Deal of the week: A Radeon HD 7950 for $190, and other bargains

We’ve got a nice mix of hardware and game deals for your this week, including a steeply discounted Radeon graphics card:

• Newegg sells HIS’s Radeon HD 7950 HIS IceQ Boost for $189.99 after a $65 instant discount and a $15 mail-in rebate. The card has three gigs of RAM and a beefy, blower-style cooler that exhausts air directly outside the case. It’s also eligible for the Gold Reward tier of AMD’s Never Settle Forever promotion, so you can pick three games out of a selection of nine titles. Even excluding the mail-in rebate, this is a steal.
  • Newegg also has discounts on Core i5-4670K and Z87 motherboard combos. For instance, you can nab the processor with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H for $369.99 instead of $429.99. The i5-4670K is a quad-core, quad-thread Haswell chip with an unlocked upper multiplier. Check out our Haswell review for more details.
  • Still not played BioShock? Amazon offers Steam codes for all three BioShock games in a $19.99 triple pack. You can also buy a dual pack with just the first two titles (BioShock and BioShock 2) for $4.99. Not bad, especially since ordering BioShock Infinite directly from Steam will set you back $39.99 right now.

Our Canadian readers can’t partake in these deals—well, unless they have a guy across the border who can smuggle things across for them. Luckily, NCIX has plenty of Canuck-friendly deals up for grabs in its Fall Clearance Super Sale. Among them: a 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD.15 drive for $169.99 CAD and a 120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 solid-state drive for $93.99 CAD.

• kamikaziechameleon

With those prices you’d be tempted to buy Crossfire… if not for all the damning press for crossfire in the last week.

• brucethemoose

These 7950 prices are insane. I just got an IceQ X2 7950 off craigslist for $220, and I thought that was a decent deal.

On the other hand, I feel better about snagging a 4670k + mobo for $250.

• cynan

I just love how Newegg is so twitchy with their prices on certain things. Already there is an even cheaper [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127737<]HD 7950 after MIR, for $180[/url<]. Also at [url=http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127737<]Newegg.ca[/url<] for $195 after MIR. It just makes shopping at Newegg so much more fun! Particularly since they don't offer any sort of price guarantee like so many other retailers (ie, if the price drops within 7 days, etc, they refund the difference). "You've got to ask yourself one question [before you pull the trigger on that new video card this hour]. "Do I fell lucky?" Well do ya, punk?"

• Wildchild

It’s not worth the savings though. Those reference style coolers are pretty bad.

[url<]http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/01/amd-radeon-hd-7950-3gb-review/7950-11.jpg[/url<]

• cynan

Not the $10 difference in MIR, no. My comment was geared more toward Newegg’s recent frenetic price adjustments on stuff like this of late. And also just pointing out that there is at least one HD 7950 at close to $200 on the Canadian site (but for how long… dun-dun-dun…).

• Prestige Worldwide

newegg.ca’s next shellshocker is going to be a GTX Titan, I am interested to see how much it will be, but highly doubt it will dip beneath the price of a 780, which is still a lot of money.

• Deanjo

If that’s the case, might have to pick up a third Titan as they are well worth the money as a GPGPU developer.

• StainlessSteelMan

The Canadian site “newegg.ca” for the Radeon card shows $279.99 plus $13.64 shipping, but still gives you a choice of three games out of 9. FIRST price was more tempting.. Oh well, I have free medical insurance.

• jdaven

As the next gen release looms, its inventory cleaning time for the Radeon HD 7000 series.

• Wildchild

I have that same 7950. It’s pretty sweet and I haven’t had any problems with it. Stays cool, overclocks like a beast, and is reasonably quiet for a blower style cooler.

Thinking about getting another one now since AMD seems to have fixed their crossfire issues.

• cynan

If you already have an HD 7950, I think picking up a second at these prices is a no-brainer given it’s in the budget – at least if you are gaming at 2560×1440 or 2560×1600, or at 120 Hz. If not, then I’d probably wait and see what Hawaii brings to the table, as tempting as Titan performance for $400 may be.

• vargis14

I read the reviews on that card ..the cooler is great runs cool, quiet and overclocks like a beast. It runs so cool that upping the voltage i could see 1200 on the core easy.

• brucethemoose

I hear it’s actually the worst custom 7950 cooler, though it’s not bad for a blower and good for crossfire.

1200 is asking alot, but 1100-1150 should be easy.

• indeego

re: Crossfire
      Only like 8 years after introducing the technology. Well played ATI.

• mevans336

But it’s still orders of magnitude louder than the 660Ti at 50% and 100% load. 3dB and 6dB respectively. Ouch. It does manage to beat the 660Ti by 1dB at idle though.

• Wildchild

“Orders of magnitude” is a bit of a stretch. Like I said, it’s relatively quiet for a blower and, mind you, I owned a GTX 480 at one point in my life. I can tell you all about loud coolers.

• l33t-g4m3r

I’m a [i<]fan[/i<] of blowers, but this card was too big to fit in my case, and good luck for crossfire since the fan protrudes slightly past the 2nd slot. Don't know why AMD can't make small quiet blowers like nvidia, but that's one of the better cards if you got the room.