Space is the place in Call of Duty: Ghosts single-player trailer

How do you fell about heavily scripted, on-rails shooters? Oh, you like them? Well, have we got a video for you. The Call of Duty folks have released the official single-player trailer for this year’s iteration of the billion-dollar franchise, Ghosts.

For a moment, I thought I was watching the trailer for Gravity. That could have been Sandra Bullock at about the 0:10 mark. But no, these astronauts have automatic weapons.

The trailer seems to be made up entirely of cinematic cuts, though some of that could be gameplay footage. One never knows with the CoD series, whose single-player campaigns increasingly feel like interactive movies. I suppose there are loads of players who want to be led through a series of over-the-top action sequences while they mindlessly squeeze the trigger. They’re probably the same people who go see Michael Bay flicks.

Although the trailer is short on innovative gameplay, the slick production values are evident. They serve as a reminder that, despite its dumbed-down take on the FPS—or perhaps because of it—Call of Duty has become one of the biggest names in the entire entertainment business, let alone the gaming industry. Infinity Ward may not have elevated the art in the eyes of hardcore PC gamers, but it’s certainly raised the profile of blockbuster video games.

Let’s hope Infinity Ward has a few interesting twists up its sleeve with Ghosts. I remember being blown away by Modern Warfare‘s "Death From Above" AC-130 gunship mission. They could do something really cool with zero-gravity combat. Or dogs. Or Soviet space dogs!

• Forge

Rods From God!

Deorbital Kinetic Kill!

Woot for Sci-Fi sneaking into mass entertainment!

• tbone8ty

How is it that mw, mw2, are still $20?

Black ops 2 is still $60??

Gtfo

• trackerben

Call of Solaris: Ghosts in Space: Shattered Event Horizon – Orbit Ops

• Klimax

Missing Section 666:<rest of name>

• kamikaziechameleon

Well I see allot of people are upset.

Having not played and been disappointed by this specific entry I must admit I’m intrigued by the trailer. I found the visuals to be acceptable and the narrative of the trailer to be compelling. I hope they can bring that into the final game in an interesting way.

I hope that MP is finally fixed. I am simply tired of the way they implement the locked progression and grind system in most of the games aside from black ops 1.

Here is to hoping this game redeems previous missteps.

PS: I think in the last 2 years pc has experienced a MASSIVE shooter revival that is so strong and awesome I can no longer blame COD for ruining the genre.

• Bensam123

Hey now, I’ve seen Michael Bay movies!

This would probably be a pretty good action movie if it was one. It almost reminds me of Bond movies… Exotic locations, lots of explosions, peril… There aren’t enough female love interests though. Perhaps that’ll change with the addition of female soldiers.

• chuckula

[quote<]It almost reminds me of Bond movies[/quote<] Hey Bensam, I'm going to copy you now by posting an infantile rant about how you "stole" my post (and you even dowthumbed it before you stole it).

• Prestige Worldwide

COD is the McDonalds of videogames and ruined the multiplayer FPS genre for a generation.

– Removed dedicated servers from multiplayer, a standard in 99% of all multiplayer FPS for over a decade
    – Remove mod tools, effectively killing the competitive community
    – Rehashing same levels from previous games as paid DLC
    – Compressing the skill gap, with each release being more EZmode than the previous game since MW2
    – Rewarding crappy players for n00b playstyles instead of encouraging them to develop their skills by pumping the game full of dumb gimmicks like remote control cars, drones, air strikes, nonsensical perks

Still sells the most, so everybody copies it, lowering the bar for every developer in the industry, effectively making it OK for everybody to release garbage. Activision’s shareholders win, gamers lose.

Seriously, WTF happened? Does anybody even remember when being a man with a gun was enough, when games were actually a test of your skill and strategy? Can an independent dev please stand up and release something to reinvigorate the genre? I’m tired of this crap.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU[/url<]

• RickyTick

Call of Duty was superb all the way through COD4: MW. It just all seems rather mediocre since then.

• Deanjo

[quote<]It just all seems rather mediocre since then.[/quote<] That's my feeling with basically every FPS for the last 10 years. Last one I truly enjoyed was UT99. The whole genre is stale.

• indeego

Never gotten through a single UT game. Dull as doornails.

Has great MP elements, but I outgrew that when my feelings on “beating” someone else at a game faded with time/age.

• Prestige Worldwide

You’re preaching to the choir here. COD4 with Promod is one of the best balanced competitive games ever made.

• Srsly_Bro

I’ll only play COD4. I still have it installed and pinned to my taskbar.

• indeego

You gave a list of things a certain, nonprofitable portion of the industry that profit-seeking companies just don’t care about.

WTF happened is money. It drives capitalist societies. Or do you honestly think McDonald’s burgers today are made of the same meat sources from the 50’s?

• Prestige Worldwide

Thanks for pointing that out for me, I was completely unaware that Activision was trying to make money by releasing a new COD with 4+ DLC packs every year.

• indeego

So I’m curious why your writing (complaining) is actually going to change anything. I tell people who complain:

[b<]Do something about it, or ignore it.[/b<]

• Prestige Worldwide

It’s more of a plea for an emerging dev to make a better game and reinvigorate the genre than a complaint about COD. COD isn’t the only guilty party here and I’m certainly not expecting anything from InfinityWard / Activion / Treyarch.

The best I can do is not buy their games, and I don’t. I know, I know…. post the screenshot of the “Boycott MW2” steam group playing MW2. I didn’t buy it. I don’t buy Activision games, period.

I’m just getting to the point where I question what the hell I even have a gaming PC for anymore because nothing new is suitable for competitive play and I feel alienated by the developers whose audience I used to be a part of.

• GraveDigger

You spend half the article lambasting the Call of Duty franchise for being a rail shooter but then go on to say you were blown away by Death From Above, the part that is literally a rail shooter where enemies can’t fight back and the only challenge is not shooting the blobs that blink? That’s possibly the worst example of the trend in the franchise’s history with the possible exception of No Russian (wouldn’t know since I stopped playing when MW2 removed servers and leaning because it was a sad fork of the Xbox code).

Stick to reviewing hardware. It’s clear you only posted this to drive pageviews if your opinion of the series is so low.

• Bensam123

You were funny till the end where it turned dumb.

• Dissonance

Except that I brought up Death from Above as an example of an interesting twist, which it was. It’s a pretty iconic level, and a formula that’s been copied numerous times since. One can appreciate that kind of innovation without buying into the idea that the entire game should resemble a shooting gallery. CoD has certainly moved more in that direction since the original Modern Warfare.

• indeego

Good point. TR also likes Metro 2033 and Mirror’s edge, two of the most rails games I’ve ever played for an hour before tossing in a digital garbage pile.

• sirsoffrito

I fell about them quite interestly.

• danny e.

this.

• chuckula

I got two words for you, just two words: MOON RAKER

Moonraker is only one word.

• chuckula

Quiet you… do you want to get sued by James Bond?

• Deanjo

Bond doesn’t sue, he takes you out with his laser equipped iWatch.

• trackerben

Is Moon Wrecker ok? oOps that’s Oblivion…

• drfish

First person shooters are just not something I fell very excited about these days. [i<]Especially[/i<] not CoD and similar.