Corsair SSD product pages like this one. It weighs in at just 4.2MB and, as you'd expect, doesn't fully support SSDs from other drive makers.