Which game is the new champ of PC visuals?

If you’ve seen the latest round of games, you’ll know what I mean when I say that we’ve clearly entered a new era in PC visuals. The latest games use larger textures, better lighting, much more detailed geometry, and (finally!) decent anti-aliasing to make everything look better. They’re clearly a generation beyond anything we’ve seen before.

The question is: which one of them is the champ? Which game offers the best, most mind-blowing visuals of them all? Cast your vote below and let us know.

• marraco

Don’t like Crysis because of the flat looking, concrete made, vegetation.

Don’t like Tomb Raider because of the Quick Time Events Hell.

Hated infinite due to crappy game play. Wy they ruined the perfect gameplay of former bioshocks?

Didn’t played assassin 3

hated linear shooter and short game Metro because of bland gameplay.

Loved Skyrim, but came on, is old, and his graphics are far from cutting edge.

Battlefield 3. Just ok graphics.

Rage. Too buggy. Too short. Too dissapointing.

Sleeping dogs. What?

I hope I will vote for FC3, but I have it, still not installed.

• gmskking

What a worthless poll.

• Silus

Voted for Metro Last Light, but it’s close between it and Crysis 3. Metro is just better at using its great visuals to
    immerse the player in its atmosphere.

• michael_d

I voted for Metro Last Light due to light, particle effects, character and environmental detail and weather.

I think that ID Tech 5 which runs Rage is grossly underrated, some people fail to see beyond low resolution textures. I play Rage with a custom config and it looks stunning. What I find the most impressive is no matter how far you are from items you can always see how crisp and clear they are. Especially fire, smoke, sparks. Just like in Metro the lighting is gorgeous and characters are very detailed, you can even see their tatoos clearly.

I have not played Crysis 3 yet. I might buy it when it is very cheap because I have never liked any of the “Cry” games.

• travbrad

Yeah id Tech 5 is a really impressive engine IMO, it was just paired with a pretty mediocre game (Rage). It’s a shame more developers aren’t using it for their games (virtually none as far as I know, except that new Wolfenstein game)

It’s also a very scale-able engine which I would have thought is attractive for developers (casting a wide net of potential players)

• buzbal

that might be due to bethsoft/idsoft not licensing idtech 5 out to anyone else.
        only for internal (bethsoft) use.

• mark84

I voted Metro Last Light because it deserves more than the current votes suggest.

Now while you’re mostly underground in dank dark places (can still look great down there), when you do get to go up to the surface, the visuals rival Crysis 3’s best.

Just a shame you’ve a limited amount of air supply to enjoy it with, would like to look around some more out on the surface without the time constraint.

• travbrad

It’s close between Crysis 3 and BF3 for me. Crysis is probably more technically impressive, but I prefer the art style of BF3, not to mention BF3 runs much smoother. I haven’t played Metro: Last Light yet though.

It’s technically not out yet (still in Beta), but Arma 3 looks very good as well. It would probably make a great benchmark once it’s released too.

• jackie399c
    • Kaleid

Nothing mindblowing currently.

• marvelous

Crysis 3 lags hell with my overclocked 7870xt.

• jessterman21

Guess you’d better add another one.

Oh wait, better let AMD sort out their CFX issues first.

• sschaem

Time to upgrade your Pentium4 ?

• OhYeah

So you people think that Crysis 3 maxed out looks better than the original? I haven’t played Crysis 3 yet, because I found the second game such a huge disappointment and I decided to stay clear of that franchise for a while.

• Krogoth

1970s Pong.

• ronch

Doesn’t matter. Wolfenstein 3D is [u<]the[/u<] Father of 3D games.

• Bonusbartus

and it can be played “ONLINE”

• Deanjo

Without any doubt…..

Nethack.

thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com

• maroon1

I’m surprised that Assassin’s creed 3, Skyrim and Rage got higher votes than Sleeping Dogs.

As someone who owned those games, I can tell you that sleeping dogs look far better. Maybe most people here didn’t play it.

• squeeb

Never heard of it..and I consider myself quite the hardcore gamer. I’ll have to check it out..

• auxy

You must not follow gaming news much. It was pretty highly lauded. It’s from the same folks who did the True Crime games (it actually started life as a True Crime game, before Square Enix bought the canceled game from ActiBlizz), and they’ve had a few tries to get it right now.

You should pick it up if you see it for $25 or less, and you enjoy open world action games (ala Saint’s Row or Grand Theft, although without the silliness of the former or the production values of the latter.) It’s pretty fun!

• Wildchild

I agree. Skyrim and Rage didn’t impress me one bit, but Sleeping Dogs has some very impressive visuals. Especially during at night when the ground is wet.

• travbrad

I think the thing that impresses people about Skyrim is that the world is so huge. The visuals aren’t objectively as good as some of those other games but when you are exploring that giant world the graphics are pretty darn good.

There are a lot of mods and graphics tweaks that can be done to Skyrim to make it look better too (obviously not Crysis 3 level graphics though). It still amazes me that Skyrim was “only” a 5GB download considering how big the world was and how much content there was (the audio dialogue alone for example)

• LostCat

Sleeping Dogs was fantastic but it didn’t hold a candle to the amount of detail Crysis 3 was pushing.

Anyone who voted for Skyrim must not’ve played anything else, heh.

• DeadOfKnight

I still think HL2 Ep. 3 looks amazing.

EDIT: CORRECTION, Ep. 2. Uh oh…what did I just do?!

• Krogoth

A Freudian slip.

• auxy

I think this belongs in that ‘future games’ comment. (⊙ヮ⊙)

• GrimDanfango

In objective terms, the only two contenders are Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3.
    Plenty of the others have good, and even in some cases superior visual design, but in pure technical-rendering terms, none of the others come close to the Cryengine or Frostbite flagships.

People need to stop thinking Skyrim, or any Bethesda game has good graphics. No…

(…or good gameplay)

• marraco

Crysis 3 sucked as soon I discovered that instead of hiding in the bushes, the only thing I could do was walk over them as if the branch and leaves were made of concrete. Also the bushes looked made with planes even on highest graphic settings. Crisis 1 looked far better, more inmersive and realistic.

• DeadOfKnight

He didn’t ask for the most photorealistic or technically impressive game; he asked which game has the best visuals. Bioshock Infinite without a doubt.

• anotherengineer

Other

PONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• brucethemoose

Wrong, wrong and… wrong.

[url<]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRlIWJlz6-Eg[/url<] It may be pre-alpha, but star citizen is just embarassing for every game ( but Crysis 3, perhaps). No, it's not out yet... But it's coming. Once the first wave of these overfunded, PC focused kickstarter projects hits, the bar is gonna be raised... Alot.

• jihadjoe

Doesn’t count till it’s released.

• brucethemoose

(covers my ears) I can’t hear you!

How dare you try to ruin my fantasies with the truth.

• Star Brood

Path of Exile is the best looking free game I’ve played. It’s like Torchlight but with a darker design and better camera options.

• Star Brood

edit: that’s the last time I try to comment from my phone. Sorry for the double post.

• squeeb

Infinite looks absolutely incredible, even if using old engine tech. The art style and color palette…amazing.

• epoon2

far cry 3 lol

• moog

Farmville.

• Meadows

Farmville 2 actually looks pretty impressive, for a Flash game.

• albundy

trick question. not everyone has dual titans with a 4k display. And to the remaining 99% that use an older card, all those games look meh at best.

• HisDivineOrder

The most amazing thing about this list is how many of them are or have sequels that will be Gaming Evolved titles. And then how many of those are sequels to games that were formerly TWIMTBP.

AMD has done an outstanding job redirecting its money from launching new cards to making huge bulk orders for game keys and using those bundles to avoid price cuts that damage their market perception. And other than Metro Last Light (the most “budget” of all those titles) and Assassin’s Creed 3 (a game I wouldn’t have put on that list of best looking PC games), AMD’s got all the best looking titles sewn up, which is a great place to be if you’re a GPU maker.

That said, why is Rage on there? Rage looks horrendous at 2560×1600 with absolutely abhorrent textures. Does it look better at 1080p or is that a joke choice?

• auxy

Did you play RAGE? I don’t think you did.

If you did, you certainly didn’t spend any time configuring it.
      [sub<]I've heard the argument that custom settings in config file are "modding", which is stupid, as you're not adding anything to the game that isn't there; you're just configuring the game using settings offered but not exposed as convenient menu choices.[/sub<] Maybe you played it on a Radeon. Hahahaha. Hilarity! '`,、('∀`) '`,、

• HisDivineOrder

Since you responded, but didn’t answer the inherent question asked. Did you play it at 2560×1600?

• auxy

I tried to reply to this earlier and my phone crashed. ANDROID IS AWESOME!

I played through it once on a Yamakasi Catleap, is that good enough for you? The DPI isn’t really higher, so it isn’t really sharper. (*゚ー゚)ゞ

I played through it at an effective resolution of 3840×2160. (^∇^)

I played through it at 120Hz LightBoost. (⊙ヮ⊙)

I played through it on Xbox 360. ヘ(゚∀゚*)ノ

What are you trying to say? (⊙.☉)7

• swiffer

I had high hopes for Rage as well. I liked their texture streaming concept from a technical point of view. Once I played the game, however, whenever I turned my view rapidly textures would look crappy and then fade into higher resolution about half a second later. Totally ruined the experience.

And, yes. Radeon (HD 6970). It works well for 98% of the games I’m interested in, and I’m not about to spend $200-250 so I can play a $20 game.

Just as you’re stuck in IE8, I’m stuck with what I have and have to make the best of it.

• auxy

That’s due to crappy Radeon OpenGL driver, not a bug with the game itself. It’s certainly not WAI. My brother (Crossfire 6970s) complained of this too. It doesn’t do it on the last couple of Radeons I’ve messed with, even the Trinity machines.

You should give it another try.

• Arclight

GTX 560ti here, played Rage all patched up and everything about 1 year after release and i can confirm that the streaming issue is still there.

BTW has anybody heard of any good mod for Rage? Been a while since id released the mod tool.

• auxy

Well, it’s not a problem for me, and it never was. Why is it a problem for you, and not for me? I suspect one of us is lying.

It’s not a problem on the Xbox 360, so I suspect you have something wrong in your configuration, since it’s clearly not hardware.

My brother fixed the problem on his 6970s (well, I think he had to run in single-card mode, but LOL CROSSFIRE), and doesn’t have it now on his 7970s.

• Waco

It’s not a problem on the 360 because you can’t spin around fast enough to cause the problem. With a mouse it’s trivial on almost any config.

• kamikaziechameleon

Rage was a bit of a turd. Sadly after all that time in development.

• travbrad

[quote<]That said, why is Rage on there? Rage looks horrendous at 2560x1600 with absolutely abhorrent textures. Does it look better at 1080p or is that a joke choice?[/quote<] RAGE actually looked really great in most areas. Some moments in that game looked better than anything I had ever seen before in a game (all while running at a buttery smooth 60FPS). There were a few blurry textures, but I really think that issue got blown out of proportion based on my experience (I do have a Nvidia card though) It's a pretty bad game though with very generic gameplay that made me think Id hasn't paid attention to the genre for the last decade. I did play it at 1080p, and there is actually the possibility that it would look better at that resolution (as strange as that may sound). One of the main ideas behind that engine is that the game dynamically scales the graphics detail depending on how much trouble your GPU is having, and you are a lot more likely to have problems when you are rendering twice as many pixels

• cynan

In the interest of fairness, I hope everyone who has voted has either played or seen first hand (youtube or twitchtv doesn’t count).all of the games in question. I haven’t so, unfortunately, I couldn’t vote.

Mock anal-retentiveness aside, the prettiest game I’ve seen would probably have to be Tomb Raider, but then I’ve not seen Crysis 3 in person, or Bioshock Infinite, Or Metro Last Light.

• Frraksurred

Tomb Raider’s TressFX hair definitely set a new benchmark for me (when it worked), but Crysis 3 is still a better “looking” game. Metro 2033 is gorgeous as well. Looking forward to what we’ll see in the coming years as next gen consoles slacken some of the restrictions Developers have had to build within.

• phez

TressHair was terrible. Made hair look like it was made of aerogel or something.

• auxy

I don’t know if I would say “terrible”, but it certainly wasn’t very convincing, especially since Lara’s hair was supposed to be wet most of the game. It seemed like they reduced the weight of everything involved to magnify the effect, like Skyrim does with its corpses. Silly.

• USAFTW

There is a general consensus that Crysis 3 is it, and I agree, but most of the other game developers sometimes get obsessed with over-detailing and ruining the whole experience. Has anybody paid attention to FC3’s balance of artwork? You have the rocky-plain-clear ungrassy bits of some cliffs which look like they belong in 2003, and you also have the off-road hmmm… roads. The gave them mega textured super high detailed textures and then AF’ed the hell out of ’em, which to my eye is disturbing.

Crysis 3 in my own measures scores incredibly well for looking “nice and realistic” as well as cinematic. Everything in the fricking thing is visually amazing. Before that, there was Rage, but I got put off from it from it’s launch day problems and never got to finish it.

• flip-mode

The poll wakes from its slumber…

I can say for sure which game is not: Metro Last Light….

Edit: WHAT? Just checked results and MLL gets 2nd most votes? What’s wrong with people?

• auxy

You don’t think Metro looks good? I haven’t seen Last Light in person yet, but even 2033 looked as good as Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs, IMO.

“MO” may be irrelevant to most people, though, since I still think, [b<]TWO YEARS LATER[/b<], RAGE looks as good as any of these (except maybe Crysis 3.)

• flip-mode

It has it’s decent moments but overall I truly don’t think it looks good. 90% of the game takes place in tunnels with nothing but low levels of ambient light, resulting in environments that are utterly lacking in contrast and in color. The game never allows you any sense of scale or composition of scene.

Compare that with Bioshock Infinite. This game was made on an engine that seems to be years out of date (I don’t know what the engine is, but the graphical effects don’t seem cutting edge), and yet through use of color, environmental design, scale, and scene composition, the game is a work of art – at times an awe inspiring work of art.

I haven’t seen Crysis 3. I’d love to see it, but it’s too pricy at the moment and it’s also published by EA. I have a pretty big problem with EA right now that I’m going to have to get over if I’m going to try Crysis 3.

• auxy

Hm. Well, that’s (your post is) more of a judgement on the visual design of the games, rather than the technical quality of the games — which is fine! in the context of this discussion, but I guess I look at it differently, or almost in the opposite way.

I enjoy Metro’s claustrophobic monotony, and I found Bioshock Infinite’s colorful, fantastic world to be a little cheesy.

Then again, I thought the same thing about Rapture, too. (⊙﹏⊙✿) [sub<]I figured out I can get to a site with a nice repository of kaomoji from work, so I can just copy and paste them, hehehe. auxy emotes are back![/sub<]

• auxy

The poll won’t load on IE8 here, so I don’t know what’s on it.

Some good discussion in this thread; I’m not going to bother talking about the things others have mentioned, like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock (really? Bioshock? I thought that game looked balls.) I’m very pleased to see intelligent discussion of the difference between visual fidelity (technical quality) and art direction.

Instead, I want to talk about some other gorgeous games that you may have overlooked. I’m not really suggesting these games belong in the same list as Crysis 3 (I don’t think Tomb Raider is all that exceptional-looking), but they’re worthy of note if you like pretty games.[list<][*<][b<]Blacklight: Retribution[/b<] is a free-to-play online FPS that features the newest Unreal Engine 3.5 and fantastically detailed characters and weapons. Turned up all the way, it looks amazing in motion. Technically speaking, better than Crysis 2, I'd say -- although not Crysis 3 -- and the art design is a LOT more interesting than Crysis' boring pseudorealism.[/*<][*<][b<]Phantasy Star Online 2[/b<] is another free-to-play online game with amazing visuals. Naysayers may scoff at my suggestion, because of the PSVita-friendly geometry and textures, but the renderer is top-notch (the effects are stunningly gorgeous), and the art design is truly unparalleled.[/*<][*<][b<]Continent of the 9th Seal[/b<], [b<]Neverwinter Online[/b<], and [b<]The Exiled Realm of Arborea Online[/b<] (better known as TERA), are all amazing-looking free-to-play MMORPGs, each with their own unique style and look. C9 is the most technically impressive, while Neverwinter is the most stylized; TERA finds a nice middle ground and probably ends up looking the best of the three.[/*<][/list<] What, don't like my suggestions? How about this one, then?[list<][*<][b<]Warframe[/b<] -- by Digital Extremes, an unbelievably influential game developer you've never heard of. With a current-gen (meaning 'competes visually with Crysis 3') engine and fantastically weird art direction, Warframe is top-notch visually -- and it's actually pretty fun, too![/*<][/list<] I have some pictures of all of these games on [url=http://auxy.picturepush.com/<]my Picturepush[/url<], although I don't think I have any gameplay shots of Blacklight, and I only have like two pictures of C9; I'll have to take some more. You'll notice all of these games are free-to-play; honestly, I just haven't been that interested in the [i<]gameplay of the[/i<] stuff coming out of the big studios in awhile. That's just my preference, though. (^^;)

• NeelyCam

[quote<]The poll won't load on IE8 here[/quote<] ?? What's IE8?

• auxy

Internet Explorer 8. You know, the default browser of virtually every institution out there?

It’s not like I’m using it because I want to. I just don’t have any other option.

• Meadows

So you’re forcefully kept at work and never return home.

• auxy

In the duration that this post has been on TechReport so far, yes!

• ClickClick5

That is the default browser for work too.

• wiak

FYI: google chrome can be installed without any admin rights 😉
          [url<]https://www.google.com/chrome[/url<] if your boss complains, tell him he is full of security holes currently

• auxy

I have tried many different portable (meaning, self-contained) browsers, but none of them can get a connection. I don’t know what the problem is; probably something to do with proxy settings, which I’m not allowed to view. Pretty annoying! I asked them to install a different browser because I work in a browser all day, every day, and they said it’s too much of a security risk. Sigh…

• Airmantharp

Because the government (i.e. NSA) doesn’t allow the use of other browsers… oh wait. They certify Chrome and Firefox for use on classified systems.

Your IT people are idiots?

Yah. They are.

• lilbuddhaman

All the real money in hospitals is spent on patient care staff..

• roadkill1

As a Chrome user, may I ask why you “just don’t have any other option”? If you don’t want to use Chrome or Firefox with IE Tab addon, why don’t you use IE10. It’s not as good as the the other two but it beats IE8

Didnt_read_thread.jpg

I mostly post from work… no control over what browser I’m allowed to use there…

• Grigory

Welcome to the Internet.

• auxy

Another GREAT-looking free-to-play game I forgot to mention is [b<]Hawken[/b<]. I don't play it anymore; I'm not wild about the actual gameplay, but it absolutely does look fantastic, especially with PhysX enabled.

• Bensam123

Played BLR and while it looks pretty, it’s not on the level of Crysis 3. I don’t really think any of the games are. I do really like the visuals in BLR though.

I just played Warframe and it just has a lot of special effects, the textures aren’t all that great nor are the animations.

• auxy

Well that’s what I said, hehe; Crysis 2, but not Crysis 3.

Warframe’s particle effects with PhysX enabled are stupefying. I remember … Tim Sweeney, I think? Or one of those guys from Epic; ANYWAY, I remember him talking about how developers were going to abuse the heck out of the particle effects in Unreal Engine 4, and while Warframe doesn’t run on Unreal Engine (I think it’s Evolution or Excelsior Engine or something like that; it’s Digital Extremes’ in-house thing), it has the same sort of “silly particle effect abuse” going on. It DOES look fantastic, though. I found the animations to be pretty okay!

• NeelyCam

Hey; I like you – you seem smart and clever..I like that

• Bensam123

Neely, put away those fangs… This isn’t a competition…

• auxy

Huh … I thought he was hitting on me. ( ・´ω・`) Hooray for social retardation!

• LostCat

Fortunately they’ve changed the effects to be far less distracting in combat.

• Scrotos

Poll isn’t loading for me, either. Win7 x64, IE8. It’s like when the comments weren’t loading on my iPhone earlier in the week, just sits there with a “Loading poll” line.

• AmazighQ

congratulation you are full of ***

• willmore

I don’t think I could care less. Game play is vastly more important than visuals.

• Meadows

I’m surprised Rage made the list. Between low-res textures and an inanimate, fixed skybox, I had trouble finding any impressive visuals.

• auxy

Rage looks better than almost anything else out right now, IMO. Better than Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and Sleeping Dogs, for sure.

• Stonebender

No. Sure, the outdoor environments looked good, but once you went inside it fell apart. Terrible low rez textures and baked lighting.

• auxy

The textures were only bad if you let the game decide you only have 256MBytes of video RAM. If you force 8K textures it looks really nice indoors.

As far as the lighting thing, I have no idea what you mean. The lighting engine is an updated version of that used for Doom 3, which as you may or may not be aware, was one of the very first games to use entirely real-time lighting.

• Goty

[quote<]The lighting engine is an updated version of that used for Doom 3, which as you may or may not be aware, was one of the very first games to use entirely real-time lighting.[/quote<] That doesn't mean it's particularly good by [i<]today's[/i<] standards.

• auxy

No, but the point was, in that context, it wouldn’t make much sense for the lighting to be pre-baked, would it? (note: it mostly isn’t.)

• Bensam123

Lost me on this one Auxy… You have to heavily tune Rage in order to make it look remotely pretty on the desktop and even then it’s really not much better then Skyrim.

• auxy

Well you don’t have to back me up ALL the time; people already think we’re sockpuppets. x3

I think Rage looks way better than stock Skyrim. No question really; you can easily see repeated textures in a single screenshot. Skyrim with mods … well …

But then, Skyrim with mods looks better than anything else in this whole THREAD, so … yeah.

One of the things I think a lot of people are overlooking is that Rage is a year — nearly 2 — older than everything else on the list.

• Bensam123

Is sockpuppets another name for cosplay?

I don’t back you up, I simply state my opinion and/or thoughts though. If it happens to coincide with someone elses, then it does.

Skyrim has a official free highres texture pack…

Battlefield 3 was released the same month as Rage. Skyrim was released a month after both of them.

• Ashbringer

None of those games make any good use of new graphics technology, except Tomb Raider. Artistically, Dark Souls is probably the best so far. Not graphically impressive, but artistically it is.

• auxy

+1! I don’t think I would say Dark Souls is the “best so far” artistically, but it does look fantastic. It’s graphically impressive too, if you use DSfix and supersample it a bit.

• kamikaziechameleon

at 2560 x 1600 assassin’s creed has blurry textures and major draw distance issues I haven’t seen since GTA 4 was ported to the pc.

Rage looks like a turd.

I heard that bioshock infinite has great art but lack luster technology, and that appears to hold true in the gamplay trailers.

Farcry 3 looks good but has some strange quirks. I think crisis 3 is the king with BF3 being the best runner up, loosing by lack of HD textures.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Crysis 3 obviously holds the crown right now, although I feel like something much better is just around the corner.

• Grape Flavor

Once the PS4 and next Xbox are out, PC graphics are going to ramp up too. I wish PC gaming wasn’t tied to the capabilities of its console counterparts, but that’s the way it works nowadays.

• PenGun

Rage is the prettiest corridor shooter I have seen. Poor game though.

• auxy

I liked it better than a lot of games, but I do agree that the gameplay didn’t match up to the same level of quality as the visuals.

• warriorpoet

I have to say a heavily modded Skyrim is pretty tough to beat. Animations won’t be as pretty as some of the newer games, but on a purely eye-candy level there’s nothing like it.

Of course super-high-res texture packs, tweaks and ENBs take serious horsepower to run on a 1440p panel. My poor 4GHz 2500k, twin SSDs and OC’d 6970 struggle mightily with the glories of the dragon-beast, but hey, that’s the cost of cutting edges few know exist, eh? 😉

As far as vanilla games go, Tomb Raider is a very nice blend of grunt and art.

edit: I meant to say 7970, but my brain skipped a beat. Still true: ENB’d Skyrim is a monster beast.

• JdL

Where’s Battlefield 4?

• Goty

Good question. I haven’t seen it on any store shelves, either.

/sarcasm

• SoM

not there cause it’s not released

• Farting Bob

Well if we are talking about future games, Crysis 12 really blows any other game out of the water.

• SoM

but can it run on a quantum computer ?

• Grigory

No. Current quantum computers are very limited and very different from classical computers.

• moose17145

But what about future quantum computers?

• odizzido

Of all the games listed I have only played tomb raider and only because I was able to borrow it from someone. Thanks DRM, you have saved me a lot of money.

• nanoflower

It’s possible to have seen these games without actually buying them. For instance I’ve watched a bit of Tomb Raider in the various clips that TR has posted when discussing benchmarks and the new TresFX. Metro: Last Light vids have been posted on this site and others. Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 and BioShock Infinite I’ve watched on Youtube. The quality may not be the same as if I were playing it on my own computer but you can definitely tell which one has the better art direction and which one has the better graphics. Actually between the vids that have been posted on the Tech Report and what I’ve watched on Youtube I think I’ve seen enough of all these games except Assassin’s Creed to get a good feel for them.

• alwayssts

Agree with most that say it’s Tomb Raider and Crysis3.

I picked Tomb Raider, and my simplified argument for the choice (as both look pretty amazing) is this:

While Crysis looks superb and TressFX may be far from perfect, there is something to be said for interactive physics on a GPU. It’s been talked about for almost a decade…and this broke some ground on actually doing something with the abundant resource gap between consoles and PCs. In a world where other differentiating factors are soft shadows and high def ambient occlusion and GPUs are being architected at the high-end with a lop-sided amount of the compute for tasks primarily outside of gaming, I would argue this is the real step forward.

• Malphas

Asassins Creed 3 and Sleeping Dogs? Lulwut?

• csroc

I haven’t played AC3 but no kidding on Sleeping Dogs… that game looks average at best. Kinda reminded me of Saints Row the Third.

• Bensam123

Pretty sure this is a competition between Crysis 3 having the prettiest graphics and Bioshock Infinite having the best art direction. Crysis 3 is going to win by a long shot because people like shinnies though and I’d agree in terms of raw technical marvel.

• bittermann

I think your mistaking the Crytek engines with the Unreal engines as far as the shiny goes…all that glistening crap.

• Bensam123

Anything that’s graphically intense is shiny in my book as it’s a word to describe things with bling, not just things that are ‘shiny’.

• jdaven

This survey is biased by the Internet meme:

“Can it play Crysis?”

• Meadows

Have you *seen* Crysis 3?

• nanoflower

LOL. Isn’t Crysis 3 supposed to be much more optimized than the original Crysis? As I recall Crysis put the best computers of the day to the test. I don’t think that’s true with Crysis 3 even though it’s got greatly enhanced graphics.

• Meadows

No, it’s not “supposed to be”. Crysis 3 is graphically the most stressful title out right now, and easily looks better than the original Crysis.

• NeelyCam

Well, that’s because NVidia invented Titan.

• Damage

Not everyone has access to all of these games, and perhaps I’ve missed some other new games, but here’s my take:

The real contest is between Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Assassin’s Creed 3, BioShock Infinite and probably Metro: Last Light. The others are a generation back.

You might not think Infinite belongs in that group since it’s UE3-based and runs really fast on most cards, but its art direction elevates it. Also, it has the texture size and geometric complexity to hang with the rest of the the list.

I expect to hear from fans of older games, including the Witcher 2 people. Lots of older games look nice, but you need to spend some time with Crysis 3 or Tomb Raider and really look at the environment and models before complaining about your game not being on the list. Do it on a nice PC with a big, high-res display. It’ll change your view, if you let it.

• superjawes

Your point about Infinite really combines two criteria that I separate. When I think “king of visuals,” I think about the raw quality (photorealism) and attention to detail. These are the things that stress GPUs and show off the capabilities of a chip or engine.

On the other hand, you have aestetic arguments. You say BioShock Infinite. I say Borderlands. Neither of these games beat Crysis 3 or Tomb Raider on the details, but the art direction (as you mentioned) is definitely to be admired. For the most part, this is a more subjective analysis of what art style you enjoy.

I do think it would be interesting to pit games using the same engines against each other, though. There is definitely something to be admired when a developer can amaze with limited horsepower.

• Damage

I think the two things, art direction and technical mastery, go together intrinsically. One enables the other; you don’t take advantage of technical mastery without great art.

You can have one without the other, of course. Trine 2 looks amazing but isn’t the most advanced engine. Just Cause 2 had all the latest shader effects and still looked cheesy and weirdly incomplete.

But the best art enabled by the best engines tends to define each new generation of game visuals.

• superjawes

I don’t disagree…and maybe I would revise my earlier post. I mainly just think there are (at least) two goals that define “greatness” in visuals:

-Photorealism
          -Art

Even if you have two games with the same level of technical finess, they might be going in different directions. In that case, which takes the cake? The game that focused on delivering a realistic environment, or the one that brought imaginative monsters to life?

I don’t think there’s a right and wrong answer to this. I just would judge games separately and for different reasons. If I had to choose which was the “best,” I would always qualify my choice with some extra criteria, that’s all 🙂

• phez

Tomb Raider isn’t even this discussion.

• Meadows

BioShock Infinite? Seriously? Have you *seen* the baskets of oranges in that game? It’s made up of 7 or so polygons and a flat orange texture, they didn’t even bother to add parallax mapping. Best of all? Things like that aren’t just thrown in far, unseen corners; [i<]they're in the player's plain view[/i<] as the game goes on. (One of those baskets in question is seen just 10 seconds after the player picks up the Shield vigor from Rosalind.) The game is as artistic as anything I've seen, surely, but technologically it's overoptimised and thus full of ugly little things that distract the player.

• Goty

I have yet to play FC3, but if Blood Dragon is anything to go off, it’s a nice (but not great) looking game.

That being said, Crysis 3 takes the cake. There are some pretty awful foliage models that really distract from the overall quality, but otherwise the visuals are spectacular. (Even better, I can run with all the IQ settings just one step below the maximum on my 5870!)