The Tòu of In Win wraps PCs in aluminum and tempered glass

In Win is known for showing off outrageous-looking enclosure prototypes at the Computex trade show. This year, it was the Tòu, which surrounds an aluminum frame with angular panels cut from tempered glass. The case has now made its way onto In Win’s site, suggesting a limited number will be available for purchase.

We’ve seen see-through cases before, but this one is different. The tempered glass is coated with a mirror-like finish that becomes transparent only when backlit by the case’s internal LEDs. Check it out:

Yeah, that looks pretty cool.

This is the sort of case that deserves to be mounted on a desk where it can be seen, so the front-panel controls are at the bottom. You get touch-sensitive buttons for power, fan speed, and LED brightness. There are also dual USB 3.0 ports and a pair of 3.5-mm audio jacks.

Inside, the Tòu accepts ATX motherboards and can handle graphics cards up to 15" long. Horizontal shelves provide room for three 3.5" drives. You can add a pair of 2.5" drives, too. Optical bay? Check, although In Win apparently didn’t bother making an insert to cover the gaping hole.

Speaking of gaping holes, what’s up with the lack of a cut-out behind the CPU socket? The Tòu has a few cable routing holes but no portal to provide access to heatsink retention hardware. All beautiful creatures have their quirks, I guess.

I’ve seen In Win’s crazy prototypes up close, and they’re beautifully made. The limited-edition designs are also incredibly expensive. In Win doesn’t mention the Tòu’s price on its site, but similarly outlandish models like the D Frame and H Frame sell for about $400. That’s a big ask for an imperfect case. Then again, perhaps it’s not too much for something so unique.

A handful of sites have picked up this story, but it looks like Hardware.info deserves the credit for first spotting the Tòu online.

• kamikaziechameleon

Beautiful but wish they would include basic tenants of standard high end cases. We expect a 400 dollar case to have the features of a 40 dollar case at the very least. All that glass and no dust filter. Sounds like a gimmick that is going to fail. Who has the time to clean that every month.

• Meadows

Looks good to me.

…Yeah, won’t buy one though.

Huge, impractical, and genuinely not that attractive.

I’ll be avoiding this like all the other [url=http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/08/lian-li-v1020-v2120-preview/pc-777-2.jpg<]ridiculous[/url<] [url=http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-ck101/<]case[/url<] [url=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/unique-atx-cases-compared,1561-9.html<]designs[/url<].

• danny e.

At least the train one really looks cool, even if it is impractical. I wouldn’t mind having that one.
      This one, however just looks terrible.

• danny e.

One of the fugliest cases ever.

• BIF

I like it.

But it is my perception that everybody hates just about all new case designs. It’s no surprise that they all look the same. We get exactly what we want, and then we complain of boredom.

• A_Pickle

I like it too. The touch controls seem a bit over the top, and would a few more frontside ports be too much to ask for on a $400 case, though?

Still, unique. I’d love to own one, but I’m not wealthy enough to blow $400 on a case that will be far too heavy to show off at LAN parties. 😀

[quote<]We get exactly what we want[/quote<] In terms of "general straight-sided box shape" yes, I agree with you. I very much doubt that we all "want" garish, Asian designs with fake-plastic styling bolted on like Silverstone, ThermalTake, BitFenix, CoolerMaster, Rosewill, NZXT.... The benchmark for quality aesthetics is Apple, and all they have to do is restrain the design so that it [i<]isn't[/i<] covered in unnecessary plastic shapes, colour accents, faux-carbon and a massive range of mismatched materials. Perhaps this is why Corsair and Fractal Design are doing so well: No-nonsense, functional boxes without the tasteless over-styling that reminds me of my Childhood robot toys.

• BIF

Awww, but I loved those robot toys!

• slowriot

I like the concept and intention but I feel they missed the mark a bit on execution.

• BIF

Just what do you mean?

• slowriot

Intention: The goal of this case. They clearly set out to make a case that’s not just unique and aesthetically pleasing but could even be considered art.

Concept: The visual cues and materials employed in trying to achieve that intention. The use of aluminum and tempered glass. The shapes being used.

Execution: Despite the intention and the materials/aesthetics they ultimately made a kinda ugly case. In my opinion it missed the mark. I still like what they set out to do, I like their choice of materials, and I even like that they wanted to use angular shapes… it just didn’t come together quite right.

• BIF

I still don’t get it. It’s a case that has to accommodate a certain internal form factor.

It does all that. What more do you want?

• ronch

This case screams STAR WARS. Well, how about [url=http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case-mod/2009/03/23/r2d2-budget-mod-by-frenk-janse/<]this[/url<]?

• Ryhadar

Looks pretty cool. I really dig In Win’s crazy cases. The H Frame is particularly cool.

That said, too expensive, thus will probably never own or see in person. Oh well.

• JrdBeau

At least it has a place to mount my 8-tracks there at the bottom. Always pushing the envelope.

• Flatland_Spider

That’s not what I was expecting at all. Well, maybe a little since it was In Win. I was expecting curved glass with aluminum highlights, you know something that looks like it came from Cupertino.

This is an okay design. I get how they were trying to imitate modern, industrial building design, One Technology Center in Tulsa ([url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/One_Technology_Center.jpg/1127px-One_Technology_Center.jpg<]pic[/url<]) is a good example of the architectural style. Here are some [url=http://www.furniturefashion.com/amazing_modern_architecture_from_werner_sobek_of_germany/<]more examples[/url<] of modern industrial styling. They don't really use the cues correctly. Glass and metal building are supposed to be light and airy. This doesn't capture that feel. The chunky random cutouts on the top of the case are the most glaring problem. Being chunky and not a geometric pattern is it's first problem, and it's second, is the exposed fan attachment points. Third, it's not functional. This is form over function, and they should have gotten rid of it. Next, they need to hide the fans. They aren't stylized, so they need to disappear. The stock fans kill the magic of the rest of the case. If In Win wanted to have custom fans made that matched the style of the case, then by all means show them off. Otherwise, ventilation just needs to "happen".

• Bensam123

Now those I think look ugly. This looks like a skyscraper, where those look like glass blocks.

• Bensam123

Wow, that almost looks like it’s worth $400. Compared to the Lamborghini Thermaltake case or whatever that PoS was, this looks very well made and it’s extremely stylish. I’d expect to find this in some classy residence. That lighting trick is really killer.

• Decelerate

Frankly, I like it!

Now if only this and the Corsair Obsidian 350D can make kids…

Actually, all I want is that tempered glass as a side panel.

• colinstu12

Would’ve been popular in 2004. Not anymore.

• drfish

Proudly made on Tatooine.

• Neutronbeam

Yeah my first thought too–Jawa sandcrawler in chrome!

• Aerugo
      • dashbarron

I’m starting to really like this drfish character. It’s the 920 love….

• ronch

Considering the materials used and shipping/handling, this thing’s a steal.

• StainlessSteelMan

A perceptive one you are!

• ronch

To be honest, I think it’s ugly.

• vargis14

I agree with you ronch. Plus the tempered glass version probably weighs 40+lbs with out any gizzards.

If i hd to pick one of them it would be the aluminum one…and they should have used Phillips headed screws and thumb screws so they look more lined up.

• cynan

There is only the tempered glass version…

• ratte

Yeah, me too, it’s a seriously ugly piece of kit.

• ClickClick5

Looks like an ex Halo artist drew it up.

• Srsly_Bro

When Halo kids grow up?

• jihadjoe

Anand Shimpi is a Halo kid, just sayin.

• rwburnham

Agreed. Plus, I would imagine it’s heavy as hell.

• jessterman21

I was about to post, “You guys are kidding right? That’s one of the ugliest cases I’ve ever seen.”

• jdaven

I was just about to say the same thing.