HP preps 13” convertible tablet with AMD inside

Windows 8.1 is launching next month, and some interesting new laptops will be coming out soon afterward. HP has announced several of them, including a slick-looking 13" convertible with an AMD processor.

Left: the Pavilion 13 x2. Right: the Pavilion 11 x2. Source: HP.

The Pavilion 13 x2 will be HP’s "most affordable detachable PC," the company says. It will have a "full-size HD" IPS touch screen with a 13" diagonal, and it will features a choice of AMD A6 or "new Intel Core processors" (presumably of the Haswell variety). The detachable keyboard dock will include a secondary battery and will be configurable with up to 500GB of mechanical storage, supplementing what I expect to be solid-state storage in the tablet part. Oh, and there will be optional WiDi connectivity in "select models."

You’ll be able to buy the Pavilion 13 x2 on November 17, a month after Windows 8.1’s release, for $599.99. I’m not sure I necessarily see the appeal of a jumbo, 13" tablet, but the starting price is reasonable, and a convertible design may have more appeal than a plain-old notebook with a vaguely useless touch screen.

HP will also offer an 11" version of the system, the HP Pavilion 11 x2, for the same price. Unfortunately, the press release and product page reveal almost nothing about that machine, except for the fact that it will have dual 1080p cameras. Given the price, I would hope the hardware powering it isn’t much slower than what’s inside the 13" machine.

• MadManOriginal

I’ll buy one….for $99!

(Really though, will HP ever be able to release a tablet without the expectation of an almost immediate firesale?)

• mnemonick

Having scrolled around the ad page a bit, I’m more interested in the Slate[super<]8[/super<]Pro they have listed here: [url<]http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/new-products/slate-8-pro.html[/url<] 8" screen and Tegra 4 [i<]and[/i<] looks like it has a 16:10 aspect ratio. Too bad there's no other specs or a price listed. Edit: did some research and it's actually 1600 x 1200 (4:3), but it only has 1GB of DDR3 and no word on storage size or price yet. :/

• heinsj24

I might have to buy one simply for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

My last 1600×1200 device was a 21 inch Sony Trinitron. I suspect the weight savings to be significant.

• OneArmedScissor

No weight cited anywhere. So many turn out to be 5 pounds. There is a morbid obesity epidemic amongst convertibles, emphasis on morbid. This isn’t how you save a declining PC market from inexpensive tablets.

• Farting Bob

I can’t see the advantage of putting an AMD in there. In the power range that large tablets operate in, AMD is not as good as Intel (which in tern is still not as good as ARM, although it’s getting pretty close, although since the 2 are very different and require different OS’s it’s hard to tell).

• StainlessSteelMan

You probably are a very good Lisp programmer, there were at least 3 inner parentheses in that expression.

• kamikaziechameleon

Finally a 13″ tablet. Those 10 inchers are just too small for so many things. I do more than read books on my darn tablet.

• StainlessSteelMan

I hope I’m not breaking your heart, but I think it’s time for you to buy new glasses…

• dpaus

Can anyone else actually see the press release? I just get a blank page…

I was trying to find out more about the 11″ version – I’m looking for a new, very small, very light netbook-style system.

• dpaus

Curious – it’s not in the ‘press room’ section of their website, either.

I’m especially keen to find out the amount of storage in the tablet portion, and the maximum amount of RAM possible. Anyone have any idea?

• Sahrin

For the same price?

If it doesn’t come with a digitizer pen you failed HP. If it does, this device is awesome and I’ll have two please.

• MadManOriginal

It’s similar to the way laptop pricing works in most cases.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m sure they’ll knock $1 off to account for the difference in raw materials if you call and ask nicely. :p

But really, for all we know, more of the 11″ panels they’re using are made than the 13″ one. The latter is exclusively a laptop sized panel, and since this is IPS, there aren’t going to be many of those to go around.

• Khali

They get points for the secondary battery in the keyboard.

• Duck

But they lose 100 points for being HP…