TR BBQ X sets records for attendance, epic uses of fire

We had an excellent turnout for the tenth annual TR BBQ on Saturday. I believe the official tally was 60 people attending, with lots of new faces in the crowd this time around. The group picture this year is almost too wide:

There’s a larger version in the gallery below, for those who’d like to see Forge giving me bunny ears. Thanks for that, buddy. Let’s talk soon about the lifetime ban I have in store for you.

As usual, the BBQ was an amazing opportunity to get to know a fantastic group of people. After an experience like this one, my first reaction is simply to say thanks to everyone who helped make it happen: to DrFish and his family for hosting the event and going above and beyond the call in so many ways, to zgirl for again proving that good BBQ can happen north of the epicenter here in Kansas City, to Shoes for really raising his game for the fireworks display, to Dposcorp for taking many of the pictures and videos you see here, to the new faces for making the effort to try something unknown, to the wives and girlfriends who put up with our constant tech talk, to the good people who helped with clean-up the following day, and to the other folks I’ve inevitably missed.

Oh, and thanks to Intel, AMD, Gigabyte, and Kingston for providing prizes to give out.

The day was packed, and there’s almost too much to cover, but I’ll try to provide some highlights. Here’s a look at our prize table, before everybody descended upon it and picked it clean.

Yes, that’s a Gigabyte Z87X-OC motherboard. There’s a little, black box sitting in front of it holding a Core i7-4770K, and the two were part of the same prize package. We also had couple of Gigabyte mobo-and-AMD-A8-6600K-APU pairings to give out, along with two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSDs and two Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 memory kits. Oh, and one more A8-6600K by itself.

The lower shelves and the platforms to the sides hold a selection of shirts and older video cards from Damage Labs. I believe almost everybody got to choose a hardware prize and a shirt, although our shirt selection was pretty depleted by the end. We’ll have to bring more next year.

The exclusive new "gerbil army" shirts went quickly. You should be seeing more of the secretive gerbil army before too long, although I doubt we’ll ever print that exact same design again.

The first three prizes were given to the winners of the baggo/cornhole tournament. In honor of the events of the past year, Dposcorp awesomely decided to record high-speed video of the baggo action. Hit "play" above to go inside the second with our favorite yard game.

After slow-cooking the ribs for all of us, zgirl proceeded to take first place in the baggo tournament, crushing me 24-1 in a stunning and comprehensive second-round non-upset. In a true upset, she then proceeded to choose an SSD upgrade over the 4770K/Z87X-OC combo as her prize. I think that choice was driven by a combination of graciousness, already having a nice CPU and mobo, and somehow not yet having an SSD. I can respect the decision. So did our second-place winner, who rushed urgently to grab the 4770K and Z87 as soon as his turn came to pick.

DrFish had some sweet medals prepared for the baggo winners. Here’s the back of the first-place hardware:

Later in the afternoon, Ned produced his potato cannon and began launching russets into the lake. That thing really gets some distance. You can’t track the spud from the barrel; it’s moving too fast. You just have to look for the splash when it hits.

I think it’s safe to say this is the year we got serious about the fireworks display. Shoes reviewed the options on YouTube before buying them, and he chose very well. I’m slightly hard of hearing now, but happier. Yes, that is a laptop firework on the left there. Here’s a closer look:

This "laptop" spouted flames from its "keyboard" in multiple spots before launching an impressive pyrotechnic array from the top of the "display." The jokes about Prescott TDPs and battery failures were thick in the air while this puppy did its thing.

Of course, DrFish lit the beach-side bonfire with the flamethrower as always. Takes about 60 seconds to go from nothing to roaring campfire, and the spectacle never ceases to impress.

The bonfire was especially well attended this year. More folks stuck around for it, which worked out well. DrFish’s nifty battery-powered arrays of LED lights proved that modern technology can even improve the primal experience of cooking meat over fire. Then again, the clear night and nearly full moon didn’t hurt, either.

Thanks again to all involved. I know lots of you will have more stories, pictures, and videos to share in the TR BBQ X forum thread. The BBQ has become one of the true highlights of my year, and in true techie fashion, the latest incarnation was once again the best one yet.

• trinibwoy

Nice pic. Could do with a bit more … ummmm … diversity though 😉

• eitje

Too far down in the comments for anyone to actually read, but I think that fire-starting is Xylker.

• drfish

That is correct.

• Krogoth

Xylker is a Pyro?

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I[/url<]

• Xylker

Totally.

My HS yearbook is filled with references to “not blowing things up…” These days I’d probably be in jail before 10th grade even began.

• TEAMSWITCHER

I really wanted to be there, but I had to drop my daughter off at BAMA (Roll Tide) for her very first year of college. I live in Zeeland MI, and it would have been a very, very short drive for me. Maybe next year.

• Captain Ned

How’s Tuscaloosa?

• TEAMSWITCHER

It rained the day we moved her in. I love the campus, with stone columns on every building and crepe myrtle planted almost everywhere. And I think they have something of a football program. Had great food at DePalma’s Italian Restaurant and Dreamland Bar-B-Que. Funniest part was the salty snack aisle at the Super Target, with very few bags of chips left. It was hilarious.

• Aranarth

I just want to thank StarFalcon for buying all my old computer crap including the 486’s, 16bit soundblaster, 8 bit (adlib clone) sound card, isa ethernet card…

I feel bad for Collin having no idea what “Adlib” was… 😀
    He got me back by holding on to the Radeon 6950, well there is always next year, maybe Damage will have a 7850 or 7870 on the rack….

• just brew it!

He took my pair of K6-2 chips as well. He must be planning to eventually open a museum of PC tech through the years!

• Aranarth

He got my K6-2 and matching mainboard of mine as well.

Maybe he is an evil genius and is really working on a home built supercomputer to take over the world? 😀

• DeadOfKnight

Where’s Jordan, Geoff, and Cyril?

• Captain Ned

Good thing the light conditions don’t show me giving the Trained Assistant, a/k/a Jr. Damage, the bunny ears as well.

I’d post the Trained Assistant picture but that appears to have circled the drain about when the ja.zz posting software hit the skids.

• ClickClick5

The prized Kingston 1866 RAM will end up going into my brother’s new system here next month.

I had a blast everyone, thanks for letting me show up unwillingly late.

• Bensam123

Looked like tons of fun once again, I will eventually make it over there… mark my words. Not even you meddling kids can stop me.

• Krogoth

LOL…I’m impressed!

• drfish

OMG, OMG, OMG… 😀

• ssidbroadcast

Mark your calendars!

• 5150

There’s no excuse for this not to be the highest ranked comment ever.

• Black Applesauce

I like to picture Krogoth as this guy who is super popular on the internet and hes big in all these other forums and whenever he remembers to come to this website he says one thing and everyone freaks out. I have to admit I almost choked on my food when I saw this ;D

• dashbarron

Apparently, Forge has been accepting PayPal transfers to torment him for years.

• internetsandman

What’s happening with the Vancouver meetup you guys mentioned a few weeks ago?

• Dissonance

It’s coming in the next few weeks, and we’ll give folks plenty of notice. My editorial schedule just got heavier, so I’m trying to decide on the best time to set something up. Stay tuned.

• Flying Fox

Why not just set up a thread in the forums for us to hash out some details? Border crossing is one issue worth discussing if we are to do swapping of gears.

• SternHammer

So many fatties lol

• lilbuddhaman

Also Dork alert, Code Red.

• Bensam123

Welcome to geek central. Perhaps you should’ve stuck with ‘do any of these guys lift?!?!’.

• Captain Ned

I wouldn’t want to challenge Dposcorp and BerserkBen.

• Bensam123

Shhh… logic doesn’t come into play here. If someone actually does lift his mind will explode.

• Krogoth

Do you even compute?

• SternHammer

Yes I don’t

• ClickClick5

Mwuhaha! I arrived after this was taken. Witness protection for the win!

• Srsly_Bro

Fatties and 1 girl. That’s all I ever see! Has this world ended without my knowing?

-1 because I believe in you!

• Dposcorp

Those of you who want to play in the TR BBQ FF league….post here and PM CaptainNed or Frobozz before it fills up………its one of the few times during the year I can talk smack to Damage, the mods and admins……………although they usually can’t hear that well down there at the bottom of the league 😉

• Captain Ned

PM FroBozz_Inc, not me, as he’s the league commish. I can’t do anything there as far as adding teams.

• FroBozz_Inc

11 teams already, let’s not get too crazy. Forum thread created for the BBQ league.
      I could make a BBQ League II if there’s a lot of interest.

• Duck

More of Ivan and Ze Goggles!

• Captain Ned

Doggles.

[url<]http://www.doggles.com/[/url<]

• Star Brood

Krogoth not being impressed is something everyone should be reminded of whenever they are awarded a medal. Good taste.

• dashbarron

Thanks 😀

Fun times, glad I came. I feel almost a little guilty I didn’t say anything to Scott about the bunny ears….

• anotherengineer

Should put that group photo in a dictionary under ‘geek’ 😉

Glad it was a good turn out, I was busy digging a trench from my house to the garage and put in some conduit. Now I can feed some RG6 coax and Cat6 out there so I can have a geek garage 😉

• just brew it!

So what’s the correct term for a gathering of geeks anyway? Is it a herd, a flock, or something else? I guess “flock of geeks” works for me, though perhaps given that our host is drfish it should be a “school of geeks”! 😉

• eitje

I vote for: a mixture of geeks.

• just brew it!

Would that mixture be an alloy, solution, suspension, or colloid?

• Captain Ned

Well, since we were clearly capable of Brownian Motion I’d vote colloid.

• khands

A murder of geeks

• Khali

Geek Gaggle!!!

According to Wikipedia…

[quote<]A gaggle is a term of venery for a flock of geese that is not in flight; in flight, the group can be called a skein. In terms of geese, a gaggle is equal to at least five geese. In terms of salt, a gaggle is equal to eight fifty pound bags of salt. Usually one layer on a skid. In military slang, a gaggle is an unorganized group doing nothing. In aviation, it is a large, loosely organized tactical formation of aircraft.[/quote<]

• Duck

A herd of geeks makes it sound like they are all morbidly obese.

A gathering of geeks could be called a clan of geeks.

• ermo

Obviously, it’s a Nerd Herd.

• zgirl

Actually I was considering deferring any prize, but considering I often am not allowed into the tournament(something about being obnoxiously good) and the fact that I really did need an SSD for the system I already had and quite happy with. The SSD just made sense. Plus there were two, so I knew someone else would get one.

Besides I will either make it a vote as to if I should be allow to compete or possible just an every other year thing. That way I can have fun now and again. On other years the field will not be so distraught that I am in it. 😀

Besides I would run out of room to put those first place medals. 😉

• FroBozz_Inc

What? Me distraught? pffft. Not a chance 😉 LOL

• zgirl

lol I watch the live stream portion of our match. I think I laughed harder being able to see everything you were doing. I only caught so much of it when we were actually playing.

It was not just you. I think that whole side of the bracket made some comment about me being in it. I know I heard “It does not matter! Look who is there!” more than once.

This being said after someone pointed out a favorable match to start with. 😀

• jss21382

I personally just look at it as rib payment.

• Bensam123

What? 24-1? Sounds like the person that practices beer pong competitively.

• Captain Ned

There was one match called at 5-3 by mutual agreement due to ineptitude and frustration after an extended period. Zgirl’s 24-1 on Damage at least took far less time than the epic futility match between Damage & JBI last year.

• Bensam123

lol, you sure they weren’t intentional misses merely meant to lul their opponent into a false sense of security and flaunt their skills after a epic comeback? I suppose that doesn’t work if both people are doing it though.

• Captain Ned

No, it was true ineptitude (first-timers both) combined with a growing sense of apathy.

• zgirl

Actually no one scored more than 6 points against me IIRC. It is just the fact the game comes naturally to me and I have been playing it since I was little. If you watch the video of Frobozz playing against me you’ll get an idea how frustrating it is. Honestly in years past they have banned me from competing, only being allowed to play the tournament winner. Think of it as me being the final boss.

• Srsly_Bro

I just read ” Actually no one scored”.

What kind of lame party is that?

• Price0331

I remember a while back you guys had t-shirts available for sale, but sadly that website is all messed up. Any plans to reintroduce some TR merchandise? Or is there already a channel I’m not aware of?

• Damage

We don’t sell shirts right now. Sorry, but it’s a lot of effort for not much $$ in return for us. We may try again at some point, though.

• Star Brood

There’s lots of web sites that sell custom made decals on their shirts, but I’m not sure of if you guys are going to trip about copyrights if someone were to make one based off the TechReport.

• Scrotos

We sell t-shirts pretty much at cost for any fans who want them:

[url<]http://www.cafepress.com/rq3[/url<] It ain't a money maker but someone else handles the merchandise and fans get gear if they really want it.

• Forge

If you’d ever like to change that, my wife is craft-oriented, not currently employed, and far, far better about shipping things reliably than I am. Just offering.

• Dposcorp

I get multiple mentions in the post, and every time my user name is spelled wrong.

Neither Dsposcorp nor Dposcorp is impressed with that. 🙂

P.S. I wish I took some hi speed footage of the potato gun.

• Damage

Wow, do not know how I committed the same typo twice. At least it was consistent.

• drfish

I just have one question… Is Krogoth impressed?

Thanks again to everyone, don’t forget to nominate a Wasson Cup worthy moment in the thread!

• Forge

He says he is! I didn’t even have to coerce him!

A fantastic time, fish! Again, kudos and applause!

• ronch

I like the tie-dye shirt Capt. Ned is wearing. Really nice!

Edit – fixed misspelling

• Captain Ned

[url<]http://www.sunshinedaydream.biz/Tie-Dye-Polo-Golf-Shirt.html[/url<] It used to be [url<]http://www.tyedyeshop.com[/url<] (which still resolves) but the new name is clearly apropos (for the DeadHeads in the room).

• ronch

I used to be a huge fan of Hawaiian polo shirts. Flowers, fruits, colorful designs, loud designs, you name it. That was about 10 years ago. Now that kind of fashion has fallen out of favor in my country, but not with me. Every time I wear them colorful shirts people start calling me the mayor. Oh well.

• LukeCWM

I really wish I could have made it! Maybe next year!

• Forge

This year was record-setting, and I have a few people who have never come talking about the next one….

• gigafinger

That’s a lot of cornholing!