Asus Transformer Book T100 convertible has quad-core Bay Trail SoC, starts at $349

We now have more details on the Bay Trail convertible Asus showed during today’s IDF keynote. The system employs the Atom Z3740, which is a quad-core chip with a maximum CPU clock of 1.8GHz. That frequency is 600MHz slower than the peak speed of the Z3770 Scott tested, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

The Transformer Book’s SoC has a dual-channel memory interface, to which Asus attaches 2GB of RAM. That memory footprint is well within the limitations of 32-bit operating systems, nicely sidestepping the fact that Bay Trail’s connected standby mode isn’t expected to work in 64-bit Windows until the first quarter of next year.

The tablet half of the Transformer is built around a 10.1″ screen driven by an IPS panel. Unfortunately, the display resolution is just 1366×768. That resolution doesn’t look horrible on a 10″ screen, but it’s a far cry from the crispness of high-PPI displays. Bummer.

The usual accoutrements line the edges of the tablet. There’s an analog audio jack, Micro USB and HDMI connectivity, and a Micro SD slot to augment the 32 of 64GB of internal storage.

The included keyboard dock features “precision-engineered keys” and a clicky touchpad with full Windows 8.1 gesture support. USB 3.0 connectivity can also be found in the dock, but it looks like a full-sized SD slot didn’t make the cut. As far as I can tell, neither did an auxiliary battery. The spec sheet doesn’t mention a secondary cell, but it says the T100’s 31Wh battery is good for 11 hours of run time.

With its keyboard attached, the Transformer Book T100 measures 10.4″ x 6.7″ x 0.93″ and weighs 2.4 lbs. Ditching the dock brings the tablet down 0.41″ thick and 1.2 lbs, which is pretty nice for an honest-to-goodness Windows device.

I have to admit that I let out a sigh when I saw the T100’s display resolution. But I also gasped when I saw the price tag. Asus intends to sell the 32GB version for only $349. The 64GB variant will be priced at $399, and both will come with Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013. If this is the new face of netbooks, the original Eee PC would be proud.

• jenni

come on guys…

I read most of your posts…

1. of course this ‘entry level’ tablet will have
    a lower resolution THIS year…

so that they can IMPROVE it … next year

it’s called …

M A R K E T I N G

2. for 400 bucks (i’m getting the 64 gig version) ‘with’
    MS office? and a full version of MS 8?

great deal

and it’s perfect for just screwing around …

• netscorer

– Windows 32bit and 2GB of RAM – not much of the productivity and lots of fumbling fingers
    – 32GB storage is a non-starter on Windows 8 and don’t forget that MS cripples SD cards access in metro apps
    – 1366×768 may be an OK resolution for laptop, but sucks in tablet mode when screen is much closer to the eyes
    – underpowered Bail Trail chip means it’s still dog slow and not much better then last year’s Atom chips
    – I don’t see anything exceptional about the price. In Android world this tablet would be average at best and if we are gushing here about Windows 8 and MS Office – didn’t MS said that they will not charge for these licenses in small tablet format?
    – no dual-booting into Android limits the tablet practicality. Anyone who visited MS Windows 8 App store knows that it’s not much better then Soviet supermarket.

This is going to be an average device at best even at launch and given typical ASUS ‘commitment’ to shipments (all previous transformers were announced with 6-8 months of no to very low availability), I would not expect this to make any dents in a runaway train of iPad, Nexus and Kindle tablet market share.
    And how, I wonder, anyone would be able to bring $199 tablets to market that Intel sang us last week when even this average entry is priced at the top of current tablet ledger.

• dragontamer5788

A number of your facts are straight up wrong. I don’t think I need to elaborate on any of them.

• chuckula

You know, let me give you some professional advice: When trolling with an overly-long list of bullet points, try to slip in a couple of completely ridiculous ones, especially when the rest of your troll is rather boring.

Here are some helpful examples:
      – Everything in the Android world is open source, and we all know open source means free, so they should pay me money to take one of these pieces of crap away.

– Bay Trailer Park is such a failure that I’m sure Kaveri will have a better GPU. I’ll just get a Kaveri tablet that will be free and have a 36 Hour battery life.

– It’s pretty obvious from Nvidia’s roaring success with WinRT that x86 Windows is a has-been. These tablets would be perfect if they just had RT instead of these crappy chips.

– Intel killed my dog.

• dragontamer5788

– Intel Has-been is so bad that they have to wait for a Michael Bay-Trail Atomic Explosion to reset the whole world. In the smoldering ruins of computing, snapDragons will rise up and take over. Only Androids, like RoboCop or Terminator, can save us now.

• jihadjoe

Damn I’m confused.

I’m not sure if I should +1 you for being a bad troll, or -1 you for being stupid.

• koziolek-matolek

You will be down-voted here if you:

a. say anything bad about Windows
      b. say anything bad about Intel

If you really need to complain, AMD and Apple should be your targets.

• trackerben

Whoa nice for the price

• jessterman21

[quote<]But I also gasped when I saw the price tag.[/quote<] Geoff, I'd love to hear you actually gasp. Seems impossible to me, since you're always the least-surprised and most even-keeled one in the podcast.

• liquidsquid

Screen resolution too low? Wont Windows scale like crap on a tiny 10″ display with very high resolutions? My thought is many program’s dialogs are not able to scale well with larger font selections, and the desktop icons become specks. A lot of customization must be done to ratchet up the size of everything to make it useable and visible.

• dragontamer5788

Surface Pro was designed for a 10-inch display at 1920x1080p. Most things seemed to look fine when I test drove it in the store.

Beyond that (lol Kirabook), things start to look too tiny. But the Surface Pro itself looks fine IMO. So I think Windows is ready for 1080p resolutions at 10 inches.

• kamikaziechameleon

Am I the only one prepared to pay whatever it costs to get the DEVICE I WANT/NEED?

I know there are allot of users who start by looking at the cost and not at what they are buying. I’m not wealthy or anything but I realized the easiest way to loose money is to blow it on something less than what i want/need.

• paulWTAMU

Highly usage dependent; there is such a thing as “good enough” particularly for media consumption and email checking and light productivity.

• jihadjoe

There’s the problem. Not every user knows what level of performance he needs.

As tech enthusiasts I’m confident most of us here are the exception to that rule, but would you trust your mom to be able to pick out a just “good enough” tablet for herself?

• Beelzebubba9

I’m the exact same way – why spend a bunch of money on something that’s not what I want when I could save more and get exactly what I want and not be kicking myself every time I use the sub par device.

• ET3D

A lot of people spend more money than what they need. You may be one of them. The fact that you add “want” suggests that you know that you don’t really need, you just enjoy owning and using the more expensive stuff.

• kamikaziechameleon

can I get a 1600p 13″ win 8 tablet with an awesome digitizer please?

• Sahrin

Yikes…how can you write on a such a small surface?

• Klimax

13″ is small??? How could then I survive on 10″! (Surface Pro…)

• Sahrin

Originally said 8″

• Klimax

Hate silent edits. (Maybe if I didn’t use threaded view, I might see quotes as originally seen by other poster)

Although 8″ might still wok, but it might be bit space restricted. (Remember ancient Windows Mobile 2002 PDA…)

• Sahrin

[quote<]The system employs the Atom Z3470,[/quote<] Do you mean 3740?

Windows 32 bit.
    In 2013?

• Beelzebubba9

Some of Bay Trail’s features (Always On Connectivirty) only work on 32bit Windows.

Plus with 2GB of RAM soldered on to the motherboard, 32bits won’t really limit anything.

• aceuk

64-bit Windows 8.1 has the ‘Connected Standby’ feature now.

• NeelyCam

Sure, but Intel has to get drivers updated/fixed.

So, I’m thinking Q3/14..

• OneArmedScissor

Reminds of people who wanted Athlon 64s in 2004 as “future proof” for the upcoming Windows XP 64. 10 years later, well…lol.

• ronch

I’m really curious to know why there’s a dearth of Kabini-based devices and Bay Trail systems are popping up here and there. Kabini’s been out for a while now while Bay Trail just came out. Is Kabini so bad OEMs decided to wait for BT? What’s going on here, people?

• OneArmedScissor

It’s worse. OEMs are using the 4 watt version, but for laptops!

• NeelyCam

Laptop > tablet.

• dragontamer5788

You mean Temash. Kabini are the low-power laptop chips… and Temash is the Tablet-version of that.

Now Temash definitely can work in the tablet form factor… the Toshiba Click is proof of that. (As well as the reference designs that have been available since January). And Toshiba at least was willing to push Temash. (MSI seems to have epic-failed with the Hondo tablet. Soooo late to the game)

I’d argue it was poor timing on AMD’s part. It seems like Windows 8.1 is the holdup. The one thing consistent about all of these tablets is that they’re launching with the new version of Windows. OEMs may have been waiting for software support from Microsoft before launching these new designs.

Clovertrail was launched in conjunction with Windows 8, and Bay Trail was timed to perfectly coincide with Windows 8.1.

Temash however, had an awkward release date in June, somewhere between the Windows launch times.

• Ryu Connor

1366×768

[url=http://youtu.be/VYPsoxpt0BU<]to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.[/url<]

• raddude9

Sure, 1366×768 is a lousy resolution to have on a 13inch screen, but in a 10inch screen it’s just fine.

• Beelzebubba9

It’s also a $350 10″ Tablet. 1366×768 is fine.

• Hattig

I agree, but to be honest my home netbook is 1366×768 on an 11.6″ screen and that’s not too bad, so it will be okay on a 10.1″ screen.

Unless you also own a hi-res tablet, the problem with these great displays is that they ruin other displays even if previously you would have been happy with them.

• Sahrin

It’s 150 ppi, versus 300 ppi for a ‘retina’-class display, which the leading offerings for Android and iOS both have natively.

It’s not so much that it’s ‘lousy’ – it’s that it is failing to compete effectively. Sure this thing blows them both out of the water software-wise, but I think the better display could easily be achieved with $50 extra, and then this would literally be the best tablet available.

• Sahrin

This with a high dpi screen is worth $100 more to me. 11.6″ if you’re feeling particularly generous.

• ermo

Except a 10″ tablet is already pushing the envelope in terms of dual tablet/netbook functionality; If the tablet gets any larger, it’s too big for the tablet form factor, as in too unwieldy, too heavy and the display would suck too much power.

I just want the display format to be 16:10 instead of 16:9 — 16:9 just plain sucks for a tablet experience. The sooner someone clever realizes this, the sooner said clever person will corner the netbook market for 10″, 16:10, 2560×1600 netbook/tablet hybrids.

• Sahrin

[quote<]Except a 10" tablet is already pushing the envelope in terms of dual tablet/netbook functionality; If the tablet gets any larger, it's too big for the tablet form factor, as in too unwieldy, too heavy and the display would suck too much power.[/quote<] Depends on your use case. I use my tablets as note-taking devices with styli/digitizers. The bigger the better.

• End User

If the 64 GB Surface Pro has approximately 28 GB storage available for user content how much does this thing have? Does the 32GB version have any storage available for user content?

• raddude9

Sure it does, it’s got a microSD slot 😉

• Ricardo Dawkins

it’s called microSD.

• HisDivineOrder

Waiting to see performance reviews of this lower end variant in devices to see if this “good enough” really is good enough.

• bjm

Awesome. This is the hardware and software combination I’ve been waiting for. Windows 8 + Clovertrail were definitely “1.0” versions of the same thing — and it showed. This is much better. I’m interested to see what Microsoft has in-store for September 23rd with their Surface announcements.

• Sargent Duck

A bit of a bummer about the low screen rez, but I think the price makes up for it. It’d be nice if the keyboard was able to add a battery, but overall, this looks to be very proper.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]A bit of a bummer about the low screen rez, but I think the price makes up for it. [/quote<] If you think that's bad, lenovo just announced the T440p :p.

• paulWTAMU

Isn’t the MSRP for them like 899 or something? Totally different market. Yeah I’d rather have a T440 but I can’t afford it.

• Archer

32GB for $349 with a real (non RT) OS and Office 2013 is a steal.

• Waco

This. I know what my wife is getting to replace her iPad now…

• juzz86

Spot on mate. This is exactly where it should’ve launched, both price- and form-wise. Resolution a bit of a let-down? Sure. But at least the IGP will have a field day with pretty much anything – on high. Agree with Geoff’s last sentence wholeheartedly. Well done ASUS.

• Sahrin

$349 for this with RT is a steal. Cheapest iPad with full features is $500, and that doesn’t include Office.

• MadManOriginal

Anything greater than $0 for RT is too much.

• Sahrin

LOL IKNO RITE? STEVEL BALLMER IS THE WURST!!!?1!1!!!

• NeelyCam

When you compare to an iPad, any tablet is a steal

• Voldenuit

NM Edited post. Seems like this comes with regular Windows 8.1 and not RT (sigh of relief).

• UberGerbil

At that price point they certainly leave themselves room to offer a higher-res version costing $100 or $150 more. That gets into iPad territory, but you get the keyboard and Windows in the deal — not to mention USB and an SD slot.

• MadManOriginal

Exactly what I was thinking. A 1920×1080 version would be great, or even 1600×900. When I had my Touchpad, I liked messing around with it but I could tell the resolution made things a *bit* soft, and when I got a high-PPI screen device (Nexus 4) the difference, even going from memory, was clear.

• paulWTAMU

IF they do that by Christmas, I’ll buy it. If not, I may buy this.

• NeelyCam

Apple’s 16GB memory upgrade: $100
    Asus’ 32GB memory upgrade: $50

• windwalker

Great!
      That leaves you with enough to buy a soldering kit so you can upgrade the storage on the cheap.
      Good luck!

• JohnC

Aww, you poor thing… Want another kitten? :-/

• windwalker

Is that the best you can do?
          Use your imagination you pathetic nerd!

• chuckula

YOU DON’T GET IT! APPLE’S MEMORY HAS TWICE THE 64-BIT REGISTERS SO 16GB == INSANELY GREAT!

• MadManOriginal

I smell the start of a new meme….good times.

• chuckula

I have to give you credit for the first properly done sarcastic reference to the power of registers. I’d give Adi credit, but Apple fed him the lines and he didn’t do enough work to satirize the source material.

• grantmeaname

Purportedly.

• windwalker

When do I get to separately buy at production cost the single bit that enables hyper threading on my Intel CPU instead of paying those greedy Intel bastards over $100 for it?

• ermo

I don’t know if the hardware is fused or if it is a micro-code hack away.

Odds are that it’s fused, but I haven’t been able to find info on it. So if people know how, they’re not sharing the trick in public…

And yeah, I don’t know why you got downvoted — it’s a valid question.

• Beelzebubba9

You sure do have a lot of feelings about Apple – enough so that it appears you’re inventing quotes and points you can shadow box with because real, rational discussion seems well beyond you.

Maybe you should see someone about that?

• chuckula

I’m not against Apple putting in a new SoC for their products, which is what they did.

I AM against Apple putting in a SoC designed by ARM and whipping their fanboys into a frenzy like Steve Jobs descended from Nirvana and bestowed magical unique chips that will rule the world.

I’m ALSO against bloated performance claims that haven’t been proven where the exact same Apple fanboys who drool over a [b<][i<]purported[/i<][/b<] doubling of performance act like everyone else is a bunch of idiots when Intel just tripled performance with Bay Trail and the other ARM vendors were already well ahead of the old iPhone parts to begin with. Notice how that, even though I'm rather impressed with Bay Trail, I'm not calling it a religious miracle either. I'm also not saying that the S800 is suddenly going to shrivel and die because Intel came out with a competitive part. There's a difference between liking a product and religious zealotry you know.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]I'm also not saying that the S800 is suddenly going to shrivel and die because Intel came out with a competitive part. [/quote<] Not suddenly - there's inertia to these things. But the only thing that will save Qualcomm is TSMC getting their 20nm working [i<]soon[/i<]. If 20nm isn't out in serious volume when Airmont-based chips come out, the game is utterly over.

• MadManOriginal

Anand has a short piece about an Intel LTE modem…that’s the one huge advantage Qualcomm has right now. I’d say that’s as important for a platform as 20nm.

• Beelzebubba9

[quote=”chuckula”<]I AM against Apple putting in a SoC designed by ARM and whipping their fanboys into a frenzy[/quote<] Apple, alongside Qualcomm, designs their own cores from the ground up using ARM's ISA. Saying the A7 was 'designed by ARM' is the same as saying 'Haswell was designed by AMD' because it runs the AMD64 instruction set. [quote="chuckula"<]'m ALSO against bloated performance claims[/quote<] Apple's performance claims have been generally accurate for years. Skimming a good review of any of Apple's previous phones would tell you that. Considering Qualcomm was able to double CPU performance between the S4 Pro and the Snapdragon 800 gives me no reason to doubt Apple could do the same. [quote="chuckula"<] when Intel just tripled performance with Bay Trail [/quote<] Bay Trail was launched after the iPhone 5S announcement, so it was irrelevant to the initial discussions. Bay Trail is also awesome and I'm pretty sure none of these phantom Apple fanboys you are waging a one man war against ever claimed that the A7 was better. [quote="chuckula"<]There's a difference between liking a product and religious zealotry you know.[/quote<] The only religious zealotry I'm seeing is coming from you, buttercup. Neither myself nor Adi nor any of the other 'Apple Fanboys' have explicitly made any of the claims you seem to be obsessing about, yet you can't stop yourself from spamming discussions about non-Apple products with your banal trolling. Just look at this discussion - even as a hateful, Steve Jobs worshipping, Apple cultist the posts of mine not addressed to you actually contribute to the discussion. Maybe you'd possibly consider something similar?