Saints Row IV to join Never Settle Forever bundle

In the market for a new Radeon? Well, good news: yet another title is about to join AMD’s Never Settle game bundling deal.

That game is Saints Row IV, and AMD says it will soon be added to the Gold Reward tier of the Never Settle Forever promotion. That means you’ll be able to get it—and two other games—free of charge with the purchase of a Radeon HD 7950, 7970, or 7970 GHz Edition. Assuming you shop at a participating retailer or e-tailer, of course.

The Gold Reward tier currently includes nine titles, and you can pick and choose which ones you want. The most recent games available today are Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, which came out on April 30, and Tomb Raider, which was released on March 5. Saints Row IV is barely three weeks old, so it’s going to freshen up the selection somewhat.

The current Gold Reward selection. Source: AMD.

I haven’t had a chance to play Saints Row IV yet, but AMD was kind of enough to give us a rough summary of what it’s about:

Saints Row IV is an open world game that continues the story of the Third Street Saints by elevating their status to the highest level – the leaders of the free world. After a catastrophic alien invasion occurs where the aliens trasnport the Saints to a bizarro-Steelport simulation, you must fight to free humanity from alien grandaddy Zinyak’s mental grasp by ultiziling gargantuan superpowers. Escape the simulation that’s trapped the Saints crew, or die trying.

Not mentioned: the dubstep gun, which is on display in the video below.

The game actually sounds fun, too. Metacritic shows an average critic score of 86 and an average user score of 7.4, which is good for a retail game, and even better for a freebie.

• Darkmage

After playing SR2, I picked up SR3 when it came out and I pre-ordered SR4 as soon as I heard about it. I’ll spare you the history of the franchise and just highly recommend the game. It ditches GTA’s oh-so-serious approach to open world mayhem and concentrates instead on making you experience those Moments of Awesome that we all love.

Saints Row IV is not about gravitas, realism or gritty rendered worlds. It is about absolutely, ridiculously, over-the-top absurdly fun gameplay. And – and this is the key bit – it is very aware of what it is. It threads the needle between being a dumb game that takes itself too seriously and a dumb game that insults your intelligence. It lands right smack upon the sweet spot of a dumb game that knows that it is absurd and wants you to come along for the ride.

It does have problems. It is fairly buggy and you’ll probably experience several crashes as you play. But it won’t keep you from finishing the game and it won’t keep you from enjoying the hell out of it.

• SoM

that super hero power, nice.

i can already see people making Neo/Matrix scenes

• HisDivineOrder

There is no spork.

• Darkmage

After you play it, you’ll realize that it actually says “There is no pancakes”

But close enough. 🙂

• SternHammer

No Dota 2?
    Dota 2, with all the unlocked sets and skins would be sweet.

• PrincipalSkinner

To have it all instantly? Where’s the fun in that?

• Bensam123

Dumb game, but awesome addition to the never settle promotions… Keep it up AMD, you’re turning heads.

• nanoflower

You mean a dumb but fun game. 😉

Seriously, Saints Row isn’t a game to be taken seriously. It’s one where you get a chance to let your fantasies roam and they just keep getting wilder with each new version (although I’ve heard we may get a reset with Saint’s Row V.)

• Bensam123

After a certain point it becomes dumb because they throw much crap together it just becomes a crap salad, rather then any sort of meaningful game. I’m all for imaginative and abstract works, but this doesn’t really have any sort of theme or meaning to it.

• lilbuddhaman

theme – the matrix + gta + mass effect
          meaning – parody, satire
          your mind – blown

• Bensam123

Yes because throwing a bunch of parodies together makes it a well themed game…? No, it’s still crap salad.

Parodies rank up there with puns, especially poorly made parodies. Compare something like this to Spaceballs. Spaceballs is a extremely well done parody of StarWars, while still at the same time trying to maintain it’s own likeness and sense of humor.

A game like this just throws a bunch of references together with no real meaning or idea behind it except to make references and get people to ‘get that’.

• Darkmage

Huh? What’s the problem with puns?

The beauty of a pun is in the “Oy!” of the beholder.

• JohnC

The “meaning” of this game is to have fun.

• Bensam123

Aye and I reiterate that when just throw a bunch of crap together it doesn’t make a good game or a fun one, you’re just left with a schizophrenic mess that doesn’t even know what it is.

If pop-culture references in another game do it for you, then all the more power to you. I see that just as a sign of something without personality of it’s own.

• Srsly_Bro

How ’bout you keep your fantasies in the bedroom.

• Ryu Connor

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGlvGLbyeYk<]I think you mean game of the year awesome.[/url<]

• destroy.all.monsters

I’m new to the Saints Row franchise but I bought SR2 and 3 in the Deep Silver Bundle awhile back and it’s been the best money I’ve spent on a bundle so far (Although if you don’t own the Men of War Series you should go to BundleStars right friggin’ now) . SR2 is a *huge* world. Add the Gentlemen of the Row mod and you get not only a plethora of bugfixes but some really nice add-on mods. So much more fun than GTA IV was – and thankfully vastly less depressing and serious. Putting radioactive ink in your enemy’s tattoo kit? Priceless.

ETA: about the only clear cut advantage GTA IV has is better music. If memory serves the helicopter controls are better too. Given the fact that Rockstar spent far more money on GTA IV than THQ/Volition did on SR2 – the lack of optimiztion for pc is ridiculous.

I haven’t even had a chance to play SR III yet but I expect it’s amazing as well. Also if you’re a Crusader Kings fanatic (and everyone should be) Gamersgate has a big sale on all of it including the newest DLC the Old Gods. Turn-based, roleplaying elements, crushing revolts, building cities and empires – all there.

• Srsly_Bro

We don’t take kindly to those who don’t take kindly to GTA IV.

• destroy.all.monsters

Color me utterly non-plussed. Anything encrusted with three forms of DRM is intolerable.

• nanoflower

Again, correct. 😉 I really dislike all the extra stuff Rockstar has added. I can’t get the Social Club to work thanks to being on Windows 8 and I’m not sure it will ever work. So I won’t be able to play others online in GTA IV but I will be able to play the game’s single player mode which is what I really wanted to play so I’m not too upset.

• Srsly_Bro

I agree. I have the standalone version, so I only have TWO versions of DRM. I can tell you’re mad.

• nanoflower

Without a doubt you are correct. I had SR3 already but with the Humble Deep Silver Bundle I decided to play SR2 first before playing through SR3. One of the best decisions I’ve made as I’ve played through the game once and am currently playing through it a second time. As you said, GoTR makes the game much more enjoyable. I have GTA IV in my queue to be played but I’m not sure whether to play GTA IV first or SR3. Either way I should have a good time as I’ve heard good things about both (and I know SR3 will be fun from the bit I’ve already played plus the playthroughs that I’ve seen.)

• destroy.all.monsters

GTA IV is pretty buggy too. I’m not going to spoil anything but I will say this – I loved the time I spent with Little Jacob (don’t look him up til you meet him) – everyone else was miserable or had few redeeming qualities. I get that this episode was supposed to be like a 70s downbeat crime saga but it took itself way too seriously for the most part and social transactions were largely a chore.

You can patch out Rockstar Social Club from what I understand – and use xliveless to patch out GFWL but it’s still a ridiculous chore. I got about 2/3rds of the way in and I just wasn’t having fun anymore. When you want to kill all your “friends” it makes it a game I’m less interested in playing. I want to have fun not work for and with people I despise – it’s just too much like work.

Little Jacob is the best part of GTA4 to be sure. I also enjoyed the drive to the bank job, listening to that conversation. Otherewise, GTA4 was decent and a lot of the characters were a pain in the ass. You enjoy seeing certain ones die, which I’m sure is the point.

• Srsly_Bro

Little Jacob was annoying as fuck. What’s the fun in hanging out with someone who is barely coherent? I’d rather go bowling or drinking with Roman. Brucie is the man. He doesn’t GAF. Many ppl don’t like Brucie because they are insecure and can’t handle his personality – and the fact he works out.

• destroy.all.monsters

You’re barely coherent and I like hanging out with you.

• JohnC

Yes. I’ve had more fun with SR games than with any GTA game. Not to say GTA games are “boring” but just not equally fun/amusing.

• indeego

SR2 is one of the worst conversions ever to PC. It’s basically unplayable without modification, of which the community took up.

That really doesn’t deserve gushing.

• destroy.all.monsters

I don’t see a drm-laden buggy mess that’s not particularly fun as better than a steam-laden buggy mess that’s a ton of fun. It does what I enjoy in an open world game and I think that SR4 has got to be a worthy add-on to that bundle.

Since when has a really fun game not been worth gushing about? Every game has faults but in the poor optimization sweepstakes I don’t see GTA IV as being out ahead especially when it had a much higher budget.

I don’t mind when you want to or need a mod to make a game better. I had to get rid of several annoyances in order to play GTA IV as well (RSC, GFWL) and to me no game is playable with that many layers of crap to deal with.

• indeego

Had no issues with GTAIV other than updating GFWL a few times, ignoring it the rest of the time. The game played fine.

Both are great games, I just wanted to add that SRII is seriously considered amongst the worst ports ever, and the mods make it playable and enjoyable. GTAIV doesn’t need mods to have a good time.

• destroy.all.monsters

Fair enough – what annoys you isn’t what annoys me. I had no intention of ever installing GFWL or RSC to play what for me will always be a single player game. I prefer to turn off multiplayer when I’m not using it (for me it’s rare). It isn’t just the implementation – it’s the idea that you need to wrap around your game in layer after layer of incredibly dubious drm. I didn’t find GTA IV as crashy but when it did crash for me was far more problematic because it would be in-mission more often than not.

GOTR also added dlc content to SR2 that isn’t available otherwise. I agree that it’s not a good port – but it’s deep and fun and I have a ball every time I play it.

To sum it up I’d say SR2 failed as a port to some degree – but GTA IV failed as a result of its ambition and scope as well as level of polish. Short of the construction site shoot out and hanging with Little Jacob it just wasn’t fun. I haven’t played either Ballad or Lost and Damned and maybe they fixed it to some extent – but the soul crushing nagging of people that are your “friends” and the scum that you consistently work for plus a story struggling for cohesion is just too much. I’m glad you liked it – I wanted to.

• Choz

Sounds great, unless you’re in Australia.

• Jigar

and in India. 🙁

• f0d

yeah we dont get nvidia bundles either
      i got nothing with my gtx670’s 🙁

these bundles should be in the box imo