NZXT adds $70 ‘sound-crushing’ case, sub-$100 modular PSUs

NZXT has some fresh goodies on display at Computex this week. Among them is the H230, a mid-tower enclosure that, in NZXT’s words, "brings similar sound crushing abilities as its predecessors into a smaller, more accessible package for all."

I’m not sure how one goes about crushing sound, exactly, but at least the H230 looks pretty cool.

And it’s indeed accessible, at only $69.99—but NZXT hasn’t skimped on features. The H230 has tool-free 5.25" bays, a removable hard-drive cage, USB 3.0 connectivity, and room for four 120-mm fans (though only one, a rear exhaust, is included). Users can cram in up to six 3.5" hard drives or 2.5" SSDs, and there are three 5.25" bays for… well, whatever people stick in those now that optical storage is obsolete.

Oh, and the case has an upside-down layout with cable-routing holes in the motherboard tray. NZXT says there’s 0.55" of clearance behind the mobo tray for cable management.

Also among NZXT’s Computex introductions: the Hale 82 V2 550W and Hale 82 V2 700W, a pair of fully modular power supplies priced at a respective $79.99 and $99.99. As NZXT points out, fully modular cabling is usually a staple of high-end (and high-priced) PSUs. The firm is hoping to change that with these two units.

In addition to their modular-ness (which even includes the 24-pin ATX power thingamajig), both members of the Hale 82 V2 series feature a single 12V rail, a 135-mm cooling fan, support for SLI and CrossFire multi-GPU setups, and a three-year warranty. NZXT also touts 80 Plus Bronze certification, which means efficiency should be as high as 85%.

• davidbowser

I have an NZXT H2 case for my “quiet pc”. I run it with a Seasonic fanless PSU, a big honking fanless CPU heatsink on an i5-3450S, and a fanless AMD 7750. Since the H2 has 3 damn-near-silent case fans, I have not run into any heat issues.

I have to say that it is more quiet than any other case (non-Mac) I have. My Shuttle boxes (AMD and Intel driven) that I use as Windows Media PCs are louder simply because of the tiny PSU fans.

• LauraLasher43
    • RdVi

Upside-down layout? I’m not seeing it?

Not really a fan of this case, I was hoping for a mATX version of the H630 with similar styling… this is just too cheap looking and has a very standard layout (bulky 3.5″ drive bays, 3 x 5.25″ bays). I’d pay twice this amount for a solid, quality built mATX case with an effective, innovative internal layout with plenty of cooling/radiator options without having exposed vents all over it.

• just brew it!

PSU at the bottom. If you don’t think that’s upside-down you haven’t been around very long. 😉

• RdVi

Makes sense, I was thinking motherboard orientation. My first PC had a PSU on the side (desktop AT), so yeah, I’ve been around long enough ;P

• just brew it!

The *truly* upside-down layout was BTX. We still have a couple of those at work. Really annoying since the cases are completely useless once the original system dies or becomes obsolete, so the only option is to scrap it.

• DPete27

These days, “upside down” means something similar to a Silverston Tremjin TJ08-E where the mobo is upside down and on the opposite side of the case to me. This NZXT H230 is a “bottom mounted PSU” case…nothing more.

• brute

sound crushing? .55″ space for running wires?

this WHITE case needs to check its privilege

• BIF

What does that mean, “check its privilege”? Are you making up grammar as you go along? 😉

By the way, the downthumb isn’t mine. I still have mine in my back pocket…

• nico1982

For an instant I was like ‘WTF is this thing?’ because I did not notice that the black detail on the front was just, well, a detail and not representative of the width of the case :/

• egon

“Crush” is suggestive of a sort of ruthless, authoritarian hostility toward noise. In this case, you might say the sound is crushed under the boot of NZXT’s iron-fisted silentism.

Such fanatical ideologues do exist – you can meet some of us at silentpcreview.com 😉

• just brew it!

Nice looking case. My current work system is built in an NZXT mid-tower case (one of their cheaper ones). They seem to be good bang for your case buck.

Modular 24-pin always makes me laugh. Why would you not use that?

Still, so many “modular” PSUs don’t make the aux 4/8-pin connector modular – and more often than not include both – that you still have empty cables flopping about. Nice to see someone take it seriously and bring the prices down.

the case and a 550W PSU together would be neat. The modular cables appear mostly to be thin and wide, rather than round, and that should make them easier to route with just a half inch behind the mobo tray.

• ludi

Neater, cleaner PR photos.

Although it does give you the option to remove the PSU for cleaning without having to disconnect anything from the motherboard.

• demani

Plus maybe the potential for longer cables to use in odd layouts, rather than getting an extension? Just a thought.

• Ryhadar

Being able to remove the 24-pin ATX cable has actually served me more than once with cleaning up cables in a cramped case.

• DPete27

Wouldn’t sound “crushing” be noisy?

• indeego

Words have multiple meanings. In this case, Crush means to overwhelm/subdue.

• GrimDanfango

DPete27’s lighthearted joke was crushed beneath the weight of indeego’s humourless explanation.

…maybe 🙂

• BIF

Uh, wait a minute; I laughed at both!

They’re going to crush sound while they crush some Nat Lites with their bros, bro.