Low-profile PSU, Mini-ITX motherboard collide in EVGA Hadron chassis

EVGA is getting into the chassis business. The graphics card maker is starting small—literally. Its first design is a Mini-ITX enclosure that measures just 6.6″ x 12″ x 12″. Dubbed the Hadron Air, this mini case is designed to accept enthusiast-grade hardware, including double-wide graphics cards up to 10.5″ long.

According to EVGA, the Hadron Air is “compatible with many aftermarket CPU air coolers.” The compatibility FAQ lacks specifics about which air coolers will fit, but compatibility may depend partly on the position of the socket relative to the boundaries of the motherboard. EVGA is pretty emphatic that the Hadron Air won’t work with water coolers, though. A Hadron Hydro model is coming for the liquid cooling crowd.

In the Hadron Air, cooling is provided by a pair of 120-mm fans in the top panel. There’s also at least one tiny fan associated with the power supply that lives in the bottom of the chassis.

Although the PSU keeps a low profile, it’s not short on power. The 500W unit can pump out up to 480W on the 12V rail alone. 80 Plus Gold certification suggests the PSU is pretty power-efficient, too. That 80 Plus designation mandates an efficiency no lower than 87%.

I think I can just see the Hadron’s drive cage through the windowed left panel. The dual-bay cage accepts 2.5 and 3.5″ drives. You can also squeeze a slot-loading optical drive behind the front bezel. The loading slot peers out the right side of the bezel along with pairs of USB 3.0 and analog audio ports.

EVGA’s online store has the Hadron Air priced at $190 with a September 11 ship date. That may sound expensive, but keep in mind that the PSU is included. 500W units with equivalent 80 Plus Gold ratings run at least $80 at Newegg. Speaking of which, this low-profile Seasonic model has nearly identical specifications to the Hadron’s PSU. Hmmm.

• Xenolith

Needs a pop/soda can next to it for scale.

• Duck

Bah, you could make a fanless metal PSU brick that used the chassis as a heatsink. If you can get 250W from a plastic PSU brick, I’m sure you could get 350W+ with this method no problem. Why is nobody doing this?

Because plastic PSU bricks are electrically insulated, I guess.

I like the idea but I doubt it’d be easy to do in a way that would satisfy basic electrical safety regulations. You’d need some electrical insulator that is also a heat conductor, and I can’t think of any cheap materials that satisfy those requirements.

• Duck

Or you could earth the casing? I thought that would be fine…

• Voldenuit

[quote<]EVGA is pretty emphatic that the Hadron Air won't work with water coolers[/quote<] So adamant that they put holes for water cooling tubes in the back. Or do they just mean internal radiators?

• kamikaziechameleon

My exact thought when I read that.

• Goty

I had the same thought, but I’m pretty sure they mean prebuilt, all-in-one coolers.

• mnemonick

Based on the back panel cutouts (and the slots and screw holes just below them) I’d guess that they’re going to add a custom external radiator to the rear of the hydro-cooled version. It’s more economical to do one chassis for both models, after all.

Edit: Actually it’s internal (and taller): [url<]http://www.evga.com/articles/00777/#Hydro[/url<]

• south side sammy

got this in my inbox today…………….

99 cents! What is better than the brand new EVGA Hadron mini ITX complete DIY kit for just 99 cents? Sign up, answer the questions and you will be entered for a chance to have a complete DIY kit for only 99 cents! Three (3) entrants will be chosen at random out of all available entries (one from each region; Americas, Europe and Asia).

[url<]http://www.evga.com/nl.asp?id=2315[/url<]

• Price0331

Thanks for the heads up sir, I thought this was spam then realized it is actually on EVGA’s homepage.

Looks overpriced to me; the design looks to be four stamped panels, a plastic fascia and the cheapest/ugliest design possible for expansion slot covers. They haven’t bothered to spray all of the inside of the case black which is essential for a case with a window – It looks like the back panel and side panels are unpainted grey, probably with those ugly blue manufacturing stamps on them as well.

I am not impressed. If Coolermaster or Antec produced this, you’d expect it to be $50 without a PSU and $100 with a bundled 80+. I’m thinking this is barely a step up from the cheapest Chinese cases that already flood the market.

• 0g1

Are you Krogoth? 😉

• Sargent Duck

Looks nice, but that small fan at the back = fail. Although given it’s a low profile, options are limited.

Also, as hans mentioned, aren’t those water tubing ports at the top?

Looks nice. I’d swap out the window for a solid case side though (personal preference) as my computers are next to me in the living room.

• Deanjo

That little fan on the power supply is going to be one noisy little bugger.

• stdRaichu

If it’s anything like the Seasonic 350W and 400W I have in my NAS boxes, the fan is loud for about half a second at startup and then turns off. It’s probable the fan will ramp up as load increases, but I’ve never been able to suck enough juice from mine to get it to do so.

• Deanjo

A NAS box is unlikely to draw enough from the power supply to have it start heating up. A power hungry drive is still under 10 Watts under load so unless you have a ton of drives installed it is unlikely to kick it in.

• kamikaziechameleon

I was all about this case till I saw that. I started thinking why even put a fat like that on a case, it will just hurt its cause.

• hans

Won’t work with water coolers but aren’t those grommeted openings for external reservoir runs? Just for a GPU cooler then?

• Prion

Just looking at this thing gives me a raging hadron

• bthylafh

Came here for the juvenile jokes, was not disappointed.

• ssidbroadcast

Some of us here just blow hot air.

• hasseb64

Good one, enogh high efficency PSU installed
    Log me in!