Microsoft cuts Surface Pro to $799 until August 29

If you’ve kept up with the news lately, you’ll know that sales of Microsoft’s Surface tablets haven’t been stellar. In fact, Microsoft has lost more than it’s earned from the tablets so far.

It’s not for lack of trying, though.

In its latest attempt to spur sales, Microsoft has kicked off a promotion that shaves $100 off the price of its Surface Pro tablet. The promotion brings the 64GB Surface Pro to just $799 and the 128GB variant to $899, and it’s set to continue until August 29—or as long as supplies last.

$799 is still quite steep for a tablet, of course. But then again, the Surface Pro is more of a tablet-ified ultrabook than an Android slate or an iPad. It’s got a Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 1080p display, a 1080p screen resolution, and the full-fledged version of Windows 8 Pro. Throw in the $130 Type Cover, and you’ve got something very close to a convertible ultrabook.

Microsoft’s closest competitor for Apple and Android tablets is the Surface RT, whose price was slashed to $349 three weeks ago, seemingly for good. The Surface RT launched at $499 last year, but it met with limited success. Last month, Microsoft wrote off $900 million due to "inventory adjustments" for the device.

• Diplomacy42

if they ever want to revisit the $400 price tag, i’m sure that they will move pleanty. not like that is any kind of lost opportunity to them.

• Spec4

How many tablets have upgradeable memory?

And at that point, I buy it, assuming they throw in the type cover. I mean, it’s a nice 1080p touchscreen ultrabook.

• sschaem

Toshiba sell some nifty Tegra4 / Wacom based tablets, with 2560×1600 16:10 10.1″ display
    for much less.

If Toshiba make money selling them for close to $500… makes you wonder.

• Voldenuit

The touch cover has very little (if any) tactile feedback, but the type cover keys have travel (albeit limited). Neither one is great to type on due to the limited travel and the small form factor, but the type cover at least is definitely not “zero-give”.

• tbone8ty

The surface RT didn’t sell though

• ssidbroadcast

In my opinion, that’s the worst thing about it. Keys with zero-give? It’s like typing on a piece of corrugated cardboard. It feels wrong.

• tootercomputer

Too little, too late . . . too bad.

• Sahrin

I’d think it’s the build quality.

• PixelArmy

No one actually said either was better than the other. It was more like food for thought… But it somehow wounded your Apple pride…

• link626

“while supplies last”

Oh they’ll last alright, for a long long time. Just sell it at cost and be done with it.

There’s no shame in killing off a product after its first generation

• Meadows

What? The cat?

• DarkMikaru

I guess I had just been reading up on the news for the RT, I saw these @ Tiger Direct for 899 and was shocked! I had no idea that were literally double the cost of the RT. No wonder these failed. Love the specs, hate the price & Windows 8. 🙁

• destroy.all.monsters

I’m too lazy to do the research but I’m reasonably certain they’re a franchise or franchise hybrid. I do know they went on an expansion boom for awhile. Edited to add: yeah it’s a franchise deal.

Not familiar with Perkins I’m afraid. Mostly I go to local joints for breakfast but IHOP’s prices, hours and quality at price point are solid. Good service considering the area too.

• Airmantharp

Have that- I want something I can strap to a tripod, and the digitizer looks quite nice, especially at 1080p.

• MadManOriginal

Apple = bettar.

CASE CLOSED, THX DETECTIVE JDAVEN!

• Voldenuit

Surface ‘LT’ with Kabini $399 and Surface Pro w Haswell $899. Keyboard dock included, expandable w low voltage and low profile SO-DIMM slot (1 SO-DIMM soldered on). Both versions come with Windows 8.1 and a StartMenuBallot giving the user the option to choose between Start Page, ClassicShell and StartisBack on first bootup.

• MadManOriginal

“If it had {insert XYZ here} and cost a lot less would it sell more?”

Do you really need to ask?

• tbone8ty

if it had an amd kabini chip in it and it was $499 do you think they would sell alot more?

• Bensam123

Something weird must’ve went on with the chain because we had one open up over here then a year later they closed and a new breakfast restraunt moved in, then a year later it turned back into a IHOP. Still have yet to go there. I usually visit Perkins.

• Voldenuit

If you’re planning on heavy Lightroom or Photoshop Elements, I’d highly recommend a computer with more than 4 GB of RAM; if it has to be a laptop, I’d look for something than can accomodate a terabyte HDD and a mSATA SSD.

That pretty much leaves out Surface Pro in its current incarnation.

• jdaven

So then I can say that the 16 GB iPad Wifi is a better buy than the 16GB Samsung Galaxy 10.1 w/ 3G + Wifi because its $30 less.

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2NT0V48728[/url<]

• Thresher

Still gotta buy the damn keyboard. If anything sets it apart from the competition, it’s the keyboard.

• Airmantharp

Yup, no way. A future version, maybe, but not the current one with the external memory.

• DragonDaddyBear

I don’t think that would fit in the TDP required for the Surface.

• Airmantharp

I’m actually (slightly) interested in this, as a Lightroom and Photoshop Elements user; if I could dock a Surface Pro to a tripod, all the better- I’d use it as an external Live View and software interface over USB, with the ability to undock it and switch to WiFi.

Actually, I think I’ve convinced myself to get a current-gen Surface Pro or next-gen, whenever I’m ready to buy. Probably next gen, as I’d want stuff like 802.11ac, more RAM (screw you MS), and more and faster storage space along with better battery life.

• MadManOriginal

Yo dawg, we heard you like 1080p…

• MadManOriginal

I don’t think Microsoft has promoted this part of the hardware well enough, but at the same time it’s not something that lots of people need or want in a touchscreen device even if it can provide benefits to everyone, not just artists.

• MadManOriginal

Reported to YGS.

• MFergus

This is gotta be trolling. Insisting he said “128 gb ipad” when he didn’t and saying he was very very specific when all he said was “high end ipad.” How is that specific?

• ssidbroadcast

When it comes to the measures they could take to get people to adopt these devices, they’ve only scratched the Surface.

• d0g_p00p

I can’t wait to not buy this.

• Airmantharp

That’s what got me. RAM is cheap.

• PixelArmy

He said “the high-end” not “the 128 GB” iPad. His reply was time-stamped 55 mins before your post, so it wasn’t a ninja edit, unless it took you that long to put together that post.

Most people would consider the high end iPad to be the one with the most connectivity and with the most storage capacity. That model does in fact have a $929 price tag.

• destroy.all.monsters

I heart my local IHOP. Been to many IHOPs and they’re not all as good – but this one nails the pancakes.

I still miss the boysenberry syrup though. Fricken crime against humanity not to be able to use the boysenberry syrup with the blueberry pancakes.

• Bensam123

It’s another name for a pancake. IHOP?

• Meadows

A sheet of cardboard doesn’t latch on.

• danny e.

In related news, the liberals have promised to cut spending by 1,000 Million dollars. That’s A frikken whole billion!

This will bring the total budget down from ~ 3,777 Billion to ~3,776 Billion.
    Meaning the deficit will drop from ~ 972 Billion to ~ 971 Billion.
    Good job, guys! If you cut that much every year, in 971 more years we could have a balance budget!

• jdaven

I guess my half-awake email wasn’t explicit enough. YOUR POST WAS WRONG.

The 128 GB iPad is $799 not $929. This is the high-end version. The option to add the 3G modem to the high end costs $929.

In your post you said that the Surface Pro 128GB is $30 less than the 128 GB iPad. You were very, very specific in your post. This is not correct. The 128 GB iPad is $100 less than the price drop on the 128 GB Surface Pro. This is very very very easy to verify.

You might have meant to type some general both are expensive mumbo jumbo. But you didn’t.

• Game_boy

Cats have an instinct to back up when something’s on their head. Even just putting a sheet of cardboard on them causes that.

• Deanjo

Boxing Day sale….. $499

• slowriot

I’m sure there are quite a few places that sell pancakes near you. So go have some!

• LukeCWM

Where does one even buy a hot cake? They sound tasty. If they were being sold within a mile of me, I’d get one right now!

• Meadows

It appears Microsoft have acquired trouble they can’t backpedal from.

[url<]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7706939904/h2069F08E/[/url<]

• Voldenuit

4GB of non-upgradeable RAM is a deal-killer.

• dpaus

[quote<]Microsoft cuts Surface Pro to $799[/quote<] ...aaaand there was nobody in any of the Microsoft stores to notice... <crickets>

• slaimus

After August 29… it will be $699

• chuckula

Last time I checked (today) you were wrong: [url<]http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad[/url<] Apple's website pretty clearly shows that the highest-end iPad is going for $930. But there are lower-end iPads you say? Well of course there are, just like there is a lower-end Surface. I was just (correctly) pointing out that Surface is by no means overpriced compared to what Apple sells. I'm also not saying that I expect Surface to be a huge success for other reasons, merely that it has interesting hardware at price point that is by no means out of line with other competing products.

• HisDivineOrder

For someone buying the high end iPad, I guess.

• kamikaziechameleon

Haswell, plus better lap functionality. Bam I’m game.

• kamikaziechameleon

The overall device quality is reflected in the price. If it worked better on your lap I’d grab it.

• jdaven

Last time I checked the 128 GB iPad was $799 which is $100 less than the 128 GB Surface price drop. Please check my math. 🙂 So no, you are not correct unless the $899 Surface Pro 128 GB includes a cellular modem but I don’t think it does.

• StainlessSteelMan

The quality of the device is excellent. However, IMO this is nothing but a laptop replacement, and to this end, it is a bit too pricey. It is a lot better than a simple tablet in many ways, especially with the keyboard attached, but it is too expensive to be competing against iPad and especially Android tablets.
    Again, I know it does much more than a simple iOS or Android device, but I believe that this was the whole point of creating that simple touch interface dubbed Metro (at first), so they could be an interesting player in the tablet world. Not at this price.
    I believe there are still some netbooks available in the store, around $250-$300. How is the Surface so different from a netbook, from a user point of view; I mean, what are they expecting me to do on that device anyway?
    It seems to me that right now the Surface is basically an overpriced small laptop with touch capabilities, not a tablet.
    Can they produce something around this price, using Atom not i5 this time to drive the price down?

• jdaven

“Throw in the $130 Type Cover, and you’ve got something very close to a convertible ultrabook.”

Or just buy a regular ultrabook for another $200 less.

• vargis14

Wow that wacom dtu-1031 is crazy expensive for a USB device.

• vargis14

If it comes with the Iris 5200 graphics the new one will be desirable.

• tanker27

Yeah they sold like hotcakes. The first day was insane, like a three hour wait. I waited until Thursday to go pick up my 2, walked in and then out. But they had more than enough to sell more. Even at 400 bucks if they sold more than one of each they still would have made something. Now there’s no guarantee to sell any.

• chuckula

So basically the 128 GB model Surface Pro is now $30 less than the high-end iPad in price… I can see that being a pretty good deal.

• PixelArmy

I imagine even Surface RT sold like crazy at TechEd prices…

(64GB w/ cover @ $100 for those not paying attention)

• ronch

So the 64GB is now down to $800 from $900?

What. A. Steal.

• PixelArmy

IMO, the Surface Pro price was/is high but fair. But I want a deal not just a fair price! Throw in the freakin’ keyboard! Given Haswell convertibles should be rolling out, this still needs to go lower. (This should have been the intro price).

• DPete27

Nice to see they’re taking full advantage of that screen.

• Bensam123

While supplies last indeed… I imagine these things selling like hotcakes I tell you! Hot cakes!

Which basically means “yeah I’d sell it on ebay”. lol

A 1080p display AND a 1080p screen resolution? Well sign me up!

• dragontamer5788

Yup yup, that Active Digitizer adds a hell of a lot of value to the device. I wonder how Microsoft is able to sell it so cheaply, considering how much pen digitizers + screens cost.

Even at $999, I think the Surface is at a good price. But the market seems to think otherwise…

• ibnarabi

Yep, version 2.0 with 8.1 may be a buy…

• thecoldanddarkone

400 dollars, so they were loosing money on them without a doubt.

• R2P2

Probably clearing out stock before they release Haswell models. The battery life improvements could make it a lot more appealing.

• smilingcrow

“at TechEd prices.”

How much were they?

• chuckula

Interesting thing about the Surface Pro: High quality digitizer + pen from Wacom in this thing almost makes the purchase a good deal all by itself at these prices.
    For example: [url<]http://www.wacom.com/business-and-education/products/pen-displays/stus/dtu-1031[/url<] That link leads to a 10" digitizer + display that doesn't include a CPU/SSD/RAM/Wifi/etc. that you get with the tablet.... and it's only $50 less than the base-model of the Surface. Wacom's digitizers with LCD displays go up there too. I'm not about to run out and buy a Surface Pro, but for certain niches it actually has some very nice hardware that you can't get with an iPad... Oh, and the Surface Pros can run Linux too.

• tanker27

Like I said before, When they sold one of each to attendees of TechEd they should have let us buy more. I had no less than 10 coworkers willing to buy at TechEd prices.

Share this post with your friends!