EA signs exclusive, multi-year deal to make Star Wars games

At the end of last year, Disney bought Lucasfilm and its LucasArts gaming subsidiary for $4 billion. We learned in April that Disney planned to gut LucasArts’ development role and instead focus on farming out the division’s intellectual property. It didn’t take long for the most storied franchise in the catalog to find a suitor: Electronic Arts has inked an exclusive, multi-year deal to make Star Wars games.

I’ll give you a moment to let that sink in—or to slam your face into the keyboard. One of the most reviled publishers in the business now has control over one of the most beloved franchises of our time.

Although the agreement is billed as an exclusive one, Disney retains the right to make Star Wars games for smartphones, tablets, and the web. EA is going for the "core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres." PCs and consoles appear to be EA’s focus, and the press release even reveals a few specifics. BioWare will continue its work within the Star Wars universe, and the studio will be joined by DICE and Visceral of Battlefield and Dead Space fame, respectively.

There’s no word on whether anyone in EA’s stable will continue where LucasArts left off with Star Wars 1313, which was due out this year. The game promised a grittier take on the Star Wars universe, and the trailers looked quite promising. Star Wars 1313 seems to fit with EA’s desire to make games that are "entirely original with all new stories and gameplay," so it may yet have a future.

The financial terms of the deal haven’t been disclosed; neither has the length of the exclusive agreement. Odds are EA will be making Star Wars games for a while, though. Buckle up.

Given the recent SimCity debacle and various offenses related to Origin exclusivity, there’s reason to be worried about EA being the sole provider of Star Wars titles for serious gamers. That said, BioWare, DICE, and Visceral know how to make blockbuster games, and there may be no better franchise suited to the big stage. They can’t do more damage to the franchise than Lucas did himself with the prequel trilogy.

• bfar

Battlelfield: Starwars!!!

• hansmuff

What publishers are really left that we can expect great things from on the PC?
    They all messed up majorly some time or another. Some more than others, sure.

Still, I’m willing to wait for the first title and form an opinion then. If it’s the kind of shit that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, well then let the bashing commence.

Just a friendly reminder not to purchase pre-orders.

• GrimDanfango

Company whose sole purpose has been to bleed every last penny it can out of its customers is handed the reins of a franchise whose sole purpose has been to bleed every last penny it can out of its fans.

Nothing looks out of place to me.

• Krogoth

Somebody needs to make a Death Star version of the EA logo. 😉

• ULYXX

The “up and running Death star” or the “Blow’d up version” ?

• ULYXX

[url=http://25.media.tumblr.com/7cc3e5920a143d463b4733ae8b5540c8/tumblr_mmh0mqTIO21sqsiefo1_500.jpg<]here you go[/url<] Im still quite noobish in photoshop. 😛

• swiffer

[url=https://techreport.com/forums/faq.php?mode=bbcode#f40<]Right here.[/url<]

• ULYXX

Thanks!! Only took me about 5 tries. Heh.

• krazyredboy

Do you think “Sith City,” is an option?

Might be cool! Ya know…until the servers crash, on release day…when millions of voices suddenly cry out and are immediately silenced…because, EA stopped answering the phones…

• Grigory

I miss SWG. :/

• BIF

[quote<]Geoff: "Given the recent SimCity debacle and various offenses related to Origin exclusivity, there's reason to be worried about EA being the sole provider of Star Wars titles for serious gamers. That said,..." [/quote<] When you say "that said" or "but", you are typically trying to cancel out what you said just prior. To which I must respond, "that said my ass!" A screwed up Sim City is the symptom of all other problems here, which were begetted from management incompetence. I'm sorry, but they are * NOT * ready for Star Wars.

• tfp

No they are more than ready to screw up Star Wars as well.

• HisDivineOrder

I don’t have a big problem with EA when I compare them to Activision (Diablo/SC, online-only DRM, WoW dumbing, mount purchases, Call of Duty redux, the milking of Guiltar Hero, the milking of Tony Hawk), Ubisoft (constant delays on PC ports, online-only DRM was their big innovation, UPlay! sucks ass), or any publisher who infects their PC games with Games for Windows Live (Bethesda’s only recently stopped, Rockstar is horrible at it). Plus, they could have a long history of supporting PC gaming only to just abruptly not support PC gaming, like Microsoft or Epic. Both of those last two also love Games for Windows Live.

So while I can understand hating EA, I hate them about as much as I hate any publisher. Plus, EA did give me Mass Effect 1-3, Dragon Age Origins, Dead Space 1-2, Burnout Paradise City, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted, Battlefield 3, the Frostbyte 2 engine…

I’d say EA is probably the best big publisher to even get Star Wars. Imagine if Activision had it. Or Ubisoft. If THQ were still around, I’d point to them as a great holder, but they aren’t.

At least EA can task the guys behind Battlefield 3 to make us a Battlefront game. They can put Visceral onto an actual dark and gritty and scary Star Wars game that we can be reasonably sure will be good, if not great. Certainly, I feel more assured by it than I did by 1313, which every insider report says was turning out to be The Force Unleashed 2-like. And Bioware having full control of the Star Wars license means that KOTOR3 just got a little more likely. They make more than one game at a time.

Too bad we don’t have Criterion making us Star Wars racing with a more serious angle and EA tasking a developer to give us a successor to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, but I can be patient.

But if Activision had gotten this license, they would have did with it what they did with the Bond franchise.

If Lucasarts continued as they have been, they would have given us more games like Star Wars Kinect and The Force Unleashed 2. What makes you think 1313 would be better? There’s no reason to believe it would have been. They were having so much horrible turnover they were a developer in crisis who had the benefit of endless supplies of George Lucas money to keep afloat. Any other developer would have collapsed a long time ago from the sheer horrible quality and long development times of the games they were producing.

EA is probably the best place for the license to go, mostly due to the increased likelihood of Bioware making us another REAL KOTOR game.

Your point is valid, It is a sign of the times that almost every publisher is reviled for good reason.

• mcnabney

You are forgetting that Bioware made DA:Origins and the first Mass Effect before EA. It takes time for EA to destroy what they paid hundreds of millions for. The second KOTOR was done by Obsidian and it would have been awesome (ending was put together in a couple days to meet the deadline) if Lucasarts didn’t force them to release it too early. The second Dragon Age was a tiny, rushed, crapfest that used the same maps over and over. If DA3 sucks as well, we know that Bioware is done.

Oh, and KOTOR3 is probably impossible now. SW:TOR has boxed it in with canon that will restrict any direct sequel to Revan and The Exile.

• Sahrin

[quote<]EA did give me Mass Effect 1-3[/quote<] Mass Effect 1 and 2 were developed independently by BioWare, EA bought BW *after* ME2 went gold (but before release). At that point, ME3 was also long into development...the part of ME3 that EA had the most influence over was, ironically, the ending.

• destroy.all.monsters

Squeenix is the only major publisher that consistently delivers on quality (at least on the PC side) and doesn’t have a bunch of terrible DRM schemes. Ironically they’re on the ropes.

• gmskking

I think I will pass

• Voldenuit

Is it scary that something [url=http://kotaku.com/aussie-star-wars-isnt-exactly-canon-492802040<]like this[/url<] is way more awesome than anything EA could do to the franchise?

• MadManOriginal

Awesome.

• maxxcool

If Lucas doesn’t care, then neither do I, just won’t but it…

• albundy

wont they ruin it the same way they ruined sim city?

• squeeb

Nothing is sacred anymore..

• odizzido

I have been playing games since games first started coming out pretty much, and I am looking at the number of good games I have played from EA out of what seems to be hundreds. I counted seven. Seven good ones, and two the were kinda okay.

This does not bode well.

• davidbowser

[quote<]I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.[/quote<] All kidding aside, if it means that more [b<]good[/b<] Star Wars games get made, then I am fine with it.

• BIF

As long as they don’t let the Maxis people work on it.

• Wildchild

In other news, Justin Beiber has been confirmed to play as Luke Skywalker’s son in the new trilogy.

• Deanjo

LIES!!! Luke doesn’t have a son, Leia and Han do but the kid is suspiciously hairy.

• sircharles32

Ahem, Ben Skywalker, son to Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade Skywalker. I suggest you do some reading.

• NeelyCam

Reading? You must be confused – Star Wars is a [b<]movie[/b<] series

• HisDivineOrder

According to insiders, he is also reported to having practiced and practiced and really nailed his first scene where he is told he is a Skywalker and that his legacy is one of french kissing his own sister and killing almost all the Jedi in the known galaxy.

To which, the character exclaimed, “Yippie!”

Wiping away a tear, Luke nodded. “Just like dad.”

• superjawes

You spelled “daughter” wrong.

• Krogoth

EA: “You shall witness the destruction of your precious franchise with this fully operational digital sweatshop!”

• Deanjo

If you have ever been to EA Canada, you would love to work in that “sweatshop”.

• Krogoth

You haven’t heard the horror stories of many ex-EA employees. Anybody who isn’t in upper management are treated like crap under insane pressure and dead-lines.

• Deanjo

I know a few coders over @ EA Canada, they have nothing but praise.

• Krogoth

EA Canada is one just division and they happen to take care of the roster update franchises. Not exactly demanding nor requires oversight by upper management.

• Deanjo

And ex-employees are usually disgruntled at their former employers, no big surprise there. Periodical releases also bring with them an extremely rigid schedule in which time do you not only have to update assets but also engines, new franchises, etc. Take a look at NHL, FIFA, Need for Speed over the years and tell me they are just “roster updates”. Also, in nearly every software development company there is deadlines to meet and if you ask their coders they will almost always say there is not as much time to accomplish it as they would like.

• Krogoth

Roster updates only experience significant engine and coding upgrades when there’s a new generation of gaming consoles. Otherwise, they are just updating models and player stats.

• Deanjo

Not even close Krogoth, on average there is a major engine upgrade every two or three years in the case of FIFA and NHL. Last major upgrade for NHL was in 2011, a smaller one in 2012 and another huge one is due with 2014. There have been many changes since 2005.

• willyolio

ex-USA-EA employees.

• tfp

Welcome to software development…

• HisDivineOrder

“Young fool. Only now at the end do you understand!”

[url=http://nooooooooooooooo.com/<]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/url<]

• Star Brood

…And somewhere in the world, a small puppy dies.

• Krogoth

I suddenly feel that millions of SW geeks and gamers cry out in terror then were silenced….. I feel that something terrible has happened.

• DeadOfKnight

Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, spanning virtually all platforms and even making up a large portion of fan made mods as well. Of course any big publisher would want to get exclusive rights to it if given the chance. I really think it is too much to hope for any less to happen given the circumstances. It is clearly a good investment for both Disney and EA, even if they are evil.

• Deanjo

As much flack as EA gets, I still can’t say that I have had any more trouble with their games then any other publisher. Maybe it’s because I usually wait until games are drastically reduced in price and 6+ months old before I buy them and by then the issues are patched.

• Krogoth

EA’s biggest problem is that keep buying out IP and then 9 of 10 times they end-up crashing and burning the IP down with uninspired shovelware while holding onto the rights.

Some of their recent business moves and anti-priacy measures were boneheaded from the start not that they possess a monopoly on this. I’m look at you Blizzard-Activision and Ubisoft.

• Deanjo

The days of small studios are done, get over it. The only reason to start a small studio now days is to hopefully get recognized by the large companies and hopefully get bought out. Small studios cannot simply compete anymore unless they have a sugar daddy with deep pockets.

• Wildchild

I’d say that’s only true if you’re developing cross-platform games. Getting a game onto consoles isn’t cheap compared to PC’s and phones. Just look at the huge influx of indie games in the past few years and then tell me small studios are done.

• Deanjo

I am talking about mainstream gaming. Yes there are small indies, but very few of them are as in depth as a AAA title. There are exceptions to every rule but I wouldn’t compare Snip the Rope, Angry Birds or Legend of Grimrock to the likes of StarCraft, Bioshock and Elderscrolls.

• Wildchild

That’s completely up to the player. I almost didn’t study for my midterms because I was completely absorbed into the Binding of Isaac. Games don’t have to be AAA to have tons of depth and replay value.

• Deanjo

They are still light years apart in terms of production costs. While some may enjoy a game that would run on 10 year old machines, I doubt very much that you would pay $60 for that same title. Chances are that you probably bought it in a Humble Bundle with many other small games for far less.

• Wildchild

Most AAA games barely even warrant that $60 price tag with how short they’ve become and what little replay value they have to offer. Keep in mind that a lot of the production costs don’t go into the game itself, but into advertising and marketing. And I can’t believe you are making the “it cost more, so it must be better” argument.

• Deanjo

The cost of developing just the scenery assets alone for Skyrim I can guarantee you exceeds the entire budget of McMillian’s games in total.

• Wildchild

And then people provided free mods afterwards that made everything look better.

• Deanjo

Yup, and they worked for free, on their own time and didn’t expect any financial gain from it. How many of those modders are making a living from it. Oh ya, the good modders get hired by the studios because of their work for their upcoming projects.

• Wildchild

While, I agree; this is getting really off topic. My initial point was that small studios aren’t going anywhere. I don’t hate AAA games (not all of them, at least), I just think there’s more to a game than how much money is poured into it.

• Deanjo

There absolutely is more to a game then just the amount of money poured into it, no argument there but you really can’t compare a small indie game to a AAA title in many more areas. The smaller companies I was initially referring to were small companies that were able to at one time release AAA titles on their own. Those days are done, just ask 3D Realms.

• superjawes

It’s not about the price of the game, it’s about how much money goes into development. A lot of those AAA titles might be marginally improved and, in our minds, not worth $60, but you can’t say that indie titles are more polished than games like Call of Duty.

There are graphical limitations to limited budgets. Heck there are content limitations with limited budgets, which is why Kickstarter campaigns have expansions as stretch goals.

I don’t think small developers are gone or going away, but the ones around aren’t competing directly with AAA titles.

• Deanjo

The small developers that I was initially referring to were the likes of Origin, Westwood, Bioware, etc. On their own, they were starting to have a tough time of it with the increasing cost of production to maintain the “next greatest thing” status. Take a look at even a lot of AAA titles and people are constantly remarking “meh, not impressed with those graphics, this game engine is soo old” etc. Too keep that eye candy coming along (which is still probably the single most factor that actually entices most people to buy games) they need a much larger budget and manpower and this is what the large entities like EA is able to bring to them.

How many graphic cards reviews do we see comments asking for benchmarks using “Super Meat Boy” or the “World of Goo”?

• travbrad

[quote<]I doubt very much that you would pay $60 for that same title. [/quote<] I don't really pay $60 for ANY game, AAA or not. I have the patience to wait a few months and usually get it for half the price. I can't even remember the last time I paid $60 for a game (Half Life 2 box maybe, but that was technically about 10 games/mods)

• Deanjo

You may not, but many, many, many do.

• travbrad

[quote<]but very few of them are as in depth as a AAA title[/quote<] That really depends on your definition of "in depth" and which games you are playing. The gameplay in many AAA titles is actually very simplistic. I would say Faster Than Light (for example) is a lot more "in depth" than any Call of Duty game. Sure when you compare the most dumbed down Indie games to the very best AAA games, it doesn't look good for Indie games, but you can do that the other way as well.

• Voldenuit

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Antichamber, Thomas was Alone, Fez are insanely “deep” games and all indies.

• Deanjo

And are all rare exceptions. How many indies go absolutely nowhere?

• Voldenuit

Sadly, good AAA are also hard to come by, and *deep* AAAs are definitely the exception.

• Krogoth

I argue that the era of major publishers is coming to an end. They are fighting an existential battle of relevance just like old media (RIAA/MPAA). The middleman is no longer needed in the era of digital distribution. The developer can directly market with their intended audience and receive all of the economic benefits. THQ, Atari/SA already filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. Acitvision-Blizzard avoids the bullet via WoW, COD and Diablo 3. EA has their roster update franchises, but everything else they done so far is either lukewarm or an outright flop.

The barriers of entry into the gaming market have never been lower. Most of the budget on your AAA titles are thrown on marketing and advertising, with the tiny reminder being spent on man hours on art content and licensing tools and rights.

• Deanjo

[quote<]I argue that the era of major publishers is coming to an end. They are an existential battle of relevance just like old media (RIAA/MPAA).[/quote<] "Old media" is doing quite well, the music industry and movie industry continues to grow. Their budgets are larger then ever before. Changing from physical to digital distribution doesn't change anything but increases sales to record proportions. Even with botched releases the big studios can survive and still make money on those releases. A botched smaller studio release usually spells doom for that studio.

• peartart

That “tiny remainder” is about half, in the worst cases. The need for marketing budgets doesn’t go away with digital distribution. In fact, it’s even greater, since you don’t have access to the relatively cheap marketing of a box on a shelf in a store, directly in front of an audience looking to buy a game.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]The need for marketing [s<]budgets[/s<] doesn't go away with digital distribution.[/quote<] Fixed that for you. The traditional marketing bulwarks (print, storefront, TV ads) are increasingly becoming less relevant. Guerilla marketing, word-of-mouth and social networking can (and do) accomplish much more cost effective penetration and targeting. The only time you need a multi-million dollar ad campaign to succeed is when your product is crap. Unfortunately, successfully marketing crap is truly a legitimate source of income for many publishers these days.

• HisDivineOrder

Are you trapped in the past? Indies are where it’s at nowadays. Unless you’re talking about consoles and I’d say consoles’ days are numbered.

Indie developers do fine as long as they stick with PC’s, tablets, or smartphones.

• R2P2

I wonder if the license would allow them to make an X-Wing vs Wing Commander game? Not that I expect them to actually make any space sims, but it’s still be neat.

• sonofsanta

Has there been a decent Star Wars game in the last decade anyway? I’d already grown accustomed to not getting any more good SW games, so not really any loss for me.

I think the two KOTOR games just sneak into that window, but they were EA games anyway…

• superjawes

The KoTOR games were developed by Bioware…who then were responsible for TOR. I suppose TOR would have been fine if it wasn’t an MMO, though. In my little playtime, I thought it was a great single player experience.

For other “decent” Star Wars games, the Battlefronts fit into the last decade, the LEGO games were fun (although they might not fit into this), The Force Unleashed had some good ideas, and 1313 may be dead in the water, but it was seen as a chance at reconstruction of Star Wars games.

• CampinCarl

I agree with what you said. I would like to state, though, that I feel that TOR would have been fine as an MMO. The game lacked one singular thing though: Content. It didn’t take long enough for people to get to the max level, and BioWare did not spend enough time and capital developing end-game content. This was the game’s achilles heel. Everyone got to max level and quit, because there wasn’t really anything to do. I had a hell of a lot of fun getting there, though.

• superjawes

Well…I agree, but the end-game got the shaft because they put so much work into the leveling content, which is basically throwaway in the eyes of a MMORPGamer. Bioware was/is good at making those stories, which is why the leveling content was fun…for a single player game.

But really, getting into TOR’s failings really requires getting into the failings of all games trying to dethrone WoW, and I think we have plenty of other Star Wars issues to worry about at the moment…

• Krogoth

TOR is entirely EA’s baby (trying to make their own version of WoW).

KOTOR I was developed in the pre-EA acquisition era, while KOTOR 2 was done by Obsidian.

• sonofsanta

Lego Star Wars: forgotten, duly noted.

Force Unleashed was alright – I did finish it – but the fact I forgot about it completely doesn’t bode well. The first game that leapt to mind when I tried to think of the last decent SW game I’d played was Jedi Knight :/

• superjawes

I actually only got a copy of Force Unleashed a couple weeks ago. It’s a good start in terms of Jedi gameplay, but has far too many flaws to count it as a “good” Star Wars game, IMO. “Decent” maybe, and maybe even worth polishing.

• Triple Zero

Correction. BioWare developed the first Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game but did not develop the second. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords was developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

• JustAnEngineer

Yep. Folks forget that Obsidian did the second one.

The first SW:KotOR came out in November 2003. The sequel arrived in February 2005.

• Peldor

Well, LEGO Star Wars is awesome.

• sonofsanta

This is true, I had forgotten Lego Star Wars. Perhaps because it wasn’t a LucasArts game.

• superjawes

[quote<]They can't do more damage to the franchise than Lucas did himself with the prequel trilogy.[/quote<]Someone at EA read this and thought, "Challenge accepted!"

• TaBoVilla

lol, yeah

• BIF

Well, the stories were good; it’s just the dialog and acting was bad.

Seriously, I think Jarjar was not the worst sin of episodes I, II, or III.

• Palek

One of the worst things about episode II was this clunker:

“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”

Blech.

• indeego

Willow. That started his downfall.

• Laykun

What story? The movies were just a series of meaningless events.

• indeego

And it kinda makes you sympathize with the Empire after watching episode I. Which then makes all of Luke’s whining and Anikin’s whining incredibly annoying.

• blastdoor

[quote<]They can't do more damage to the franchise than Lucas did himself with the prequel trilogy.[/quote<] Could somebody please pick that gauntlet up off the floor before EA sees it?

• tanker27

Hey wheres my by-line….I posted this yesterday in the forums. 😛

• Prion

I think your thread title summed up many people’s reactions to this quite well.

No studio will ever have the balls to make another X-Wing or TIE Fighter 🙁

• Cyco-Dude

quite a few space games have been funded via kickstarter, including chris roberts (made wing commander, privateer) project [url=http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/<]star citizen[/url<] which now sits at a cool 9.48 million dollars pledged to date. if these games get made, and are successful, you can bet ea will take notice and very well could make another wing commander or x-wing space sim.

• lilbuddhaman

“Battlefront 3” equivalent might as well be confirmed on Frostbite engine. Which will tear at a lot of people’s strings… a highend SW MP game, but you support EA… Choices Choices.

• superjawes

Kinda my thoughts exactly…I loved the Battlefront games 🙁

Although I will say that EA does have a [i<]chance[/i<] for redemption after [i<]SimCity[/i<]. I know it's unlikely, but if they learn from their mistakes, maybe they can be [s<]good[/s<] [s<]better[/s<] not completely awful.

• south side sammy

is this where we finally see hands wrap around star wars throat and we all hear the slow gurgles of death……………………..also be nice to see ea finish itself off.

• PrincipalSkinner

I was never a fan of Star Wars but I don’t like these news either. EA getting it’s paws on something people grew up with…sickening.

• DeadOfKnight

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

• RandomGamer342

Seems like i won’t be playing any star wars games in the near future with all the origin nonsense

I’ve had to reformat my computer due to origin-related bugs TWICE now. Never again.